Start by marking “The Time Traveler's Almanac” as Want to Read:
The Time Traveler's Almanac

The Time Traveler's Almanac

(The Time Traveller's Almanac #1-4)

The Time Traveler's Almanac is the largest and most definitive collection of time travel stories ever assembled. Gathered into one volume by intrepid chrononauts and world-renowned anthologists Ann and Jeff VanderMeer,this book compilesmore thana century's worth of literary travels into the past and the future that will serve to reacquaint readers with beloved classics of ...more
Published March 18th 2014 by Tor Books (first published November 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Time Traveler's Almanac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time Traveler's Almanac

Start your review of The Time Traveler's Almanac
Timothy Ward
Mar 22, 2014 is currently reading it
I'm doing a group read with a few time travel fans. One story each Thursday, starting September 3. Hop in any time: http://www.timothycward.com/the-time-... or follow using #TimeTravelThursday

Sept. 3 – Richard Matheson/ Death Ship (review)

4/5 stars for a terrifying hook that only gets better in the last lines.

Sept. 10 - Geoffrey A. Landis/ Ripples in the Dirac Sea (review)

4/5 stars for a great use of time travel to illustrate the energy and importance of every breath we get.

Sept. 24 – Ursula K.
Mark
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As we approach the end of the year, we get another behemoth collection from the Vandermeers and Head of Zeus. After 2011′s The Weird, which deservedly won awards, and last year’s Zombies! in 2013 we get The Time Traveller’s Almanac. (Or at least we do here in the UK: US readers will have to travel a little further in time until March 2014 for their copies.)

There are many collections of time travel stories out there. This one is claimed to be the biggest, and, as I’m sure many reviews will say,
DJ
Jan 24, 2015 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reviews coming every Thursday as part of The Time Traveler's Almanac group read and will be posted first at MyLifeMyBooksMyEscape

Follow along with #TimeTravelThursday

Death Ship by Richard Matheson - 3.5/5 Rating
Great start to the anthology! (My Review)

Ripples in A Dirac Sea by Geoffrey A. Landis - 4/5 Rating
This is how you science a time-travel story! (My Review)

Needle in A Timestack by Robert Silverberg - 3/5 Rating
The butterfly effect! (My Review)

Another Story or A Fisherman of the Inland
Alan
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All you zombies
Recommended to Alan by: A mysterious message from what I must assume was the future
Wow... what a mammoth achievement! The Time Traveler's Almanac: nine hundred pages of time-travel stories, give or take, in a single volume, all wrapped in what I must say is the perfect title and cover scheme. Its back cover calls this book "the largest and most definitive collection of time travel stories ever assembled," a claim which may well be true. Even so, this timeline's edition of Ann VanderMeer and Jeff VanderMeer's anthology does have some significant holes.

For example: where's Bob?
John Herbert
OK..you’re not going to believe this.
It was only my second outing but I skipped down to the basement and flipped the relevant gears into action, sending the Time Machine, with myself on board, back in time just a couple of years.

The Vandermeers were discussing the possible topics for their next anthology, when I landed right smack bang in the middle of their dining table, cutlery and food flying everywhere.
Of course it had the desired effect that I was seeking: it totally disrupted their current
Marjolein
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
Death Ship (Richard Matheson) **
Ripples in the Dirac Sea (Geoffrey A. Landis) **
Needle in a Timestack (Robert Silverberg) ****
Another Story or A Fisherman of the Inland Sea [Hainish] (Ursula K. Le Guin) ****
Hwang's Billion Brilliant Daughters (Alice Sola Kim) *
How the Future Got Better (Eric Schaller) ***
Pale Roses [Tales from the End of Time] (Michael Moorcock) ****
The Gernsback Continuum (William Gibson) ***
The Threads of Time (C. J. Cherryh) **
Triceratops Summer (Michael Swanwick) ***
The Most
Robin Bonne
Wow, this books was heavy. The stories are crammed in with tiny text, and I thought it might squish me while I was reading it.

There are a wide variety of stories relating to Time Travel in their own ways. I picked it up because it contained a couple short stories that a friend recommended I read.
Fred Hughes
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
It was really hit and miss on the stories that grabbed my attention. However that is true of all anthologies as they are the results of a single persons' interpretation of what is good. Still a reasonable value for the price
Katlyn
As with all anthologies featuring multiple authors, the quality of this book was highly variable. There were some stories I couldn't get into in the slightest and others that I adored. All in all though, it seemed to be a nice collection involving a variety of authors, writing styles, and time periods. I may look into some of the authors a bit more, I have meant to try more short stories by Isaac Asimov and Ray Bradbury in particular. I honestly haven't read much sci-fi, so my list of favourites ...more
Matt Hlinak
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
‘The Time Traveler’s Almanac’ purports to be “the largest and most definitive collection of time travel stories ever assembled,” and I was unable to find anything capable of disputing this claim. The editors have compiled 72 pieces by luminaries of the genre like H.G. Wells, Ursula K. Le Guin, George R.R. Martin, Douglas Adams and Isaac Asimov. Highly recommended for all sci-fi and time travel buffs.

