Start by marking “The Archived (The Archived, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Archived (The Archived, #1)

The Archived

(The Archived #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  23,229 ratings  ·  4,156 reviews
Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.

Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive. Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead,
Published January 7th 2014 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Archived, please sign up.
Corey Yes, this is YA, the protagonist is sixteen, and YA is typically marketed to ages 12-19. However, just because a book is targeted to a certain age…moreYes, this is YA, the protagonist is sixteen, and YA is typically marketed to ages 12-19. However, just because a book is targeted to a certain age range it doesn't mean an older person can't read it - a good story is a good story. It doesn't use a lot of the typical YA tropes, so I'm pretty sure an older person could enjoy. For younger kids, there isn't any sexual content or explicit language, but there is violence and darker themes.(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  23,229 ratings  ·  4,156 reviews

Start your review of The Archived (The Archived, #1)
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it

It might seem like my whole life revolves around victoria schwab but yes it does
Victoria Schwab
Jan 30, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Two years in my brain and more than a year putting it on the page properly. I can't wait to be able to share it.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This book was AMAZING. Everybody needs this book in their life. Do yourself a favor and pick this up ASAP.
Wendy Darling
I have to admit, it wasn't until the second half of the book that The Archived really started clicking together for me. I've heard that some people who read the extended preview online were unsure if they wanted to continue, and I can see why--but something about the writing was really appealing to me and I ended up having a great experience with it.

Here's what I liked about the book:

* Dead people who are kept on shelves like books? Sign me on! Awesome premise.
* I loved the eerie,
C.G. Drews
Oh yes hello, I think I am thoroughly doomed to adore everything written by Schwab. Everything omg. This book was incredible. It's so unique and the writing just hit me and the characters were all tortured and adorable and somewhat sassy -- AND QUITE FOND OF BAKED GOODS -- so basically I am Schwab trash and not even sad about it.

Also I hear the 3rd book is like...never ever coming out??? SLAY ME. (I ordered the sequel though, so let me read that, and then slay me.)

What really REALLY hit me (omg
Lola
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lola by: Liz
description

Thinking back, I don’t remember ever reading something quite like this story before. It was very creative and imaginative, I have to say. The concept refreshing and interesting to read about. Although, there were many things that didn’t work for me as well as they did for multiple other book lovers who read this mysterious looking book.

For being mysterious, that it sure was, especially at the beginning. I was eager to learn everything about the main character’s ability and the world-building,
Raeleen Lemay
*2.5*

HEAR ME OUT.

I really loved the intricate world that Victoria Schwab created, and her writing was great as usual. However. The plot fell so flat for me, and I couldn't bring myself to care about anything that was happening. One redeeming factor aside from the world building was WESLEY. I really loved him as a character and it made me sad that he wasn't a bigger part of the story.

I don't think I'll be continuing on with this series (trilogy? duology? who knows.), but I will definitely be
Regan
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
Victoria Schwab crafts another beautiful and unique story.

Plus, guyliner.
Simona Bartolotta
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Curiosity is a gateway drug to sympathy."

•Do you know when you start a book with preconceptions and you somehow end up liking/not liking the book exactly in the degree you knew you would? Well, I started this book with preconceptions. I liked just as much as I thought I would. That is, a lot.

•Since I am fairly sure you grew tired of my eulogies of Schwab's writing a long time ago, I redirect you to my reviews of A Darker Shade of Magic, A Gathering of Shadows and This Savage Song. Generally
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Edit: I had so much fun rereading this beautiful book. It was just what I needed. Victoria Schwab is definitely my favourite author. Everything she writes is so solid and fantastic. Can't wait to read book two in this series.

Victoria just gets me. She writes the kinds of books I desperately need in my life. Books with such unique plots and world-building. Books with characters that I attach myself to with my entire heart. Books that keep me up way past my bedtime because I just can't stop
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, owned
“Because the only way to truly record a person is not in words, not in still frames, but in bone and skin and memory.”

