Start by marking “Belle Noir: Tales of Love and Magic” as Want to Read:
Belle Noir: Tales of Love and Magic

Belle Noir: Tales of Love and Magic

Enter a world of dark beauty…

This collection of enchanting and disturbing stories ranging from fantasy to speculative fiction will leave you spellbound! (Includes retellings of Beauty and the Beast)

Transfigured - The Beast has changed back to a handsome prince, yet Beauty finds out that although some curses may be broken, they are never completely destroyed.

No Loyal Knigh
Kindle Edition, First, 137 pages
Published June 3rd 2013 (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Belle Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belle Noir

Start your review of Belle Noir: Tales of Love and Magic
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
This slender collection of five short stories is familiar (three of the five stories were inspired by Beauty and the Beast) and darkly bittersweet. More in the Grimm vein (pun!) than Disney, Zavora leaves the reader feeling uneasy and discomforted -- which is a surprisingly fun state to be in!

Each story lingered with me and, frankly, got under my skin (although I will say, the titular story 'Belle Noir' is the one I really can't shake!). The opening story, 'Transfigured', is the most fairy tale-
Ornella (Nyx)
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
A copy was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

My favorite fairy tale at this point is Beauty and the Beast (I don't actually read many re-tellings but I love Beauty and the Beast), probably because it's one of the few that really drives in the point of true love. How they have learn to over come their first impressions and prejudices. How a person can change and just not physically, and how sometimes that just isn't enough.

Each story had a different tone to it and it's own w
Amira
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When the author contacted me for a review, I was hesitant since I have never before heard of this book or the author. I had reservations but I accepted because I do love fairy tale retellings and short stories. As soon as I started reading, all my hesitation completely vanished. Before anything else, I have to say that from the first sentence to the last, the author's exquisite writing enthralled me.

The stories themselves are mostly dark and unsettling. The author promised me three very differe
Monique
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well...this was an interesting and creepy collection of short stories. It's obvious that the author is fascinated with the Beauty and the Beast fairytale, since three of the five stories in the book are centered on the classic. Mix in some Tennyson and weird shit from an LSD trip and...Tah-Dah! Good creepy times!
Note that 'Belle Noir' -the story that didn't have much of a magical element - was the most disturbing of the collection, and as such, it should have a trigger warning.
The writing in 'B
Heather
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
(This review can be found on my blog The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl at the end of August).

I had high hopes for this book. It sounded amazing and had a gorgeous cover! I was super glad when this book lived up to my high hopes, and oh, the feels!

How gorgeous is that cover!?! I think it portrays the feelings of this book quite well. I love the creepy yet mystical feel of the cover.

I also really love the title. It really drew me in and really wanted to make me find out more
Rayna  Del Rivas
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I must admit that I was taken aback upon being approached to do a review. My first instinct was to say no because I encountered some poorly written self-published stories (*shudders*) not too long ago. But upon sampling the book, that changed to an enthusiastic YES! And I am very relieved to report that I never had cause to regret accepting.

What lured my interest? Zavora's storytelling is luminous. The stories, five in all, range from gothic fantasy to literary but with fairy tale threads runnin
Danielle Young
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every since I was a little girl I have been a fan of fairy tales. I have them to thank for my romantic ways. But we all know how fairy tales end, Happy Ever After. When I was first asked to read Belle Noir: Tales of Love and Magic I was immediately intrigued by the darkness that was hinted at through the synopsis.

And as I read through the compilation of stories I was not disappointed as each story took what I expected from a fairy tale and turned it on its head, delivering a darker, more realis
♥Scout Paige♥
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
The full review is posted on my blog:

An e-copy of Belle was sent to me by the author in return for an honest review, And I was a bit nervous because its the first anthology I've read. Belle Noir is a collection of short stories for adults and most of the stories are about heartbreak, pain and magic. This book was so original, I didn't want to put it down. Don't let the name and cover fool you, Belle Noir is dark and heart wrenching, All of the characters i
Shannon Kamzelski sanders
I was provided with a copy from the author for an honest review.

Prepare to have your mind opened to so new possibilities on the story you thought you know. In this book of short stories Beauty & The Beast is redone three times. Each time it is reworked in such a manner that you will be amazed at how many different versions this tale can really have. Well written and thought provoking. These stories had me thinking about the characters and the plot well after I set the book down.
Amy
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
A quick, yet enjoyable read. There is a definite dark undertone to all of these stories. There are also moment of twists I did not see coming. Ultimately, I take away the message of not judging someone by their outside. Sometimes you have to look deeper.

If you like to read about different takes on classic fairy tales, I highly recommend Belle Noir.

*I received this free as a first reads giveaway*
Ashley Ehlers

Originally posted on Paranormal Sisters http://www.paranormalsisters.blogspot...

*was provided with a copy from author for an honest review*

I was excited when I read the blurb for this when the author came to me. I mean, who wouldn't be excited when 3/5 stories are retellings of beauty and the beast (my favorite fairy tale, by the way). So when I was able to get to it, I dived right in.

I read this back in July so this may be hard to review but I need to do this. Some things are memorable to me b
Sara
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a version of stories of retellings of traditional tales (which the book was advertised as). In four of the stories the links with the traditional tales were weak and were disturbing tales (about things I was not expecting like Child abuse). The fifth story Mirabilis was fantastic, exactly what the collection should have been like. It was a retelling of beauty and the beast where the beauty and beast worked together to find a cure. This is what I expected the rest to be like. As a ...more
Tracy Ann
Nov 11, 2018
Hannah
Jun 28, 2013
Barbara Walshaw
rated it did not like it
Oct 13, 2013
Samantha
Jul 07, 2013
Froggarita
Jul 09, 2013
In my childhood, I rode water buffaloes and waded in swamps. Nowadays, I travel and write romantic stories about adventurous women.

News & Interviews

“It was her favorite story, that she remembers, but she would be hard-pressed to retell it now, faithfully, as it had been told to her. All she could recall were frayed, sleep-watered images of a forgotten castle in the middle of a wild forest, stone statues, crimson roses, and a dark, animal presence never seen, but which stained her memory of the tale, even past its edges to the daylight after.” 13 likes
“Some curses fade and leave nothing but the faintest mark, a tea stain on watered silk. There are those that are so malevolent that, upon defeat, explode in a fiery burst of sulfurous flames, burning everything they touch as they die. Others dissolve like morning mist in the brightness of the midday sun. Some cannot be defeated at all, but feed upon the energy spent trying to vanquish it, growing more and more potent with each failed attempt.

And then there are those ancient curses with deceptively simple antidotes that shatter like jagged shards of a vast mirror.

These curses may be broken, but never completely destroyed, sharp slivers of light distorted.”
8 likes