Start by marking “Trials of Artemis (The Haberdashers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Trials of Artemis (The Haberdashers, #1)

Read Book

Trials of Artemis

(The Haberdashers #1)

Loving Lord Lucifer...

An independent bluestocking sneaks into a library to read rare Greek texts and ends up with a husband instead.

Jacqueline “Jack” Walters loves archery and Greek military history. In her third season she has failed to inspire so much as one marriage proposal and is planning to settle into the quiet life of a spinster.

Gideon Wolfe, Earl of Harrington, h
Published May 12th 2013 by Graythorn Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Trials of Artemis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trials of Artemis

Start your review of Trials of Artemis (The Haberdashers, #1)
Debby "Piene Raven"
I truly love Sue London as an author and I enjoy her books. The Haberdashers, #1 did not fail. Wasn't sure if I was going to like it but I found myself loving the masculine names of the heroine and her friends and to know that they were very intelligent and dangerous women in their own right.

I loved the banter between Jack and Giddy and his realizing that women are just as intelligent as men. This was a very nice read and well written story.

4.5-Stars
Cheesecake
free today on Amazon and Kobo

It was a surprise read for me and I have enjoyed several other books by SL since then.
I like to go back and re-read it occasionally. I hope they make an audio version someday!

Jack is actually Jacqueline, and is one of 3 friends (Jack, Sabre and George) who call themselves 'The Haberdashers'. They are not the typical 'misses' of the Ton. Jack likes to read about warfare and plans to never marry. But this plan goes awry when she meets Gideon in a darkened Library.
A si
Amanda
Jun 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I bought this book on amazon. It was cheap, had decent reviews, so I went with it. This merits about 2 1/4 stars, but I generously rounded up.

First, the formatting. I believe this is self published, and something went awry in whatever conversions authors have to make when they take the work to market. This made the dialog hard to follow in some spots, and it also made a bit distracting in some places. I didn't spot any obvious spelling errors, but there are minor punctuation issues. Being self p
Erin
After I started reviewing this book, I realized that I had a weird relationship with it. There were a lot of things that just didn't work, but it had... something. Something that worked for me. But it wasn't great. It wasn't close to great, but it was good? Not solid, but it had depth? I... yeah. Let me ramble out my thoughts here.

To start, my favorite part of a romance novel is the characters, and in that respect this book didn't quite live up to my expectations. Jack started out like most rom
Julie
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Trials of Artemis by Sue London is a 2013 Graythorn Publishing release. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Jacqueline Walters is part of a group of ladies that started a "club" as children they named "The Haberdashers". Each of them carried a masculine name instead of using their real names. "Jack" is Jacqueline's nickname. When her sister Samantha attends her first ball, Jack a loyal bluestocking decides to check out the library and a case of mistaken identity h
Amy
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
My rule generally is that if an author doesn't have me interested by at least the third chapter, I know I'm not going to enjoy the rest. After the third chapter, I was bored and uninterested, but convinced myself to continue. A few more chapters later, I'm still not into it. I haven't been given very much information on either character, so they both seem flat to me. There's no chemistry. There's very light lust, but that's not the same thing at all. There's no tension, and no, just the fact tha ...more
Jules
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Trials of Artemis by Sue London. Jack, our heroine, was full of surprises and wit. Gideon, our hero, was the perfect blend of reality -- not perfect a perfect person by any stretch but not boorish, either. Ms. London's writing had me laughing out loud at some their exchanges. It takes a talented author to make me do that!

I did have a problem with this book that took me a bit to figure out. A book with an author this good is usually hard for me to put down. Not so with Trials of Artemis
Andree
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I mean, this is fluffy fun, but it also misses the mark of what I was in the mood for. They're good together, and I enjoy their dynamic, and how they work things out, but what it really comes down is that I wanted this to be more about two strong-willed minds working their way to where they end up a bit more naturally, and internally, as opposed to the same strong-willed minds working their way to where they end up prompted by a stream of external drama. Also, I would have preferred their gettin ...more
Tammy Walton Grant
I loved the name, and liked the book. Win win.

It has a spinster, a rake, a tryst that begins with mistaken identity, a shotgun marriage, a mouthy heroine, a clever Hero, some witty dialogue, lots of banter. London does a really good job of it that part. I enjoyed the book almost all the way through.

