Start by marking “After the Storm (KGI, #8)” as Want to Read:
After the Storm (KGI, #8)

After the Storm

(KGI #8)

The Kelly Group International (KGI): A super-elite, top secret, family-run business.

Qualifications: High intelligence, rock-hard body, military background.

Mission: Hostage/kidnap victim recovery. Intelligence gathering. Handling jobs the U.S. government can’t…

Over the years, Donovan Kelly has fought relentlessly for justice, women and children always holding a special
Mass Market Paperback, 392 pages
Published January 7th 2014 by Berkley

Jess
Nov 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
DNF - 70%

Oh boy. I hate not finishing this book (or any book really), but I just couldn't keep going. When the KGI series first came out, I loved it. I loved the mix of suspense with the romance that yes, from the start bordered on over the top but the combination worked. Lately, the over the topness is so much it's ridiculous to me.

With After the Storm, I had to keep reminding myself that this was in fact a KGI book, because even 70% in, there's no KGI mission, no feel of the teams and the sus
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️
DNF at 90% people.

Wow. I had to DNF at 90% because I couldn't take this pansified, holier than Jesus gush fest anymore. I can't believe this drivel. And from a Maya Banks KGI book. What is the book world coming to...

This was just awful. Donovan was freaktastic. He seriously decides Eve and her siblings are HIS after meeting them for all of 15 minutes. He tells a 4 year old he loves her after knowing her all of 2 days. Cause that's totally normal. And then he announces to them all that he wants
Victoria
Jun 18, 2013 rated it did not like it

I can't believe I'm saying this but DNF at 85% because I just can't make myself care. I don't know if Maya Banks is mad at Donovan or what but he is absolutely the worst KGI hero EVER.

If you are a fan of KGI, you won't be able to imagine what the author has done to Donovan. He is a total sap and I don't mean in a sweet way either. He falls in love and basically adopts a family after meeting this girl briefly two times. To hear him go on and on about how he feels and what he wants and their futur
Auntee
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the series--you may be disappointed though
Oh my. Where to begin? This could've been soooo good...if only I believed in this instant romance. But sadly, I couldn't. So call me disappointed.:(

KGI is one of my favorite romantic suspense series. I've read every book--some I liked better than others but all were enjoyable. And I couldn't wait for Donovan's book. It should've been something special. He deserved it. He was a sweetheart, a friend to women and children. A nerdy badass with a heart of gold. But in this book he just came off as de
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
 photo wtf_zps1e715b59.gif

Wow I am at a loss... Wtf! I have loved every book in this series and they have all been 5 stars to me and I loved Van in all the other books, but oh wow this was a miss for me...
Van and Eve's love felt fake, forced, rushed and Van seem desperate . It just didn't work for me and that makes me sad I was really looking forward to Van's story. Disappointed! I only gave it 3 stars for Rusty and Sean now their story I can't wait to read!!!
Kelli C ~ Jack Sawyer's Heart
I cannot believe3 that I just gave a Maya Banks book a 1*, especially a KGI book! But truth be told, I got to 82% and well, I just didn't finish it...so I cant do much more than that.

I have no idea what has happened to this series. I love military themed, covert ops, hot alpha rescuing men, damsels in distress, and love under intense circumstance type reads. When I started the KGI series, I became a fan of Maya Banks and could not get enough of the Kelly family. I have set my expectations so hig
Holly
Jun 27, 2013 marked it as to-read
December 31st is too far away!!! Also I hope this series expands to the Titan group. I'm dying to know Hancocks deal!!
Shawna
3 stars – Contemporary Romance

There’s been insta-love in this series before that worked for me, but this time around it felt ridiculously fast and just too unbelievable. The story dragged and seemed repetitive at times and the suspense aspect was minimal. There are some moving, sentimental moments with lots of Kelly clan closeness, including the great epilogue, and I came close to tearing up at one point. But I felt like there was too much filler and that it could have been a novella.

I’m still a
Audrey
Jan 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Disappointed. I am really losing hope. The serie was kicking ass with the first books, but since Echoes at dawn, it goes down and down and down.
The story start well though and I had great hope that Maya Banks have find her "thing" again. But I don't know if it's an editing issue and they wanted to reduced the volume of the book, but how can you believe that the main character of the book Donovan fall in love in not even 2 days of the girl.
And there is too many cheesy lines after lines of cheesy
Nikki
Jun 13, 2013 marked it as to-read
OMG I NEED THIS NOW!!! I LOVE VAN!!!
Laura the Highland Hussy
Read this review at Got Fiction? Books

