Start by marking “Until Today” as Want to Read:
Until Today

Until Today

Kat is alone with a secret she doesn't want to keep but can't risk telling. A victim of longtime sexual abuse at the hands of her family's trusted friend, Kat is torn between trying to protect herself and safeguarding her little sister, whom she fears might be next.
Greg is a clever and manipulative abuser who has Kat convinced that she is as much to blame for his behavio
Published September 23rd 2013 by Second Story Press (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Until Today, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Until Today

Start your review of Until Today
Morgan Shipman
TRIGGER WARNING!!!!!

This book really should come with a trigger warning. I found this book at the library to fulfill a book challenge for one of my reading groups and was unaware of the content of the book. However, as I began reading and realized the main premise of the book was child sexual abuse, I continued reading, as it was own fault for not doing research before beginning it. Typically I would use spoilers, though considering the trigger warnings all over this book, I will abstain from th
Corrina
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one of the books that I got at the OLA Super Conference this year. It’s a powerful look at the experience of child sexual abuse, especially coming from an author who freely admits that she also has had personal experience with mental and sexual abuse. Fluttert’s website talks about her work on the issue of childhood sexual abuse and with the group Yes YOUth Can which promotes inspirational youth.

Kat is basically a list of the warning signs of childhood abuse: loose, baggy, unappealing c
Meltem Y.K
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Until today by Pam Fluttert is a YK novel I could not put down. The subject matter is very sensitive. It’s the story of Kat, a young girl who was sexually abused by a friend of the family. Fluttert did a masterful job telling Kat’s story. This book was an eye opener for me, since the subject is taboo and one hardly hears about it in such a personal way. Learning about Kat’s big secret that she kept to herself all her life and the burden she carried made me feel her pain. I cheered for her and I ...more
Emily Kwak
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This thrilling, mysterious, and suspenseful young adult fiction book, "Until Today", by Pam Fluttert will urge you to keep reading. Kat has been holding onto this secret for as long as she can remember. She wants to let it all out, but she can't risk telling anybody. All she has is her and her journal; where all her secrets are written down. She has been a victim of sexual abuse since a young age; it's either protecting herself or her little sister.

A close family member has been sexually abusin
Em
Jan 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
The characters were one dimensional, they all sounded the same and had no defining personality. The plot wasn’t well developed, and there were a lot of hastily, magically resolved storylines, like the beginning of a few subplots that never really got the attention that was necessary. The characters were all annoying, even Kat, whom I was meant to sympathize with. It didn’t make for a very realistic story and the whole thing came off disorganized.
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
The style was great, really strong voice. The romance was understated, which is appropriate for the circumstances. The pacing was a little off, but it was a poignant take on an important subject.
Kaleena Van
This is a realistic fiction book because someone could have gone through this similar situation as Kat. The theme of the book is when you think you are in a bad situation you should go tell a trusted adult. Kat gets put into some not pleasant situations and she doesn’t know for sure what she should do about it. Once she told someone the problem go taken care of.

In this book the main character is Kat. Kat get sexually abuse by a family friend. She believes that no one will believe her if she tel
Terri
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, 4-stars
Review to be posted on http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/ on Oct 13th

I won this book from a giveaway on Goodreads in exchange for an honest review.

As I sit down to write out my thoughts I find that I am struggling to find the right words to describe my feelings towards the book. This book was an easy read in regards to the writing style, pace and general flow however it was a heavy read in regards to the topic.

Instead of following the usual format for a review I will instead choose to just sha
Kira
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This seems like an extremely important book. First off, let me start by saying that it's nearly impossible to find a book with this type of subject matter for a specific age group(juvenile fiction age 8-12). Most of these books range from the younger picture books to YA books which can be too graphic for middle age children. I really believe this is a disservice to this age group since it's at that time that most children are sexually or physically abused. Also, the way that Pam Fluttert handled ...more
Jonine Bergen
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-canadian
Pam Fluttert has taken the very difficult subject of sexual abuse and made it accessible to a younger audience. The use of the journal allows the reader to get a sense of the inner turmoil Kat is facing and is an excellent device to provide a intimate inner voice as a foil to the more impersonal third person narrative used to advance the plot.

