Start by marking “The Beholder” as Want to Read:
The Beholder

Read Book* *Different edition

The Beholder (The Beholder #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  145 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Worlds of Light and Darkness are about to clash. And Jason will be in the thick of it.

In Asunción, Minsk and Sydney, people die under mysterious circumstances. Each branded with an arcane sign, they are pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. When more people are missing, with similar signs appearing in and around their homes, Jason, an average New Yorker, realizes the victims are a ri
Published May 2013 by CreateSpace (first published January 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Beholder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beholder

Angela
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read. Our world in The Beholder is described as having Light and Darkness expressed through individuals, and there's 'a chosen one' as titled, nothing unexpected there. What entertained me the most was the writing itself, it was fabulous. The words rolled and I didn't know when I'd reached the end. I liked Jason and Emily and would be interested to see where the author takes it in the next installment.
A.Z. Green
So after a long time I've finally finished this novel and I'm glad I finally read it all. It was so worth the wait.

There are many things I liked about this book: it's originality, the description, the unwavering loyalty of friendship, the mind blowing world and the fight scenes. I even liked the cheesey romance because of the fact that this was written by a male author; if I hadn't known that when reading it and had been told afterwards I'd have been stunned. The romantic element is so gentle, i
Ken Mooney
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to read The Beholder: real life got in the way about three chapters in and I read nothing for a few weeks. I was grateful for a lengthy train journey then, which gave me the opportunity to give The Beholder the attention that it rightly deserves.

Amberlake crafts a classic tale of good versus evil, of light and dark, that takes parts of magical fantasy, parts of scientific fiction and parts of good old-fashioned action/adventure. The story follow Jason Walker as he is inducted
Chloe (Girl In The Woods Reviews)
<< Ebook copy provided by the author himself >>

I found The Beholder to be a very interesting and Ivan Amberlake's narrative writing is quite fascinating including his character descriptions as he creates them into an actual being. The story itself was a wonderful read and unpredictable (in a good way!) as Light and Dark clash against each other. And, here we have the middle man, Jason Walker who meets Emily for the first time.

I really liked the characters and how Amberlake wrote in
Lynxie
The Beholder is a tightly packed and well written fantasy story. It's quite youthful in its tone, but its content is too adult for the Young Adult genre.

I liked the male protagonist, Jason. Especially his mental battle and emotional and personal growth. Though the Insta-love bothered me a bit.

Emily is an interesting character, but I am not sure what to think of her. She seemed a little too good to be true to start, the at the end... Well I just don't know what to think.

The puzzles that still pla
Eli Constant
Amberlake’s The Beholder

Many times, I find meticulous buildup of imagery and plot forced and unnatural. I feel it takes a special author, a word-weaver if you will, to carry fifty cent words through a twenty dollar plot. Amberlake is such a special person. Although The Beholder did not instantly grab me, eventually it did and once it had me in its hold – it had me. I beheld it as vividly as it beheld me. I became.

The prologue would likely grab other readers right off the bat. The only reason I
Dyane Forde
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jumping into the world of The Beholder began with a refreshing jolt. No easing the reader into the back story, no time taken to explain the current context. Right from the opening scene, we are thrust into the midst of action. And what action! I was also happy to note that the writing itself was smooth and easy to follow, and the pacing of events unfolded at a good rate.

What I enjoyed the most about the novel were the following: 1) Amberlake describes some very difficult, abstract events quite
Sheri
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Beholder by Ivan Amberlake

Jason is an average New Yorker, but soon his world is about to turn upside down. People are going missing, all of them with a strange brand on their body. He meets a beautiful woman named Emily, she tells him an unbelievable story. Jason has powers deep inside of him that will be surfacing. He is special, not ordinary.

He soon finds out the world is filled with Light and Darksighted people. He must learn to use his powers, with Emily's help to prevent the Darkness fr
Boundless Book Reviews
When I first started reading, I was a little confused as to what was going on. I guess I felt just like Jason Walker, learning everything about this world and who he was going to be. As I got further into it, it left me intrigued and wanted to know more.

The cast of Characters were very well done. I had a lot of questions throughout but they were answered in the end and it totally made sense.

I did love the relationship of Emily and Jason. I was saddened by what happened but I'm hoping the sequel
Joseph Phillips
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not really into the Urban-Fantasy genre but this book really captured me and has slightly altered my view of Urban-Fantasy. Though I’m still not completely compelled to the lovey-dovey side…

The first third of the story, which is compiled of mostly action sequences and character development, there were some really tense situations for the main character, which was really - really good. Every time I put the book down, I would find myself picking it back up again as it was kept drawing me back
Becca
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
description

What is good and what is evil? What is right and what is wrong? What is the fine line that separates light from dark? Are their paths never meant to cross?