This was stunning.
I loved the beginning, the language, the setting and the whole concept. Victoria Schwab can do some real magic with words, which is why I loved this book even more. She is one of the most talented voices in fantasy/YA/science fiction literature and I am baffled and amazed by her writing. The Archived is such a beautiful collection of words. I can't get enough.

I
Lily ☁️
Two things:
1. Wesley Ayers is a ray of sunshine in this drab, gray world.
2. This reads like a more grown up version of City of Ghosts, and I’m here for it.

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | Tumblr |Twitter
Steph Sinclair
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Anna Dressed in Blood and murder mysteries
Actual rating: 4.5

I truly underestimated this book. You know how when you first read a book's blurb and it totally catches your attention as something different and unique? You know that feeling right afterwards that can only be described nothing short of "Gimme Syndrome"? Yeah, that's how I felt with The Archived. But for whatever reason, I got distracted and started picking up other books (you know how it is). Well, one day I was frolicking through my bookshelf, re-read the blurb and engaged
sreeja
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Ignorance may be bliss, but only if it outweighs curiosity. Curiosity is a gateway drug to sympathy.”
The Archived: 4.25 stars
Reasons why reading it was worth it:
•Victoria Schwab’s writing (so amazing <3)

photo adore_zps5crn3hpm.gif

yes somehow guyliner managed to squeeze and find a place in my heart

The Archived is a book that you learn to love more and more as time goes on. The beautiful descriptions and the spot on characters with flaws who get real time consequences for
Clumsy Storyteller

Amazing unique fantasy/paranormal story, The characters were great except *you know who, the two pure evil assholes* i Loved Mackenzie but i hated to her attitude toward her mother, i really did. her mom is going through a rough time, everyone is after Ben's death and Mackenzie was just acting strange and sensless! i kind of understood and sympthasied because i lost someone 5 years ago and let
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
My love for Victoria Schwab's books – and Wesley Ayers – knows no boundaries. This was so good. Now, excuse me while I go do my happy dance because this was my first 4-star read this year, the short stories not included (which is sad, but glass half full, am I right?).

Though published prior to her bestselling Darker Shade of Magic series, I picked up The Archived a lot later. It stands in the shadow of Schwab's more popular releases, and though it is far less hyped, The Archived has no reason
may ❀

Buddy read #1 with my favourite yam ever, Yammy aka Pragya

This masterpiece has got to be my all-time favourite Victoria Schwab book. *_*

description

It’s mystic, it’s creepy, it’s daunting, it’s absolutely brilliant!!

The Archived delves into the unknown world. Mackenzie Bishop has been a Keep for four years, stopping unfortunate Histories when the awake and guiding them back into the Archive. But her job is a secret, one that she must hide from the ones she loves with constant lies.

When Mackenzie’s
Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
!!!!!

I suppose it doesn't matter how they get out. All that matters is they do. And when they do, they must be found. They must go back.

The Writing and the Worldbuilding

So I'm low-key freaking out a little because my current WIP has some parallels to this (afterlife, dead younger brother the female Mc wants to bring back to life somehow, and mystical access to memories through touch) and I know I can never top the Schwab, so wish me luck

The first few chapters of this really didn't do it for
prag ♻
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to prag ♻ by: Izzy
It’s confusing, it’s heartstopping. And it’s so unbelieveably Schwab, if you know what I mean.

We are nothing but recorded moments.

There’s a reason I’m head over heels in love with her. The closest any author has come to this feeling Maggie Stiefvater, and while I’m more than happy to sell my firstborn for her, she just doesn’t have the magic Victoria Schwab does.

What if echoes through my head as I hunt.
What if haunts me through the Narrows.
What if follows me home.

