Start by marking “Tiny Islands” as Want to Read:
Tiny Islands

Tiny Islands

From the tiny island that shaped the entire English language, to the island that terrified Dylan Thomas, there's more to Britain's tiny islands than you might think! Have your own tiny adventure by visiting any of the 60 remarkable little islands around Britain featured here. Although Britain boasts hundreds of tiny islands, Dixe Wills has selected just the very best of th ...more
Published May 1st 2013 by AA Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Tiny Islands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tiny Islands

Ellen
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book. So well written and illustrated, also with photos to drool over. He has such a fabulous way with words that keeps you reading. I savoured every island as if I might one day visit them all.
Adam Fitzroy
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've rated this book with five stars because of the useful information it contains, but in reality it's more like 4.5 or 4.75 because it certainly isn't perfect. For one thing, all the travel information assumes that you are using public transport, walking or cycling - a nice idea, indeed a pious hope, but a significant portion of readers will be travelling by car and it might have been nice to be told where there was parking available and so forth.

Also, at some point in the past, someone has p
Paul
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
As an island nation we have always had an affinity with little places surrounded by water. These isles have in excess of 6,200 islands, 803 of which are significant enough to appear on maps.

Wills has visited 60 of them for this book, and for each island is a lovely hand drawn map, photos and details of how to get there, where to stay and other usefully information. Also for each island he has written a little potted history, some interesting anecdotes and an overview of his visit there.

It is a f
Ali
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this very much. Occasionally the author thinks himself too funny (more often, he is funny) but loved the not-limited-to-car-drivers route instructions and just found it all fascinating.
Sarahjoy Maddeaux
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It was a present from a friend, and I thought it looked ideal to dip into, perhaps when planning a trip, perhaps for inspiration for a trip, or perhaps just to dream of a trip. I ended up reading it cover to cover because it was just that readable.

The book is full of all the necessary useful information you would need to visit each island; interesting anecdotes about the place; and highlights that really make you want to include it on your bucket list, all written with a sense
Andy Bryant
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Apart from the rather laboured humour and a bizarre determination to completely ignore the fact cars ever existed and offer directions as some kind of Treasure Hunt quest over sea, tracks and trails ("It's a largely flat 21 mile cycle ride to Ulva Ferry"), this is an enjoyable guide to some of the tiny, lesser known islands around Britain. If you're a islophile (got that word from Robert McFarlane) this book should be right up your street.
Frances Kent
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely little book about some very unusual islands around our coast. Definitely a few there that I want to visit now!
Helen
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Got this as a guide to some of the islands I was hoping to visit whilst on holiday and also to just learn a bit more about the islands around Britain in general really as I always love exploring the coast.

This book does not cover all the islands unfortunately. I was hoping for a bit about Lundy Island but unfortunately Dixie Wills left it out because he does not class it as "tiny". Having said this, Wills brings his 60 favourites to life with lots of intriguing facts, illustrations and photogra
Stephen Dawson
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015
The bitesize format makes for a very bitty read, and though there is much that is of interest and his humour shines through in places, it feels very scattergun, but nevertheless may provide some inspiration and information for future visits to some of the islands featured.

Not a patch on his Tiny Stations which is a great read.
Katharina
Tom
rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Assuming for a moment that we are what we do, I’m an author and freelance non-flying travel journalist. I’ve written a number of genre-bending books and one or two that give librarians fewer dilemmas. My most recent work is Tiny Stations (AA) which is a journey through the penumbric world of Britain’s railway request stops. Prior to Tiny Stations, I penned Tiny Islands (AA) and Tiny Campsites (Pun ...more