Fluttert has a lot going on in her plot but she has kept the language simple and description sparse. Because of her delicate touch, the novel is appropria
Stephanie
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Until Today provides an interesting perspective about how sexual abuse can affect a family as well as the direct victim (Kat). The feelings and behaviours exhibited by Kat provide a realistic insight into this serious topic. Written in true young adult style (nothing too graphic, but not "censored"), this book offers its readers an understanding of how it can be difficult for a victim to "just tell someone" and yet at the same time, it also provides a message of encouragement for victims to reac ...more
Denise Berube
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book through Goodreads and I would like to thank Pam Fluttert for sending me this book, I am grateful for having had the chance to read it.

Until Today is a touching and moving book on the issue of child sexual abuse. It is a realistic read on how this very traumatic experience can impact a victim's life and affect family, friends and relationships. Until Today is a must read for anyone who may feel that they are alone and have no one to turn to and for those who wish to have a be
T.M. Carper
Mar 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Hopefully anyone in an abusive situation like Kat or worse would be inspired to tell their story and get help after reading this. The author does a good job giving a look into an abuse victim's mind and the self-doubt, the guilt, and threats that often occur.

It's a lighter version than abuse often is, which makes it easier to read. That means younger teens can read this as well. It's a short read that packs a punch in the gut.

Pamela
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
While there need to be more books that take on this subject, this one was not very authentic. Things wrapped up a little too nicely and did not depict the true devastation that sexual abuse victims have to deal with for years and years beyond the time that the abuse stops. Also, most survivors/victims are not automatically believed by others as Kat was. The characters were very flat in this book. I'd give it a 2 1/2 if I could, but couldn't give it a 3.
ariel Calderon
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
whoa to have something like that happen to you is just sad. That sick bastered glad that they found out the truth. poor Kat she had to face that almost all her life but know she has her family with het.
Siti Nur
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The subject, sexual abuse, is a very sensitive topic as it can affect her family. Pam Fluttert is able to make me feel how Kat felt. Once I started reding this book, I cannot put the book down. This book is a must read
Robin
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
A good effort on a difficult subject, but I found the issues with the writing to be distracting. There were times when I had no idea where the characters were, the dialogue had issues, and some of the characters and scenes were just not written in a way that I could suspend disbelief.
Monica Lukudu
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This books was good. It made you feel her emotions.
Sabra Gerber
Sep 02, 2014 marked it as to-read
For readers who liked speak?
Danielle
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it

Kat Thompson is being sexually abused by her dad's best friend, Greg. The only thing she confides in is her journal but when it goes missing, she has to tell someone.
Susan Earle
Aug 21, 2014 rated it liked it
A tough read. This fictional account of a sensitive and devastatingly difficult issue was well done.
Grace Stocco
Tanisha Armstrong
Dec 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Mirror Mirror
  • Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1)
  • The Only Pirate at the Party
  • The Smell of Other People's Houses
  • Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
  • The Caller (Robert Hunter, #8)
  • These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1)
  • Chips, Beans and Limousines: The Fantastic Diary of Bathsheba Clarice de Trop! (The Diaries of Bathsheba Clarice de Trop, #1)
  • Doughnuts, Dreams and Drama Queens: The Theatrical Third Diary of Bathsheba Clarice de Trop! (The Diaries of Bathsheba Clarice de Trop, #3)
  • Socks, Shocks and Secrets: The Spectacular Second Diary of Bathsheba Clarice de Trop (The Diaries of Bathsheba Clarice de Trop, #2)
  • Salvage (Salvage #1)
  • La vita felice
  • Sleep
  • Hide (Detective D.D. Warren, #2)
  • An Evil Mind (Robert Hunter, #6)
  • We All Looked Up