Start by marking “Sunset Ridge” as Want to Read:
Sunset Ridge

Sunset Ridge

Nicole Alexander's new bestseller is an epic historical novel that takes three brothers from the drought-stricken outback of Queensland to the horror of the trenches in World War One.

They went to war and fought for love ...

Although Madeleine has grown up in the shadow of her grandfather, the renowned artist David Harrow, she knows little about him. For David died long
Published September 2nd 2013 by Bantam Australia

To ask other readers questions about Sunset Ridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunset Ridge

Start your review of Sunset Ridge
☼♄Jülie 

I'm sure I posted a review for this when I read it back in 2014! However there appears to be none here which is regrettable because I remember I loved this book and was very moved by it. I did give it the full five stars and still have it alongside others by this author!
It wouldn't feel right to write a fresh review now as my memory wouldn't do full justice to it, but suffice to say that I absolutely agree with all the other five star ratings here and would highly recommend this author.
I have
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Moving between South East Queensland and the First World War battlefields of France, Sunset Ridge is an epic tale of family, love and war. Nominated as one of '50 Book's You Can't Put Down' by Australia's nationwide Get Reading program for 2013, it is a compelling novel, well deserving of the recognition.

At the urging of her mother, Jude, art historian Madeleine Harrow-Boyne has agreed to consider the feasibility of a retrospective art exhibition to feature her grandfather's landscapes, but to
Kathryn
Ive had this on my list for quite a well and thought I would really enjoy it, but it started slowly (VERY slowly) and by about halfway through, I was kind of interested in the characters, but felt like it was dragging. I dont know why I felt like this - it had a story told from different points of view in different times and places, which I normally like, it was about a World War, which I also normally like (strange as that may sound), but the elements just didnt gel for me as they normally do. ...more
Dale Harcombe
I know a lot of people have loved this book but I have given up on it. Not sure if it is the wrong book at the wrong time or I am in the wrong frame of mind but I never connected with this book. I felt I was always being dragged from place to place and time to time from 2000 back to 1916 and never settled with the characters. I persevered through almost half before deciding it wasn't for me and taking it back to the library. Others may well have a different opinion.
Jenn J McLeod
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great Australian storytelling does not get much better than this!
I'm glad to see this one made the Australian '50 Books You Can't Put Down' 2013 initiative. Sunset Ridge truly deserves to be there. I read it in two very enjoyable sittings enjoying the seamless blending of fact and fiction. (The level of research the author must have done is staggering.)
As well as a modern day story thread of a young woman preparing a retrospective art exhibition for her deceased grandfather, the author takes
Kathy
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nicole Alexander just keeps getting better and better and thoroughly deserves one of the Get Readings Top 50 Books You Cannot Put Down for 2013 title.Sunset Ridge is a fantastic, compelling read that takes you effortlessly from rural South East Queensland to the First World War battlefields of France. This is an epic tale that has wonderful, varied characters and although I read quite a few books set in both rural Australia as well as based on war, there is just something about Nicoles writing ...more
Greg Barron
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Sunset Ridge. Set on a sprawling Queensland sheep station and in World War One France it has a wide and varied cast of characters, all vivid and strong in their own right. The war scenes were vivid and compelling, calling to mind Bryce Courtenay or even Sebastian Faulks. Roland the war dog was a wonderful thread to tie disparate characters together, and more than anything else, underlined the futility of this war.

The modern thread didn't grip me as much as the historical
Ruth Bonetti
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Topical for Remembrance Day; three Australian brothers leave their drought-stricken outback property for the horrors of trenches in France. An unusual hero is the war dog Roland, who followed his French twin masters to the front at Saint Omer, Ypres and Verdun, and who rescued many injured soldiers from battlefields.
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-books
*4.5 stars
Nicole Alexander was inspired to write the novel Sunset Ridge after discovering that her paternal Grandfather fought bravely in World War I, receiving a military medal in France 1918. In a testament to her Grandfathers story, a man she never got the opportunity to meet, Alexander has woven a powerful tale of war, love, mateship, courage and family secrets complete with a cast of strong unforgettable characters. Initially set in 2000, the story begins with Madeleine who has returned to
Karen O'Brien-Hall
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sunset Ridge is huge in scope both chronological and geographical. Set in the years between 1916 and 2000, the journey takes us from South East Queensland to Saint-Omer in Northern France, to Ypres, Verdun and the Somme.
Madeleine grows up in the shadow of her grandfather David Harrows artistic talent and no-one can understand why she doesnt know more about her illustrious ancestor. The Harrow family are an old SE Queensland grazing family and Madeleines brother is the current custodian of the
Jeannette
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great Australian storytelling does not get much better than this!

