Start by marking “The Ophelia Prophecy” as Want to Read:
The Ophelia Prophecy

The Ophelia Prophecy

New sci-fi romance from the RITA Award nominated author of GHOST PLANET!
* * *
Our world is no longer our own. We engineered a race of superior fighters -- the Manti, mutant humans with insect-like abilities. Twenty-five years ago they all but destroyed us. In Sanctuary, some of us survive. Eking out our existence. Clinging to the past.

Some of us intend to do more than su
Published April 1st 2014 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Ophelia Prophecy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ophelia Prophecy

Start your review of The Ophelia Prophecy
Jill
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it

When Asha wakes up in the shallow end of a lake, she has no memories of how she got there, or why she'd be outside the limits of Sanctuary, the safe city for humans. A short distance away from her is Pax, naked and awakening from the safety of his protective cocoon, and like her, without memories.

Asha is human; Pax is Manti. Years ago, humans genetically engineered humans to create the Manti transgenics. Natural enemies, can the human and Manti work together to unravel the mystery of their lost
Angela James
I'm not sure what to rate this. It was solidly a 4-star book until probably the last chapter. As with her first book, the author does a tremendous job of creating a unique, fascinating new world of the future. I was absolutely interested in the future she created where humans are nearly extinct and the Manti--a race of human/insect hybrids that were actually engineered by humanity themselves--are in control of the planet, and are also mortal enemies of the remaining humans.

The heroine, Ash, is
Sam
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
Honestly, until I finished the last chapter I found myself thinking there was no way the full story could be wrapped up in a single book, which led to an immense amount of excitement about being able to look forward to a sequel. Nope, this story wrapped up there at the end, with a couple of acts of subterfuge I hadn't quite expected. Not cool. I really enjoyed learning about the characters and the battles between humans and Manti and I wanted more. It was another great story by Sharon Lynn Fishe ...more
Susana
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was ok

Arc provided by Tor Books through Netgalley

This is not an easy review to write.

I loved the author's first book, "Ghost Planet", which had me completely enthralled; but this one, ended up mostly being, a chore to finish.

I can even admit that what happened here could well be a case of:
It's not you book, it's me, to a ratio of 70/30 blame....if this makes any sense whatsoever.

I admit that the blurb of this one wasn't as entrancing as Ghost Planet (so entrancing that it reveals s
Jessica Subject
I have to admit, this is totally my kind of story. When Ms. Fisher mentioned how Mary Shelley's Frankenstein helped to inspire The Ophelia Prophecy, I wasn't sure what to expect, but thought the story might be more on the paranormal side. It's not. The Ophelia Prophecy is in many ways an alien invasion story, only the aliens aren't from space. They are insect-human hybrids, created by scientists for use in the military. Only the insect hybrids took over, and the human population has been greatly ...more
Margo - my business is in ashes but now I have time to read
Overall - 4.5 stars
A truly great blend of genres, which results in a fascinating tale with all of my favorite elements.

Fantasy World - 5 stars
Exotic, lush, amazing. Just wow.

Tingle - 4 stars
You'll have to wait for it, but when they kiss... FIRE!

Characters - 5 stars
Great heroine who faces problems like an intelligent, adult woman. Every character is complex – no caricatures here.

Story - 4 stars
Fabulous plot put together like the Mona Lisa made out of mosaic tiles. End is slightly rushed.

Summary
Evie
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, adult
Sharon Lynn Fisher's second novel, The Ophelia Prophecy, is a highly entertaining, action-packed, escapist science fiction romance, full of thrills, twisty surprises and tension. It might not be the most polished sci-fi pearl out there, but it certainly delivers everything a good sci fi book should: solid action, unique creatures, some really interesting ideas, captivating, well-thought-out plot line and lots and lots of excitement. Plus, it's hot. Seriously, mind-blowingly hot.

The story follo
Willa
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Sharon Lynn Fisher follows her brilliant debut novel, Ghost Planet, with another fascinating glimpse into a unique and compelling world. The Ophelia Prophecy brings the post-apocalyptic oppression of humans by Manti hybrids to edge-of-your-seat life through the eyes of Asha, a human woman caught in confusing and perilous captivity behind enemy lines. The one person she should fear most of all, her Manti captor, Pax, is the only person she can trust. Or can she?

Asha and Pax's journey from enemie
Sharon Fisher
May 30, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Author Note
A lot of people have asked if there will be a sequel to this book. Now that I have the rights back to the story, I do plan to continue it with Iris and Carrick.
Anya
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Ophelia Prophecy by Sharon Lynn Fisher is a romantic sci-fi about a future where humanity’s creations have taken over: human-insect hybrids rule the world now. I’ve always said that I’m not against romance, I just want there to be another plot and the romance needs to be convincing. The Ophelia Prophecy is a perfect example of this done well; I loved the romance and was intrigued by the world and mystery that Asha has set out to solve.
Note: I received The Ophelia Prophecy from the publisher
Marlene
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

Cassandra was right, but no one listened to her. In The Ophelia Prophecy, a lot of people have an interest in making Ophelia’s predictions come true, whether they should or not.

