Start by marking “A Heart Deceived” as Want to Read:
A Heart Deceived

A Heart Deceived

MIRI BRAYDEN teeters on a razor’s edge between placating and enraging her brother, whom she depends upon for support. Yet if his anger is unleashed, so is his madness. Miri must keep his descent into lunacy a secret, or he’ll be committed to an asylum—and she’ll be sent to the poor house.

ETHAN GOODWIN’s been on the run all of his life—from family, from the law...from God.
Published June 20th 2013 by David C. Cook

Gwendolyn Gage
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Whenever I pick up a book by Michelle Griep, I know I'm in for fantastic imagery, sensory-rich setting, metaphors I'll wish I'd thought of, plot twists and turns that keep me guessing--and last but not least--memorable characters. Can I say this without being weird? I loved the villain! I mean, yeah, Nigel was the bad guy, but he had personality plus, and a way of stealing the stage, I guess. He was humorous in his thoughts and interactions with others, and--I don't know--I just found myself smi ...more
Amber Stokes
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amber-s-kindle
Michelle Griep's books are gritty, suspenseful, and romantic. I fell in love with her time travel stories (Gallimore and Undercurrent), so I was eager to get my hands on whatever she wrote next! A Heart Deceived brings the reader completely into the past (no time traveling here!), but it doesn't lessen the stakes or lower the tension. With confused hearts and blurred lines between lunacy and normality, this is a story that is both gripping and challenging.

I appreciate how Griep causes the reader to look deeper at s(
Ashley Reads
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was so very different from other Christian romances that I find it hard to even put it in the same category. It addressed a much darker variety of topics than one might see in a Christian romance as well from murder to drugs and alcohol, violence and even physical desires (have no fear, it's a clean romance).

Miri and Ethan were also some of the most feeling and REAL characters I've met through Christian fiction as well and I loved both of them.

Miri is approaching spi
Jeanne Alfveby Crea
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have not met a Michelle Griep story that I haven't loved! A Heart Deceived was no exception. What stays with me are the main characters Miri and Ethan and their search for home, love and redemption, which included experiences of sad places like prisons and asylums in late 1700 London. Michelle Griep writes so well, that you can imagine what life must have been like. That is my favorite thing about well-written historical fiction, the story transports you to another time and place. Well done! M ...more
Linda Yezak
Michelle Griep has single-handedly renewed my love for Regency Romance. A Heart Deceived is no bodice ripper, something I tired of long ago. It's an intriguing tale of a young, unmarried woman who must keep her brother's growing insanity a secret--or he'd end up in an asylum, and she'd end up homeless.

Michelle's characters are as real and complex as her plot. She included a couple of men in there who I still want to smack upside the head. But her true gift as an author is in her abil
Susan De Bell
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Excellent. Heartwarming Read

The story is charming and endearing, the characters are well-defined and real, and the power of faith is a strong and encouraging message throughout the book. I am so very glad that I read this encouraging and beautifully written story.
Michelle Griep
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Honestly, does any any author ever give their book less?
Miranda A. Uyeh
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book actually turned out more fun and interesting than I initially gave it credit for (sorry!). At the beginning of the story I was put off by certain elements, but as I delved deeper, a smile slowly stole its way to my lips and then my heart. I even started to laugh at the little humor elements that Michelle neatly tucked into the story! And as the story went along, I began to understand why Michelle chose to include those elements that I found so unpleasant.

Please understand t
Janelle
May 21, 2018 marked it as dnf
Dnf. I honestly wanted to finish reading this, but I couldn't find a good enough reason to do so. It's disappointing as the writing was decent, and the author tackled a number of important issues, such as domestic violence and mental health. But the plot was slow and dull, and I didn't really care about the characters.
Rebecca
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading "A Heart Deceived" was like embarking on a treasure hunt; finding gems hidden deep within its pages, precious nuggets of truth and inspiration where least expected, and discovering characters whose lasting value had been buried under layers of sediment after experiencing grotesque and unsavory experiences. When the lives of a redeemed reprobate and lovely sister of a deranged interim vicar coincide, a story erupts that exudes mystery, mayhem, and highly unlikely romance.

It is
Alicia Willis
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
16+ for adult and dark themes.

I received this book from the author a few years back. I've started it several times, but this is the first time I've managed to read it all the way through.