Shayne McCarthy
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love when you discover a book that you never expected to grasp you in it's clutches and pull you into it's pages, because that is exactly what happened when I opened the first page of Sunset Ridge.
Sunset Ridge is one of the most profound and emotionally moving books I have read.
When I began reading it I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. I quickly became engulfed into the writing and was there alongside the characters the whole time I was reading.
I highly recommend this book to
Catyj
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I gave Sunset Ridge to my mother (after Nicole so thoughtfully signed it for me) and she found it to be wonderful. She delighted in how accurate everything is in the book - both the present and the past. She thought the descriptions of the property were so perfectly spot-on and delighted in the level of detail throughout the book. (She's off to her local library now to read Nicole's earlier books.)
So thank you Nicole, you not only scored a new fan in my mother but I scored some epic brownie
Sharlene
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. I'm not a huge war story fan, but this was perfect for me - enough information to inform me, and to help me imagine the horrors of war, but not so much that I couldn't read the book (yes, I'm overly sensitive!) One of the other reviews mentions how well researched the book is, and I must absolutely agree. It was a lovely story - one that although fiction, was based on so much of what happened during the war. I have read a few of Nicole's books, and enjoyed them all, ...more
Melissa
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nicole ALexander pulled it off again..another great Australian story.
Eilagh
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it
This is an epic tale set during the first world war period in Australia and France. Good story for those who enjoy a family saga, especially as it also moves forward to 2000.
Kelly Byrne
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The story moves between modern times and world war 1 and it kept me enthralled the whole time. I loved the way the story evolved. Nicole Alexander is one of my favourite authors and I am enjoying discovering her books.
Gail Maree
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a bit slow at the start, but I enjoyed it. Interested in reading more from this author.
Kylie
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thought this was going to be a love story but so much more.
Robyn Gibson
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story jumps from Queensland in 2000 to the time of the Great War in 1916. Madeleine's grandfather died before she was born. She wants to do a retrospective of his art, but to do that she has to find his paintings. Three brothers have had enough of the restrictive life on the family property in s.w. Queensland so they run away from home and end up in the hell of WWI. Twin brothers in France come home to their property one day with a mangy-looking dog and they name him Roland. The brothers go ...more
Faye Barron
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nicole Alexander's, Sunset Ridge, made me think back to family members who were veterans of WW1, and wonder about the stories that they could have told! The atrocities of war were never mentioned, in those days.
Nicole obviously did an immense amount of research to take the Queensland bush families, and the French country family from times of war (1916-1918) to the year 2000. The war scenes are very graphic - as are the beautiful descriptions of the Australian and the French landscapes. The
Melissa
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was such a hard book to keep putting down at night. I just wanted to finish it as it had amazing detail, terrific story lines and I enjoyed the different stories of 2 eras which all came together at the end. The characters were believable and the story lines were honest and very detailed.
A fantastically written Australian drama.
Paula Clark
Absolutely loved it!!!
The storyline was fantastic - with two running parallel and coming together at the end. Wonderful depiction of life for all the diggers at the front during the war and also the expectations of class and family hierarchy in early Australia.
Claire
I thoroughly enjoyed this story, reading the past and present and the way everything fitted together and became the one story. Very interesting and sad to read about the war. I shed a tear on the last page, am looking forward to reading some more of Nicole Alexander's work.
Kerry
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love books set in Australia as they provide an instant connection.This book was no exception. The authors research into the outback of Australia and the First World War added authenticity to the book. The storyline was compelling and there were enough twists to keep you reading.

Katrina
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book which switched between outback Queensland, and France and the battlefields of World War 1. Essentially a family saga it is really well written and I learned a lot about the use of war dogs and the emergence of artists during the War. I'd highly recommend this one.
Justine
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it - well written, great characters and story! Highly recommend.
Pam
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Was a change to read a book about the first world war which my Grandad served in. Very interesting
Robyn Coyle
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read - started out I thought it would be boring - but didn't take till I got into this book - very enjoyable
Sally Mcglashan
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this amazing saga, fantastic. Wipe the tears away and off in search of more novels by Nicole Alexander!

• Scrublands
  • Khaki Town
  • Auf zerbrochenem Glas (Ein Nik-Pohl-Thriller 1)
  • Lighthouse Bay
  • African Dawn (African Sky #2)
  • The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor)
  • Southern Ruby
  • The Invitation
  • Gone Fishing
  • Sidney Sheldon’s The Silent Widow
  • Suitcase of Dreams (The Girl from Munich #2)
  • Table For Eight
  • White Gardenia
  • None but the Brave: A magnificent novel of heroism, sacrifice and love in a war-torn world
  • One More Song
  • Golden Earrings
  • Island in the East
  • A Fête to Remember
Nicole Alexander is the author of nine novels: The Bark Cutters, A Changing Land, Absolution Creek, Sunset Ridge, The Great Plains, Wild Lands, River Run, An Uncommon Woman and Stone Country. The Cedar Tree will be released March 2020.

Non-fiction includes; Divertissements: Love. War. Society. - a collection of poetry. And, Dear Mum, an anthology.

Nicole lives in north-west NSW, Australia and when