Start by marking “Sinister Intent (Lexie Rogers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sinister Intent (Lexie Rogers, #1)

Sinister Intent

(Lexie Rogers #1)

For eight years Lexie Rogers has been a uniform cop in Sydney’s red light district, Kings Cross. Having survived a violent knife attack, she’s seen it all – and far more than most cops her age. Now she’s back at work as the newest member of the Bondi Junction Detective’s Office and ready to start again.

One of her first jobs is to execute a search warrant at a bikie clubhou
Published August 1st 2013 by Simon Schuster Australia

To ask other readers questions about Sinister Intent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sinister Intent

Start your review of Sinister Intent (Lexie Rogers, #1)
 Li'l Owl
What a great book!
This is my first read by Karen M Davis. This is a wonderful audio version and I recommend it over the written format unless you are fluent in Australian. Let me explain. If you're not accustomed to Aussie speak and accent, like me, you're missing out on the difference and experience of enjoying an author from another part of the world. To me, that's what makes reading so great. I love the ability to experience the world through books. This is especially true when the narrator
Sharon
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Working for eight years in Sydney's Kings Cross district as a uniformed officer, Lexie Rogers had seen it all from drunken brawls to drug overdoses. She is now returning to work after being brutally attacked and stabbed by a bikie gang member. Although her physical scars may have healed it's the psychological scarring that still haunts her. Returning as a detective and the the newest member in Bondi Junction could be more of a challenge than she thought it would be.

Lexie's is partnered with dete
Brenda
When Detective Lexie Rogers began work in the Bondi Junction detectives’ office, she was back from her recuperation of a violent stabbing by a bikie currently being held in jail. Lexie had just escaped with her life, and her terror had faded somewhat – but the nightmares were still there. She was hoping her return to work in a different office with different work mates would help her troubled state of mind. She was determined to put it behind her, as best she could – she would be a witness at th ...more
Emma
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Initial Reaction:
Holy hell. I totally picked who the bad guy was but fuck I did not see the ending coming. Jesus fucking Christ.
description
Synopsis:
Sinister Intent is about a Detective Lexie Rogers. She's recently back on the job at Bondi Junction after a workplace accident involving a bikie by the name of Amitt Vincent. Let's just say that bikies and Lexie are not a good combo and soon she's swept up in a murder investigation involving, you guessed it, bikies.

My Thoughts:
Lexie is the most badass woman ev
Lauren K
When I picked up Sinister Intent, authored by an Australian ex-cop, I knew I’d be in for a great crime fiction read. But as a reader, I got a whole lot more than I expected! In fact, I feel this story fits quite nicely into the romantic suspense genre too, because of the strong romance plot weaved throughout the crime investigation.

Lexie Rogers makes a new start as a detective at Bondi Junction, ready to leave behind the fear and trauma she experienced as a uniform cop for eight years that resul
Sunnie
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Lexie Rogers is an newly transferred detective to Bondi Junction. She is back at work after recovering from injuries that have left scars; both physical and psychological. Straight away she is thrown into a situation that takes her back to that harrowing time. Settling I is made more difficult by her strong attraction to her new partner.

the author, Karen M. Davies is a former police detective married to a serving detective so the characters and procedures ring true. Sinister Intent is her first
Deb Bodinnar
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. The characters were believable and the storyline was forever making me NOT wanting to put it down. I am looking forward to reading of yet another fantastic Aussie Female crime Writer. I highly recommend this novel to all who love a crime book you can really sick your teeth into. I enjoy the way Karen writes and when I read that her Mum was Lynne Wilding, I understood why, I have read most of Lynne's novels and loved every single one.
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
Is this a bikie war ... or something far more sinister!

The bright lights and big city of Sydney can always be relied upon to serve the perfect backdrop for an Australian crime novel and this debut by former policewoman turned writer, Karen M Davis, doesn't disappoint, with an action-packed story perfectly blended with murder, blackmail, police corruption and misplaced loyalties.

