Start by marking “Circuit of Heaven” as Want to Read:
Circuit of Heaven

Circuit of Heaven

(Circuit of Heaven #1)

The body is baggage. The soul is expendable.

Nemo's mother and father left him behind to enter "the Bin"--joining twelve billion uploaded personalities who live in crime-free, disease-free and deathless virtual societies.

Nemo has come of age on a dangerous, near-deserted planet populated by a handful of stragglers: religious fundamentalists and rebels, the creeps and the cr
Published January 1st 1999 by Eos (first published February 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Circuit of Heaven, please sign up.

Start your review of Circuit of Heaven
Heidi The Reader
"Is not God in the height of heaven? And behold the height of the stars, how high they are. And thou sayest, How doth God know? Can he judge through the dark cloud? Thick clouds are a covering to him, that he seeth not; and he walketh in the circuit of heaven." pg 14

Humanity has created a computer program that can contain a person's soul within its code. The programmers have made a new world — one without disease, violence or hunger, where those who leave their bodies behind and enter it, can li
Jul 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a mindbending sci-fi love story
I love my dystopian futures, and Circuit of Heaven is a good, novel one, because while there are still a few hold-outs in the rapidly degrading world, most people have been "uploaded" to a new world that's practically perfect in every way. The center story of this novel is the love story of Nemo and Justine, but I found myself way more interested in the various side characters and how they dealt with the strange dual nature of the world.
Bart Everson
Apr 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: octavia-sf
Petabyte
Aug 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bibliophilo, scifi
Heartbreaking. And you thought that scifi couldn't be emotional.
o
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the best science fiction novels I've read in quite some time. Left me with a lot to ponder about, writing was absolutely fantastic.
loulou
Jan 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Anyone who's spent a lot of time on the net must wonder, "What if I could just crawl in and stay there? Jump from site to site? Be finally and totally virtual myself?" That's almost what this story is like. In the future, the "real world" is full of disease, crime, starvation, etc. You know, the typical Mad Max kind of stuff. But. There's a new answer in the "bin." You get yourself, minus your body, uploaded into the bin and live there, forever. No sickness. No crime. No aging. Anything you want ...more
Cheryl
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Romantic SciFi set in a world after most of the residents have left to load themselves into a virtual eternity. If any of that sounds interesting to you then you should give Circuit to Heaven a try.

Complicated and thought provoking. This has been one of my favorite books for years. I absolutely love it.
Sara
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg! I finally found this book. I read it multiple times years ago and either lent it out or lost it??! Probably former ... amazing. Finally searched right key words and found the title. So good!
Kathleen Dixon
I’d either forgotten, or I’d never quite realised, that End of Days (which I read last year, I think) is preceded by this book. I will have to, at some future date, re-read the two in the correct order. However, it didn’t matter.

So, forgetting End of Days for a while, I’ll consider this book only:

We’re about a hundred years in the future (the dates are given somewhere, but I didn’t keep them in mind), and several billion of the earth’s population have uploaded themselves into the Bin. The Bin is
Sanuk
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a science fiction novel with a love story. Two concepts are explored: the virtual world and constructs which are living being made up of fragments of memories and personalities of a few human beings.