This is definitely science fiction, but of the genetic engineering/biopunk/dystopian type, rather than the space opera version. We don’t travel off-planet, just into a not-too-distant future where the humans have been the authors of their own destruction, something that is certainly
Shiori
Oct 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: my enemies
Recommended to Shiori by: people who should know better
The Ophelia Prophecy is the worst book not written by Patricia Briggs I've read in 2014. Quite a lofty claim while there's still a month left in the year, but I'm hoping the universe doesn't hate me enough to send an even worse book my way before December 31st.

Wow, where do I even start with this one?

In a future where genetically engineered bug people (Manti) have all but destroyed the human race, our human heroine (Asha) encounters the Manti hero (Pax) and together they have to throw their coll
Bethany
Feb 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

This review is based on an ARC ebook received for free from NetGalley. I am not being paid to review this book and what I write here is my own opinion. My rating scale is below.

brief
A romance novel disguised as science fiction with a lesson about humanity, The Ophelia Prophecy tells the story of a human woman and the not-quite-human Manti she must rely on for survival, and how the two of them learn how much they - and their races - truly need one another.

full review

Publishing Date: March 2014
ISBN: 9780765374189
Genre: Scifi
Rating: 1.0/5

Publisher Description: Our world is no longer our own.
We engineered a race of superior fighters–the Manti, mutant humans with insect-like abilities. Twenty-five years ago they all but destroyed us.
Some of us intend to do more than survive. Asha and Pax—strangers and enemies—find themselv
Vickie
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I heard that Sharon Fisher had a new book due out I had to bug her for an ARC. Why you ask?? Well have you not read Ghost Plant? No? Then you have no idea what you are missing out on and I can only recommend you go read it, or at least get it on your TBR pile.

That book is the reason I had to have this one. No, its not the next in the series, but I had enjoyed Ghost Planet so much, that I was hoping The Ophelia Prophecy would be equally as amazing. I was not disappointed.

Ms Fishers world bui
Amanda
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, own
This book is definitely original. There are things out there about mutants, but insect-human hybrids? I think that the world building in this book was done rather well. There was a good amount of science mixed in so it felt realistic. The action in this book never lets up. I thought at the beginning, 'Can they really keep this amount of intensity and action up?' Well the answer is yes.

I'm pretty satisfied that there isn't insta-love in this book, because I really can't stand that and I thought
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
"Whether her face, her body, her mind, or some combination, it was her. He'd told her that they shared a special bond, a bond he hadn't believed in until two days ago. Wasn't it a kind of sign? A sign that there was room for both of their speciaes in this aftertime?"

A thrilling and adventurous read, The Ophelia Prophecy is definitely on top of the list of Sci-Fi Romances. The romance itself wasn't your typical fall-in-love-with-first-glance type of love and the author definitely made
Kay Hudson
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sharon Lynn Fisher’s first novel, Ghost Planet, was a colony planet story with a twist. The Ophelia Prophecy is completely different, set on Earth after humanity has nearly been destroyed by the results of genetic engineering gone wildly out of control. The world is now controlled by the Manti, the largely (but not always) humanoid results of those experiments. The heroine, Asha, is a member of the isolated human community of Sanctuary, until the day she wakes up along the lake shore near a Mant ...more
Jaclyn
2.5 Stars

The Ophelia Prophecy is a sci-fi romance that I was really looking forward to. The premise sounded amazing:

Some of us intend to do more than survive.

Nikyta
This review can be found at The Blogger Girls review site.

When Asha and Pax wake up in the desert with no memory of how they got there or who each other are, Pax makes a rash decision of bringing the mysterious human woman with him on his ship. Unfortunately, he not only can’t trust Asha but he can’t trust himself around Asha, especially when his Manti instincts are pushing him to mate her. With his growing attachment to Asha, Pax isn’t willing to let her out of his sight but that proves impossi
Kristen
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
GENRE: Science Fiction
THEME: Romance, Mystery
RECEIVED: Publisher
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:

I couldn’t wait to read another science fiction romance by Fisher. After Ghost Planet I knew she would create another romantic plot twisting storyline with all the thrills of science fiction. I wasn’t disappointed, I was intrigue, surprised and hooked by the idea of insect human hybrids, but don’t worry this isn’t like the movie The Fly, our hero has the instincts but otherwise is human
Van (Short & Sweet Reviews)
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Disclosure: I received a review copy from the publicist in exchange for a honest review.

I became a fan of Fisher’s after reading her first novel, Ghost Planet and couldn’t wait to dive back into another science fiction romance. Like Ghost Planet, Fisher did an amazing job combing two types of genres, creating a harmonious balance that showcased her writing/ storytelling ability. The world-building was very detailed and plot just as engaging; accomplishments in itself…as there are many books out
Stacey Brutger
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

DESCRIPTION:

Some of us intend to do more than survive.