Read my full review at Pop Mythology.

Matt Hlinak
Author of DoG
Jeff Deck
Apr 25, 2014 is currently reading it
Stories:

Death Ship (Matheson) -- 3 stars -- two for the story, one for the fact that it is Richard Matheson
Ripples in the Dirac Sea (Landis) -- 5 stars -- Wow, this was great.
Needle in a Timestack(Silverberg) -- 3 stars -- Anticlimactic. Started off cool.
Another Story (Le Guin)-- 1 star -- Too complicated and boring. I enjoy other Le Guin but could not get into this.
Hwang's Billion Brilliant Daughters (Sola Kim) -- 4 stars -- Not sure exactly about the "whys" of this one, but it was still pretty
Johanne
oh this started so well and then lost me. In the first two sections I was completely hooked. All the stories gripped me but then in the remainder I found fewer and fewer that caught my imagination. So the ones I liked were the experiments and investigators, the paradoxes and communicators didn't grab me. Maybe this is my sci-fi heritage just showing itself. The later sections seemed largely to feature newer works whereas the early pieces were more 60s and 70s items; the era of my introduction to ...more
Laurel
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic collection of mostly time travel stories. There were a few I couldn't figure out why they were included. But on the whole, some excellent stuff.

My favourite stories were: The Time Machine (an extract of) by HG Wells; A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury; Fire Watch by Connie Willis; Under Siege by G.R.R. Martin; The Waitabits by Eric Frank Russell; and the final story in the Almanac, Palimpsest by Charles Stross, was an absolute corker. I loved it.

Death Ship by Richard Matheson
Randal
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
As comprehensive a selection of time travel tales as one could hope for, even from such a doorstop.
I liked the range -- from the more traditional entries inevitably involving a paradox and / or a surprise ending to ones where the time travel was more or less implied but not a central part of the plot.
There were a few from newer authors toward the end that were pleasant surprises, but most of the writers are familiar and nobody really plowed any new ground: Authors I already liked wrote stories I
Mjhancock
(Given the book's massive length, I was very tempted to do some sort of labored joke about how reading it was like time travelling into the distant future. I've (mostly) spared you from that; you're welcome.) The Time Traveller's Almanac is an anthology of science-fiction stories about time travel. And really, the first thing that will strike you about the book is how vast an anthology it is, with 71 different short stories--maybe 70, depending on how you count Harry Turtledove's two part ...more
Diana
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
collection of short stories on this theme of time travel. Some are very clever and interesting; others, less so. Also, since the stories come from various time periods, some feel modern, others are quite dated.
Philton
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The biggest and best collection of short stories about time travel ever. While not every single one of them was a winner, there were enough good ones, and some downright excellent ones, to make this a worthy read. There is even a playlist of songs recorded over the years about time travel in the middle of the book. Some day I will find the time to listen to all of them.
Anat
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some really good stories in this one!
Hebe
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a huge read but absolutely worth it!
Robert Mayer
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for those into time-travel fiction. Includes both classics from the golden age of science fiction, but also pieces from the infancy of the genre and well as some modern pieces that should stand out for their originality.
Michael
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Originally published at "The Nameless Zine". Check it out for more reviews.

If you are enthralled by the beauty and passion of 18th Century Scotland in Outlander or long to journey through time and space with The Doctor, award-winning anthologists Jeff and Ann VanderMeer have assembled the perfect guidebook for you.
The Time Traveler’s Almanac is the definitive compilation of time-travel related stories, including 70 fiction and non-fiction works – from the earliest published story about a time
angie
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing

"When we’re talking about whether or not a story’s 'time travel logic' makes sense, it is important to remember that every story builds its own framework for its own logic."--from the intro to The Time Traveler's Almanac

Though I am still reading The Time Travler's Almanac, I just have to go ahead and write something about how wonderful the collection is so far...I especially love the amazing short story by Robert Silverberg called "Needle In A Timestack."

It's part love story, part self-discovery
David Davis
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Time Traveler's Almanac is collection of time travel fiction and features authors that range from Ursula K. Le Guin to H G Wells (who wrote one of the most well known pieces of time travel fiction, The Time Machine) to newer, not-so-well-known writers like Tony Pi.

