Start by marking “The Prophet” as Want to Read:
The Prophet

The Prophet

Michael Koryta, long hailed as one of the best young thriller writers at work today, has written his greatest novel ever - an emotionally harrowing, unstoppably suspenseful novel that proves why Michael Connelly has named him "one of the best of the best."

Adam Austin hasn't spoken to his brother in years. When they were teenagers, their sister was abducted and murdered, an
Published August 7th 2012 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2012)

Start your review of The Prophet
Dan Schwent
The Austin brothers haven't spoken in years, not since high school when their sister was abducted and murdered when one of them should have been driving her home. Now, Kent is a football coach and Adam is a hard-drinking bail bondsman. When Adam unwittingly sends another girl to her doom, the two brothers must work together to find her killer...

Holy. Shit. This was one hell of a book.

The Prophet, while appearing initially to be a crime book, is really about what happens to families after a trage
Kemper
This story is kinda like if Coach Eric Taylor on Friday Night Lights and Nick Stefanos from the crime novels by George Pellecanos were brothers who had been pulled apart by a family tragedy and now faced a killer.

Actually, I’m just being glib and that’s not doing justice to this book. Let’s start over:

In 1989, Adam Austin was a high school football star and his younger brother Kent looked to follow in his footsteps. As their team was in the middle of a season that would culminate in a state cha
Kay*FindMeInThePages*
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
*Contains spoilers*

I have been on a Michael Koryta reading spree lately. While I really liked all his books that I've read, The Prophet is my (new) favorite. The murder of their sister while they were all young shaped the lives of her two surviving brothers sending them on two totally different life paths. Years later a death of another young girl bring them together again. While the brothers are complete opposites in beliefs their characters are so well developed you understand and sympathize w
Barbara
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Adam and Kent Austin are estranged brothers, both still reeling from the murder of their young sister when they were teenagers. Adam feels especially guilty because on the night of his sister's murder he blew off driving her home to be with his girl.

Adam is now a bail bondsman and Kent is coach of the high school football team. The football team is on track to a state championship when the girlfriend of a star player is murdered.

Adam feels compelled to investigate the crime and finds disturbin
J.K. Grice
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Another great suspense novel from the brilliant mind of Michael Koryta.
Brandon
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brandon by: Dan Schwent
Shelves: 2015, fiction, favorites
I’ve always been a fan of football movies. Which is strange considering I don’t particularly care much for the sport itself. Watching it live, I find it slow, boring and I only vaguely understand the rules enough to get by. However, if told right and paced correctly in a story, there’s a special sort of high drama that goes hand in hand with the sport.

Michael Koryta uses an infinitely talented and well disciplined high school football team chasing the state championship as a backdrop for a story
Jim
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent thriller from Koryta & well read. It was quite a bit longer than I expected. Could have ended at the end of part 3, about the 3/4 mark, but continued on. I usually don't like that, but there were threads that needed resolution & it was a great one.

The characters might have spent a bit too much time thinking, but they were well & clearly drawn from kids to adults. There was plenty of action & it all made sense. Quite horrifying at times & every parent will have to empathize with
Bill
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Prophet popped onto my radar rather suddenly, and just as suddenly I was reading it. It seemed just the thing I was looking for.

It didn't disappoint. In fact, it's one of the better books I read this year. And this is something to celebrate, looking back on a year that tragically boasted 12 DNFs.

This is the story of a football town, and the disappearance of a young girl. The focus is on two brothers, Kent Austin, the coach of the high school football team with a State championship in sight,
Jon Recluse
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
A compelling thriller concerning two estranged brothers who have taken different paths to deal with a shared personal tragedy....forced to come together when a young girl is murdered by someone out to test their limits.
Koryta nails the personalities of the brothers, their troubled relationship, and how they deal with personal loss flawlessly. And keeps the suspense on high burn, creating a thriller that will keep you guessing....with an ending that strikes hard and true.