I was skimming towards the end, though, and that was because of this: too much tell, not enough show.

INORITE? Anyone who has read my reviews knows how much I usually like to be spoonfed. In this ca
Iza Brekilien
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't know why (maybe the name Artemis ?...), but I didn't expect to like that book in spite of the good reviews. And I was right : I loved it instead !
I kept waiting for a bad or a stupid thing to happen : nothing. The characters were good. The story was good. I thought the girls's club would be too much, and some of them are too much - but in a good way. I'll be following that series and plan on having a lot of fun !
Joan
Nov 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Dnf’d at 53% The heroine is a total Mary Sue and her hubby is two dimensional. Predictable plot and neither character engaging enough to keep me reading.
Aleen ~Lampshade Reader
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. It was fun to read about two alpha characters. Jack (Jacqueline) and Giddy were both headstrong, stubborn, and sexy.

"You look like Artemis," he said.
"It is a look I try to cultivate."

A chance encounter and mistaken identity in a library is the perfect recipe for a forced marriage. Both characters have vowed not to marry, but honor bound and dutiful, Giddy has no choice.

Jack is not the typical female. Sharp tongued and a penchant for weapons, preferably bows, she shocks G
Heather Aksamit
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really just read this because it was recommended to me from a friend who knows the author. :-) But... it is really good! I like Regency romance, but some can be quite dry/boring. This was engaging, had me reading till the end, and already looking for the next in the series. I like the main character Jack, quite a bit. She has interesting hobbies that play into the main story line quite well. I'm looking forward to continuing the series with the next set of couples (Quince & Sabre). ...more
Alice
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Are you telling me that sexual attraction can convert a misogynist into a supporter of women’s rights? Because aside from great sex there’s not much connecting the protagonist with her husband. Whom she only married not to ruin the reputation of her family. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s unrealistic. I get attracted to wrong people all the time. I just didn’t know that being great in bed could lead to such a transformation…

You figured it, I’m not too happy with the story. Jack marries a
Coco.V
Jun 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (6/25/2019)! 🎁
Julie Evans
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lord Gideon, Earl of Harrington, is kind, honorable, and a bit of a confirmed bachelor who loves having his way with the ladies. Jacqueline "Jack" is a definite tomboy and decidedly happy to remain single. Then as potential scandal and family embarrassment hit them, tossing them together, Gideon does right by Jack and proposes marriage. Will they call it off? Will they be better having known each other? Can they lead each other to happiness? Love the smart, snarky, loving, and fast-pace this boo ...more
Senior
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked the Haberdasher Series; Trials of Aretmis, Athena's Ordeal, Fates for Apate and Saving Persephone. The books' blurb described the series well, "In 1805 three little girls decided to create a "boys club" because boys have more fun. Their childhood was filled with sword fighting, horse racing, and archery. Now in 1815 they are all grown up and expected to join Society. Who will marry such independent and deadly misses"?

Each of the Haberdashers plus one bonus woman, hence four books, is st
Amanda
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked the main character. The love interest was the issue: petulant, obnoxious, deliberately antagonizing and scapegoating his new wife; slut-shaming her, even though she was completely inexperienced before they got married; and swings wildly between being nice for a very brief period and then being a total jerk (like being so grossly possessive that he hits her childhood friend for hugging her). But the most inexcusable part: a man who says that dogs would make better voters than women, and d ...more
Lu Balu
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and it's exploration of themes of the day, all of which seemed well researched. Why oh why then, should the key premise for the books (a boys club formed by three girls) hang on the faulty assumption that haberdashiery has the same meaning to the rest of the world (including England where the story is actually set) that it does in America? It doesn't!
In England haberdashiery refers to buttons and these days zippers. Small sewing items not mens gloves and scarves. As soon as
Tami
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very well written regency romance.

The story was well thought out, it had witty dialogues and what really made this one of the better regency romances, it had character development.

I very much liked Jack, the young lady, who found herself in a compromising situation and needed to marry the gentleman involved. Gideon was also a very good character. He was no flawless hero, but had an edge and both were not mysteriously in love suddenly and all was wonderful.