Asha and Pax -- strangers and enemies -- find themselves stranded together on the border of the last human city, neither with a memory of how they got there.

Asha is an archi
Lexie
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
In Fisher's first book, GHOST PLANET, I had a few qualms with the narrative style. It was rather confusing honestly. I'm happy to say that this second book, not related to GHOST PLANET, kept me riveted to my Kindle (of which I read the e-ARC on).

The premise is pretty simple - humans f'ed up by creating a race of beings to be their second class and it turned out very very badly. For everyone. For the "Manti" (which is really a short form of anyone with mutagens basically...yes we managed to be ev
Christal (Badass Book Reviews)
See this review and others like it at Badass Book Reviews!

The Ophelia Prophecy was a wonderful science fiction romance about bioengineering, inter-species politics, and of course the smexy lovin'. Asha and Pax have chemistry from the very beginning but the consummation doesn't come into play until near the end. No, Sharon Lynn Fisher isn't being cruel; there is a lot of development both Asha and Pax must go through before they are actually ready to be together. Sharon has created a complex socie
L.E.Olteano
Originally posted at Butterfly-o-Meter Books on Apr 23rd 2014:

Fluttering Thoughts:
Worldbuilding: Jesus freaking Christ, okay? The worldbuilding was insanely awesome, with freakish Manti (I have insect issues, okay? :p ), a fabulous Manti world with human reservations, scarab AI ships, I mean, biopunk and the works!
Characters: Asha was a mystery, I mean she finds herself in this weird situation, doesn’t have any idea how she got there. She just jumps into action and does whatever she can, there’s
Johanna
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Ophelia Prophecy was a surprise for me. It has everything a science fiction novel needs, interesting world-building, new technology and, in this case, even a strong romance plotline. I enjoyed how the love story and the general plot intermingled without getting in each other's way. Even if you're not usually into Scifi, I would recommend this book to all fans of paranormal literature because I figure it's not too different from a human facing a shapeshifter society or else.

What a brilliant i
Erin
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was pretty excited to read this until I realized it is by the author of Ghost Planet, which I did not love. But that's nobody's fault but my own. And I finished this thing in record time anyway, so bygones.

I think Fisher keeps drawing me in because her set-ups are so great: a planet where everyone has a ghost attached to them! A future earth where the part-insect creatures humanity engineered have turned against us and now rule over us from Granada, of all freakin' places! The latter is, of co
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Well then, color me surprised. Romantic science fiction hasn’t been this good since Ann Aguirre’s Sirantha Jax series! With a strong worldbuilding and an even stronger romance, The Ophelia Prophecy is a breath of fresh air in a (sub)genre that desperately needs it.

Asha and Pax were born on opposite sides of a long and bloody conflict. She is one the few remaining humans, raised in the Sanctuary, humanity’s last stand. Pax is Manti, a human-animal genetic hybrid, and a prince of sorts among his
Kara-karina
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
3.5/5
This was a nice read, but it lacked bite, ladies and gents. I think I'm spoiled by Jean Johnson and R. Lee Smith who blew my mind with their complex sci-fi novels, and anything less feels a bit bland.

The Ophelia Prophecy is a quiet book with a neat world-building and main characters used to downplaying their feelings, so when someone explodes (emotionally) the reader feels rather surprised. *I'm looking at you, Beck*

Asha comes from Sanctuary, one of the last reserves of humanity in the worl
« previous 1 3 next »
City of Books: The Ophelia Prophecy Jinnie and Amanda 4/3/14 16 15 Apr 06, 2014 11:48AM

• Heart's Prisoner (Dark World Mates #1)
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • Strange Love (Galactic Love, #1)
  • Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles, #1)
  • Warleader (Borderlands, #1)
  • Full of Briars (October Daye, #9.3)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Once Bitten (Shadow Guild: The Rebel #1)
  • Band Sinister
  • Age of Deception (The Firebird Chronicles, #2)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Wicked Deal (Shadow Guild: The Rebel, #2)
  • The Last Hour of Gann
  • The Fate of Stars (Sea and Stars, #1)
  • Huntress (Royal States, #4)
  • The Long List Anthology Volume 5: More Stories From the Hugo Award Nomination List (The Long List Anthology Series)
  • In Our Own Worlds #2: Four LGBTQ+ Tor.com Novellas
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
Smart, twisty, passionate tales - mash-ups of science fiction, fantasy, and slow-burn romance set in lush and atmospheric worlds.

I live where it rains nine months of the year and am mom to two lovely tweens, two huge dogs, two ridiculous goats, an orange cat and orange mare, and a fluctuating number of poultry.

I have published sci-fi romance with Tor Books and erotic fairy tales with Penguin Ran

News & Interviews