Highly recommended thril
Lou
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller, arc
Check out my interview with Michael Koryta in August 2012 >>http://more2read.com/review/interview-with-michael-koryta/

Kent Austin a coach of a football team and is brother Adam Austin, a bail bondsman, are two main characters from this story.
Coach is a family man who walks with prayers in mind and hopes he has conquered vengeance with forgiveness and offered redemption for the guilty.
Their kin had been murdered in the past and a recent murder with possible links to people near him, bring the pas
Patricia Williams
This is an excellent book. I already like this author but this book is his shining star IMO. I went to bed reading it last night and woke up reading it this morning, untl I was finished. One of the things I enjoyed about the book was: in some books you can never figure out where the title came from, but in this book, you saw over and over again where the title could come from. I really like that. I saw myself that to me this book has three stories.

The first story is the psychological thriller w
 Reading Reindeer Cobwebbed
36 stars!

Review of The Prophet by Michael Koryta

Publication date August 7, 2012

I had hoped this would be one of my favourite author’s stunning Supernatural thrillers (this is what happens when one doesn’t read the blurb LOL). It isn’t-but it is a stunner nonetheless. As far as I am concerned (and I believe I’ve read all his books to date), author Michael Koryta cannot write an imperfect book. Yet in “The Prophet” he has gone above and beyond even his usual perfection, and written a book so deep
Gatorman
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read from Koryta, who does crime fiction much better than supernatural. The writing is top notch and the charecterizations are spot-on. The troubled relationship between brothers Adam and Kent is well-played and the football background is blended in nicely without overwhelming the main storyline. The ending is powerful and satisfying. Very highly recommended.
Sandi
I really like Michael Koryta's recent novels. So Cold the River, The Ridge, and The Cypress House were all really good mysteries with a supernatural twist. They were suspenseful without really being gory enough or scary enough to fall into the horror category. I also really liked the first of the Lincoln Perry mystery series, Tonight I Said Goodbye. It was a tightly crafted detective novel that kept me guessing.

Because his last three novels were supernatural suspense, I was expecting this novel
Mark
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of thrillers and American football
Recommended to Mark by: Susanne Leist
Well this book was mostly about a football coach and his brother, they lost their sister to a murder, and the story tells how they both coped with this loss in their lives.
When another young girl loses her life in a horrific way when one is a successful American football coach and the other one a bailsman it will change their lives again and set them on a course that unites them again in a way.

And that was the thriller bit and the rest is about the game of American football. While a writer like
Alecia
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Way too much football in this book, both literally and (perhaps?) as a metaphor. Not a big fan of the game, so there were many pages of boredom and skimming of excrutiating (to me) high school football game details. Kent Austin, one of two brothers who are the novel's protagonists, is a beloved high school footbal coach. He and his brother Adam have not spoken in years, since their sister was abducted and murdered. Adam is a bail bondsman, struggling with overwhelming guilt and remorse relating ...more
Jason
3 Stars

Michael Koryta is one of my favorite authors writing today. His books are creative and unique in that they often combine the everyday with a touch of the supernatural. His environments and his locations are characters in themselves, giving the books life and imagination. The Ridge and The Cypress House are two of my favorite reads of his that I recommended to my family and my friends. In this book, The Prophet, Koryta steers his tale in a direction of the main stream. This is his most acc
Diane S ☔
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A small town in Ohio, once the home of steel, now dying, population decreasing and a very good high school football team that means much to the people who haven't left. Two brother, taking different paths after the murder of their sister and someone who wants to test one of the brothers faith. Another winner by Koryta, a thriller that explores the concepts of revenge and redemption, faith and acceptance. It is also a novel about what family means, that despite differences there may be times when ...more
George Lichman
Michael Koryta's ninth book, The Prophet, is scheduled for release on August 7, 2012. After three paranormal thrillers, The Prophet is a return to Mr. Koryta's roots: a mystery set in northeast Ohio. Since I am a fan of mysteries, a fan of Mr. Koryta, and a northeast Ohioan, I was excited to get my hands on a copy of this thriller. And I was not disappointed. On page five, still part of the prologue, I knew I was hooked after reading this, a glimpse inside the mind of the as of yet unknown anta ...more
Mary Gramlich
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At some point we all answer for what we have done

Brothers Adam and Kent have lived through the worst that any person could imagine a murdered family member. Each had made a decision the night their sister Marie was abducted and murdered to be consumed with their own teenage lives and shirk the responsibility of taking care of their sister. The brothers grew up and moved on to other adult lives with Kent coaching their hometown team and trying to save the world through religion. Adam became a ba
Kelly Hager
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adam and Kent are brothers, but couldn't be more different. They haven't been close in years, probably ever since their sister Marie was murdered. Kent is a high school football coach and Adam is a bail bondsman and occasional private detective.

