Start by marking “The Secret Desires of a Soccer Mom” as Want to Read:
The Secret Desires of a Soccer Mom

The Secret Desires of a Soccer Mom

3.23  ·  Rating details ·  537 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
“I felt fairly confident that I would take this information to my grave–even though it was the juiciest thing to happen in Aberdeen Mists in about eight years.”

Paige Atwell appears to have a fulfilling life in the cozy community of Aberdeen Mists–a nice house, a great husband, and two young kids. But behind the façade of neighborhood coffee klatches and carpools, Paige is
Published July 25th 2006 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Desires of a Soccer Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Desires of a Soccer Mom

Melissainau
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
You know those times when you get a book on the Kindle because it's free or really close to it, and you read it, and it's not so horrible that you stop and delete it and scream GET THEE HENCE O CRAPTACULAR BIG PILE OF RUBBISH but also it's not so good that you could actually say that you enjoyed it and the protagonist is so annoying and so astonishingly inept at, well, everything, and her husband is absent to the point that you almost hope he is having an affair because HOW COULD HD BD SO STUPID ...more
Julia
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I downloaded it to my kindle awhile ago, and had forgotten what it was about. It's a nice little story about suburban moms, that turns into a murder mystery. Yay! My kind of book. I liked the main character, Paige. Although I did think she was a little naive with Javier. Reading about her solving the mystery was fun. When the bad guy is revealed, it doesn't seem too "out there" like some murder mysteries. Paige seemed a little obsessed with solving her fr ...more
Kelly
Feb 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
It was free for kindle on amazon...and I know why. Enough said.
Rachel
Sep 14, 2012 added it
Shelves: set-aside
BORING! Couldn't even finish it I was so bored. :(
Jane
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dreadful title good book

After reading The Party, which was excellent, I wanted to read more by this author.

I avoided this one because the title put me off, but it ended up being pretty good.
Erika
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
No one was an actual soccer mom
Serena
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
La protagonista è adorabile, una pasticciona incredibile che porta a ridere spesso durante la lettura, nonostante si tratti di un giallo. Magari un po' scontata la conclusione, il colpevole è facilmente individuabile. Tutto sommato carino.
Laurel Osterkamp
Nov 04, 2007 rated it it was ok
Paige Atwell is a stay-at home mom living in a ritzy neighborhood in well-to-do suburb of Denver. Her youngest child has begun the first grade, so she now has entire days to herself, and is unsure of what to do with her time. One way she occupies herself is by having coffee with friends, who are also housewives from the same income-tax bracket.

One of them, Karen, confines in Paige by telling about an affair she is having with a Spanish barista named Javier. Karen insists she is in love with Jav
Bethany
Aug 31, 2007 rated it liked it
I've only watched the show "Desperate Housewives," a handful of times in the couple of years its been on tv. As I read this book, I found my mind comparing what I was reading to what I had seen on those few times I did chose to tune into that particular tv show. The story sort of has that feel to it.

The story is about Paige Atwell, our soccer mom. Paige lives in a suburb of Denver, with her husband and her two kids. Paige is content with things in her world, until one day, her friend Karen confi
Elaine
Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed this contemporary mystery.

Paige's friend tells her something in confidence and to Paige's dismay, it's now pretty much all she thinks about. It has her thinking how dull her own life is. Suddenly she's feeling somewhat unsatisfied. She comes up with an outline to make changes but things aren't working in her favor.

She finds her life less than dull after her friend is found dead in her garage. Unlike what the others think, Paige believes her death was no ac
Julie
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Paige and her four girlfriends, who also happen to be neighbors, have a long friendship behind them. One day, they get the news that one of their girlfriends, Karen, died in a freak accident, alone.

Paige decides to do some of her own investigation after Karen confided a dark secret to her only days before the accident. The local cops know that they have an open and shut case. Ruled: accident. Paige isn't so sure.

This book is a very easy read, but also very boring. Paige is an extremely self-in
Marta
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, mystery
This book isn't worth picking up because of the problems that Paige Atwell experiences. They are pretty run of the mill: her marriage needs spicing up and her kids misbehave. In the midst of her every day life, one of her neighbor buddies is murdered and Paige is determined to figure out what happened.
This sounds like a cozy mystery, but it is not for the conservative minded. It is the edgy humor,occasionally in the style of the movie The Bridesmaids, and Paige's zeal to fix her love life that g
Molly
Sep 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I found the story to be well paced and very funny. This book is about a somewhat bored suburban housewife and mother who is unable to accept that her friend died in a freak accident and begins to investigate the death on her own. This was a light, easy read; perfect for a quick weekend read. I found myself laughing out loud on many occasions and the suspense was enough that I didn't want to put it down.
Danielle Roser
It's funny to me that everyone has rated this book differently, some people 2 stars, some people 5! If you take this book for what it is, a fun 2 day read best enjoyed at the beach or something of that nature, not a piece of life changing literature, you'll love it. It made me laugh, and the end was not at all what I expected!
Lindsay
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
I do really like Robyn Harding's books. I liked the mystery component of this book, but I got really irritated with all of the children/family stuff. If there was ever a book to convince me that I do not ever want to have a son, this did it.

