Start by marking “Fox Tracks ("Sister" Jane, #8)” as Want to Read:
Fox Tracks ("Sister" Jane, #8)

Fox Tracks

("Sister" Jane #8)

New York Times bestselling author Rita Mae Brown bounds to the front of the pack with Fox Tracks, the thrilling new mystery in her beloved foxhunting series featuring the indomitable Sister Jane Arnold and, among others, the boisterous company of horses and hounds. Now, as a string of bizarre murders sweeps the East Coast, this unlikely alliance must smoke out a devious ...more
Published October 22nd 2013 by Ballantine Books (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fox Tracks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fox Tracks

Start your review of Fox Tracks ("Sister" Jane, #8)
Margaret Kalvar
I agree with all those who are annoyed byBrown's increasing use of her fiction as a political soapbox- I started out loving the Sneaky Pie books but the plots got weaker while the politics heavier. I am not sure she is really increasing the polemics in Fox Tracks but it is certainly there. The plot is OK- not one of her best but she has churned out poorer as well. If you love riding and reading about hunting though, you will enjoy the sections of this book which describe the hunts and wish you ...more
Lois Tucker
Feb 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is one of the Sister Jane, master of the foxhounds series. I grew up in beautiful foxhunting country back east, and one of the best friends of our local hunt club's first whipper-in was my brother's girlfriend. The master of the hounds was the father of one of my classmates. The place where I grew up is literally one of those tony spots where Dick Cheney'd go to shoot hundreds of game birds and then raise a few million dollars for the GOP.

Now that I live with my people (liberal and
Lakis Fourouklas
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fox Tracks by Rita Mae Brown is the 8th novel in a series featuring foxhunter and fox lover, and amateur detective, Sister Jane.

It all begins with the murder of a tobacconist but it's not the crime that sets the pace and makes this such an interesting book to read, but the characters. First we have Sister Jane, a woman as unconventional as they come. Then there's Gray Lorillard, her boyfriend and an opium smoker. Before too long in comes Crawford Howard, Sister's enemy and a man so rich that can
Liz Green
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy reading about the foxes, the hounds, the horses, and Sister Jane. This was every bit as enjoyable as any of the others in the series. The animals really make the story come alive. Their conversations make me giggle and chuckle.
Sharon
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read other books in this series but this one did not measure up. Basically, it was a questions of balance.I felt there was too much fox hunt and not enough mystery.
Rebecca
First one of her books I have read. I like all the animals talking. Not sure I should have started with the hunting ones. Good sense of humor. Twist at the end.
Judith Roberts
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To the Hounds

Adore Rita Mae Brown. Her books are delightful and Fox Tracks for most is a continuation of a really good series. The characters range in age from teens to very mature. The animals in these books are important to the story and have great impact. Smuggling, along with some present day politics of the Egypt and the U.S. Are the basis for the book. If you love Sister, Gray and the hounds and horses, you might need to read Fox Tracks.
Mary C
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous book, and I so enjoy reading such great descriptions of the countryside and fox hunting in Virginia! I'm on to the next book, LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE, so I'll be ready for an ARC I won to review for LibraryThing.
Leslie Angel
I enjoy the hunting scenes and the animals.
Angela
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So many continuity errors with the other books in this series! It feels so lazy for the author to spoil continuity- like, did she forget what she wrote in the preceding stories?!
Adria
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rita Mae Brown and Sister Jane never fail to please! I was truly surprised by the antagonist!
Kathy
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
so far, I think this is my least favorite of her books. Like the characters, but not the story so much.
Dana
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a few continuity errors in accordance with the rest of the series, but still a very enjoyable installment.
Robin
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received Fox Tracks: A Novel, by Rita Mae Brown from Goodreads' Giveaway program.