In Ivan Amberlake’s The Beholder you find so many answers to questions you were not aware you even had. And it leaves you wondering about the world we live in. This book grabs your attention from the moment you read the very first word in the very first line on the very first page.

AN ENTIRELY NEW WORLD!!
I was so sure that all the supernatural
Sandy S
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW: THE BEHOLDER is the first storyline in Ivan Amberlake’s Urban Fantasy series The Beholder. If you are a fan of storylines similar to The Matrix, a film based on the Sci-Fi novel Neuromancer by William Gibson, then The Beholder could be its literary counterpart in the UF genre.

The storyline focuses on Jason, a man who suffers from inexplicable painfully tactile dreams and nightmares that speak to him of danger, death and the battle between good and evil but his dreams are based in realit
Dianne
Complex, with intensely vivid scenes, The Beholder by Ivan Amberlake takes the reader down a dark and twisted journey into a world beyond our reality. We are invited to follow Jason on a path he reluctantly must follow as the world as he knew it will never be the same. Jason has fallen victim to inexplicable nightmares that end in death for those he dreams about. As he begins to question why he can’t rid himself of these horrific dreams, he discovers that somewhere in the world, real people are ...more
OpenBookSociety.com
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scott

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Scott

The Beholder is a distinctive “urban paranormal pulp;” bringing me back to my old Doc Savage adventure novels iced with movies like The Matrix and comics like Starman, of which it bears a striking similarity, both in pace and action. The writing was frenetic, a real page turner. If Robert Ludlum wrote urban fantasy this would surely be in his repertoire.

The book follows one Jason Walker’s journey into becoming a paranorm
Melissa Simonson
I don't read a lot of fantasy (a long way from it, normally) so I don't know whether I'm qualified to judge a book that falls within that genre, but I do know good writing when I see it. The author wove fantasy elements into a real-world setting in the beginning, and it helped a non-fantasy reader like me slip into the story quite easily, which is good--slowly sliding into a hot bath instead of submerging yourself immediately.

Some might say the book takes awhile to get going, but I didn't see i
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tanja (Tanychy) by: Becca
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

I have some sort of rule - like whenever some of my girls from Goodreads recommends a book to me I'll read it. No questions asked. Same is with this book. So thanks Becca for recommending it to me.

The Beholder might me a strange and interesting read to most of you. It deals with sort of different type of power. I got used to most of paranormal things so when I see something new I'm always happy to read it. The story here is that there are two worlds - Light
Jonel Boyko
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is intensely vivid. Amberlake plays with colour and tones in his descriptions to evoke and create emotion in the reader. The trippy storyline captured all of my attention. The story was intensely probing while also being completely entertaining. You learn about the world that Amberlake has created around our own along the way, right alongside one of the characters. The historical and mythologically significant aspects of this tale are provided to the reader without ever breaking the f ...more
Ted Cross
I normally don't explain my star rankings, since they are for myself and no one else, but since I know the author of this book I feel it necessary to explain. I've seen how most people on Goodreads and Amazon overrate almost everything--five stars for this and five stars for that, and that's just not the way I do things. I give three stars for books that I like, so that means even classics like War and Peace or Moby Dick will get three stars. Three stars is not meant be an insult--it means I LIK ...more
Tammie
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for a review.

The beholder was an interesting mix of sci-fi and urban fantasy that reminded me of The Matrix, which I found exciting because I haven't read any other books like that. The slowing down of time, the manipulation of objects, and the whole seeing past the illusion of what was reality on the surface was really cool. I would have loved to have read even more scenes like those in the book. However, while I liked the idea behind t
Kyra Halland
Urban fantasy about a regular guy, Jason, who discovers that the terrible nightmares he's been having are real. He discovers that he's linked to a group, existing undetected in our society, of people with supernatural powers, and that he is a key weapon in the fight against evil.

The magic is complex, and the story is suspenseful. At times it reads a little like a video game, with explanations from one knowledgable source or another of things Jason needs to know alternated with challenges that he
Sharon Orman
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a good paranormal thriller. In a world where most paranormal falls into the romance category finding something new and interesting is difficult. Ivan has done a fantastic job of creating something entirely original and spellbinding. I enjoyed every minute of it and cannot wait to see what happens in the next book.
Bit'N Book Tours
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

There are many things I liked about this book: it's originality, the description, the unwavering loyalty of friendship, the mind blowing world and the fight scenes. I even liked the cheesy romance because of the fact that this was written by a male author; if I hadn't known that when reading it and had been told afterwards I'd have been stunned. The romantic element is so gentle, in
chucklesthescot
*I was given a free copy of this book by the author via Goodreads in exchange for an honest review*

This book was unlike anything I have read before. It has subtle elements of urban fantasy, fantasy, paranormal, science fiction and thriller. It is impossible to decide where it fits and for that reason I think it should have a wide appeal. You don't have to be a big fan of any of these genres to enjoy the ride and that is pretty unique..I think I'd go 3.5 stars on this one if I could.

