Start by marking “Blood Always Tells” as Want to Read:
Blood Always Tells

Blood Always Tells

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  173 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Dominique Monaghan just wanted to get even with her two-timing, married boyfriend, a washed-up boxer stuck in a toxic marriage to a dangerously spoiled socialite. However, an elaborate blackmail scheme soon lands her in the middle of an unexpected kidnapping... and attempted murder. But who is actually out to kill whom?

Desmond Edgars, Dominique’s big brother, has looked ou
Published April 15th 2014 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Blood Always Tells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Always Tells

Richard
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my review of Davidson's collection, The Black Widow Club, I sort-of compared her to Hitchcock. Yep, I did that. And I'll probably do it again here. Davidson impressed me again with this book, with her skill with plot and character, and the melding of the two. She tells a crafty story about a former supermodel who's plot to blackmail her married ex-boyfriend is thwarted by a bigger, deeper, and ultimately more deadly conspiracy. To say more would betray the joy of discovering the Hitchcockian ...more
Amy Lignor
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An extremely good read, the characters in this suspense bring excitement to every page.

Dominique Monaghan is a supermodel who is, shall we say, a little past her prime. She has decided to get even with her ex-boyfriend, Gary Cowan, for stringing her along and playing a game she’s just figured out. For one thing, he is married. A boxer who is also past his prime, Gary is in a marriage with a very spoiled socialite who’s more than a little dangerous.

The supermodel, of course, is a bit dangerous to
Benoit Lelièvre
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was kind of excited to learn Hilary Davidson was done with her Hitcockian Lily Moore trilogy, not because it was bad, but because I know for a fact it's only one side of her writing talent. Everyone who had read her short stories know how singular and twisted she can get. Then comes BLOOD ALWAYS TELLS, her first standalone novel.

Hilary Davidson is such a gifted classical storyteller. She doesn't play with the form at all, her novels real like airport thrillers, except they're a lot more comple
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"...I also know that blood always tells. Your mother was a murderer. You're capable of killing a man just like she did."

Blood Always Tells was an incredible story about what means to lose a family and stick to them even after they are gone. It had everything. Amazing plot, great characters, and non stop action with twists that noone could have predicted.

Story starts off when Dominique puts together a plan to set up her ex-boyfriend Gary to tell her the truth about his wife. Spending a weeke
Rory Costello
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The setup here is reminiscent of an Elmore Leonard tale -- but before long, this story heads into darker terrain. I particularly enjoyed the sharp wit that's on display, especially with regard to New York society. That aspect reminded me a great deal of Dominick Dunne's work.

Where Hilary Davidson differs from other authors, however, is in how she crafts her stories. There are multiple layers, which she reveals expertly. As with her Lily Moore books (of which I have read two), the inner workings
(;Missy.Lala;)
They're two things I wanted to say before I start my review:

One: I won this book in a goodreads giveaway, and I have to say, I am glad, because this book left me at the edge of my seat, and left me wanting more!!

Two: This is my very first book that I have read from this author... I know I'm horrible, but I just discovered her through this book, and now I want to read more of her books....

Anyway on with the review!

