Start by marking “The Movement of Crowns (Movement of Crowns #1)” as Want to Read:
The Movement of Crowns (Movement of Crowns #1)

The Movement of Crowns

(Movement of Crowns #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  57 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Is it the perfect or the worst time for the kingdom to…change?

The nation of Diachona rejoices as the king’s daughter and heir, Constance, turns twenty. Yet, not everyone approves of Constance’s desire to sit on the National Council: a Council run solely by men.

What’s more, oppressive threats from a neighboring, powerful empire are rousing the people’s fears. Amid rumors
Published May 11th 2013 by CreateSpace (first published September 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Movement of Crowns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Movement of Crowns

N.N. Light
A refreshing, almost fairy tale like, fantasy where royalty, political jockeying and warring neighbours vie for control. There's a slow-burning romance, too, which I enjoyed. I hate to say it, but I was so disappointed when it ended. Too short! I wanted more, which isn't a bad thing for a series. Can't wait to read more from Keels.

My Rating: 4.5 stars
Loretta Marchize (on hiatus)
Okay, so it took me longer than normal to read this book because yesterday my internet suddenly went away and it turns out I had to restart my laptop. (silly me hadn't downloaded this and was reading it in my email, which takes internet)
SO onto the review.
First of all, pg 86- pg 94ish was just a whirlwind of emotions and so so crazy. It was pulled off amazingly, good job, Nadine.
So the plot was really good. At first, it moved a bit slowly, but it wasn't a bad slow.
The one thing is that there wer
Kellyn Roth
It was refreshing to read a fantasy with no magic in it. I enjoyed it a lot, especially since I’m not a fan of dark magic or high/epic fantasy. I couldn’t put it down, quite honestly, because, even without the actual thing, Nadine C. Keels managed to make this an absolutely magical story.

In general, The Movement of Crowns was a pretty good book. It was an novella, but I feel like there could – and should – have been more, which is why it didn’t get five stars.

I wish the plot had been slowed down
Jonel Boyko
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it
The mythical land in which this story takes place is quite well developed. I could visualise it throughout and wanted to go there, were I a man of course. I couldn’t help but picture the scenery and the world as a whole. Keels’ descriptions were well put together and fit very well with the flow of the story.

I found the characters in this novel to be quite superficial. Not only in personality, but in development as well. Because of this they were next to impossible to identify with making it har
Elodie (Readable Mélange)
For someone so interested in politics as myself, it's funny I've never really read a novel where the focus is politics. Until now, that is, because The Movement of Crowns is largely a political fantasy. This made it a slow-moving book, which is not a bad thing (I've been super tired lately and it made me feel relaxed :P ); the only problem I had with that was the beginning was that it failed to draw me in immediately. I personally don't judge a book by a slow beginning - luckily for me in this c ...more
Stella Potts
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful fantasy about kingdoms, Kings and a Princess. Also woven in is a beautiful romance between Princess Constance and Commander Alexander. In the midst of the threat of war and devastation a wonderful thing is taking place as Princess Constance comes of age. You are sure to enjoy this quick read and will want to follow it up with the next book in the series.

I won this book in a contest with no requirement for a review. All views are my own.
Debbie Scott
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT HISTORICAL ROMANCE STORY!

The characters and storyline were superb. The reading of this book was definitely worth the time. Constance and Alexander are a beautiful couple, but I was not looking for an HEA with the report of his death. Thank heavens, you had more in store for us. Thank you, Danny Scott.
Erica Nicole Pait
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Fantasy

This book captures the heart and imagination with its vivid imagery and vivacious main character. While a few long kisses do occur the general nature of this book is sweet, with the perfect dash of fantasy words to make you travel across the invisible realms to the land of Diachonia ( I have no clue if that is spelled correctly)
Meghan Lloyd
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great quick read with a lot of adventure packed into a small package! I enjoyed the spirit of the heroine, with her exuberance for her role as princess and her kindness towards others, regardless of their station. She was a character whom I would love to know, as well as several of the secondary characters.

