Start by marking “Vitamin D: New Perspectives in Drawing” as Want to Read:
Vitamin D: New Perspectives in Drawing

Vitamin D: New Perspectives in Drawing (Vitamin D)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  4,880 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Emma Dexter's introductory text offers a critical account of the recent evolution and role of drawing in the art world, and introduces some of the trends, methods and artists included in the book. In the following and largest section of the book (over 300 pages and approximately 500 illustrations), the 100 or more artists are presented in an A to Z order. Some artists are ...more
Published December 1st 2005 by Phaidon Press

Arielle Walker
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, visual
These books (the "Vitamin" series of art books) are really really great, and are invaluable resources for fine/visual art students.

What is it with the tiny tiny tiny tiny writing? This isn't something that usually bothers me in books but honestly it's almost unreadable. I get it's an art book, but if there's going to be writing I'd like to be able to actually read it without my face being five centimetres from the page!
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-saves-lives

May 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Definitely my favorite of the Vitamin books. It's a more interesting collection of artists than Vitamin P's Painting book because it fully embraces drawing as a medium unto itself, no longer the mere bastard child of painting, which is a (relatively) new approach to drawing. Of course most of these artists overlap from Vitamin P, but "D" provides a richer perspective and more exciting collection of artists, including sculptors, installation artists and photographers. Where "P" still felt, despit ...more
Jul 20, 2008 rated it liked it
While Vitamin D: New Perspectives in Drawing doesn't suffer from the same over-defensiveness of Vitamin P, it also doesn't quite have its diversity of forms. Many contemporary artists have taken the directness of drawing as permission to adopt the faux-naive drawing style, an overly-cartoony form of hipster drawing I find boring even when it's done at it's best. Nonetheless, there are some real treasures hidden in this collection – one just has to dig a little deeper than in its sister book.
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Artists
Definitely worth it's price tag ... as an artist, I find this book is so full of inspiration (something money can't buy).

I randomly came across it walking through Chapters a month or so ago and couldn't take my eyes off it!

Since then, I've made a point of looking through it everytime I'm in there (which is a lot) ... today I finally bought it!

Beautiful book, worth every penny.
Aug 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: half-read, art
Someone else had a hold on this and I wouldn't have been able to remember half of the people I liked in it anyway, there are so many. That's what galleries are good for--providing a distinct experience that I can call on to remember artists' names.
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i had to have it the first time i cracked it open. each time i leaf through the pages i get more and more out of it. lovely.
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Some interesting work to cast your eyes upon-- I need this jolt right about now...
Jun 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Reproductions of drawings were unsatisfactory, and the type was a light grey and too small. Disappointed.
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's a lot of drawing in this mammoth book and many different definitions of exactly what drawing is. Though the selection is certainly interesting, I was not overwhelmed by inspiration. At times the work seemed overly studied to me; even though well-executed, much of it seemed to lack vision and/or passion.

Still among the work of the 100+ artists represented, ther is plenty to admire. Artists I already kne and liked: Chris Johanson, Marlene Dumas, William Kentridge, Wagechi Mutu. And many ne
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
One of the most beautiful and inspiring books that I own. I read the artist info, but the work featured in this huge book keeps me busy for hours. It's simply one of the best books I have come across, but not compared to novels, since they don't fall in the same category. However, you should look through this book sometime - it's very addictive.
Apr 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-writing
I particularly like the way the book is structured and organized. The entire books is an homage to the form. Each artist is introduced by way of brief biographical information as well as a general explanation of their role in and contribution to the contemporary art world. This makes it much more of a reference or guidebook than strictly an art book. Lovely!
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I used to lug this book around with me place to place because I never got tired of looking through it. I had to stop doing that because it is SO heavy and began ruining the cover of the book! Vitamin D is awesome, hands down.
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you're wondering what is going on in modern drawing/printmaking, check out this book from the library, and you won't be disappointed. Thousands of images printed on heavy drawing paper, this book is beautiful.
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Some of the articles are very snooty and don't discus the artist's work in a constructive way for me but others are fascinating and insightful. Some of the drawings I love and others I don't but it still is a great source of inspiration for me.
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, non-fiction

I wanted to like this more but it just didn't hold up to my expectations. Maybe P will be more what I'm looking for. Certainly a book filled with talented artists but as a personal inspiration it didn't resonate.
Edgar Peña
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Good compilation of understanding contemporary art.
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book on contemporary drawing.
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
brilliant, amazing, refreshing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully crafted. Nice selection of artists. Short but informative essays on each one with at least 4 examples for each artist. A great reference.
Megan Noel
Jul 25, 2008 marked it as to-read
i actually like vitamin d more than vitamin p.... the drawings are more interesting...flip through the text and always learn something
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I think it is usefull for artists specialy painters.
Barrie Collins
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Important food for artists, broad range of work.
Niles Armstrong
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books
amazing collection. someone buy this book for me!!!
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could carry this around with me. I should become a bodybuilder.
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
This is my 'go to' book for inspiration when I need it.
Brendan Clarke
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Anyone with any creative inkling, be it fine art, design or just doodling on a pad when you're bored. This is a must.
Geoffrey Rhodes
Sep 03, 2007 is currently reading it
A really rocking book on contemporary drawing. Well selected and amazing well printed. Includes Royal Art Lodge....
Michael Endo
Mar 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: studio-shelf
Another "must have" book for anyone interested in art.
Kirsten König
My favourite book on drawing!
  • Vitamin P: New Perspectives in Painting
  • Theories and Documents of Contemporary Art: A Sourcebook of Artists' Writings
  • Drawing From Life: The Journal as Art
  • Walton Ford: Pancha Tantra
  • The 20th Century Art Book
  • Arcimboldo (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Interaction of Color