The Weird is one of my favorite--if not my most favorite--anthologies of all time so I really didn't expect to like Almanac as much but I have to say that it comes pretty darn close. For one, I felt like the stories in Almanac were
Janice
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fiction
So, a very large collection of time travel short stories. Like all such collections, some were better than others. There were a couple I didn't care for (not surprising given the shear quantity of material presented), many that I was more or less ambivalent about (not bad, but didn't really catch me) and a few that were quiet good. I've listed these last few below.

Another Story of A Fisherman of the Inland Sea - Le Guin
Didn't necessarily realize this was Le Guin until I went to make this list.
Peter Johnston
Delicious smorgasbord of time travel stories. The great joy of short story collections is you can just skip ahead if the current one bores you.
Riju Ganguly
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to be honest. I have failed to complete this book despite sticking to/at it for months (ages?), and yet I am so sick of finding it grinning at me like a hideous laughing Buddha statue whenever I check-in at Goodreads, that I decided to mark it as read. However, I have a justification handy. This tome is like OED, and that book, as everyone would agree, can't be COMPLETED, despite being full of riveting as well as important stuff. Therefore, using that analogy, I am stuffing the tome ...more
Samantha Glasser
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a massive volume of short stories all relating to time travel. Some are quite good, and some are awful, so it is really a mixed bag. I would not recommend reading many of them in one sitting as they will begin to blur together but to read them slowly over time to properly contemplate each, as some are profound and will stick with you.

Highlights include Thirty Seconds From Now by John Chu, Time Gypsy by Ellen Klages, and Palindromic by Peter Crowther among others.

I read this with the
Dave
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the most comprehensive and best anthology of Time Travel stories possible. It functions as a collection of many great stories, a historical account of the topic and an artifact of history in its own right. Additionally, this is an introduction to many writers I may never have come across. it is also an opportunity to revisit familiar masters of the short story (regardless of genre). Overall this is an excellent collection on several levels.
A.M.
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredibly long book but well worth reading if you're a time travel fan - there is something for everyone in here and some truly engrossing stories.

My only nitpick was the inclusion of excerpts from longer time travel stories (as they were very clearly incomplete and unsatisfactory to read) however this is more than made up for by the general quality and variety of stories.

Happy :-)
Pat
I do enjoy time travel stories (I wrote one: The House at the Edge of Time), so a huge collection that probably works best as an ebook is a treat. Also, I love anthologies because they allow me to sample writers I haven't read, and if I don't like works by one author, there's surely another whose works I'll enjoy. Good thing, here, because there were a several stories I skimmed or didn't finish, and a number of stories I very much enjoyed.

The stories focus on character instead of technology,
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Broken Stars: Contemporary Chinese Science Fiction in Translation
  • Unexpected Stories
  • Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Vol. 2: Masks
  • Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Vol. 3: Family Reunion
  • Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)
  • Skyward, Vol. 2: Here There Be Dragonflies
  • Invincible Iron Man: Ironheart, Volume 1: Riri Williams
  • What Should I Do with My Life?: The True Story of People Who Answered the Ultimate Question
  • Sleepless, Vol. 2
  • Moth & Whisper Vol. 1
  • Forgotten Queens of Islam
  • Warrior of the Altaii
  • The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories, Volume Two: Outer Space, Inner Lands (The Unreal and the Real, #2)
Ann VanderMeer is an American publisher and editor, and the second female editor of the horror magazine Weird Tales. She is the founder of Buzzcity Press.

Her work as Fiction Editor of Weird Tales won a Hugo Award. Work from her press and related periodicals has won the British Fantasy Award, the International Rhysling Award, and appeared in several year's best anthologies. Ann was also the founder

The Time Traveller's Almanac (5 books)
  • The Time Traveller's Almanac Part 1 - Experiments (The Time Traveller's Almanac, #1)
  • The Time Traveller's Almanac Part 2 - Reactionaries (The Time Traveller's Almanac, #2)
  • The Time Traveller's Almanac Part 3 - Mazes & Traps  (The Time Traveller's Almanac, #3)
  • The Time Traveller's Almanac Part 4 - Communiqués (The Time Traveller's Almanac, #4)
“I always grow poetic when I am lying to myself.” 7 likes
“There is no “makes sense” in the universal sense – that is to say, criticizing a time travel story because its rules do not line up with rules in the real world is akin to dismissing the Harry Potter books because the conductive properties of wood could never sustain the energy required for spell casting.” 4 likes