This book has a person named Dominique (I don't like that name, too long :P).
S
Amie Burton
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this would be a 4.5 since I couldn’t stop reading it- I needed to know who the killer was and so I read for 24 hours straight basically!
Kerry Clare
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I came to crime fiction via Kate Atkinson, so Hilary Davidson is something of a departure. She’s less blurry about genre, more bare-bones, hardboiled. Though not so much that there isn’t a character here who isn’t always spouting literary allusions, this time Marcus Aurelius. And the spouter is Desmond Edgars, a fascinating character, a helicopter pilot who hauled his own good self out of a troubled youth by way of a good education and military service. Though there is a hollowness to him, somet ...more
Shonna Froebel
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian, thriller
This mystery thriller is a stand alone novel. As it begins Dominique Monaghan, a model turned stylist, has reconnected with an ex-boyfriend that she feels had wronged her. She has plans to get even, but are those plans really her own, or was she influenced by someone with their own agenda? As the evening begins to go horribly wrong and she finds herself the victim of a kidnapping, she begins to question her boyfriend's actions and realize that she is in over her head. She calls the one person sh ...more
Kim Fay
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Congrats to Hilary Davidson for this chilling standalone departure from her Lily Moore series. I read all the Lily books and will follow her anywhere, but I'm glad Davidson took a break, because I needed this book for an escapist day of rapid page turning. I wouldn't quite call this a beach read - too many deaths (and some violence) for a sunny day. This is the story of a woman, Dominique, who discovers that her married lover is cheating not only on his wife, but on her, as well - and decides to ...more
Star
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
BLOOD ALWAYS TELLS is a twisted tale of revenge, murder, family, and loyalty. Dominique Monaghan is a beautiful woman who fell for the wrong married man. When she found out he was also cheating on her, she comes up with a plan to blackmail him. Yet, it backfires in a big way and she finds herself kidnapped along with her cheating beau. Desmond Edgars is Dominique’s brother and protector. Always looking out for her since their mother was convicted for Dominique’s father’s murder; he doesn’t hesit ...more
Renee
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wcls
In a stand-alone story based in NYC, Hilary Davidson gives us many of answers and then robs us of the easy solutions. That is just the way I like it.

Davidson is also the queen of 'fore-shadowing', one of my first-learned and ever-favorite literary terms. And why does she wear the crown? Because she fore-shadowed the reveal of an old secret. Yes, she built UP to the PAST! (Kinda Doctor Who-ish.)

Okay, it has probably been done before and a reader probably knows the big secret before the reveal.
Lisa
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Since it was frigid in Denver, it was time to read a new mystery by one of my favorite authors Hilary Davidson. Blood Always Tells is the story of model/stylist Dominique who falls for the wrong man. Both have secrets and he has enemies. Dominique's brother Desmond is summoned and must figure out the mystery, the secrets while shedding light on his troubled past. It was hard to put down, as are all of Davidson's. I highly recommend it!
Brandon Nagel
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hilary Davidson can tell a story like no other...she could make the ABC's exciting. I love her Lily Moore series and when I found out about the stand alone, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Not disappointed. Everything about the story was excellent. I would recommend this book to anyone who READS. Doesn't matter if you like mysteries, crime, noir, whatever. Just a damn fine read.
zackxdig
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laurali
This was a very fast read, and I found the twists and turns interesting...although there were several points I thought didn't ring quite right. I may have to look up Davidson's mystery series as they sound a bit more up my alley.
Hilary
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Popsugar reading challenge 2018 - a book given as a gift
Paula
Oct 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit
Boring book about horrid characters. If I hadn't been stuck in a traffic jam, I wouldn't have gotten as far as I did in listening to it. It never takes off--characters talking, talking, talking, rehashing. Even though there should be suspense because of an interesting initial situation, there is not. After awhile, I skipped through, looking for something to intrigue me, but it just got worse & worse. The stop-and-go traffic was more interesting.
Y
Ruthsidra
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Okay enough - will not make me go out and binge read but good nevertheless...
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense, canadian
My Review: I wasn't sure what to expect from Hilary Davidson because I hadn't heard about her before and had only picked up this book based on my long-time friend (and fellow Library Assistant) Beth's insistence that it was a good suspenseful read. Honestly, a 'word of mouth' read is one of my favourite ways to find a new author and Beth knows me and my 'book likes' so very well.

Blood Always Tells starts off strong because Davidson doesn't waste any time getting into the storyline and suspense.
Lynne
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Before reading Hilary Davidson’s Blood Always Tells I was on the verge of another book slump but luckily this book prevented that from happening. Blood Always Tells is a story that is told in different parts with three different narrators. It starts with Dominique Monaghan, a model with pretty horrible taste in men. When we first meet her, she is having an affair with a married ex-boxer. One day while trying to get revenge on him, the two of them end up getting kidnapped. The second part is then ...more
Amy
I have enjoyed Hilary Davidson's series centered on Lily Moore, which are not only mysteries, but, since the main character is a travel writer (as the author is) take me on a journey to a new location, as well. When I heard that a new novel was out, I snagged a copy, not even noting at all what it was about. In this case, the novel is a stand alone, but carries with it the same crafting of a mystery that hooked me with earlier writing.