You read any review for
Anja H.
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4 KEEPER STARS*

All hail Victoria Schwab and her active imagination!
This was another exciting and unique adventure and I can't wait to read more!
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
3.5*
I just didn't love it. I had been so super excited for this book when I first heard about it and I built up this idea in my head of what it was going to be and it just wasn't anything like that. I think had I have had lower expectations and no previous knowledge of the synopsis, I really would've liked this, but that just wasn't the case.
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Buddy read with the wonderful Chelsea

" What if I mess up? "
" Oh, you will. You’ll mess up, you’ll make mistakes, you’ll break things. Some you’ll be able to piece together, and others you’ll lose. That’s all a given. But there’s only one thing you have to do for me. "
" What’s that? "
" Stay alive enough to mess up again. "

See, I don't know if that's because :

a) I actually read a lot of slow-paced-kill-me-now books when I was in college - like this one, the riveting story of a man who decides
Merna
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Initial reaction when reading the blurb: Yeah, I sooo want to read this!

Reaction after finishing: meh...

Blurbs are one of the utmost misleading information to be given to a reader. Reading a blurb and thinking it sounds decent is like
Irene△⃒⃘➰
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
3.75/5

“Everything is valuable, in its own way. Everything is full of history.”

This was a very interesting read.
The plot and story is kinda easy to follow (except for some parts toward the end) and at the same time it intrigued me a lot.

I immediately liked that our girl, Mac had to restart her life after moving to a new place, the Coronado, following the death of her brother, Ben.
I have a thing with that concept and I always find very interesting reading and seeing how people live when
Kells Next Read
"Knowledge is power, but ignorance can be a blessing."

I'll be honest this started off a bit slow for me and I got a bit of trouble getting into it....but once I reached about half way through it picked up and I began to love this. Amazing concept and storyline with wonderful characters. I can't wait to move unto book two. Another great creation by Victoria Schwab.
Lucy Langford
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*** rounded up!

I loved how interesting this was. There’s supernatural elements and a sort of murder mystery as well as the mysterious workings of the Archive.

I definitely need to read the second book!
Elise (TheBookishActress)
my library!! has these!!
hillary
Jul 26, 2018 marked it as to-read
I added this book years ago and I want to read it so bad, but I’m not touching the series till we have more info about the third book *cries*
Lauren Lanzilotta
In conclusion, I’m doomed to love dead blonde characters. (*cries in The Raven Boys*)

It’s amazing how some authors have the imagination to create such vivid, unique proses for their novels. Everything about The Archive was mind blowing, I was constantly marvelling at the atmosphere, which had a subtle eerie aspect to it that I couldn’t get enough of.

V.E Shwabb’s eccentric
Poonam

This is my Book Of the Month- January 2017, with GR group- Nothing But Reading Challenges- Category: Young Adult BOM.

The concept of this book is splendid-- The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive. Imagine, every live ever lived, all the memories in a library, secured!
"The Outer, which you don't waste much breath on because it's everything around us, the normal world, the only one most people ever know about. The Narrows, a nightmarish place,

• Vengeful (Villains, #2)
  • Vicious (Villains, #1)
  • The Unbound (The Archived)
  • A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2)
  • A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
  • Warm Up  (Villains, #0.5)
  • King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Bone Houses
Victoria is the product of a British mother, a Beverly Hills father, and a southern upbringing. Because of this, she has been known to say "tom-ah-toes," "like," and "y'all."

She also tells stories.

She loves fairy tales, and folklore, and stories that make her wonder if the world is really as it seems.

The Archived (3 books)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • The Returned (The Archived, #3)
“What if I mess up?"

"Oh, you will. You'll mess up, you'll make mistakes, you'll break things. Some you'll be able to piece together, and others you'll lose. That's all a given. But there's only one thing you have to do for me."

"What's that?"

"Stay alive long enough to mess up again.”
321 likes
“Lying is easy. But it's lonely."
"What do you mean?"
"When you lie to everyone about everything, what's left? What's true?"
"Nothing," I say.