Start by marking “Victories (Shadow Grail, #4)” as Want to Read:
Victories (Shadow Grail, #4)

Victories

(Shadow Grail #4)

The fourth and final book in the Shadow Grail series by the "New York Times "and "USA Today "bestselling authors Mercedes Lackey and Rosemary Edghill

Spirit White and her friends Burke, Loch, and Addie have escaped from Oakhurst Academy. But their freedom has come at a terrible cost--a dear friend sacrificed her own life to save theirs. In the wake of Muirin's death, they
Published April 22nd 2014 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Victories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victories

Start your review of Victories (Shadow Grail, #4)
Kathy Davie
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Fourth and last in the Shadow Grail urban fantasy series for YA and revolving around Spirit, Burke, Loch, and Addie.

My Take
I think Lackey/Edghill were impatient to get this series over with and crammed everything into this one. Not to its enhancement. For all the build-up the Shadow Grail series receives, Victories is a major disappointment. After everything everyone has gone through, the complicated twists, and then Lackey/Edghill suddenly drop the ball. I had thought finding the Hallows, that
Susan Pola Staples
Mercedes Lackey is one of my favourite authors. I have enjoyed rereading the three previous books in the series.

I did correctly presume who was the reincarnated Guenivere, Spirit; however, I was only partially correct in identifying Arthur. I thought Burke was either he or Lancelot. I totally missed identifying Loch as Lancelot and Addie as Vivienne, The Lady of The Lake.

The villains had identified themselves in Book 3, SACRIFICES.

Once of the best things about the book is the role of Guenivere.
Jo Oehrlein
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
The only one of this series not set in a boarding school because they left the school, running for their lives, at the end of the prior book.

They meet with Quercus, find important British relics to help them, and discover who they really are (as reincarnates). Then, the battle ensues.

This is definitely not a stand-alone book -- you'd be lost without the prior books in the series. It's also best if you know a good bit about King Arthur legends. It's set in the present and there are lots of
Becky
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Meh. Lackey has turned too preachy for me. At 13 she was great but now... not so much. I think I only finished this series out of nostalgia.
Ann Cathey
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mercedes-lackey
The culmination of the Shadow Grail saga offers the same attention to detail and subtle humor as the rest of the series in a steady flow with some surprising revelations, well constructed tactics and a not-quite fairy tale YA ending. The series is a good read for young and old alike, with it's intriguing spin on the Arthurian legends coming to an interesting end.
Alexandra
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: english, magic
The last book seemed more organised and the action got a bit interesting. But overall such a silly book series. I hope I will not encounter series like this again. But if I do at least I will stop sooner, and I will not lose days by trying to finish them.
Sabrina Morgan
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This series is aimed at teenagers. I was sucked in from the first book to the last. I had to see how it all ended. It is a wonderful mystery with magic and intrigue.
Veronica
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disappointing ending to the series. I don't know what I expected, but this was too corny for even Lackey's "happily ever after." Total letdown.
Kristin Taggart
I don't use star ratings, so please read my review!

(Description nicked from B&N.com.)

“Spirit White and her friends Burke, Loch, and Addie have escaped from Oakhurst Academy. But their freedom has come at a terrible cost—a dear friend sacrificed her own life to save theirs. In the wake of Muirin’s death, they are also forced to deal with the terrifying truth behind the facade of Oakhurst Academy: all of the legends are true.

Queen Guinevere, King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
Natasha
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it
The Book Breeze
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a fast-paced read that resolves most of the issues faced by Spirit in the previous books. However, like the others who stand beside her, she must face her immediate past and the loss of her family before she can take on Mordred. The ensemble cast of characters continues to act consistently while they come to terms with whom and what they originally were. Spirit had already fallen in love with Burke, but now they discover their previous roles in the Arthurian legend. Heroic, brave and ...more
William Bentrim
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it

Victories is an excellent wrap up to a good four book series. The authors did an excellent job tying up loose ends and making clear everything that had gone on in the previous three books. I thought the previous books dragged a bit as they focus primarily the insecurities of a bunch teenagers. This book has more action and consequently was a more interesting read.

This book is definitely a young adult book and is marketed as such. That is not to disparage it but a caution that it may be a bit
Victoria
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Finally finished the series. Usually after a series this long I feel sad, parting with the characters and the world, but here the good byes were easy. Although I finally started to like the main character by the book 4, at that point it was too little too late to care much for her or others. So at the end I felt relief more, than anything.

Overall the idea of the series was interesting, but the execution fell flat. The plot holes, the untied ends, the unbelievable villain and the winey main
Doris
Although this final book picked up the theme of the nearly-adult Spirit and her friends, I was a bit disappointed. Part of the story to this point had been the constant need of the group to defend themselves and work to find a way around difficulties. In this story, solutions seemed to present themselves as soon as a difficulty arrived. In addition, there were constant references to other parts of the story from earlier books, including characters who we were supposed to remember from a quick ...more
Furrawn
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous ending. Epic battle. Legends reincarnate. Goid versus evil.

