Start by marking “The Little Book of Thin: Foodtrainers Plan-It-to-Lose-It Solutions for Every Diet Dilemma” as Want to Read:

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  125 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The ultimate cheat sheet that sets out a workable and flexible plan for successful weight loss to fit every lifestyle and diet choice. In this ?worst-case diet survival handbook", nutritionist and founder of Foodtrainers?, Lauren Slayton offers strategies and tips to avoid the most disastrous diet booby traps. Along with her no-nonsense nutrition and exercise advice, reade ...more
Published December 31st 2013 by TarcherPerigee

To ask other readers questions about The Little Book of Thin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Book of Thin

Sara
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I found it really difficult to review this book. On the one hand, I was happy to see a list of what to do and what not to do in terms of healthy eating, but I also felt like a lot of her advice was questionable and even condescending at times. Let me just say, I'm happy I got this book for free (thanks, Perigee, for the ARC) because I would not have been happy if I'd paid for a book that took this attitude, and I certainly would not pay an RD to talk to me like this or to tell me I'm no longer a ...more
Jenny
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
As mentioned, this books has some positives and some negatives. To me, the negatives had a longer lasting impression.

For some of the positives:
- set specific goals and methods for people who are looking for a strict way to manage their weight
- good set of healthy recipes at the end which seem straight-forward and tasty

On the other hand, I found myself repeatedly shaking my head at the book as I was reading. Slayton recommends extensive exercise. 240 minutes of cardio per week? Really? (granted t
Becki Iverson
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
After flying through this book, I can easily understand why it's such a hit right now. It's one of the rare educational books that manages to be pretty, concise, easy to read, and informational all at the same time. Finishing each chapter feels like an accomplishment, like you've learned a lot (if you haven't done much reading on eating/living healthfully before, that is), and all in all this is definitely a good primer for people looking for basic ways to boost their overall well-being.

I'd say
Correen
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it

There are some interesting rules and reminders. The book overall is rather cute and gimmicky but some of that is helpful. I will remember the one in four rule -- when eating our choose one of booze, bread, starchy side, or dessert. Forgo the rest. I will need to check the science but the need for Vitamin D and Omega-3 also made sense. They are things I need anyway so it is just another reminder.

I thought it was worth reading as it organized information more than brought new ideas.
Christine
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I should start this review by saying that I was fortunate to receive this book for free through the Goodreads First Reads Giveaways program.

When I entered the drawing I think that I misunderstood what this book was, the title “The Little Book of Thin: Foodtrainers Plan-It-to-Lose-It Solutions for Every Diet Dilemma” and the description lead me to believe it was a collection of tips and solutions for how not to cheat on your diet (whatever diet that you may choose to follow). That seemed perfect
Felicia
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this book IS REALLY USEFUL. There are many good examples to follow up and teaches you that how skinny people stay skinny. I've learnt a lot and decided to make good use of the method. Also, there are some cartoon sketches which makes the book really interesting and i personally like the sketches of the woman! It make this book looks more friendly and fun! Also, it's a thin and slim book and i finished reading within 2 days and is easy to carry around.
Here are some examples:
-People pay a
Tima
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Dieting has so many negative connotations to it. The author is a nutritionist who has broken down the steps that are normally taken to lose weight and dissected what makes them work or fail. A little planning can change your diet into a lifestyle that will help you lose weight without the ups and downs, disappointments, and confusion.

There are several of her recommendations that won't work for me. Several of them (1 carb a day, eat lots of fish protein) are unrealistic for me and my lifestyle.
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm a little mixed on this book. I loved the first few chapters and thought the author gave great tips for still enjoying certain foods (and wine) but as the book progressed I found the tone to be condescending and the advice to be drastic. I agree with not letting loose at every birthday party or holiday but I wasn't inspired by the judgmental turn this book seemed to take about halfway through. Loved the parts about food planning and portion control and will incorporate that into my day but co ...more
Lyn
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to seriously lose excess weight
Recommended to Lyn by: Goodreads Giveaway
Disclosure -- Goodreads giveaway. Very pleasantly surprised with this sweet nugget of a book. The author pulls no punches in what it takes to shed unwanted weight, yet her style is so engaging and humorous! Only reason I didn't give the book five stars: I personally don't think there are foods you should eliminate from your diet forever. That's just me. I think it's realistic. Yet here I sit with unwanted excess pounds so who am I to judge. Like she says, How's that working for you? Entertaining ...more
Jamie
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Little Book of Thin is full of great tips and strategies for losing weight and actually keeping it off. Love the planning aspect, and Slayton makes it fun too with ideas like "skinny starts sunday". An easy, funny and slightly snarky read I definitely recommend to anyone jumping on the resolution bandwagon and trying to get healthy.
Kandace Keefer
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read, Good Tips!

I liked the no-nonsense approach to diet, nutrition and lifestyle in the LBT. This is a quick read, full of great do's and don'ts. Laura Slayton knows what it takes to be slim and healthy and outlines the changes the reader needs to make in order to reach his/her goals.
Carolyn Brown
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is not your average diet/health book with calorie counting and boring rules. The Little Book of Thin is super fun and easy to read with down to earth and practical tips. I especially love the 10 steps to svelte which sets you up with the basics. It uncomplicates all the dieting drama and healthy eating advice out there. Love it!!!
Heaether
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great diet book for people who hate diet books. The rules are easy to follow and the author lists doable guidelines for weight loss.
Lisa Selden
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Quick and entertaining book on nutrition. Even if you feel like you are knowledgeable about food and eating, you will learn some new tidbits in The Little Book of Thin.
Eric
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. This was a short, fun book with plenty of good weight loss tips. The book includes several recipes as well.
Danielle
Apr 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This book had some good insights/takeaways in changing how/what you eat. I'm not sure how realistic it would be for the average person to follow completely and achieve success.
Terri
Nov 23, 2014
Amy
Jan 06, 2015
Jenni
rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2015
Dec 06, 2013
Kristen Iriarte
Aug 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The 28 Days Lighter Diet: Your Monthly Plan to Lose Weight, End PMS, and Achieve Physical and Emotional Wellness
  • The Nutrition Twins' Veggie Cure: Expert Advice and Tantalizing Recipes for Health, Energy, and Beauty
  • Izzy and Poe
  • ...is less.
  • Schedule Me Skinny: Plan to Lose Weight and Keep It Off in Just 30 Minutes a Week
  • Chia: 75 RECIPES FOR BOOSTING STAMINA, WEIGHT LOSS, AND IMMUNITY
  • Starting an Etsy Business for Dummies
  • 1 Year, 100 Pounds: My Journey to a Better, Happier Life
  • The Great Cholesterol Myth Cookbook: Recipes and Meal Plans That Prevent Heart Disease--Naturally
  • Quantum Wellness: A Transformative Guide to Health, Happiness and a Better World
  • The Happy Couple: How to Make Happiness a Habit One Little Loving Thing at a Time
  • The Italian Cookbook for Beginners: Over 100 Classic Recipes with Everyday Ingredients
  • Pirates of the Outrigger Rift (Kindle Serial)
  • Food Addiction: The Body Knows
  • Roasting-A Simple Art
  • The Beck Diet Weight Loss Workbook: The 6-Week Plan to Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person
  • Keeping Your Kids Out of the Emergency Room: A Guide to Childhood Injuries and Illnesses
  • The Mediterranean Diet