We meet Lexie Rogers a few months after an almost fatal attack with a member of a bikie gang in Sydney's Kings Cross ar
Bree T
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, crime, australian, aww2013
Lexie Rogers worked as a uniformed police officer in Sydney’s Kings Cross for eight years before an attack by a bikie nearly took her life. Having recovered, she’s now been posted to Bondi Junction as a detective and her first case throws her headlong into a simmering feud between two rival bikie clubs in Sydney’s more glamorous eastern suburbs. The Assassins and the Devils Outlaws have a long and chequered history and it seems that the tense ceasefire might be about to go up in smoke.

Lexie form
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

A retired Australian police officer, Karen M. Davis draws on her years of career experience in Sinister Intent, her impressive debut crime fiction novel.

After surviving a violent attack from a crazed Bikie in a Kings Cross laneway, Lexie Rogers is disconcerted when her first big case as a new detective with the Bondi Junction office involves the increasing rivalry of two local Bikie gangs known as the Devil's Guardians and the Assassins. It's rumoured the animosity between the outlaw clubs bega
Karen
Aug 04, 2013 rated it liked it
According to her bio author Karen M Davis was a New South Wales police officer for twenty years. Starting her career on the streets of Newtown, she went on to work as a detective and undercover operative in a variety of sections, all of which specialised in the investigation of organised crime. You can tell when you're reading SINISTER INTENT that the author knows what she's writing about very well. She also knows how to tell a yarn.

In amongst the obvious parallels between the author's career an
Lily Malone
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first half of the book I really enjoyed, but the second half I found myself skimming. I think it's because I'd worked out who the killer was and although there was a little surprise at the end, it didn't quite redeem the book for me.
I love this genre, so I'm not sure exactly why it didn't work for me. I've read other books with a female cop protagonist in an Australian cop setting and preferred those; and my all-time favourites are the John Sandford cop/crime thrillers set in Minnea
Paula Clark
Lexie, Lexie, Lexie - "so simple" and yet it took you so long to work it out!. I had "The Grub" sussed halfway through, but of course had to keep reading to make sure I was right.

I loved all the characters - Lexie, Josh, Rex and even Kate :P The storyline had enough intrigue to keep me reading and wandering what was going to happen next. Plenty of twists and turns (most of which I didn't see coming) and a nice even pace which didn't allow me to be bored at any time.

A great crime novel and I look
Jeannette
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great read with a gutsy female detective. Lexie certainly has her share of problems and I was along for the ride. I enjoy crime novels and pride myself on being able to pick the bad guy but this story is far from predictable.
Amanda Sorrasson
Great first book, it gets even better with the second. looking forward to reading more from Karen M. Davis
Colette Lamberth
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am frequently drawn to books set in Australia and particularly enjoy them in the audio format. The narrator here was very good and dry easy to listen to. Good story and a decent set of characters and I’ve already downloaded books 2.
John
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great début crime/police novel by former detective Karen M Davis which kept my attention from beginning to end. The story is set in Sydney where bikie (motor-cycle) gangs are at the centre of organised crime.

After six years as a uniformed cop, Lexie Rogers has reached her career objective - to be a detective. Getting there has not been easy and she has been exposed to the worst things that can happen while policing the dregs of society. A few months ago she was stabbed and left for dea
Don
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: h-2018-33
Sinister Intent is the first of the Lexie Rogers series, of which there are three…to date. However, it was the third of the series which I read.

I have stated that Books 2 & 3 can be read as standalone novels and to some extent I will stick buy that statement. In books 2 & 3 there are references to Lexie’s past which can be looked upon as simply a bit of background information in those books. However, Book 1, Sinister Intent, explains those references in more detail and for that reason I was, in
Michelle
Intriguing, engrossing, unpredictable and a fantastic read. I can't wait to see what's next ...

Sinister Intent is the debut novel of Karen M. Davis, a former police officer and detective with twenty years experience. This experience certainly shines through with her insightful and believable portrayal of the officers in Sinister Intent.

I’m not sure whether this is a stand alone or the beginning of a series but my personal wish is for the beginning of a series. I found myself quite attached to so
Carolyn
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lexie Rogers has just returned to work as a Police Detective following a brutal stabbing by a member of a bikie gang. She has been transferred to a new Police Station in the Eastern suburbs and hopes that a fresh start will help her get back on her feet and put the stabbing behind her.