The story centered on how they got to
April
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Delightful

The "Trails of Artemis" is a delightful, powerful tale that will thrill fans of Historical Romance.
Fast paced. Well written with engaging, talented and most interesting characters. The storyline is powerful, intriguing and compelling. The H/H will tug at your heartstrings. I cannot wait read the rest of this series. A very enjoyable and satisfying read, to be sure. Fans of romance, Regency era Romance, fast paced stories and interesting characters will adore this new and sure to be ex
Pam Boles
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has the best conversations and the best relationships ever! I absolutely found myself laughing and enjoying the story. I read the start of the 2nd book that was added to the end of the first story. It promises to be as funny and entertaining as the first, if not more. The Haberdashers are gonna be my favorite this year, I'm sure of it.
Michele Lacroix
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and never wanted to close it. I loved the characters of Gideon and Jack, Jacqueline. I loved how they met and how they learned to love each other. I didn't expect the villain to be the villain, or villains.
sarah guffy
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Intriguing.

Good reading. A strong won.an and a hard headed man. True love can go a long way. I love to read about the early years with grand ball rooms, servants, and all the galas. Very relaxing reading but will keep you interested.
LadyAlexandrea
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love this one gave 4.5 stars.
Zayne
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cover-art-image, 2013
This was entertaining, fast-paced, and in the vein of the typical regency style. Loved it.
Madeline Iva
Reads like a best-selling historical romance should. Lively, light, and with a beating heart.
Cherry London
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A library is indeed a place of knowledge and learning and what a sizzling encounter taught Jacquelyn. She was introduced to sensations she had never felt before and oh boy were they tantalizing, and very tempting. Gideon Lord Harrington found himself married to a feisty baggage and all he went to the library was a tryst with his mistress. This Library is truly a place of secrets and opportunities it seems. She learned new things and about what she was capable of, he learned about control and tem ...more
Anna
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For a first book - this one tops the charts. Such an intricate weaving of plots and characters. Rich descriptions place the reader into the pages of the story. They KNOW Lord Lucifer!

The characters are richly developed. And the Haberdashers--well theirs is a unique storyline for the books written on the Regency period. Loved it.

I'm only going to say that three young women form a sisterhood as children and remain best friends through thick and thin. Their names are shortened to resemble a male
Alison
May 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
I picked this up for free years ago and came across it on my Kindle recently and thought I'd give it a try. It was alright, but honestly, kind of boring. The characters and dialogue were a little flat all around. The ending came out of nowhere. The HEA came out of nowhere. Gideon was a jerk and while the idea of Jack was intriguing, it didn't pan out and she was a kind of annoying as well. I skimmed much of the second half. It's a scant two stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Secrets to a Gentleman's Heart (Gentlemen of Intrigue, #1)
  • One Wild Dawn (The Northumberland Nine #1)
  • Bewitching
  • The Rogue Prince (Royals of Cardenas #1)
  • Belle of the Ball (Desperate and Daring, #2)
  • Dreaming of You
  • The Wedding Duel (Dueling Pistols, #1)
  • A Lady By Chance (House of Haverstock, #1)
  • Lord of Chance (Rogues to Riches #1)
  • Summerton (Lady Eleanor Mysteries, #1)
  • Lady Hathaway's Indecent Proposal (Hathaway Heirs #1)
  • An Affair in Winter (Seasons, #1)
  • Where Dreams Merge (Jasmine Cottage Book 2)
  • The Duke's Bride (Regency Brides, #1)
  • Loving the Marquess (Landing a Lord, #1)
  • Don't Tie the Knot (Wedding Trouble, #1)
  • Taming a Duke's Reckless Heart (Taming the Heart, #1)
  • A Dangerous Temptation (Dangerous, #1)
Best selling author Sue London created the beloved Regency romance series The Haberdashers. If you like your historical romance with a little action, a little humor, and a lot of strong-minded women, then this is the series for you!

Recent reader reactions:
"Sue London is a very gifted writer. I always enjoy reading her books." ~ Annie
"It was so well written, and the storyline is wonderfully thrilli

The Haberdashers (6 books)
  • Athena's Ordeal (The Haberdashers, #2)
  • Fates For Apate (The Haberdashers, #3)
  • Saving Persephone (The Haberdashers, #4)
  • Taming Chiron
  • Pheme's Regret (The Haberdashers, #6)