Start by marking “The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)

The Goose Girl

(The Books of Bayern #1)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  106,479 ratings  ·  9,459 reviews
Published May 1st 2005 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published August 8th 2003)

·  106,479 ratings  ·  9,459 reviews

Chanelle
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chanelle by: Kari
What a sweet story, it's one you can transport yourself into another world where things like communicating with animals and controlling the wind seem entirely feasible. The characters are really likeable (esp. Geric- I don't think there was enough of him. Every word he said would make a girl smile) I'm classifying this book as strong female because I loved the fact that when Geric wrote Ani off, she was upset and angry, but her world did not collapse (contrast that to Bella in New Moon who did n ...more
Sara ♥
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA Lovers, People who like fairy tale retellings
December 21-22, 2015

This book is sooooo fantastic! I love it!

June 17-19, 2014

I freaking love this book!!!

December 24, 2010 - January 2, 2011

Not sure what else to say about this book beyond, "Wow! It's awesome!". I mean, I've read it SEVERAL times now and just bought it for my sister-in-law for Christmas... I love it!

March 9-10, 2010

Errr... ditto to what I said before. And now I'm REALLY excited to read Enna Burning just as soon as it gets here through ILL!!

April 3, 2009

In an Austin Powers voice:
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
I've always loved fairy tale novelizations, and The Goose Girl is right up at the top for me. It absolutely pushes all of the right buttons for me - one of those books that I love beyond reason. It's a lovely adaptation of the old Goose Girl fairy tale.

Anidori (insert several additional royal names here) Isilee is a shy, quiet crown princess of her kingdom, Kildenree. The Queen, her capable and no-nonsense mother, doesn't understand or appreciate Ani, but Ani finds solace in her relationship wi
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern #1), Shannon Hale
Anidora-Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kildenree spent the first years of her life listening to her aunt's incredible stories, and learning the language of the birds. Little knowing how valuable her aunt's strange knowledge would prove to be when she grew older. From the Grimm's fairy tale of the princess who became a goose girl before she could become a queen, Shannon Hale has woven an incredible, original and magical tale of a gi
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rachel Reads Ravenously by: Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
4 stars!

Ani is a young princess with a unique gift, she can speak animal languages. From a very young age she learned to speak to the swan’s in the pond and forged a beautiful connection with a horse foul, Falada. When her father, the king, dies, Ani learns from her mother that she is to be sent off to a neighboring kingdom to be wed to their prince.

Along the journey, Ani’s handmaid Selia leads a coup and gets half of Ani’s soldiers to turn against her. Ani flees for her life, and when she fi
Tyler
Aug 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tyler by: Meg
Wow, is all I can say, just plain old flat out wow. You expect this to be some sort of, princess fairy tale, in a sense it is just give it a little bit of action and suspense and there you go, The Goose Girl, It goes in a direction you totally don't expect, all of a sudden Ani the little naive princess is suddenly on the run from the scary warriors!
The ending doesn't disappoint there's even a battle, who'd expect that from a Princess Fairytale?
I really liked how it kind of kept you on your toes
Fables&Wren
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WrensReads Review:

Come with me to a magical world of Bayern. Where the elements have speech and animals form spoken bonds with a single person.

If I EVER lived in one of the worlds I have read about, I would live in this world that Shannon Hale has created.

I always say that if I had a super power, I would have power over the elements (water, air, fire, earth). The world that Hale has created has that, and more.

Imagine a world where you could learn the speech of different animals. You can communic
Trina (Between Chapters)
I found this confusing to get into because there are many different characters that come and go quickly. Some elements to the story that it lingered on never really seemed to serve much purpose. The audiobook production was amazing though - a full cast and sound effects - and that kept me going.

I really enjoyed how Ani was able to sit with the hand she'd been dealt. She found joys in where she was and bade her time. She wasn't consumed with revenge or sorrow, but in the end she knew how to step
Irene Sim
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This isn't a romance book and it isn't a "singing-in-the-rain" or "the-sound-of-music" fairytale.
It is about a young girl who've been told all her life that she was a failure, that she couldn't claim her rightfull place, that she was found lacking basic endowments and was kept apart from her siblings in order not to infect them with her "witchcraft".

But Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kildenree knew her place in the world and even though her family let her down, she accepted
Amelia
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the second half of this book. I can't say the same thing for the first half.

While reading the first half I felt very bored. I wasn't engaged with the story and honestly thought about dnfing it... but I am glad I did not to that.