There's an adage that a writer should write what he or she knows. Rita Mae Brown has taken that advice to heart. In her latest "Sister" Jane novel, Fox Tracks, Brown has Sister Jane still living in Albermarle County, Virginia, and reigning over the local hunt club. An equestrian who lives in Virginia and who rides with a hunt club, Ms. Brown has many of her books firmly set in Virginia, with characters
Lis Carey
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Jane Arnold rides again, this time in pursuit of a killer riding with her own hunt.

The first signs of trouble are far from Virginia, in New York City, where "Sister" Jane Arnold, her lover Gray Lorillard, and two of the young ladies recently graduated from Custis Hall, and now attending Princeton, are attending the annual Masters of Foxhounds Association dinner. During this New York interlude, Jane and Tootie visit a tobacco shop to buy a gift for Gray, and meet a charming, Cuban-born tobacco
Marie
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
This is the first book I've ever read by Rita Mae Brown, thanks in large part to the goodreads first reads giveaway. While it's obvious the main character, Sister, has some witty and sarcastic dialog, this book is definitely detail intensive, and the details aren't necessarily anything relevant to the so-called mystery.

Fox Tracks is intended for people who love rich, engrossing characters, scenery, and descriptions particularly related to fox hunts. It was difficult for this reader to find
Mike
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the eighth book in this prolific author's "Sister Jane" murder/mystery series --- which is heavily involved with foxhunting (which, for the most part, is an activity for the wealthy --- and in America, the fox is not captured or killed --- the sport is chasing it). The author happens to be a foxhunting master in real life. As is the case with the same author's "Mrs. Murphy" murder/mystery series, the reader has to go along with the premise that animals can understand human speech and ...more
Kate
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've gotten used to Rita Mae's slightly precious use of talking animals (after all, she's not the only one!) and I quite like the Harry Hairsteen novels and they are fun to listen to . I got this as a Book on Cd. The bad: I wish (again) that authors would not do their own audiobooks. This is no exception. A good reader could have made this better. Also: ENOUGH with the hunting scenes. While I appreciated learning about the hunt (foxes are not killed and at least in this example, are well fed and ...more
Victor
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review via a Goodreads giveaway.

This book was a DNF for me (stopped at page 68 of 320). The reason I'm giving it two stars instead of one is simply because I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt that I might have liked it more if I had the background of the preceding seven books.

I was just simply confused by all the characters in the book - there were a few too many for me to keep track of. In addition, foxhunting and all the
Cherie
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a long time since I bought a RMB book to read. I had forgotten what a great story she can deliver, and this book was no exception! I had not read any of her other Sister Jane stories, but it did not matter. I loved the characters in this one, both human and animal. I loved the dialogue between the animals and all of the fox hunting lore and information. I love the humor and old fashioned phrases and southern flavor in RMB's books. The story about the tobacco contraband sounded very ...more
Barb
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Rita Mae Brown gives us an outstanding story. Her plots are devious. Her pacing is breakneck. The characterization is so detailed that the reader feels a real connection with the players. One can close his or her eyes and see the Virginia countryside rolling beneath the horse's flying hooves. I have learned so much from Ms. Brown. In addition to all things foxhunting, this novel also informs us of current issues in such disparate areas as American tobacco farming and Middle Eastern ...more
April
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I think I enjoy these books more because I used to live in Charlottesville. However, Brown writes about a Charlottesville I never knew...where upper class people with money to burn organize hunt groups and love their animals more than their people friends. It's a nice life to read about, but I wouldn't want to live it. In this book in the series, Sister Jane, Master of the Hunt, finds a dead body w/a cigarete case from a nonexistent company upon it. When she finds a second one, the hunt is on. ...more
Heidi
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am so disappointed. I used to like this series. brown has ruined it just like the sneaky pie books. I liked the fox hunts and the characters (both human and animal). now I feel like they are secondary to the book. the primary reason for the book is too preach about how humans are ruining the planet, ruining free enterprise, etc. I don't care for preaching.
spoiler alert!!!!!
the murderer is disappointing. he is a main character in this book supported by all. brown claims to be supportive of
Linda
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started Rita Mae Brown books years ago. I was never crazy about talking animals but liked the stories. I don't know if she has changed or I have but I rarely read her books anymore. She seems to me to be on a soap box to the point it overpowers and distract from the story. I actually didn't "read" the book, I listened to a book on tape which I checked out of the library for a car trip. And - Almost forgot. This is the second book on tape I listened to that she read. I don't think she is a very ...more
Jamilah
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was listening to this book, so the review is specifically about the audiobook. I have no idea what the story is about (OK, a murder occurs in a cigar shop, that's about all I caught). The reason I couldn't follow the story is that the author narrates this book herself, and her voice is really, really not a pleasant reading voice. It's distracting. Sorry to say, I gave up on this one about halfway through.
Susan
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
There sometimes comes a point in the life of a mystery series where the number of ongoing characters has accumulated to the point where they clog the action of the story. If you are reading for atmosphere, that's not necessarily a problem, but if you are reading for plot and action, it can be. I enjoyed the atmosphere of this story set in rural Virginia but would have enjoyed more focus on the mystery and more action related to that storyline.
Kim
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have always liked this series by Ms. Brown. Unfortunately, I did not quite care for this book and was disappointed in it. I thought the plot of the mystery and how her main character became involved, was quite a stretch. It also was rather tedious to have what seemed to be a continual lecture on the benefits of the tobacco industry. I also thought much of it was just boring. Ms. Brown is a good writer but it is not demonstrated in this one book.
Sharon Michael
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed this series since the first book and this is a very good addition to the series. The usual cast of characters and excellent and accurate portrayal of the sport of fox hunting and the people involved.

