Start by marking “Anandamath” as Want to Read:
Anandamath

Anandamath

Originally written in 1882, by Bankim Chandra Chatterjee Anandamath takes the reader back to Bengal in the clutches of the famine, the backdrop of the pre-independence struggle and the turmoil of human lives caught in this frame of time. The plot of the novel reveals the various dimensions of life in the backdrop of the Sannyasi Rebellion—such as the plight of the people w ...more
Published January 15th 2006 by ORIENT PAPERBACKS (first published 1882)

To ask other readers questions about Anandamath, please sign up.

Hirdesh
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Lovely read.
I felt so much enthusiastic while reading it.
It was so eloquently written along with brilliance of Hindi Language and including SANSKRIT AND BANGLA PHRASES.
I guess , Every Indian reader should need to read it once.
I've enjoyed every word , It was like I was drinking water and pursuing elixir of life.
Ashish Iyer
Really inspired by the work of Bankim Chandra Chatterjee. Books like this make you think deep. Lovely translation. I am sure it must be better written in Bengali with a deeper meaning and better style. Translating Vande Mataram as a poem in to English is unreal and can never have the magical touch as Sanskrit. Vande mataram sounds better than Mother I salute to thee. The narrative of this book is based around a holy man who inspires and motivates people to forgo everything for India's independen ...more
Rajeev Roshan
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
दोसतों यह पुसतक मैं कितनी बार पढ चूका हूँ शायद मुझे इसका जञान भी नहीं। जब मुझे उपनयास शबद से कोई सरोकार नहीं था उस समय यह पुसतक अनोखे तरीके से मेरे हाथ लगी। मुझे यह पुसतक मेरी माता जी के कारन परापत हुआ । उनहोंने इस पुसतक को संभल कर रखा हुआ था । जब एक दिन मेरी माता जी घर में सफाई कर रही थी, अपने पुराने दसतावेजो में से फालतू कागज को निकल रही थी तब मैंने यह पुसतक देखी और उठा ली । पहला पनना पलट कर देखा तो ये लाइन लिखी हुई थी -

वनदे मातरम।
सुजलां सुफलां मलयजशीतलाम,
शसयशयामलां मातरम। वनदे मातरम ।।१।।

शुभ
Nandini Goel
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Anandmath" by Bankim Chandra Chatterjee is one of those books which can never fail to precipitate the feeling of nationalism in the mind of an Indian reader. The plot of the story, touches various segments of the pre-Independence India, whether it is the plight of the people during the Bengal Famine, where hunger turn humans to cannibals or the women's equal participation in the revolutionary activities along their husbands. The unjust tax policies had forced the people of Northern Bengal to ag ...more
Belinda
I admit I would never have thought to read this book if it hadn't been assigned for class. Yet, even so, I thought it was a surprisingly good read. Definitely poetic, but also with rather dense with descriptions of Hindu religious life. The introduction was a tough read, a very rigorous study of the text, but it was definitely helpful in understanding the importance of the novel. At least skim it...but if you have a copy, definitely read the novel!
Ravi
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hemant Kumar
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sanaatan dharma is dynamic and adapts to time and situation. The author describes the sanaatan dharma for that time period through the words and activities of Santaan-s. Excluding the last 5 pages which perhaps were written to bypass the British censure at the time, the book describes the condition of our beloved motherland and our duties for its upliftment. (The Muslims could very well be substituted by the British and a message for independence struggle could be given very easily, and this hap ...more
Avaneesh Kumar
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A must read for every Patriot
Manish Raj
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vande Mataram !!
Azmain Tur
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
। আননদমঠঃ বঙকিমের রাষটরপরকলপ ও অনযানয ।

বঙকিমচনদর চটটোপাধযায়ের লেখকজীবনের চৌদদ উপনযাসের মধযে বারোতম 'আননদমঠ' পড়া হলো। পাঠ-পরবরতী অনুভূতি বেশ মিশর এবং কয়েকভাবে দবিধাসংকুল।
আননদমঠ বঙকিমের কাহিনীপরধান উপনযাসগুলার মধযে নাই, এখানে কাহিনী খুব গুরুতবপূরণ কিছু হিসেবে আনেননি লেখক। যা এসেছে, মোটা দাগে দুটিকে পরধান করা যায়- দরশন-রাষটরভাবনা, এবং বরণনা ভাষা পরসঙগ।
বঙকিমের পরথমদিকের উপনযাস ধরে বুঝতে গেলে দুরগেশননদিনী কিংবা কপালকুণডলা-র কথা বলা ভালো। উকত পরবের উপনযাসসমূহের পরধান পরবণতা নর-নারীকেনদরিক, তাদের ভা
Ravi Sharma
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is precious and no Indian worth her salt can be unbiased while writing a review of this gem of a book. We have been brought up singing 'Vande Mataram' which is a principal song of the sons; the protagonists.
The book is also precious because it gives a glimpse of the life and times of Bengal during Bankim Chandra. The view that English are ethical and neutral to the struggles of the common mass is amusing. One can find traces of nascent Indian nationalism. This is a book which needs to b
Anish Kumar
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this great piece of work is more than just a novel. I was so hooked to this novel that i finished it in 2 days. The way the story is written all the characters ..everything is perfect. I was not aware that vande maatram was taken after this novel bt alas it couldt b our national anythem. If u r indian then definitely read this and i bet u wont b disappointed.
Siddharth Maheshwari
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hindi
British rule has been admired. The message to fight British is implicit as the author had to get the books through the British censor. The geet "Vande Matram" is highly energizing.
Sumit Murari
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too bold of a writing, hard words. It gives insight of that time, what probably was going on. Simple read, but that sort of story at those situation, how sanyasi took upon himself and leading it, while they were just being coward and staying would probably would've hit some spark among young.