I love insta-lust/love-at-first-sight plots, and we all know I love a good alpha hero, I even dig on those less-popular alphahole heroes. But this book’s hero rubbed me the wrong way. Actually a few things about this book bugged me. The first thing that bothered me is that the whole first few chapters are told from the perspective of Rusty, not the heroine. I know she’s a part of the Kelly family, and for KGI fans, this may not bother you the way it did me,
Alex is The Romance Fox
I have read all of the KGI series and liked most of them and I was really looking forward to Donovan’s story……just so you know, I hate the Van side of his name…………after all, the Kelly brothers and their families are a favorite of mine.
But, wow…what a disappointment – and I don’t just mean the Van thing!!!!
Donovan’s “behavior” in After the Storm just did not do it for me! I mean, he meets this young woman, Eve, who is on the run from her wicked and evil stepfather who has been abusing her half-br
Amanda
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
it's true there is no official kgi mission (Maya addressed this on Facebook) but I enjoyed the latest kgi book. it was set at home and we caught up with the family. a pressing question was answered at the end of chapter 21 (total happy fist pump here!). yes the plot is love/lust at first sight but I felt it went with what we know of Van. no the action isn't heart pounding constantly on the run while the h&h fall in love it was at home which I felt was a nice refreshing twist.
Jenn Scranton
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Ok, I have fully digested this book. Not my favorite KGI. That being said THIS IS NOT A BOOK BASH! Maya Banks is my favorite author and she has done a fantastic job. It just didn't work for me, that's all.

I would have liked it if it wasn't so insta-love. Perhaps if they had build a small report between them. You know? At least a week? Something? That was just a bit much.

Also, did anyone notice how it seemed like the family was trying to sell us on KGI? I think if you were reading this book, you
Trish
I enjoyed this book but it was not my favorite of the KGI series. I really wanted Van's story to be awesome but I will probably forget the story by the end of year. It was cute at times and the storyline was good but the meat of the story was lacking.
Priyanka *The Book Ninja*
Jun 27, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: top-tbr
OMG... I am waiting for Don's book from so long.
Can't wait...please...please...please... try to release the book early.
December is too far.

ETA: Just noticed, the book will be released in 2014. Well that kinda sucks. Still I hope this date is the final one. No more delay please!!!
Tammy  Zautner
Nov 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Sigh, very very sad right now! I have been dying for Van's story for years now (since KGI first came out, he has always intrigued me). The last thought I ever entertained was that it would falter for me. The thought of giving Van a star rating less than a 4 honestly makes me cringe. I'm beginning to think it may be time for me to walk away from Maya all together. Lately her books have been a huge hit and miss for me.

My rating system for After the Storm goes a little something like this...

Donovan
Nicole
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2014/01/08/...

I was so excited to read Donovan’s story, because I absolutely fell in love with him from the first book. However, this series has had quite a few bumpy moments over the past 4-5 books. While I went into this book optimistic, I was pretty annoyed with the end result.

Donovan has always had a soft spot for women and children. He does anything and everything he can to protect them every chance he gets. When Rusty introduces him
Lauren
After the Storm
1 Star

Beware! Rant ahead!

OMG! What in the name of all that is holy was that?!

It is virtually impossible to associate this book with the rest of the KGI series. The writing is simply appalling with repetitive scenes and word choices, the characterization is completely incomprehensible and the plot is one of the more ridiculous out there.

Donovan, the sexy, geeky Kelly brother, who had such amazing potential in the previous books, is barely recognizable in the borderline psychotic
Steph
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to say too much here because I hate being really negative... but wow! I am in shock, I think.
I am actually really struggling to find something I did like about this book.

I have loved Donovan from the very beginning and have been highly anticipating his story for the last three or four books. But sadly his story was a huge disappointment.

Donovan met Eve and immediately claimed that she and her siblings were 'his'. That he knew she was the one and would give his life to protect t
Chitra *CJ*
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Around three years ago I was traumatized by "Shades of Gray" and decided to avoid KGI series for a while (I did read Forged in Steele though).
I returned to it, after 3 years with "After the Storm", which is Donovan and Eve's story.
Eve is a 24 year old Belle, on the run with her step siblings Travis and Cammie, until she comes across Rusty, and ultimately Donovan.
We know Donovan has had a soft spot for damsels in distress and kids, and has always wanted a family- so when he finally looks at Eve
Brittany
Jan 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Um ok so I finished the book and am sad to say that I was really disappointed. Pj Steele and now vans story are not as good as the others. And this is eerily similar to Sheas story. It didn't really have anything happen and it wasn't very deep. There isn't much under the surface and I'm honestly wondering why it took 6 months of impatiently waiting for this when it could have been written in about 20min. Its just not believable that in 2 days time they loved each other and accepted that they wer ...more
Rach
3 1/2 STARS.