Unfortunately, a bikie war between two rival gangs in the Eastern suburbs is hotting up and Lexie's first case involves the shooting of a bikie. Lexie and her partner arrive at the scene of the shooting before the
Patricia Leslie
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I bought this book when I attended¬ Karen Davis’s book launch a few months ago. It took me a couple of months to get to, but when I finally read it I loved it! How refreshing to read a novel set in Sydney, even better parts of Sydney that I know. How easy it was to relate to her great characters and understand their reactions and responses to the situations they found themselves in. Read a novel set in my home city was a bit like coming home.

Karen’s experience as a Sydney police officer lends t
Malvina
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A terrific romantic suspense, written by ex-cop Karen Davis, so it has a ring of authenticity. Lexie Rogers starts working as detective at Bondi Junction, and is thrown head-first into escalating tensions between two bikie gangs. A terrible scenario that we've sadly seen on the news time after time. The story goes at a breathtaking pace - and actually makes me very glad I'm not a policewoman, working those insane hours to get the job done! A huge thanks to the police force; this brings home how ...more
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
For the lovers of the police procedural.

An outstanding debut novel and a wonderful police procedural with enduring and empathetic characters, what more could you ask for? Karen M Davis has managed to capture the essence of a great crime read; a great narrative, a surprising ending, plenty of drama and suspense, an authentic voice and settings that are realistic. I really enjoyed this read and liked the main characters; the camaraderie and rapport between the police officers at the station felt
Denise
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I loved this book. It is fast paced with real life issues. The author, Karen M Davis, was a cop working in uniform then as a detective. She draws from her experiences in her novels. Karen introduces the characters and drama of her novel by sharing lots of incidents in the life of a detective. Slowly she brings in the drama of two bikie gangs. Lexie is a new detective and is called to an incident at the clubhouse of a bikie gang in the eastern suburbs of Sydney. The dramas increase. Murder. Corru ...more
Lyn
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling ride on the other side! Davis is a gifted writer who uses her real life experience to reveal a fascinating glimpse into the hearts, minds and politics of bikie gangs, their leaders, and the cops who try to keep them under control. The reader is led through many intricate layers, conflicts and complexities, all of which form a part of what is often a 'sinister' fabric - where police and criminal lines become blurred and crossed. A brilliant plot, love story, psychological insight, and ...more
Jess
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4.5 stars.
This was everything a good crime fiction novel should be.
I finished this book and immediately picked up the second in the series.
I love the way that these characters have been created, and I love how well the plot is set out with enough action to keep you hooked.
This book loses half a star because I didn't like that Lexie was portrayed as a bit of a damsel in distress in some parts of the story.
The love interest was a good add on to the plot, but him wanting to save her and protect
Fiona
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
I read this and then quickly followed up with her second book.
Lexie Rogers is a welcome addition to Australian Crime Fiction.Kept me reading.
Lee
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
This could have been a really good story except for the ridiculous romantic element of the two main characters, drove me crazy and found it hard to finish the book.
Ailish

• The Ones You Trust
  • The Coroner (Jenny Cooper, #1)
  • Crossfire (Noughts & Crosses, #5)
  • Unbreakable
  • Macbeth (Hogarth Shakespeare)
  • A Life to Kill (Jenny Cooper, #7)
  • Black Tide (Jack Irish, #2)
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • Everything but the Truth
  • Five Ring Circus (Scobie Malone, #15)
  • See Them Run (Detective Clare Mackay #1)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me
  • The Happiest Refugee
  • An Iron Rose
  • Return to Stringybark Creek (The Callahans of Stringybark Creek #3)
  • Last Bridge Before Home (Chalk Hill #3)
  • The Boundary Fence (Woodlea, #7)
  • Little Bones (Cathy Connolly, #1)
Karen Davis was a New South Wales police officer for twenty years. Starting her career on the streets of Newtown, she then moved on to work as a detective and undercover operative in a variety of sections, all of which specialised in the investigation of organised crime.

When Karen left the force nine years ago her mother (author of twelve novels, the late Lynne Wilding) encouraged her to draw insp

Lexie Rogers (3 books)
  • Deadly Obsession (Lexie Rogers, #2)
  • Fatal Mistake (Lexie Rogers, #3)