Battle/fight should have been more tactful, but were preety nice and simple.

More books i'm reading, just seeing how other males look out women, the way they define makes me think, this is how all that work
Nikhil
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
भला मैं इस अदभुत साहितयकृति की कया समीकषा करूं? मेरी उतनी योगयता नहीं।
भारतवरष के लोकसाहितय इतिहास में इस महान कथा का सवरणिम सथान है। जिसने वंदे मातरम मंतर हमें दिया उस गरंथको और उसके गरंथकार को शत शत नमन।
बस एक बात आखिर में हृदय को चुभ गयी। जिस संनयासी विदरोह का अतीवसुंदर, वीररस तथा भकतिरस पूरण वरणन इस कथा में किया है उसकी समापति मलेचछ राज नषट करके सवतंतरता की जगह कंपनी राज लाने में हुई। इति: परभुकी इचछा!

🙏हरे मुरारे मधुकैटभारे।
वंदे मातरम🙏
Anish Kumar
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solute and respect to this novel

What a novel..i dont even think its a novel..the way its been written..story..dialogues..everything is impeccable. I wonder if this really was written in 1876. As an indian everyone should read this novel i finished it in 2 days. U cant put the book down. Amazing read. This also has a history of vandematram. This is a treassure needs to b preserved.
Bharti
The narration of rising above the desires and desired ..
The beautiful capture of how one rises above the self and works for the greater cause ...
The churning one goes through is something desirable..
Rishav Agarwal
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
First published in 1882 I can only imagine how inspiring this must have been to the people of India back then. Although the killing seemed wanton at times, but I do not consider myself fit to pass that judgement.
Looking forward to reading this in Bengali.
Sankalp Singh
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A patriotic saga with a twist in the end.

A patriotic saga with a twist in the end. Needs some reading between the lines and understanding of modern Indian history to get to the real message in the book. No wonder it was the "Gita" of the Indian Revolutionary movement.
Harsha Pandey
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
abound with the feelings of patriotism with a slight sprinkle of spicy romantic story. Liked reading it as it is radical for an era in which it was written. My regards and reverence to the great martyrs and to the writer.
Swagatika Mohapatra
A great classic will ever be remain classic with all aspects of writing and while reading it an absorbed reader can have a heavenly feeling of drinking from the nectar and simply mesmerized by the scenic beauty of this writing grandeur.
Rohit Kumar
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reason behind the establishment of British Governance.

A little bit biased towards Hinduism. But a nice coverage of famine situation and a war between ruthless governance. A well established reason behind the requirement of British Governance. A defeat over victory.
Ishaan
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book in which the song Vande Mataram was written. This book represents a turning point in Indian History. I would recommend the reader to consciously imagine the scenarios mentioned in the book, and I'm sure it will give you goosebumps.
Yash Sharma
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An Indian author's account of Sanyasi Rebellion and Pre-Independence India. Also, in this book Vande Mataram was first published. I enjoyed this book and finished in a day. If you are interested in Indian History and Pre-Independence India then you will like this book.
Vivek Chirania
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much energy in the translated version!! Want to see what the original Bengali version was, fit enough to provoke a revolution at that time and stay banned till independence. :D
Basudev Acharya
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book on patriotism. In this book, Bankim babu has nicely pictured the glimpses of the then Bengali society.
Kallol Roy
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read this book in Bengali.
Byabang AD
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Best Indian classic I’ve read so far.
Vinay Kumar
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The original Indian National Song was adopted from this book. It is amazing. Style is exceptional.
Gwen
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want a taste of a modern Indian novel, this is beautiful.
  • Pather Dabi: The Right of Way
  • প্রথম আলো ১
  • The Alhambra
  • It Does Not Die
  • হরিপুরের হরেক কাণ্ড
  • The Humanistic Tradition: Prehistory to the Early Modern World (The Humanistic Tradition, #1)
  • Nirmala
  • বিশ্বাসঘাতক
  • শঙ্কু সমগ্র
Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay (Bengali: বঙকিম চনদর চটটোপাধযায) ('Chattopadhyay' in the original Bengali; 'Chatterjee' as spelt by the British) was a Bengali poet, novelist, essayist and journalist, most famous as the author of Vande Mataram or Bande Mataram, that inspired the freedom fighters of India, and was later declared the National Song of India.

Complete works of Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay
“মীরজাফর গুলি খায় ও ঘুমায়। ইংরেজ টাকা আদায় করে ও ডেসপাচ লেখে। বাঙ্গালি কাঁদে আর উৎসন্ন যায়।” 4 likes
“You just robbed a revenue cart.’ ‘That was neither stealing nor robbery. Whose money did we capture?’ ‘Why, the King’s!’ ‘King’s, you say! What right has an English King to the wealth of our land?” 2 likes