I wanted so much more from this book and I will sadly admit that it didn't have that spark I love so much from all the other books in this amazing series.

Don't get me wrong I love Donovan (probably even more than I did in the other books as he wasn't my favourite) and I think he fit well with Evie. But I just thought it all happened too quickly and their love was too sickly sweet at times.

I did finish it as I love the KGI family so much and the whole series has me hooked. But this i
Francesca
Aug 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, thriller
Le comportement mâle alpha m'a fatigué dans ce roman car beaucoup trop poussé à l'extrême. Il y a eu des moments où j'ai pensé que le héros agissait aussi horriblement que le méchant de l'histoire en terme de possession. Tout se passe très vite, Donovan décide de tout et l'héroïne ne peut au acquiescer puisque ses enfants se sentent enfin en sécurité.
Luzie
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3/5 stars
Mandy
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: maya-banks
Hmmm. I'm bound and determined to get caught up with this series, no matter what.

This series is not what it used to be for me but I want to read it, no matter how much skimming I end up having to do.

With Donovan and Eve, I started skimming at around 56%. I love Donovan but his declarations of love and devotion at barely 50% were just too much too soon. And yet, I'm going to keep reading this series and I assume that they will be 3-star reads for me but I'm at a point where I have to know what ha
Sunny
May 26, 2013 rated it liked it
When I started this story, I felt a little like Van's sisters-in-law when they first met Eve - a little nervous, a little hopeful and a little protective. Van is the MAN. He's the KGI brother who is the most sensitive. Don't get me wrong, he is all alpha - but with a heart of gold. It has taken Maya Banks eight books to get here, but we finally have Donovan's story.

This week, Carolyn Crane, the author of the Disillusionist Trilogy and the Associates series, wrote an interesting article asking th
Mateja
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Donovan has spent the last few years envying his brothers' lives when one by one they found their special someone and created a family with them. Recently the craving for his own happy ever after has become very prominent in his life, especially now that it seems like every Kelly woman was pregnant. His life is turned upside down when Eve and her half-siblings land in his hometown, terrified and broke. Eve, Travis and Cammie have been on the run from their deranged father for months now. When Ru ...more
Pete
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: banks-maya
After the Storm is book 8 in Maya Banks KGI series which I continue to love. This book resonated so well with in multiple areas, such as, Medicine and volunteer health support for the poor and abused, and surviving multiple direct hit tornadoes. One of the reasons I like this series is the KGI family members focus on attending to distressed and tortured children and females primarily led by Van.
KGI stories are principally glued together using the backdrop of an extremely intriguing family to whi
Emmi
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: follow-up
One giant effing stumble. I'm sorry, I truly am, because I adore this series... it's in my top ten favorites. But, did Maya Banks even write this?! Geez, the same corny things were repeated over, and over, and over again. The theme being "the Kelly family can defeat anything if they stand together" which would be cool if it didn't seem like it was someone's first attempt at writing a novel. Literally the first day he had them all together Van was telling them they were a family and that Cammie c ...more
Has KGI Gone Soft? 23 112 Jul 04, 2014 06:14AM
KGI 23 109 Jun 09, 2014 10:05PM
  • I Dream of Danger (Ghost Ops, #2)
  • Lie With Me (Shadow Force, #1)
  • Born Wild (Black Knights Inc., #5)
  • Risk No Secrets (Black Ops Inc., #5)
  • Nauti Enchantress (Nauti, #7; Nauti Girls, #3)
  • Heaven Can't Wait (I-Team, #1.5)
  • Guardian (Dark Ops, #5)
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • Kept (Gemini Men, #2)
  • Hit Hard
Maya Banks is the #1 New York Times, #1 USA Today and international bestselling author of over 50 novels. A wife and mother of three, she lives in Texas.

KGI (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Darkest Hour (KGI, #1)
  • No Place to Run (KGI, #2)
  • Hidden Away (KGI, #3)
  • Whispers in the Dark (KGI, #4)
  • Echoes at Dawn (KGI, #5)
  • Shades of Gray (KGI, #6)
  • Forged in Steele (KGI, #7)
  • When Day Breaks (KGI, #9)
  • Darkest Before Dawn (KGI, #10)
  • Brighter Than the Sun (KGI, #11)
“You think I hate you, but that's not true, Rusty, and if you ever actually lowered your hackles around me you'd realize that I only want to make sure you're safe.” 7 likes
“She's mine. They're mine. And I protect what's mine.” 5 likes