A beautiful woman wants revenge on her charming but deceitfu
Steve Weddle
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I know Hilary Davidson. She blurbed my book. I've interviewed her a number of times for the DoSomeDamage blog. She's good people. So, if I hadn't liked this book, I would have just not said anything. That happens sometimes among writers. Luckily, that's not what happened this time.
BLOOD ALWAYS TELLS is my favorite Davidson novel, and that's saying something.
I really enjoyed the Lily Moore books - the travel and intrigue and all.
This novel takes all that was great about those and adds something,
Joe
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What I love so much about Hilary Davidson's work is her ability to be both cutting edge and mainstream. She knows the tropes of the genre, then delights in twisting those rules, tweaking expectations, and standing everything on its ear. Here, Davidson plays with POV, dividing her novel into three parts, as told by Dominique, Desmond, and Polly, with the bulk of the narrative falling on that second player. And it really feels like Desmond's story, and his character more than carries the weight. T ...more
Linda
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
When a fashion model and her married lover are found dead in a dilapidated house, the cause of death is carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty furnace. Dominique had called her brother Desmond and asked for his help. When Desmond arrived at the house, he found Dominique and Gary dead. The police are calling it an accident but Desmond isn’t buying it. He starts investigating on this own and stirs up a hornet’s nest.

Davidson's books always have unexpected endings and this one is no different.
Christopher White
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
A bizarre crime story with some twists and turns, and then the twists and turns become disconnected from the story and become their own story...something that happens when the perfect murder is pulled off by imperfect people, one of whom doesn't even seem to exist, and inspired and applauded by an incompetent Cruella figure...yeah, bizarre is an understatement. I should read this again, because I can't remember who did what to whom...but there have got to be better books out there to read...I'm ...more
Eve Nolon
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first I've read from Davidson although I remember wanting to read her debut when Laura Lippman recommended it. I grabbed this at Audible when I couldn't find anything else, to be honest, but what a delicious surprise. Davidson is extremely talented in crafting characters that organically move the story along from one surprise to another. Davidson breaks out of the typical crime format and does amazing things for it. I enjoyed this so much and cannot wait to read more of her novels.
Robert
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A woman finds herself in trouble when she attempts to blackmail her boyfriend, her married boyfriend who was cheating on her, not with his wife but another woman. So now we see her brother step in to save the day and the story shifts to his point of view. There is one more shift but I won't spoil that one. This is a pretty decent mystery with some real good plot twists that kind of keep the reader guessing. I liked it enough that were I able I would have gone with about a 3.5 star review.
Ehbooklover
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. A great stand-alone thriller by the author of the Lily Moore mystery series. This was an edge-of-your-seat suspense story that is told from the point of view of three equally interesting characters that never let up. Full of twists and turns, I couldn’t put this one down and finished it in just one day!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Shroud Maker (Wesley Peterson, #18)
  • What You See (Jane Ryland, #4)
  • The Cheapside Corpse (Thomas Chaloner, #10)
  • Retribution (Kirk McGarvey, #18)
  • Jigsaw Man (Mark Tartaglia, #4)
  • A Measure of Blood (Richard Christie, #7)
  • Wakulla Springs
  • Midnight
  • Hot Stuff
  • Unreasonable Doubt (Constable Molly Smith #8)
  • Mama Koko and the Hundred Gunmen: An Ordinary Family's Extraordinary Tale of Love, Loss, and Survival in Congo
  • 12 Rose Street (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery, #15)
  • Going Home Again
  • Tre Hundes Nat
  • Muzzled (Kate Turner, DVM #1)
  • Soon
  • They Danced by the Light of the Moon
  • The Two Sisters of Borneo (Ava Lee, #6)
Hilary Davidson’s first novel, THE DAMAGE DONE (Forge, 2010) won the 2011 Anthony Award for Best First Novel, and the Crimespree Award for Best First Novel. (It was also a finalist for the Macavity and Arthur Ellis awards). It launched a series featuring travel writer Lily Moore, and continued with 2012's THE NEXT ONE TO FALL and 2013's EVIL IN ALL ITS DISGUISES. Her first standalone novel, BLOOD ...more