That said, I read this book primarily on a plane, and it kept me occupied.
Jennifer Foor
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So far this book is super funny and it touching on real life topics. I love the son and his obsession with bodily fluids...ha ha

This book made me laugh and being that I am in the soccer mom cliche I really enjoyed it. The kids were so funny to me and I could relate to the ridiculousness of it all.

The story and the mystery were also great, just in case you were wondering :)
Paige
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
I didn't hate this book but I far from loved it. I found the narrator annoying and not endearing at all plus she was just.....silly. There was a lot of unnecessary scenes in there and I felt it dragged in some places especially the end. I normally enjoy cozies and chick lit murder mysteries but this one was not a favorite.
Daniela H
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
I had started reading this book because it was a free book through the kindle lending library. This book read like an episode of Desperate Housewives. It was your typical soap opera story. Some parts had me laughing because the main chatacter's inner thoughts were quite comical. But overall it was just ok.
Lisa Godina
For me I found this book's pace to be a little slow. I did enjoy the premise of the book where a friend of the main character dies of a fall but Paige (main character) feels that it was no accident. Educated with many episodes of CSI she is driven to solve the murder when the police seem to be dragging their feet.
Andie
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This was the perfect vacation book. It was silly, I did want to find out what happened (although the ending was hardly a surprise) and it was light. I found the main character, and most of her friends, very unlikable, but the writing was funny in a sly way and it was something that didn't take a lot of concentration.
Nicole
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious!! Totally made me laugh out loud several times. I could totally see myself in some of the main characters scenes. Pure fun and entertainment with a little mystery and a little romance worked into it. This was a Kindle read, either free or low cost.
Isabel
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I got this book free from Amazon. I thought it was entertaining—a good book to read when you want a few laughs but don't want to think too hard about the plot because the plot was predictable. Fun read all the same.
Terri
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Started out interesting and then the main charachter got somewhat annoying. Story line seemed to drag on and take too many unexpected turns... I knew who the murderer was the chapter after it happened yet that was only the 1/2 way point of the book.
Maria Oropallo
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not so much a clever mystery novel as a clever comment on modern day suburbia. Fast read, good writing, mystery OK. Once or twice I felt I was reading a script for "Desperate Housewives" but by the next page it was back to a good novel.
Melissa
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book has a little of everything. Lust, love, murder, and friendship.
Trista Priest
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
review to come
Kristy
Sep 10, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: everybody!
I loved this book! It's about friendship, the hilarious things kids do and say, a mystery... I couldn't stop reading it - and I was laughing out loud!!
Mandy
Jan 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Cute book for the stay at home mom :)
Eliza
Jul 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty predictable but I laughed a lot more than I expected to. Great quick weekend read for the summer!
Ann Mulholland
Oct 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
really not sure why I finished this book, it just wasn't very good. in fact, it was annoying
The Free Book Cha...: The Secret Desires of a Soccer Mom 1 12 Mar 12, 2014 06:58PM
  • The Temporary Detective (Isobel Spice #1)
  • Single & Searching
  • Nipped in the Bud
  • Mr Right and Other Mongrels
  • Death of a Lovable Geek (Dotsy Lamb, #2)
  • At Large (Josephine Fuller, #3)
  • The Commission (Sam Kincaid, #1)
  • The Huntress
  • The Love Market
  • Mad Money
  • The Do-Over
  • Small Kindnesses
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
Robyn Harding is the author of several books and has written and executive produced an independent film. She lives in Vancouver, BC with her husband and two children.

To learn more about Robyn's books visit: http://www.robynharding.com. Or follow her on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorRobynH...

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington #1)
  • Heart-Shaped Box
    $11.99 $2.99
  • 15 Seconds
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2)
  • The Night Gardener
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Southern Storm (Cape Refuge Series, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Head In The Sand (DI Nick Dixon #2)
  • The Lake House
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Pandemic (The Extinction Files #1)
    $4.99 $2.49