Start by marking “Writers Workshop of Science Fiction & Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Writers Workshop of Science Fiction & Fantasy

Writers Workshop of Science Fiction & Fantasy

Writers Workshop of Science Fiction and Fantasy is a collection of essays and interviews by and with many of the movers-and-shakers in the industry. Each contributor covers the specific element of craft he or she excels in. Expect to find varying perspectives and viewpoints, which is why you many find differing opinions on any particular subject.

This is, after all, a colle
Published April 18th 2013 by Seventh Star Press (first published February 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Writers Workshop of Science Fiction & Fantasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writers Workshop of Science Fiction & Fantasy

David
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clearly, though not as good as Writers Workshop of Horror, by the end I did feel as though I did get a few fresh insights from some of the essays in this collection. In particular, I enjoyed Neil Geiman’s piece on where ideas come from—which was also very entertaining—plus the interviews with the late Ursula Le Guin and Tim Powers were enlightening. I also really enjoyed Jackie Gamber’s interview with Ann VanderMeer on weird fiction. The rest of the book, however, gave me few new insights into t ...more
Sharon
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was fascinating to get a peek into the minds of some of the big names in the genre. I wasn't familiar with many of the authors because I haven't done extensive reading in the sci-fi/fantasy genre but every one of the essays was impressive and easy to become engaged in. Michael Knost obviously knows what he is doing. Don't let the title fool you, this book is for writers and readers of any genre. I am not a writer so I can't tell you how useful this book would be for one, bu ...more
Cynthia
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a pretty eclectic anthology. Some of the famous authors get weird topics, such as Neil Gaiman on how he gets his ideas (always a bad subject, as he pretty much says in this essay). Some of the essays are very specific to SF, while others deal with writing in general (Joe Haldeman on Hemingway's writing tips).

I'm new to SFF and am trying to write a fantasy novel. This book gave me plenty ideas about style, readers, and the business. And it gave me a better grasp of the genre. On the whole
Elizabeth Lang
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.

What if you could ask Neil Gaiman where he gets his ideas from? What if Orson Scott Card gave you his insights on developing voice and style? Imagine picking Elizabeth Bear's brain on the joys and intricacies of world building?

"The only thing an author can always depend upon is craft. Craft doesn't always enable the author to scale mountains. That depends on the author's talent and inspiration and dedication. But craft is like th
Amanda Hard
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I bought the print edition of this book and decided as I was reading it, I would jot down a few notes on subjects the book addressed. I figured I would get a lot of anecdotes and maybe a little industry inside info, so I wasn't expecting much. By the time I'd finished the book, I had over 22 pages of notes on the actual CRAFT of writing. Hands down this was one of the best books I've bought for learning how to actually "write."

"Workshop" books like these tend to feature authors talking about wha
John  Hill
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've read a couple of "how-to" write books before-in fact I'm reading one right now-but most of them I did not burn through as quickly as I did this anthology.

Rather than give tired and trope advice and "writing exercises", this book simply asks authors and editors how they do what they do.

Sure, it's technically a "how-to" book, but I read this as more a collection of Essays on writing by authors. And authors we have heard of too. Often the names included in these types of books are names that
Rusty
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prose, non-fiction
I was placing this book on my shelf and saw that it was the 13th book I've read on the subject of 'how to write' sort of stuff. At this point, I'm getting the feeling that I've about covered all the most obvious stuff, some are about story, others about inspiration, some about dialog, grammar, editing, you get the idea. This book was a collection of essays on all of that stuff from sci-fi and fantasy authors.

It's a a collection of essays that are, I believe, all available elsewhere if someone i
Christina M Condy
This type of book is extremely hard to review. First we have a number of authors contributing to the book. Then add to that the type of book and it makes it very hard to give a review. But I will do my best.

This book has several interviews from the authors listed above. It gives some relatively clear cut thoughts on where they get their ideas from, or what the best way to build a world is.

It is basically an advice book for want to be authors. As an up and coming (hopefully soon) author I was re
Rebecca Graf
May 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Okay, when I got this book to review, I had anticipated a lot of info that I could work with and practice. I have to say that I was very disappointed.