One of Kent's players' girlfriends goes to Adam to help find her father. He tracks him down and gives her the address. When the girl is later found murdered, Adam vows to find him and kill him. In his mind, it's all wrapped up with his sister's death...to
Nicholas Sparks
Michael Kortya is a masterful storyteller, and he has written another gripping thriller about two brothers searching for a murderer in a football-loving town. You won’t want to put it down.
Morgan Mussell
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Half the storefronts are empty in Chambers, Ohio. Abandoned steel mills stand as silent monuments to a past that will never return. Two brothers, Kent and Adam Austin, work in two of the biggest industries that remain in the town - high school football and bail bonds. Their careers, like most everything else in their lives, were defined the night someone kidnapped and murdered their sister when the three of them were in high school.

The brothers have hardly spoken during the 22 years since their
Elizabeth
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: escape-reading
When I started this, I thought I was in for a Raymond Chandleresque treat, complete with hard-boiled detective, savvy resigned beautiful secretary, innocent but evasive young girl, etc. etc.

And then it turned into a football novel. I'm not a big fan of football. It's violent and the game seems to be comprised of people in helmets lining up, shouting a few words then crashing into each other, piling up on top of whomever has the ball until the whistle blows. Then they stand up in virtually the s
Meg
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! Adam and Kent Austin lost their sister when she was brutally murdered at age 16. Years later the brothers still live in their hometown: Adam is a bail bondsman, Kent the high school football coach. When another teenage girl is murdered the ghosts of their past collide with a present day horror.

Great characters and a story full of twists make this a great book. The book came recommended by one of my favourite authors - Dennis Lehane - and it put me in mind of his sharp and gritty style
Karl
Dec 28, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This copy is marked PC of 598 copies signed by Michael Koryta.
Charlotte Guzman
I love this author and have read 2 other of his books.
A mystery and a story of brotherly / family conflict and a coming to terms with the past.
I loved these characters and I felt like I was in the middle of the conflict and danger. A tear or two was shed with this story and its bittersweet end.
This author is highly recommended.
My past reads of his have been "So Cold the River" and "The Cypress House".
Rade
This book was overall a fast read. It has some relatively interesting characters and the interaction, while short most of the time, was propelling the story forward.

One thing that I did not like that made me rate this book three stars instead of four is all the football chapters. At times it went on for pages, describing play by play of a game or recalling a video of another team and how they should go about compensating for their weakness while holding on to their strength.

Another thing that
Janice
This came very close to 5 stars.
Rbucci
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. It didn’t end the way I hoped, but the ending allowed for the other characters to grow and become who they should be. I was surprised at who the bad guy was, too. I love being fooled. Great writing. I would highly recommend.

• Sinister Heights (Amos Walker, #15)
  • Poison Blonde (Amos Walker, #16)
  • A Tap on the Window
  • Revenge
  • Bubbles Unbound (Bubbles Yablonsky, #1)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • Then She Vanished (Roland Ford #4)
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3)
  • Never Street (Amos Walker, #11)
  • Labyrinth of Ice: The Triumphant and Tragic Greely Polar Expedition
  • Retro (Amos Walker, #17)
  • Trust Your Eyes
  • A Perfect Eye
  • Untitled #17
  • Slow Dollar (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #9)
  • Badlands (Highway Quartet #3)
  • The Way Some People Die
  • Anna From Away
Michael Koryta (pronounced Ko-ree-ta) is the New York Times-bestselling author of 14 suspense novels. His work has been praised by Stephen King, Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Dean Koontz, James Patterson, Dennis Lehane, Daniel Woodrell, Ron Rash, and Scott Smith among many others, and has been translated into more than 20 languages. His books have won or been nominated for the Los Angeles Times Boo ...more