The mystery plotting was well done and I particularly enjoyed the history/information on the tobacco industry, something I learned about only after my relocation to a tobacco-growing state.
Rebecca Mulligan
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Fun Read

Sister Jane triumphs in this eighth edition of the Sister Jane series by Rita Mae Brown. As with the others, Brown weaves a contemporaneous issue, this time untaxed tobacco, with her love of the hunt. A series of mysterious murders of tobacconists in various states sets Sister Jane on the hunt for the murderer. As always, Brown is entertaining, educational and provides all out fun reading for mystery lovers.
Sandra
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #130 - Fox Tracks 1 2 Jun 22, 2016 07:51AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Fox Tracks (Sister Jane #8) 1 2 Mar 10, 2013 12:14PM

• Let It Snow
  • Creation in Death (In Death, #25)
  • The Enemy of My Enemy (Clandestine Operations #5)
  • Our Wild Calling: How Connecting with Animals Can Transform Our Lives—and Save Theirs
  • Crooked River (Pendergast, #19)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Portrait in Death (In Death, #16)
  • Origin in Death (In Death, #21)
  • Visions in Death (In Death, #19)
  • Nature's Best Hope: A New Approach to Conservation that Starts in Your Yard
  • Purity in Death (In Death, #15)
  • Burn Marks (V.I. Warshawski, #6)
  • Hard Time (V.I. Warshawski, #9)
  • The Shape Shifter (Leaphorn  & Chee, #18)
  • Riders of the Purple Sage (Riders of the Purple Sage #1)
  • Trees of Power: Ten Essential Arboreal Allies
  • Boomer's Bucket List
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

"Sister" Jane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Outfoxed ("Sister" Jane, #1)
  • Hotspur ("Sister" Jane, #2)
  • Full Cry ("Sister" Jane, #3)
  • The Hunt Ball  ("Sister" Jane, #4)
  • The Hounds and the Fury ("Sister" Jane, #5)
  • The Tell-tale Horse ("Sister" Jane, #6)
  • Hounded to Death ("Sister" Jane, #7)
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Sister" Jane, #9)
  • Crazy Like a Fox ("Sister" Jane #10)
  • Homeward Hound ("Sister" Jane, #11)

News & Interviews