DARK is the word I'd use to describe A Heart Deceived. Think Charles Dickens. Think Bleak House, Nicholas Nickleby, and David Copperfield all rolled into one. Think of a time in English history that was very morbid, disease-ridden, superstitious, and godless. Think of all that, then add a touch of g
Ionia
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You want this book. Trust me when I tell you that I was not expecting this book to be as completely incredible as it actually is. It wasn't for any particular reason I thought this. I hadn't heard of the author before this and the romancey-feel to the description made me wonder if I would enjoy it. Wow!

This book has some of the most beautiful description I have seen in any novel. I actually had to try not to continually highlight passages every few paragraphs. There are some fantastic quotes in
Stephanie Mccall
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Michelle Griep--until this book, I had never heard of her. In fact, I chose this novel on the recommendation of Julie Klassen, who writes books with plots similar to this one. I figured, I like Klassen, so I'll probably like Griep, too. This turned out to be a really good bet. Griep's tale is much darker than most Regency-era novels I've read, but in a way, that's a refreshing change. It means the opportunity for conflict increases, as does the need for realistic character actions and resolution ...more
Susan Snodgrass
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'When we're at our weakest, God's at His strongest.'

Miri Brayden lives with her brother, a preacher who is mad. She is constantly on her guard to protect that fact from others, for she knows he will be committed to an asylum if his madness is discovered. And he is her only source of income. Then one day she discovers a bedraggled beggar in the garden shed outside the rectory. Ethan Goodwin, a self proclaimed murderer, opium addict and criminal of all sorts is hiding to escape a false
Deborha Mitchell
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After reading Michelle’s previous book Undercurrent, I was expecting nothing less than a great read. Well, I was not disappointed. Michelle has definitely stepped it up a bit with this new release. A bit on the darker side, but so intriguing and well written. There is so much going on in A Heart Deceived, you may ask “Will I get lost?” The answer is no! Michelle does an excellent job bringing all the different aspects together and making a perfectly harmonious story…..Murder, addictions, insanit ...more
Oma
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a story of flawed people who learn to put their faith in God, but not without going through many trials. Miri Braydon is dependent upon her older brother, who is seriously mentally ill. She must disguise his illness so that they will have a place to live, but his outbursts are becoming more noticeable. Ethan Goodwin is a drug abuser who lives on the streets in London. His best friend, Miri's younger brother, Will, is killed by jumping in front of the knife intended for him. Will die ...more
Marian Baay
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2013
A new-to-me-author, this was my first introduction with Michelle Griep’s writing. This woman really can write! Usually I’m not so much into books with a sort of ‘dark’ setting and that’s why I looked at this book for at least three times and every time decided not to request it for review, but then I did it anyway—and boy, am I glad I did!
The author has a unique way with words that drew me into the story right away—on the first page I sat next to Miri in church and reluctantly had to let m
A.M. Heath
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Michelle Griep is a new author for me, so I was thrilled to find another talented author to read from. A Heart Deceived shares a story of redemption in a powerful way. I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading more from this author. Mrs. Griep didn't shy away from the realities and hardships that her characters faced. I believe she handled these situations very tastefully, but due to the heavy violent content, sensitive readers should beware.
Jeanie Jacobson
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jane Austin would cheer Michelle Griep’s novels

Prepare yourself to read all night.
The protagonists, Miri Braydon and Ethan Goodwin, face life-altering struggles. Miri deals with a mentally unstable brother jeopardizing their good names and their livelihood. Ethan battles an opium addiction and guilt from his previous unsavory choices.
Between misunderstandings, madness, and a campaign of lies waged against them, the poorhouse, the madhouse, and jailhouse all loom in the ch
Mary
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
“A Heart Deceived,” by Michelle Griep is a work of historical fiction. It is also a book of faithfulness, love and mental illness. Sometimes, when we work so hard to live a life of deceit everything falls apart.
This is what happens to Miri as she struggles to hide the truth about what is happening to her brother. After being brow-beaten, mistreated, and ridiculed by her brother for so long, Miri longs for some love and human kindness. That can’t be too much to ask for, can it? As her brother
Linda Pusey
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always a surprise!

Many authors are predictable. They have their style but along with quaint details and description, they also have patterns, making their stories somewhat similar. Not Michelle. In this story I think I see a redemption but then another crisis flips the outcome, and I wonder what will come next. And then I remembered, yes, that's life! Blessings, Michelle! Thanks again!
Meghan Landi
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet

This book was easy to read and full of little unexpected twists throughout. I very much enjoyed the characters. Can’t wait to read more Michelle.
Sheila Majczan
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had not read any of this author's books prior to reading this one. Usually I read the longer reviews and the sample prior to deciding to buy a book. However, this book was on sale and the book description made it seem like a book I would enjoy. And, although, I say I liked this book, in hindsight, I would not buy it again. The reason is that, even though there is a happy ending, FINALLY, the dark matter dealt with herein is depressing. Yes, it is reality, it is history, but I like my books a l ...more
Deb
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVE THIS BOOK! The cover is perfect for this book. Dark, yet some light. What is not to love...you have villains, gambling, opium, murder. This is England in 1795. Then you have a woman taking care of her insane brother. What is the brother capable of? Preacher one day & murderer the next? Then there is the injured stranger who shows up. What is he capable of? Jail and asylum...death and Typhus. This is a MUST read.
Ru4repeat
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a different subject than most would write about, but so well done! I loved the build-up to the actions mentioned in the book description. The metaphors were so descriptive. I loved this book!
Paula Vince
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it
It's around the turn of the nineteenth century and Miri Brayden is trying to prevent people from noticing that her brother, Roland, is steadily losing his grip on sanity. He would be committed to a lunatic asylum and she would be homeless. It's getting to be a hard act to keep up, especially since the local vicar has recently disappeared and Roland probably has something to do with it.

Her only unlikely ally seems to be Ethan Goodwin, the hopeless tramp and opium addict who turns up s
Cynthia Rodrigues
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
For Full and detailed review, race to http://cynthology.blogspot.in/2014/07...

Reading A Heart Deceived by Michelle Griep, it is easy to get the impression that she was a contemporary of Charles Dickens. The author never falters when it comes to the fluency of the language of the time. It is this sureness of style that makes this romantic fiction, with a strong element of faith woven in, such an engaging read.

Griep’s research of the era is perfect to the last detail, beating time with the world as we know it from lit
Yvonne Anderson
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a romance novel, a genre I seldom read. Though I have nothing against romance itself, I prefer novels that have some depth, perhaps incorporating a splash of romance along the way but not making that the focal point of the story.

This story does, in fact, have a bit of depth to it, nudging the reader to evaluate her own faith as the protagonist sorts out hers. The characters are engaging; even the minor ones are solid and lifelike. The protagonist draws sympathy (perhaps for s
Janice Dick
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
From bad to worse, that is the formula for a gripping tale. And that's what author Michelle Griep puts her characters through in this tension-filled historical novel. Set in London in the mid-1700s (I believe) against the backdrop of class distinction and social injustice, Miriall Brayden cares for her mad and abusive brother. If his madness is discovered, both of them will be cast our of their home. She has no idea how far his demented mind has driven him.
Meanwhile, Ethan Goodwin, a poverty-st
Noela
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"A Heart Deceived"

With an incredibly adept pen and an impressive and unique voice, Michelle Griep tells a story that conjures up powerful images whilst leaving you with a memorable experience you’ll not soon forget!

We’re introduced to Ethan Goodwin at his darkest hour. A man that was given to gambling, women, alcohol, and opium. But when his dearest friend dies because of him – everything changes. After exacting revenge, and not knowing where else to go, Ethan seeks out his friend’s
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Tomorrow's Sun (Lost Sanctuary #1)
  • Five Days in Skye (MacDonald Family Trilogy, #1)
  • Do You See What I See?: Exploring the Christmas of Every Day
  • The Language of Sparrows
  • Lily (Song of the River #1)
  • Shades of Mercy (Maine Chronicle, #1)
  • The Designer Bag at the Garbage Dump
  • All for a Song (All For, #1)
  • Flame of Resistance
  • Forsaken Dreams (Escape to Paradise, #1)
  • Undaunted Love
  • Talking to the Dead
  • Composing Amelia
  • Fairchild's Lady (The Culper Ring, #1.5)
  • Blue Hole Back Home
  • Mistaken: First Impressions Are Never What They Seem
  • Bleeding Heart (The Heart's Spring, #2)
  • Chasing Charlie
I hear voices. Loud. Incessant. And very real. Which basically gives me two options: choke back massive amounts of Prozac or write fiction. I chose the latter. Way cheaper. I've been writing since I discovered blank wall space and Crayolas. I seek to glorify God in all that I write...except for that graffiti phase I went through as a teenager. Oops. Did I say that out loud?
“Deeds done in the dark can never remain unexposed.” 5 likes
“When we're at our weakest, God's at His strongest. We serve a powerful God, boy, and last time I checked, He was still on the throne.” 1 likes