Start by marking “The Fourth Horseman (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Fourth Horseman (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #3)

The Fourth Horseman

(Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #3)

May 1144. Newly wedded, Gareth and Gwen travel across the border into England on a diplomatic mission with Prince Hywel of Wales. But when the mission goes awry and a murder case drops (literally) at their feet, Gareth and Gwen race to uncover a plot that threatens not only their lives, but the life of the future King of England himself.

Set in a climate of civil war and co
Paperback, 1st, 341 pages
Published May 28th 2013 by The Morgan-Stanwood Publishing Group (first published May 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Fourth Horseman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fourth Horseman

Frenchie
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of medieval whudunnits
Recommended to Frenchie by: no one.
Rating: 4.5

This is my favourite of the Gareth and Gwen Mysteries series.

The plot in The Fourth Horseman is more complex than in the previous books, a real political intrigue, with spies everywhere. Well, there are not so many spies but they all seem to turn their coats so many times that you do not trust anyone anymore. I thought I had an idea of whom the traitor and muderer was quite early on, but Sarah Woodburry laid many false trails that I thought ''Nah, can't be'' and then changed my mind,
Erik Sapp
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
First, I would recommend reading a little about the time period when this book is set (The Anarchy). The first part of the book was confusing until I looked up who the players were.

Even once I worked that out, though, there were too many characters. It was difficult to keep track of who the Normans were, and how everyone was connected. (The Welsh were easy to keep track of.) The story was good, but kept getting lost in all the names

I've liked this series, and will continue to read the books.
Susan
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1144, newly wedded Gareth and Gwen are in the entrouge of Princes Hwyel and Rhun on their vist to Newcastle-upon-Lyme. On a diplomatic mission to Duke Robert, the brother to the Empress Maud of England. Within minutes of arriving at the castle they are greeted by a body pushed over the walls landing at their feet. They are given leave to investigate.
An enjoyable well-written mystery and I look forward to reading the next in the series.
Voirrey
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A more complicated book that the earlier ones - but none the worse for that :)

Interesting to see Rhun and Hywel, and Gareth and Gwen, out of their comfort zone, and at times their depth, in the complications, machinations, and intrigues of the English nobles in the civil war between rivals for the English throne.
Sian Iola Percival
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book in the series, giving a nice insight into the Saxon/Norman side of things and not just the welsh. As with the others i did not see that being the end of the story, but I did guess a few things that turned out true. Well worth reading.
Bonnie
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable mystery without explicit sex or violence. The history it illuminates is interesting.
Pat Welte
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this series with the medieval times and suspense, murder, romance and all the exciting stories.
Vickie
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoying this series. This one really had me a little confused with all the characters. Wish there was a little more romance between the main characters.
Bruce
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Lots of twists and turns, all saturated in British history!
Leone
Very convoluted story this time but still an enjoyable read. The characters were a bit wooden so will take a break from this series for awhile.
Dinnl
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit more complex plot this time but enjoyable as always. looking forward to reading the next one.
Lia Patterson
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was another fun read - after all, there is nothing more pleasant than whiling away an afternoon with a few corpses ;-D The pacing was good, with a new surprise around the corner all the time.

It also ties the events of the series into the history of the civil war between Stephen and Mathilda, which was interesting.

(Although for a more balanced view of Mathilda I'd recommend She-Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth, which shows how difficult it was for a woman - whose natura
Susan
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The plot thickens!

If you are a fan of the series, this one will not disappoint. I think it's "the best so far" but may lose that designation when I continue on to the next book. In this one, Gwen and Gareth are traveling in England with Prince Hywel, Prince Rhun and the rest of their company on a diplomatic visit. They arrive to be greeted with a dead body literally dropped at their feet, from the castle walls above, are led on quite a chase following the clues and being swept along by intrigues
Bethany Swafford
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Guests in a strange court, newlyweds Gwen and Gareth have a mystery dropped, quite literally, at their feet. In a place where the people they can trust steadily dwindles, they must work what is the truth and what is a lie.

