Start by marking “The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth” as Want to Read:
The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth

The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth

My name is Benjamin Tooth. This is my journal.

One day I will be remembered as the greatest scientist that the world has ever known and so it is my duty to mankind to record my thoughts that future generations are able to study the progress of a genius.

I am eleven years old.

These are the recently discovered journals of Benjamin Tooth: alchemist, inventor and discoverer of t
Published November 7th 2013 by Faber Faber (first published November 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth

Veronica Zundel
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Disappointed in this, as I really like Mackenzie Crook both as an actor and a writer ('Detectorists'). In a sort of C18th set Adrian Mole, Benjamin Tooth is an unrecognized child genius scientist who discovers a family secret that could lead to a formula for eternal youth, but all his enterprises go wrong and the book ends with the loss of all his evidence. I found it mildly amusing but only laughed out loud once. Perhaps if I had been 11, the age of Benjamin and the presumed target readership, ...more
Sean Harding
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I guess to realising this was a companion book to another one and not having read the other book may have been detrimental to enjoying this book, but I'm not sure but for me the journals could have stayed lost and I would not have been dismayed, I just didn't get into it.
Alexandra
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Interesting but not that great. I mostly loved the 3rd part of the story.
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, for-review
The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth is a great book written by actor Mackenzie Crook, best known to me for his role in the Pirates of the Caribbean films. As always with books written by celebrities, I was dubious to read it, but in a big fan of the faerie family so decided to give it a whirl. I laughed out loud numerous times and found myself thoroughly engrossed in Benjamin Tooth's story, eager to see what happened next and how the Windvale Sprites came to be known.

Benjamin's diary takes plac
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
While I have never read anything by Mackenzie before, I do know who he is so when I got the chance to review The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth I knew I had to see what it was about. The cover for this book is amazing in real life, and I love the detail of the little pictures taken from parts of the book.

Admittedly The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth is suitable for a much younger age than I am, but I did enjoy reading. It was a quick, light read that had me laughing frequently. The Lost Journa
Josie
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-books
Received a free copy for review:

I read this during one afternoon as it was an easy read. I thought the book's premise was interesting, well executed mise en scene and good characters. I found Mr Tooth's description of his meals and his Horrible Mother's ailments quite hilarious. The mystery surrounding Mr Tooth's early life, as well as his promise to become a genius were a great beginning and the lyrical old fashioned writing really supported it.

By this point, I could see this story having gre
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
Feb 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Unfortunately, this book simply did not have the same magic touch that The Windvale Sprites had. It is due to this that it took me a while to get into this book. I was, admittedly, a little disappointed in this book and I fear that ruined some of the enjoyment I could have gotten from it. This book is the prequel to Windvale Sprites and tells the tale of how Benjamin Tooth found the fairies and their powers to stay alive for many, many years. It could very well have been just as light-hearted an ...more
Emma
Nov 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Shelly

This is the diary of Benjamin Tooth aged 11 who feels that he is a misunderstood genius born before his time. Set in the late 1700’s we follow him on his journey to uncover the mystical sprites found on Windvale Moor and uncover his Great Grandfathers secret.
The way this is written as a journal was really interesting especially as we grow up with Benjamin. The writing at the start did take me awhile to get used to as it is a hybrid of childish writing with old fashioned language
Becky
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a book my daughter chose when trying to resolve the buy one get half price offer in Waterstones! It seemed an intriguing read based on the cover...

So I have been reading from the journal every night at bedtime. It starts off ordinarily enough if based in the 18th century so some of the language etc is obviously old fashioned. Benjamin seems like an ordinary boy of his time with a fascination for nature and a desire to become a famous naturalist.

Things however never do go to plan in a st
Kathleen Dixon
I'm having a hard time thinking how to review this book. I probably shouldn't have read it right through (thereby making me feel obliged to write a review), but it's been my lunchtime reading at the bookshop and I"m not sure there's another one on our proof-copy shelf out the back that I want to read at the moment. Of course, I could have brought a book from home, but I simply haven't been organised enough.

I think, when it comes down to it, that it just doesn't appeal to my sense of humour - stu
Doyle
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
The first 2/3rds of this book were quirky enough to be enjoyable despite my lack of interest in the plot. However, this story just falls to pieces in the 3rd act, when the previously established characterization and light-hearted fun take a dark turn before abruptly ending in the final 2 pages of the book (with little wrapping-up or satisfactory conclusion). I feel like Mr. Crook's editors failed him when they let him end the book this way.

On a positive note, the illustrations are really, really
Cherie Jane Nef
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
This story started out strong with a flavor of Oliver Twist. The last part ruins it. Once he received his inheritance the book turns macabre.

I'm not sure who the audience should be. It's written above the level of most children and pre-teens and includes a swear word or two. Kids that have a higher reading level will be bored out of their minds.

The book ends abruptly and doesn't reach a conclusion. I don't recommend this book to anyone.
Nils Andersson
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Benjamin Tooth - genius or complete dunderhead? If you want to know the answer, you should read this "lost" journal. It is an entertaining little book, good for a few laughs (especially in the first part) but it gets a bit dark towards the end. I enjoyed the book and would recommend it, even though the ending felt a bit abrupt.
Lynn Anne
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this book! Obviously, I'm in tune with MacKenzie Crook's humor. (Loved the tv show, The Dectectorists, as well.) Looking forward to reading The Windvale Sprites, and thinking through the clues in this book for the silver statuette.
Carly
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-review
A nice insight into the creatures talked about in the Windvale Sprites - I didn't enjoy it as much though. Review to come...
Sally
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very inventive but modern children might find the 18th-century attitudes to the study of natural history upsetting.
Vincent Ripley
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Book review will be published first on http://www.mrripleysenchantedbooks.com/
Darren Hartwell