All the answers you had from the first three books are here. In a perfect package. Perfect. Including, sadly, answers to things you hoped would be different.

I hoped Muirin had used an illusion spell in the last book when she was shot.

Spirit, Burke, Loch, and Addie all grow. They change. They become who they are meant to be.

Great story. I'll reread the books again in a few years.

You should read them at least once.

I have heard
Dana
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this was the best book of the series. It does a good job of discussing that we all have a "dark" side. We all have to make choices on whether or not to go down the easy path (many times this is just conforming even if we aren't sure it is right) or doing what is hard (many times this is doing what is the human thing to do). I really liked that the story discussed this part of life as I think our hypercritical society forgets that we all have to make this choice and sometimes we make ...more
Marissa
Jan 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Overall, a good conclusion to the series. Because the main characters were on the run from Oakhurst and preparing for the final showdown, it was a bit more attention-grabbing from the beginning. School's out for an epic battle.... A number of rapid revelations come, and the full retelling of the Arthurian legend that is being used here comes to light, which holds some nice twists. There were a few issues left open-ended, some of which were even called out by the characters at the end. Despite ...more
Kimberly
The final book in the series and the rest of the details unfold about the Shadow Knights and others. They learn that King Arthur, Queen Guinevere, the Knights of the Round Table and others really did live- and with the help of Merlin, they imprisoned Mordred... who managed to free himself. Spirit has to accept the memories of past lives in order to awaken the others in order to defeat Mordred for good.
Hilary
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I still have mixed feelings about this series. On the one hand, it's a great concept (view spoiler) but somehow it doesn't quite hold together for me. Maybe it's because the whole series happens within about 6 months.

Teens on the younger end of the scale will probably enjoy it much more.
Jane Irish Nelson
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Deborah K Warren
Not bad, just trying to wrap my head around the whole Arthurian stuff is difficult. I'd love to know where the authors found their research for this particular part of the legend, as it contradicts the most mainstream versions.
Liked the "Ghost in the Shell" idea. However I found the ending to be a little too abrupt. Could have done more here, I think.
Kaemea
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Other than an extremely cheap shot at Fox News, this was my favorite of the four books. The Reincarnates could have been brought to their memories sooner, like at the very least in the third book, if not the second, but all in all, it was a good story. Too bad Lackey and Edghill couldn't keep their politics out of it.
Kayla Tornello
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I really enjoyed the blending of the ancient Arthurian legends with modern times. It really helps to be familiar with the legends if you want to understand who all the characters are supposed to be in this book. I felt like too much action was crammed into too little book. The pace felt so fast that all details were lost. Everything felt frenetic and superficial.
J.L.
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: may-2014
The finish dates are not a lie. I really did read this entire 4-book series in less than 36 hours. Perfect brain candy for being stuck in a hotel all day, followed by an 8 hour international flight and 3 hour car ride. I loved how the Arthurian legend was woven in.

(Is it just me, or does it look like Billie Piper on the cover of this book to anyone else?)
Joy
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Certainly a good adventure, with many current references and fast paced for a YA series. The authors don't hesitate to kill off characters and many do die in this war of ancient Arthurian Days reincarnated into the modern world.
Susan
May 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Spirit White and her friends Burke, Loch, and Addie have escaped from Oakhurst Academy. Now they must save the world from Mordred. All these reincarnated Arthurian characters were more than a bit much. A real disappointment from an author that I generally like.
Tina Pegar
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, magic
This was a good but really busy and confusing book. I think if they had added another 50 pages and have it some more explanation and room for us as a reset to breathe out would have been a much better book. It was a very exciting conclusion to a series I didn't want to put down.
Shirley
May 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I just feel this series started off too slowly. And then this book there were vast periods of time where they do nothing and then whoa, we're onto the final battle. So yes, pacing problems. I like the premise but maybe grasping at boarding school straws much?
Katy
Sep 24, 2014 added it
Shelves: read-2015
A satisfying (if foregone) conclusion. In some ways, it was a bit anticlimactic -- didn't feel like the "bad guys" were really making a serious effort.

(view spoiler)
Elaine
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Fun teen book. Great characters.

• Thirteen Moons
  • Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11)
  • Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Vorkosigan Saga, #15)
  • A Civil Campaign (Vorkosigan Saga, #12)
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
  • Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
  • Memory (Vorkosigan Saga, #10)
  • Diplomatic Immunity (Vorkosigan Saga, #13)
  • CryoBurn (Vorkosigan Saga, #14)
  • Shards and Ashes
  • Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
  • Irresistible Forces
  • Once Upon a Time
  • The Hollow of Fear (Lady Sherlock, #3)
  • Forever
  • Always a Witch (Witch, #2)
  • The Ship Who Sang (Brainship, #1)
  • PartnerShip (Brainship, #2)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts ...more

Shadow Grail (4 books)
  • Legacies (Shadow Grail, #1)
  • Conspiracies (Shadow Grail, #2)
  • Sacrifices (Shadow Grail, #3)