As ever, I adore this couple. They each have their strengths when it comes to approaching a mystery, and together they make a formidable crime-solving force. I especially appreciated how their married state didn't change them, save for Gareth's concern for what his wife is expo
Bron
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: time-past
I grew up in Hanley, just a few miles away from Newcastle under Lyme, which seemed to me to be a bit posh, a quiet, slightly boring place although the market was good! Newcastle in the 1100s was obviously much more interesting. Our Welsh princes, with Gareth and Gwen in tow, arrive in the middle of a civil war between King Stephen and the Empress Maud. The first murder appears to have been committed in full view of the public but isn't as it seems. More bodies soon turn up as well as spies, trai ...more
Alison
A brief departure from Wales to the clearly english side of th eborder, and a plot designed to explore the world of England's civil war, through an oft-incredulity-invoking plotline of spies and derring do. Woodbury's strengths here are more in the world of the Welsh in a foreign city, but it's still a weaker outing.

There is no Brother Cadfael cameo, in case you were wondering :p
Meri
Amazing!

Kept me guessing until the very end of the mystery. This author writes so well that you think you have an idea of who the culprit really is but you're never quite sure because of an unexpected twist. I can't wait for the next book in the series!
Valerie Antijunti
Holds you captivated to the very end.

Ms Woodbury is such a splendid writer, that she pulls you into the story from the very first page. With all the twists and turns you are kept trying to puzzle out the answer the very end.
Patricia Gulley
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this episode in the life of Gareth, Gwen and Hywel. The time period of the Civil War between Maud and Stephen is interesting and this is just one more complicated event of betrayal and murder.
Agnes
My favourite of the series. Kept me guessing till the end.
Heather Fowler
I enjoyed this book more than the others in the series. It was more complicated and the characters, were broader and more interesting.
The store was well told and historically interesting.
Brenda
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love these characters! Ready for the next one. :)
Betsy
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still enjoying the series.
Louiseann Walter
Good mystery

These books show that CSI People did exist even in early England. I am really impressed with how they do it without modern technology
Mary
Feb 04, 2015
Miranda
Feb 19, 2015
Laurie Fleming
May 11, 2014
patricia schierholt
rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2018
Julie  Kammerzell
Sep 24, 2016
Carol Rosenberg-fox
Dec 17, 2016

• The Guilt of Innocents (Owen Archer, #9)
  • The Thames River Murders (Captain Lacey, #10)
  • After the Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #4)
  • Sins of a Ruthless Rogue (Sinners Trio, #2)
  • What a Gentleman Desires (Redgrave #3)
  • Lord of Temptation (The Risande Family, #2)
  • Nothing But Velvet (Litchfield, #1)
  • Border Wedding (Border Trilogy II, #1)
  • Once a Rake (Drakes Rakes, #4)
  • A Rose In The Storm (Scottish Medieval, #2)
  • Her Ladyship's Companion (Spymasters, #0.5)
  • The Valiant Heart (Heart, #1)
  • Hidden Honor
  • My Valiant Knight
  • Dark Warrior (Warrior, #2)
  • The Counterfeit Mistress (Fairbourne Quartet, #3)
  • An Affair with Mr. Kennedy (The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard, #1)
With two historian parents, Sarah couldn’t help but develop an interest in the past. She went on to get more than enough education herself (in anthropology) and began writing fiction when the stories in her head overflowed and demanded she let them out. While her ancestry is Welsh, she only visited Wales for the first time while in college. She has been in love with the country, language, and peop ...more

Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Good Knight (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #1)
  • The Uninvited Guest (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #2)
  • The Fallen Princess (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #4)
  • The Unlikely Spy (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #5)
  • The Lost Brother (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #6)
  • The Renegade Merchant (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #7)
  • The Unexpected Ally (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #8)
  • The Worthy Soldier (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #9)
  • The Favored Son (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #10)
  • The Viking Prince (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #11)