I do have another problem. I had so much trouble believing that the characters just somehow believed that Ani was who she said she was. Like when she told Enna who she really was Enna didn't doubt her, she instantly believed her, and the same can be sai
Zoe Stewart (yerabooknerdzoe)
4.5/5

I really enjoyed this book! I'm not sure what it was, but there was something missing that just held me back from five stars. It read more like a fairytale than a retelling, which I am not mad about. The ending felt kind of like a Disney movie, in that it wrapped up almost a little too perfectly. I'm looking forward to reading Enna Burning!
Beth
Nov 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Goose Girl is an adaptation of the Grimm fairy tale by the same name — which I had never heard of before reading this book. I guess if Disney hasn’t already adapted it, I’m more or less clueless when it comes to fairy tales. ;-)

That comes in handy, though, when reading a new story — I figured that Princess Anidori-Kiladra (a.k.a. Ani; a.k.a. Isi, the Goose Girl; a.k.a. the Yellow Lady … there’s a lot about disguise and identity in this story, if you can’t tell) would live happily ever after
Lucy
Oct 18, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: adolescent girls and women who don't mind remembering what it's like to be an adolescent girl
Poor Shannon Hale. I think the most frequent comment I've heard about her as an author is, "She's LDS and like Stephenie Meyer, doesn't write LDS fiction."

I'm not sure it was a good enough reason to check out her book, Goose Girl, but I did it anyway. My sister, Jen, liked this book and that was one more reason, but a good enough one for me.

It was a nice break from some of the meatier stuff I've been reading. It's not meatless, exactly, but written as a fairy tale in the voice of a young prince
Flannery
At first, I was only mildly interested in what was going on in this retelling of a classic fairy tale. However, once the action got started, I really enjoyed listening. The cast was perfect--voices, ages, gender; every voice seemed correct. I think this was/is especially true in terms of the emotional aspects of the characters--I could totally hear it in their voices, which was refreshing.

In terms of the story, I really enjoyed the character of Geric. His relationship with Ani, especially when s
Sanaa
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[5.0 Stars] Original Rating

[4.5 Stars] Re-Read 2016
I still absolutely adore this book, but I confess Ani/Isi really annoyed me the first 50 pages or so. For those reasons this re-read gets knocked down half a star. My original rating still stands though. This book is a favorite of mine because of how simple, magical, and heartwarming it is. Can't wait to re-read Enna Burning!
Sesika
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Super fun read. Incredible imagination that was clear and easy to read. Very likeable characters that made the books that followed interesting and appealing.
Kathryn
I really feel like I am missing something--or, at least, whatever the agents, editors, and legions of Shannon Hale fans found so fabulous about this debut novel that launched her successful career, including two sequels to this book. Given all the fanfare about Hale, I was sorely disappointed in this novel. The premise is interesting, and the opening chapters are breathtaking. No doubt about it, Hale can write some gorgeous prose, and the story sparkled with possibilities. However, the character ...more
Katie Grace
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love this book just as much on my third reread. <3
Jordan Harvey
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you'd like to see my full thoughts, you can check out my video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcr2X...
This book is pure magic. The writing is poetic and romantic and beautiful. The plot is faithful to the fairytale that it's retelling, but it brings new and exciting things to the table. The fantasy elements are understated but really enhance the story, and the characters, oh the characters, are spectacular.
C.B. Cook
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got this book at Half-Price Books the other day, only because I remembered to bring the list I made of authors and books I needed to look for. *applauds self* Only happens once in a blue moon. Next time I go, I will be picking up any of the Books of Bayern that I see, even if it's number four. Normally when I read series, I'll buy book one, read, book two, read, book three, read, etc. But I can't risk letting these slip away, and possibly buying book two and NOT HAVING BOOK THREE!!! Which is a ...more
seak
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This wasn't my typical fare, but I have a friend who loved it and it came highly recommended. She wasn't wrong. The stars I gave it show I liked it, I feel like some people mistake a 3 star rating for disliking a book, but that's ridiculous in my opinion. I'll leave it there.

Anyway, I really thought this was a fun and exciting story. The tension was palpable in parts and had me glued to the ... earbuds. It's a clever and fun take on an old tale (apparently, it was new to me). It's full of great
Susan
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-mf-read
I really liked this fairytale retelling. We have a princess in dire need, we have a handsome prince, an evil lady-in-waiting who wants to be princess, and we have some magic.

This had such a magical feel to it, which is why I love fairytales. It was also pretty grueling at times (like in real fairytales, where I’m shocked when reading to my 4 year old that so many people are maimed, beaten, hanged, etc.). But despite all the awful things happening to Ani, she remained quite upbeat and was still w
Belinda
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
- 4,25 stars - English paperback - I have dyslexia -
Note in notebook : retell of this story of the Goose girl by Grimm. The girl who learns the language of the birds from her aunt. Fairy tale retold. 🌹😁😀🌺
Ronyell
Goose

“The Goose Girl” is another brilliant story created by Shannon Hale, who is well known for her first graphic novel book “Rapunzel’s Revenge” and it is a much more extended retelling of the classic Brothers Grimm tale “The Goose Girl” (same title!) that tells the story of how Ani, the true crown princess of Kildenree, is betrayed by her lady-in-waiting and Ani must figure out a way to regain her true name while posing as a goose girl. “The Goose Girl” is a truly an inspiring story that anyone who
Cassie
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairytale, ya-fantasy
Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee was born the Crown Princess of Kildenree, but her mother didn’t feel she was fit to rule and instead arranged a marriage with a neighboring kingdom, passing the title on to Ani’s brother. Ani was always a strange child, she didn’t open her eyes for the first three days after her birth, and her aunt taught her to speak with birds. It’s no wonder her mother didn’t feel that someone who could be considered a witch should sit on the throne. So off Ani goes with her La ...more
Umm.Itz.Jewel
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was........THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!!Great plot kept me on the edge of my seat 💺 No swearing,sex,and a little violence but no gore just mentioned. Love it 😍 READ IT NOW IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amy
2019 Review
I mean, it wasn't bad.
It was just really, really slow. Clearly, as my earlier review shows, I loved this book and I will preserve the original rating for the sake of my high school self. I still found the romance sweet and lovely (if somewhat less developed than I remembered) and the villain thoroughly evil.
For the most part, though, I just kept waiting for more to happen.
Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for this re-read, but also maybe I need to start shuffling books off my fa
Ann
I think this is going to be a very difficult review to write. I did enjoy the book - in parts - but overall I was underwhelmed and left feeling that the book could have been so much better.

At times, Hale's writing was very poetic, painting a vibrant picture in her unique and fluid style. At other times, it felt redundant, and time was spent on unimportant descriptions.

I liked the characters, but wanted more from them. I liked the plot, but felt all "the good stuff" was never explored. I felt as
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fairy tale fantasy novel full of imagination and creativity, The Goose Girl could easily fit in with Brother Grimm's or Hans Christian Anderson's work. With a wonderful main character and vibrantly-described settings, it's a book no reader will ever forget.
Alexandra Bracken
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is impossibly sweet and wonderful. I'm only sorry it took me so long to read it!
UCAS English 11 R...: November Reding Assignment 2 2 Dec 04, 2018 06:43PM
Hoyt's Huns: The Goose Girl -- June 2018 -- spoilers allowed 3 8 Jun 29, 2018 08:44PM
Hoyt's Huns: The Goose Girl -- June 2018 -- spoiler free 3 6 Jun 29, 2018 06:57AM
Blazing Readers &...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Goose Girl: Before Reading 12 12 May 23, 2018 12:17PM
Blazing Readers &...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Goose Girl: After Reading 14 6 May 21, 2018 03:39PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
  • Once Upon a Curse
  • Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast
  • The Amaranth Enchantment
  • Fairest
  • Once Upon a Marigold (Upon a Marigold, #1)
  • Cybele's Secret (Wildwood, #2)
  • The Hollow Kingdom (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #1)
  • A Posse of Princesses
Shannon Hale is the New York Times best-selling author of six young adult novels: the Newbery Honor book Princess Academy, multiple award winner Book of a Thousand Days, and the highly acclaimed Books of Bayern series. She has written three books for adults, including the upcoming Midnight in Austenland (Jan. 2012), companion book to Austenland. She co-wrote the hit graphic novel Rapunzel's Reveng ...more

The Books of Bayern (4 books)
  • Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)
  • River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3)
  • Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)
“Right now I'd like all my troubles to stand in front of me in a straight line, and one by one I'd give each a black eye. ” 1025 likes
“... If we don't tell strange stories, when something strange happens we won't believe it.” 444 likes