Princess Constance of Diachona has just come of age, the time when a male heir would typically be named Junior Heir and would assume his rightful duties as the next King. However, she is the
Lauralee
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
In a world that is run by kings, the future of Diachona is insecure. For their king has no sons, only a daughter named Constance. Despite the country’s disappointment for the king’s lack of sons, the king is persistent to make his daughter his heir. While the country’s ongoing debate over naming Constance his heir, the king of Munda, a neighboring country, lusts after some of the lush lands of Diachona. Diachona soon find themselves at the brink of war. Could Constance help save Diachona and in ...more
Jasmine
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short book shares quite a story...

Since I read only a few books each year using the Kindle App on my laptop I kind of figured I would start this book and leisurely read it while doing other things. Yep, that was the plan. Didn't quite work out that way though. Instead I started it in the afternoon and finished that night. This book had a way of pulling you in... maybe it was a little bit of magic...

The Movement Of Crowns is a lovely cross-stitch of threads. It is not only a sweet love story
Lakin
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Movement of CrownsGoodreads Summary
At the point when kingdoms’ ideas of humanity differ…
The nation of Diachona is celebrating the twentieth birthday and rite of passage for Constance, the Diachonian king’s daughter and heir. Yet, the pause for festivity doesn’t erase collective doubts about Constance’s aspiration for a place with the men on the National Council, nor does it eliminate fears roused by oppressive threats from a neighboring, powerful empire. Amid increasing rumors of war and per
Kathryn Svendsen
King Matthias of the kingdom Diachona and his wife have been childless for 10 years until his wife finally bears him an heir. The servants report was brought to him with both joy and empathetic resignation because the child was a girl.

The story picks up again 20 years later when Constance is getting ready to have her 20th birthday celebration and she officially becomes a royal junior, ready to take on royal duties. Against the wishes of many on the king's council, Constance becomes a Junior coun
Kelly Smith Reviews
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Novellas are a strange territory to me. I reviewed the short story collection, The Struggle, a few weeks ago, but otherwise I’ve only reviewed novels. But The Movement of Crowns sounded interesting in Nadine Keels’ proposal, and I decided to read it. Very glad that I did!

Princess Constance has finally reached adulthood in her kingdom of Diachona, and has numerous trials ahead of her: chiefly being the fact that, since she is the king’s only child, will she be accepted into the Council?

Moreover,
Rabid Readers Reviews
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Movement of Crowns is a smart modern fairy tale. Diachona is vividly and beautifully written with a lot of care toward setting the scene of political struggle counterpoised with romance. Keels build her world with a deft hand so that it feels appropriately complex and yet carry an air of stark reality.

Constance is a strong young woman who is realistically flawed. She’s uncertain of herself and has a strong need to prove herself. She relies on her friend for an understanding of her fellow cha
Amelia Elizabeth
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Constance is the princess of Diachona and the only child of the King and Queen. She has great aspirations in being her father's heir and showing those who doubt a woman could rule that they are wrong. She has her father's support and is willing to put in the hard work to prove she has what it takes. By her side is her childhood friend and romantic interest Commander Alexander the leader of the her father's army.

Just as Constance is coming into her role as heir, a neighboring empire starts to thr
Erin Gossman
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“We begin to see what our children will be, from the time when they’re still toddling. But as time passes, at intervals, we find ourselves virtually having to relearn our children, all over again.”
-Matthias to Constance

Overall I really enjoyed this book and intend to read on in the series. I adored Nadine’s words, and am especially partial to the above quote. I have a few qualms with the story, but once I dug through the first couple of pages, I was entranced. I also enjoyed the fact that this y
Jennifer Treviño
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great trip to a far away land! Really a great read! This tale takes us back in time to when kings & queens ruled. We travel with the Princess Constance & her entourage while learning of her family, their kingdom, & their battles. We witness the daily routine of the Princess as she becomes of age preparing for her future. All the while attempting to free herself from the doubts of skeptical elders who are stuck in their belief that women are not meant for decision making & power ...more
Tatia
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
**reviewed for Round Table Book Reviews**

Nadine Keels did a good job creating Diachona. She gave it an old-time feel, bringing back kings and queens. Constance is an only child and princess of Diachona. Being the only heir, she has high aspirations to prove that a woman can rule. She's willing to do whatever it takes to prove everyone wrong.
As if having to wonder if she will be accepted into the council isn't enough, she's also come of ago where it's time to find a suitor. There are man
Anna-marie
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this for Round Table Book Reviews

I found this to be a sweet story, set in the mythical Kingdom of Diachona. Where Constance, thr King’s daughter is coming of age & wishes to join the National Council. She is very clever & well read, she also travelled around the Kingdom, learning about the people who live there & nearby.
It is basically a love story, but we get to explore the wonderful scenery of the Kingdom, with the Princess Constance & the Commander Alexander.
Nadine Keel
Julie Powell
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book by the author for review.

Overall, I liked the central characters, who were believable and I certainly liked Constance's strength. I did find the language quite heavy going, although some descriptions were extremely well done. Although set within a fantasy world, the story did have the feel of 'true' history - that in itself well done, bringing alive the 'world' for its characters (and the reader).

These are not the usual stories I like, but I will say that it was w
Ann Pratley
I was very lucky to receive a complimentary copy of this to read, and what a beautifully written story it is! The storyline, centred around a young female heir to the throne coming of age, delights with a blend of decisions that need to be made by royal leaders and advisors, along with the personal development of emotions by the princess in her future duty to provide the realm with a male heir. The writing provided use of language that made it very easy to actually visualise not only the charact ...more
Melissa
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a well written descriptive book. The author vividly paints the picture for you and you can visualize the entire story. The characters are relatable and everything that occurred had a realistic vibe to it.
Robin
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely wonderful epic fantasy/romance book. From the beginning, I was hooked on the characters, storyline, and excellent use of adjectives. Felt as if I was right there observing and taking part. Nadine is a superb author and I highly recommend this book.
Loretta
This was a great book. A new author to me and definitely one worth reading. I suppose this is fantasy, but reads like historical romance. Loved the voice the author uses.
Rosalind Morris
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am actually reading the whole series, but I just finished this first novella.

What was difficult:

It took me a long time to get into this story, and I think it's because of the writing style. (Though some of it could be attributed to my hectic life of late.) The style was not bad or unpleasant, and honestly it fit the theme and atmosphere of the story well. It just took me a bit to find a flow. I found myself able to put it down easily, even though I was enjoying the story for a time.

What was i
KriisGaia
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book in a three book series, The Movement of Crowns is an epic fantasy set in the kingdom of Diachona. The story follows the royal family from the birth of the new heir.

A patriarchal society, Diachona has never been without a male heir before. But after years of failed attempts, finally, the king and queen are blessed with a daughter. Over the years she grows to be a strong independent woman, traveling to neighboring kingdoms, learning their languages and customs.

The book begins with h
Deb
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this is not a genre I usually read but I found it to be thorough on the day to day happenings in a royal family. Howbeit this total family and kingdom are fantasy. It’s a believable recounting of a King and his daughter and their joys and challenges, even for generations to follow them.
Mala Mukherjee
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, fantasy
A great quick read with a lot of adventure packed in a small package. This is a richly indulgent piece of escapist fantasy about a young woman, Princess Constance, who lives a fairy-tale life: she's beautiful, with a huge and expansive wardrobe and jewellery box, well read, clever, full of integrity, equally deft at ballroom dancing as at political debate. Her father, King Matthias, is the perfect ruler and gentleman, doting on her but encouraging her to fulfil her true potential as the future q ...more
Wendy Hines
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Movement of Crowns is a solid read that I enjoyed, but it did have some good and bad points. I'll talk about the bad first so that I can push that aside and get to the good stuff, because The Movement of Crowns really is a good novel. First, is the cover. I don't want to bash anyone's artistic talent, but if I was browsing in a store for a new book to read, this one is not one I would pick up, simply by the cover. I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but the barbie doll really ne ...more
Nadine. A French name, meaning, "hope."
With her lifelong passion for life-enriching fiction, Nadine C. Keels enjoys reading and writing everything from short stories to novels. Her fiction works include Love Unfeigned and The Movement of Crowns Series, and select pieces of her lyrical poetry can be found on her spoken word album, Hope. Lyricized. As the founder of Prismatic Prospects, her commun

Movement of Crowns (3 books)
  • The Movement of Rings (Movement of Crowns #2)
  • The Movement of Kings (Movement of Crowns #3)