Start by marking “The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth” as Want to Read:
The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth

The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
My name is Benjamin Tooth. This is my journal.

One day I will be remembered as the greatest scientist that the world has ever known and so it is my duty to mankind to record my thoughts that future generations are able to study the progress of a genius.

I am eleven years old.

These are the recently discovered journals of Benjamin Tooth: alchemist, inventor and discoverer of t
Published November 7th 2013 by Faber & Faber (first published November 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth

Josie
Jan 23, 2014 Josie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-books
Received a free copy for review:

I read this during one afternoon as it was an easy read. I thought the book's premise was interesting, well executed mise en scene and good characters. I found Mr Tooth's description of his meals and his Horrible Mother's ailments quite hilarious. The mystery surrounding Mr Tooth's early life, as well as his promise to become a genius were a great beginning and the lyrical old fashioned writing really supported it.

By this point, I could see this story having gre
Becky
Feb 10, 2014 Becky rated it liked it
This was a book my daughter chose when trying to resolve the buy one get half price offer in Waterstones! It seemed an intriguing read based on the cover...

So I have been reading from the journal every night at bedtime. It starts off ordinarily enough if based in the 18th century so some of the language etc is obviously old fashioned. Benjamin seems like an ordinary boy of his time with a fascination for nature and a desire to become a famous naturalist.

Things however never do go to plan in a st
Doyle
Nov 20, 2014 Doyle rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
The first 2/3rds of this book were quirky enough to be enjoyable despite my lack of interest in the plot. However, this story just falls to pieces in the 3rd act, when the previously established characterization and light-hearted fun take a dark turn before abruptly ending in the final 2 pages of the book (with little wrapping-up or satisfactory conclusion). I feel like Mr. Crook's editors failed him when they let him end the book this way.

On a positive note, the illustrations are really, really
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
Mar 27, 2015 Faye {Daydreaming_Star} rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Unfortunately, this book simply did not have the same magic touch that The Windvale Sprites had. It is due to this that it took me a while to get into this book. I was, admittedly, a little disappointed in this book and I fear that ruined some of the enjoyment I could have gotten from it. This book is the prequel to Windvale Sprites and tells the tale of how Benjamin Tooth found the fairies and their powers to stay alive for many, many years. It could very well have been just as light-hearted an ...more
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
Oct 14, 2013 Jenny / Wondrous Reads rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, netgalley
The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth is a great book written by actor Mackenzie Crook, best known to me for his role in the Pirates of the Caribbean films. As always with books written by celebrities, I was dubious to read it, but in a big fan of the faerie family so decided to give it a whirl. I laughed out loud numerous times and found myself thoroughly engrossed in Benjamin Tooth's story, eager to see what happened next and how the Windvale Sprites came to be known.

Benjamin's diary takes plac
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
Nov 08, 2013 Michelle (Much Loved Books) rated it really liked it
While I have never read anything by Mackenzie before, I do know who he is so when I got the chance to reviewThe Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth I knew I had to see what it was about. The cover for this book is amazing in real life, and I love the detail of the little pictures taken from parts of the book.

Admittedly The Lost Journals of Benjamin Toothis suitable for a much younger age than I am, but I did enjoy reading. It was a quick, light read that had me laughing frequently.The Lost Journals
Emma
Nov 28, 2013 Emma rated it liked it
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Shelly

This is the diary of Benjamin Tooth aged 11 who feels that he is a misunderstood genius born before his time. Set in the late 1700’s we follow him on his journey to uncover the mystical sprites found on Windvale Moor and uncover his Great Grandfathers secret.
The way this is written as a journal was really interesting especially as we grow up with Benjamin. The writing at the start did take me awhile to get used to as it is a hybrid of childish writing with old fashioned language
Cherie
Jun 16, 2015 Cherie rated it it was ok
This story started out strong with a flavor of Oliver Twist. The last part ruins it. Once he received his inheritance the book turns macabre.

I'm not sure who the audience should be. It's written above the level of most children and pre-teens and includes a swear word or two. Kids that have a higher reading level will be bored out of their minds.

The book ends abruptly and doesn't reach a conclusion. I don't recommend this book to anyone.
Nils Andersson
Oct 30, 2015 Nils Andersson rated it really liked it
Benjamin Tooth - genius or complete dunderhead? If you want to know the answer, you should read this "lost" journal. It is an entertaining little book, good for a few laughs (especially in the first part) but it gets a bit dark towards the end. I enjoyed the book and would recommend it, even though the ending felt a bit abrupt.
Kathleen Dixon
I'm having a hard time thinking how to review this book. I probably shouldn't have read it right through (thereby making me feel obliged to write a review), but it's been my lunchtime reading at the bookshop and I"m not sure there's another one on our proof-copy shelf out the back that I want to read at the moment. Of course, I could have brought a book from home, but I simply haven't been organised enough.

I think, when it comes down to it, that it just doesn't appeal to my sense of humour - stu
Lynn Anne
Oct 15, 2015 Lynn Anne rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this book! Obviously, I'm in tune with MacKenzie Crook's humor. (Loved the tv show, The Dectectorists, as well.) Looking forward to reading The Windvale Sprites, and thinking through the clues in this book for the silver statuette.
Sally
Feb 17, 2016 Sally rated it really liked it
Very inventive but modern children might find the 18th-century attitudes to the study of natural history upsetting.
Carly
Nov 17, 2013 Carly rated it liked it
Shelves: for-review
A nice insight into the creatures talked about in the Windvale Sprites - I didn't enjoy it as much though. Review to come...
Vincent Ripley
Nov 20, 2013 Vincent Ripley rated it really liked it
Book review will be published first on http://www.mrripleysenchantedbooks.com/
Rachel Staines
Rachel Staines marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Darcie
Darcie rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Hana
Hana marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Giulia
Giulia added it
Mar 22, 2016
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2016
Kelly - Anne
Kelly - Anne marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Désirée
Désirée is currently reading it
Mar 06, 2016
EA
EA rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Rosie
Rosie rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 20, 2015
Janina
Janina marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Heather Fairfax
Heather Fairfax marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Ben Cooper
Ben Cooper rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Dakota
Dakota rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2016