Just from the title, Writers Workshop of Science Fiction and Fantasy, I had expected to find lessons and worksheets to use. I had hoped to see tables and charts and all sorts of info I could apply. I found that this was not what the title had led me to believe. It was a collection of essays from various science fiction and fantasy writers talking a
Jaidis Shaw
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Featuring several articles and interviews from various authors, I was interested in reading Writers Workshop of Science Fiction and Fantasy because I thought it would be neat to see what the authors had to say about their writing habits and techniques. I don’t typically read a lot in the science fiction genre but I do enjoy the occasional fantasy book but I figured that the advice these authors were trying to give would apply to other genres as well, and indeed they did.

Where do authors get thei
Kirke
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
*I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Writers Workshop of Science Fiction & Fantasy is a compilation of different articles and interviews written by various well known authors. It definitely isn't a conventional read for non writers, but still it's very interesting to discover where authors get their ideas from, the importance of beginning, middle and end, all the different genres of fantasy... Even if you're not a science fiction or fantasy reader, it's always
Chris Bauer
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I normally read books on writing when with multiple contributors as I would an anthology. In general, there are chapters / lessons which are great and others which are either not applicable to my writing or otherwise of less value.

Not the case with "Writers Workshop of Science Fiction & Fantasy" - there were great lessons in each section.

Everything from "Where Ideas Come From" (Gaiman) to "WorldBuilding" with Elizabeth Bear to a couple of INVALUABLE roundtable discussions from luminaries in
Adam Aust
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
A somewhat helpful book for authors seeking insight into how publishers of SFF fiction view the marketplace and decide which works to purchase and publish.
Theresa Glover
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I attend sci-fi/genre cons with the intent to learn anything and everything I can from the professionals that are there on panels, presenting workshops, or just sitting around the bar. This book is a mini-con in and of itself. There is information about craft, about the industry, and each essay captures the personality of the well-known author who is presenting it. I believe that writing well means you have to dedicate yourself to studying it as well as doing it, and this book is an asset to any ...more
Andrea Judy
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent combination of general writing advice and specific looks at science fiction and fantasy!
I know I will be reading over this again with a highlight to take notes because there were several incredibly helpful sections with bits of advice I want to remember.
This is a great collection of advice by people from all over the industry. I was really happy to see discussions of licensed works (like Star Wars) included as well. A great addition to any writer's reference library!
Kim Justice
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
First of all let me say that Science Fiction and Fantasy are at the top of some of my very favorite genres to read! So from there I can say that this book was very interesting to read.

Getting to hear about how some of the authors get their ideas about writing, their characters and how they write in general was awesome!

To read more of my review:
Breath of Life
Robin Blankenship
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of advice from professional storytellers. It has articles and interviews from many people working in the books world. For non writers it gives you look into the work of writing and publishing. For writers it has tips and techniques to help writers on their journey. While I think this is an asset for any writer to own that does not mean non writers can not enjoy this. This is a great collection from some wonderful and fascinating writers of our time.
Keith Cochran
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
A collection of essays by current and past writers. I didn't really find anything mind bending here, just authors talking about subjects like "beginnings", "middles" and "endings". Not a must have, but interesting reading.
Disa Marnesdottr
Nov 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Editing is a good thing.

Great content, but advice about writing and grammar should be free of grammatical errors. I took stars away for irony.
Jess
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for those who are looking for input from well known fantasy/scifi authors, all current in the field today. I will keep this for inspiration and guidance.
Jesse Schroeder
May 13, 2015
Keith Harris
Dec 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Bram Stoker Award-winner Michael Knost is an author, editor, and columnist of science fiction, fantasy, horror, and supernatural thrillers. He has written many books in various genres, helmed anthologies such as the Bram Stoker Award-nominated Barbers & Beauties. His Writers Workshop of Horror won the 2009 Bram Stoker Award for superior achievement in nonfiction. His critically acclaimed Write ...more