Start by marking “The Trouble with Virtue: A Comfortable Wife/A Lady By Day” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with Virtue: A Comfortable Wife/A Lady By Day

The Trouble with Virtue: A Comfortable Wife/A Lady By Day

#1 New York Times bestselling author Stephanie Laurens and rising star Alison DeLaine bring you two tales of passionate temptation…and decorum overthrown.

A Comfortable Wife

Miss Antonia Mannering has made plans that include her long-ago friend Lord Philip Ruthven. She knows Philip is popular with the ladies, but he has never married. Might he now be ready for a wife? If s
Published November 26th 2013 by Harlequin HQN

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble with Virtue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble with Virtue

Ilze
Jan 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
The Trouble With Virtue (2-fer) Stephanie Laurens' contribution, a reprint of an early book of hers called "The Comfortable WIfe", was written in the style of a "traditional Regency", but the characters and setting were so boring that I couldn't finish it.  Alison Delaine's contribution, called "A Lady By Day" was practically unreadable, besides being pure wallpaper, as in "wallpaper historical".
eyes.2c
Classic Laurens and Delightful DeLaine!

I have to say that these two stories make for a rewarding read.
A Comfortable Wife is an enjoyable addition to my readings by Laurens. I adore her works and have read them all. Each new offering is like a national treasure.
A Lady by Day won me over completely. An unusual storyline, great lead characters, guilty secrets, restrained emotion hiding volatile feelings. Not quite a regency pirate novel, although it does fit alongside that milieu, harkening as it d
Madenna U
Sep 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book is two stories in one. The first shows such promise to start and then hurries into nothing. I skimmed most of the end to get to the second book. It was only slightly better. I would have given it two stars if it stood alone. At least it had some interesting steamy scenes and a rather unique storyline.
C.
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Stephanie Laurens was her normal self, but I kept getting discombobulated with "A Lady By Day". Regency characters simply don't say "Whatever" or "Fine."
Αἰκατερίνη
The rating and shelves are a reflection of "A Lady By Day" because the book doesn't exist by itself on goodreads.com and I rated A Comfortable Wife on its page.
Neeuqdrazil
Silly cheesy romance.
Wordsworth
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This title is hard to rate because it contains two very different novellas. I say pick it up and read the second one only (about 31% of the entire book), as it was light years better than the first.

A Comfortable Wife was one of the dullest stories I've read lately, with awkward, repressed, stubborn characters who eventually get together after subjecting the readers to some stultifying balls and parties. 2 stars because at least it was grammatical.

A Lady By Day, on the other hand, takes that rep
BonnieL
Nov 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Stephanie Laurens story is vaguely part of the Lester family saga - by vaguely I mean that Jack and Harry are mentioned a few times. The rest is boring, not up to the standards of her earlier books and one needs to force oneself to read through the misunderstandings, miscommunication and general silliness. The second title "A Lady by Day" is terrible, unreadable and has no redeeming values.
Erin
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for my honest opinion. Since there are actually two stories in this book written by two different authors, I will review each story individually.

A Comfortable Wife: 3 Stars

I really thought that this book started off great. I haven't read any of the books in the series on which this book is based, but it didn't really seem to affect my understanding of the story in any way. So if you're in the same boat as I, just go ahead an
May Mostly Romance
Sep 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: historical
เลมนีรวมหนังสือ 2 เรืองไวดวยกัน แตรีวิวทีเขียนเปนของเรือง A Lady by Day ของ Alison DeLaine

เรานึกอยากใหตัวเองอานเลมนีเรวกวานีนะคะ เพราะหลังจากอานเรืองนีจบลงไป เรารูสึกเสียดายเงินอยางยิงทีซือหนังสือของนักเขียนคนนีมาตุนไวตังสามเลม แตคิดในทางทีดี งานเขียนของเธออาจจะพัฒนาขึนมา และถาเราไมซือสามเลมถัดจากเลมนีมาเกบไว เรากอาจจะไมคนพบเธอกได แตทีแน ๆ กคือ คงอีกพักใหญเลยละคะ กวาเราจะหยิบงานของนักเขียนคนนีมาอานอีกครัง