Jason's viole
Bethanie Armstrong
GENRE: Urban Fantasy

AUTHOR: Ivan Amberlake

TITLE: The Beholder (can be found on Amazon in Kindle and paperback)

Wow, I don’t know where to start. Mr. Amberlake, in my opinion, has created a literary masterpiece. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy novels. This book is deemed Urban Fantasy, which is perfect, because it takes place in New York and the many characters he has weaved through its pages are fascinating, but not any type of wizard or witch, demon or angel. They are un
Patricia Reding
I received this book as a free download from Amazon during the author’s promotion of the work. I thank the author for this opportunity.

At the outset, I note that there were few editing/grammar errors and thus, they are not accounted for in this review.

I suppose I would categorize The Beholder as urban fantasy. It is set in New York and its surrounds. The main character, Jason, is the “Beholder,” a magic figure of some sort. At the very end, we read that Jason “finally understood that there was
Mary Fan
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
In present day New York, Jason, an ordinary man with an office job at an interior design firm, learns that his nightmares are more than just bad dreams. In them, he sees a man of great evil, Pariah, pursuing a young woman with amber eyes. Both disturbed and intrigued, he soon finds out that the dreams are in fact supernatural visions, a glimpse into a supernatural world of light and dark energies.

Meanwhile, Jason hears reports of people around the world dying under mysterious circumstances. Each
Scott Toney
The Beholder by Ivan Amberlake is such an exquisitely written urban fantasy novel, with well thought out description and a plot that easily transports the novel’s fan base into Amberlake’s realm.

The author takes his time introducing us to concepts created for his story, concepts that at times reflect concepts in The Matrix movies, and at times are something much more and extremely enjoyable. Amberlake takes his time, and yet we are instantly thrust into action, kept rapt as we read.

In the begin
Claire Riley
I have to be honest. Ivan is a BHB member and as such I felt obliged to read his book. everyone had been telling me what a great writer he was, and I wanted to see for myself.

So, to begin.
When I started The Beholder, I quickly realised that this wasn't the usual book that I read. Now I pride myself on reading pretty much anything and giving all genres and styles of writing a read so on I read.
It all seemed so simple to me. Good V's evil. Dark V's Light etc etc then Bam! I was thrown a curve ba
Yannis Karatsioris
Here's to good writing!

In this flowing narrative that turns darker chapter by chapter, we follow Jason Walker, an interior designer living in New York. He's tormented by visions that come to him slashing his soul and, while he's unaware of their meaning, he's pulled in a maze of light vs darkness by someone he loves...

Author Ivan Amberlake has 'a way with words' and has put a great story together, which, fortunately for his fans, is only the first installment.
Watch out for the ending of THE BEH
Amber Rose
I started this story not knowing what to expect. I was very surprised it drew me in at the beginning till the end.

This has a old school feel about good vs evil. The characters are very well written. I like the aspect of a different paranormal feel I got, I never read anything like it before.

I think the writing was brilliant. Ivan explains things so that way you don't get lost and make the connection around you.

If you like paranormal then this is a book for you!

good vs evil photo: good vs evil good_vs_evil-1.jpg

Great Job!!!

I received a cop
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Mastered (The MASTERED Saga)
  • Evil Red (Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter, #2.6)
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and History (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #7)
  • Godhead (The Last Olympiad, #1)
  • Odium 1.5 (The Dead Saga, #1.5)
  • Peacemaker (The Flash Gold Chronicles, #3)
  • The Ark of Humanity
  • Skarlet (The Vampire Trinity, #1)
  • Fey.
  • The Arrival (The Eslite Chronicles, #1)
  • Call It Fate
  • The Junior Bridesmaid
  • Blackout (Darkness Trilogy, #1)
  • James Games
  • Lost in Starlight (Starlight Saga #1)
I write stories because they touch and excite me, and I need to put them down to share with my readers.
More about Ivan Amberlake

The Beholder (2 books)
  • Path of the Heretic (The Beholder, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
    $9.99 $2.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Darkness descends to eclipse the Light
Death will take the lives of many, sparing no one.
In deaths of the Doomed, Light shimmers:
The Light that will set the Beholder free.”
7 likes
“The only thing that holds you back is your certainty that your abilities are limited. You need to break that belief.” 4 likes