Nemo lives in the real world while his parent and most of the population of earth is now living in the "Bin", a virtual world where people have downloaded themselves for eternity. The real world is harsh but Nemo does not want to go to the virtual world as it does not seem real to him. Howeve
Sammy Kohli
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Tasula
Nov 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
SF story where a virtual world is created, and people can transfer their minds to live there- never (mentally) dying. Meanwhile, a group of devout people who consider the virtual world ungodly, live on in the depleted earth. Hero's parents moved to the virtual world, leaving him behind with a caretaker. He resents them and their world, until he falls in love.
Jessica Robinson
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book several times in the past 20 years and always enjoy it when I do. Obviously since this was written in the 90's there are some technical advances that the author missed but I think he does a good job talking about the dilemma of a digital paradise.
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
please see my review for End of Days, which basically includes discussion of both books. ...more
Tyler Bladyka
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Who loves random cyberpunk nonsense? I do! this was fun, readable, nothing special. Cool concept which is all I really need.
J.A.
Jan 15, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
NoveList Plus gives it this read alike: Neuromancer by William Gibson. ...more
Julius Alpay
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book with an interesting concept. Characters are well drawn out with a nice build up to the end of the book.
Melissa Herrmann
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was just as awesome as I remembered! I'm so glad I found it as an e-book and was able to re-read it.
Michelle
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read this in high school and liked it pretty well back then since it dealt with the idea of digitizing consciousness, and I hadn't read a book that did that before. I couldn't quite remember how things turned out, only that there was some kind of twist. So I read it again as an adult, and even though I couldn't remember the details of what had happened, I found the book to be really predictable by the way the author handled the plot. The writing's not bad, but it's not that good, either. It's ...more
Claudia
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
A science fiction book with a frightening realistic future and a theme close enough to my favorite 'Star-Crossed-Lovers" to be enjoyable. Imagine a virtual world that seems idyllic but never ends, and a real world destroyed by war where one has to fight to survive. Nemo prefers the latter, but is in love with Justine who lives in the former - dilemma! And there there is my favorite character (or should I say characters?): Lawrence - wouldn't we all want to have our own Lawrence?
I loved this book
Courtney
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
The book started out with potential but lost my interest about half-way through. My thinking is that the problem lies in too many roles and too few characters. What you end with is a large number of contrived situations where characters magically align. And what characters do exist are largely flat. This book also has the habit of hinting at deeper philosophical questions but leaving them largely untouched.
Jeff Hrusko
Jul 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
I was a little to quck to judge this book. The plots is mutli-layered, interesting once youo get passed the inital layer.

All it all it was an enjoyable read.

The author touched on some thing, like a entity made up of three personalities, which I think could have been move developed.
Darusha Wehm
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
The SFnal elements were quite interesting, and I really liked the ambiguousness of the morality of abandoning the physical world.

The plot was predictable, though, and many of the characters fairly wooden. It felt somewhat like it had been dumbed down to fit the YA market, though there was enough sex and language to make me think that wasn't the case.

Worth reading for the neat ideas.
Steven
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a fairly pleasant and easy read, but it does not bear thinking about. There are some *enormous* holes in the book - suspension of disbelief is stretched too far as reasonable thermodynamics and economics are shattered, and the disconnects between the two main characters' stated motivations and actions are very strong. It's an interesting but not terribly plausible world.

Christine
Jul 06, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: abandoned
I picked up this book as an ebook to read on a trip; I started reading it but then got a couple more library books in so have abandoned this one. It is okay so far (maybe 1/4 way through) but hasn't grabbed me enough to keep me from switching to my new library books
Anonymole
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Well designed and thought out. I even emailed the author and he replied... Sing me another one, Aimee Mann.
Melissa Braden
Jul 29, 2009 rated it liked it
It's scifi and romance. What's not to like?
Doug
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting take on one possible "singularity" and its political and religious implications.
Matthew
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Not big on the religious elements as they seemed tacked on to an otherwise interesting concept. Could've been shorter.
Caseyruth
Sep 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
It was okay but not good enough for me to recommend to anyone else.

• The Girl Beneath the Sea (Underwater Investigation Unit #1)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • The House We Grew Up In
  • The Good Neighbor: The Life and Work of Fred Rogers
  • The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor #1)
  • Dog Island (Tom McInnes, #2)
  • Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been
  • The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea
  • The Third Wife
  • How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps
  • The Queen's Road
  • Andrea Vernon and the Corporation for UltraHuman Protection (Andrea Vernon, #1)
  • The Joy of Missing Out: Live More by Doing Less
  • Reflections (Indexing, #2)
  • Ladies Man (Laura Cardinal #5)
  • The Game of Luck (Felicia Sevigny, #3)
  • Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President
  • Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles, #3)

Circuit of Heaven (2 books)
  • End of Days