เราเคยบอกไปหลายครังนะคะวา สิงทีเลวรายยิงกวาหนังสือไมสนุก กคือหนังสือทีนาเบือ และเรืองนีกเข
Jessi
A Comfortable Wife by Stephanie Laurends
Nominally related to the Lester family stories, this particular book has Lord Philip Ruthven returning home, escaping from the hordes of matchmaking mamas. He' thirty-four and is starting to think about settling down, but wants to (like most Regency heroes) do so on his own terms. He arrives at home to find his stepmother's niece, his childhood playmate, Miss Antonia Mannering has arrived with her young brother. Apparently, after her father died, Antonia w
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it
The story itself was amusing in some regards. However, the blatant and obvious disregard for abstinence before marriage made the novel less appealing. It was premarital fun all around in both stories. Sadly, I cannot draw any moral from either of them. I scratched my head as a pondered what it could be; what the author is trying to convey. All I've gathered is that the author, perhaps, wished to confuse the reader with how the novel is worded. At times, I had to reread sections to catch what was ...more
Maria
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Stephanie Laurens’ “A Comfortable Wife" several years ago, so this review is only for the novella "A Lady by Day."

Josephine, a young widow, has happy memories of her brief time in the Mediterranean. She longs to live an unconventional life but is bound by society (as well as herself) to make amends for a youthful indiscretion. She is launching her two nieces into London society in the hopes that they will make better matches than she did.

Until Sir Noah Rutledge comes along, upsetting her
Joanna
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
The first few chapters between Phillip and Antonia are sweet and romantic. Phillip's attention to her is adorable. Then the last 2/3 of the book we get an annoying side story, a misunderstanding that is WAY over done, like way over, almost insulting for Laurens to have something so trite, and Phillip ends up being a puss. A lot of the misunderstanding would have been resolved if he wasn't such a wimp and acted like a true Alpha hero and took charge.
Elke
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical Romance
must read..because it is by Stephanie Laurens
Stephanie Laurens is the first historical writer I read. then completely fell in love with . Each book I read I love. Some of the series are a bit on the same (exact) theme, but still the writing is jun, romantic and steamy when need be.
Perfection on paper.
Everything written by Stephanie Laurens is a must read.
Rosetta
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
2 stars for A Comfortable Wife by Stephanie Laurens which is really surprising because I usually enjoy her books. I just couldn't get into these two characters Philip and Antonia. I really enjoyed the second novel A Lady by Day by Alison Delaine. I love Noah and Josephine! I give this novel 4 stars!
Harmony
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this in a goodreads giveaway. The first story, "A comfortable Wife" failed to impress me. It put me to sleep and I found none of the characters very likable. I would give that book a rating of 2 stars. The second story "A lady by Day" however, caught my attention. I loved the story line and the characters. I would give that one 4 stars, so I gave an overall rating of 3.
Janet Suarino
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
The Trouble with Virtue are 2 novels in one book. The Stephanie Lauren's book, A Comfortable Wife, was just OK. It's a reprint. Not one of her best. A bit boring.

The other novel by Alison DeLaine, a Lady By Day, was better.

Together I only gave them a 3 star rating.
C.A.
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Two Stories one by Stephanie Laurens and the other by Alison De Laine.

Always love books by Stephanie Laurens. cant get enough of them.

Alison De Laine never read her books before, but found hers was quite entertaining.
Sandra Freeman
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
A Lady by day was not very good.Hard to follow.
Clarke
Stars. Public Library 6/4/15. Started the first book but didn't strike my fancy... Maybe another time.
Karine
Katie Pierce
Oct 24, 2016
  • A Promise by Daylight
  • The Wedding of the Century & Other Stories
  • In the Flesh (Ladies' Sewing Circle, #5)
  • All I Want For Christmas is a Duke
  • Western Kisses
  • The Jade Temptress (The Pingkang Li Mysteries, #2)
  • Christmas in the Duke's Arms
  • Highlander Taken (Clan Mackenzie, #2)
  • What a Hero Dares (The Redgraves, #4)
  • The Winter King (Hawkenlye Mysteries #15)
  • A Regency Christmas: Scarlet Ribbons / Christmas Promise / A Little Christmas
  • Desire's Prize
  • Her Captain's Heart (Gabriel Sisters, #1)
  • Anne Perry's Silent Nights: A Christmas Beginning / A Christmas Grace (Christmas Stories, #5-6)
  • A Scandalous Regency Christmas
  • The Secret Princess (Protecting the Crown, #4)
  • Coming Home for Christmas: A Christmas in Paradise\O Christmas Tree\No Crib for a Bed
  • Christmas Keepsakes
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie