Start by marking “Hawkeye, Volume 3: L.A. Woman” as Want to Read:
Hawkeye, Volume 3: L.A. Woman

Hawkeye, Volume 3: L.A. Woman

(Hawkeye (2012) (Collected Editions) #3)

Kate Bishop heads to Los Angeles to get away from New York, life, and Clint Barton - but not away from trouble! Because Madame Masque is hanging out at poolside with the rich and famous as well! As Kate helps a reclusive and Sixties-damaged pop music genius find his lost masterpiece, Madame Masque finds Kate. By which we mean starts trying to kill her again. This one has i ...more
Published October 8th 2014 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Hawkeye, Volume 3, please sign up.
Paolo Mortel Because this series is a solo series shared by two characters, and each issue always focuses on just one of them. So Vol 3 collects all of the issues …moreBecause this series is a solo series shared by two characters, and each issue always focuses on just one of them. So Vol 3 collects all of the issues about Kate Bishop, while the other volumes so far have collected all of the ones with Clint Barton. They are both Hawkeyes.(less)

Start your review of Hawkeye, Volume 3: L.A. Woman
Anne
description

I was kind of nervous about this one, but, it turns out, I like Kate's stories just as much as Clint's.

Oh, don't get all pouty, Barton! I still love you...
description

So it starts off with Kate deciding she's had enough, packing her bags, swiping Clint's extremely disloyal dog, and heading out to L.A. to start over.

description

And then everything just goes to shit.
Her credit cards are declined, her stuff gets stolen by minionesque Bellboys, and Madame Masque invites her over for a cup of Death!
Muahahahahahahahahah
Jeff
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
Who said super hero comics have to deal with super heroic deeds to be entertaining? Fortunately, not Matt Fraction.

Kate Bishop, formerly of the Young Avengers, has had enough of Clint Barton’s shenanigans and decides to take Lucky (aka Pizza Dog) and move to Los Angeles. Things quickly go awry. She loses everything - money, car, her weaponry - and ends up babysitting a cat, in a trailer, down by the river (okay, it’s the ocean. Work with me here!).

Los Angeles isn’t exactly a hot bed of superher
Kemper
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, comics, superhero, marvel
Hawkeye goes to LA. Maybe they’ll reform the West Coast Avengers?

Not likely as this isn’t Clint Barton. It’s the other Hawkeye, Kate Bishop. After Kate gets tired of Clint’s messy personal life turning him into a grumpy bastard, she takes Lucky the pizza dog and heads to LA to get some space. However, since she’s an Avenger (Or practically an Avenger as she often has to clarify.) Kate soon finds herself on the bad side of Madame Masque as well as having her finances cut off by her rich father. R
Sam Quixote
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Clint Barton aka Hawkeye screwed up. No surprises there, but this time his protege, Kate Bishop aka Hawkeye, has had enough. She’s leaving New York for the West Coast, and she’s taking Lucky aka Pizza Dog with her. Together, they’ll set up an unlicensed private detective agency and Kate will strike out as: the West Coast Avenger!

When Kate left to be her own person and left Clint behind, the series literally became split with Matt Fraction writing one issue of Clint, then one issue of Kate, and
Sesana
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
This volume feels quite different from the first volume, which is because it's all Kate and no Clint. Kate has basically gotten sick of Clint and run off to LA, where she... sort of opens an adorable detective agency and, like, finds stolen orchids. Like I said, quite a tone shift. If Kate weren't so funny and earnest and determined, I probably would have gotten bored, even annoyed. But honestly, I'd watch her do just about anything. But it's very, very lightweight through most of the book. This ...more
Lono
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not much this guy can add to the long list of positive reviews for this one. Sam pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. Right down to the Elliot Gould shout out. Before going into this one you should know that Clint is pretty much M.I.A. from the book. Don’t let deter you from checking this out, but I was a little disappointed not to see a bit more of him.

description

So Kate and Pizza Dog take off for the west coast to start somewhere fresh. Easier than it sounds for a broke kid new to L.A. Kate has
Bradley
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Okay, okay, so Kate is actually the real Hawkeye. I'm getting the hang of this character, finally. It's not like I had much to go on besides the two Avengers movies.

I stopped reading and exclaimed something vile when I got to the scene when Barton said something about wearing shirts like that makes him look like the guy who winds up dead, later. I didn't realize the comics people were planning that little bit of chicanery that far back before Age of Ultron. Or was it an accident that just got p
Chris
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
I'm possibly the only person in the world who doesn't care for Matt Fraction's Hawkeye series. Well, Matt Fraction's Clint Barton, at least. His Kate Bishop, on the other hand, i've got plenty of time for. So when I found out there was a whole volume focusing on Hawkeye No. Two One and her own adventure, I came back quicker than a boomerang arrow.

Books such as LA Woman were responsible for the amount of Marvel trades I used to buy and this one still holds up almost three years later. The humour
Liam
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS WAS AMAZING.

KATE BISHOP IS AMAZING.

THE ART WAS AMAZING.

THE CHARACTERS ARE AMAZING.

THE HUMOUR WAS AMAZING.

Ughhh everything about this was just so amazing! I desperately wanted to give it 5 stars but I feel as thought the ending is holding me back from doing so as it felt a little rushed and it was difficult to grasp what was going on. Overall, this was pretty fantastic and I think it's safe to say that I've found a new favourite female marvel character!!
Dan Schwent
Kate Bishop is the Young Avenger with the bow and arrow. This is what she does when she's not Avenging.

Annual 1 - Kate and Lucky leave town for the West Coast. Madam Masque looks to settle a score.

Well, I didn't like this issue very much. Javier Pullido just isn't David Aja. Also, I'm not sold on Kate as a lead just yet. Still, it was cool to see Madam Masque try to get revenge on Kate.

14 - Kate reinvents herself as a private eye and goes looking for orchids. She also is flat broke.

After annua
Gavin
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
GIRL POWER!

OK, I wish I'd had this for Pink Taco week...I also suggest everyone read this.
Kate 'Girl Hawkguy' Bishop, the OTHER Hawkeye, well sort of, is sick of Clint Barton (the real Hawkguy) so she moves to LA to start all over again.

What follows is a really funny and enjoyable read through her bumbling adventures in LALA Land.

Madame Masque shows up as her main antagonist, who kinda runs the show, like spiderwebs, she's connected to all of it.

There's jokes about Lars Ulrich, stealing music, c
Katiria
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-books
*** Review Hawkeye, Volume 3: L.A. Woman on Kati's Bookaholic Rambling Reviews ***

This book was really amazing! Plus this book is solely on the kick-ass Kate Bishop who I absolutely love and enjoy reading about her, and her little adventure she had at L.A. What can I say Kate Bishop is the best Lady Hawkeye Ever! Kate decided to leave New York and go visit L.A. because she was getting sick of Clint aka Hawkeye attitude so she went on to L.A. for a little v
Nikki
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
This volume of Hawkeye collects a bunch of issues about the younger, cuter Hawkeye, Kate Bishop. What I kinda don’t get is how much like Clint she acts — she’s not the serious, dedicated leader of the Young Avengers here at all (and she doesn’t once that I can think of contact any of her team). The volume is mostly made up of new characters, aside from Kate and the antagonist, Madame Masque.

It’s fun, and the art is okay — I don’t like it as much as Aja’s — but I like Kate Bishop self-assured and
Cheese
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was different from vol. 1 & 2.

I wasn't hot on the character of Kate. I found it unrealistic that a teenage girl could knock out and break bones of grown henchmen.

However, later on it does become a lot more realistic. She gets her ass given to her a number of times. Trial and error by fire.

She's grown on me.

It builds a better picture of the overall flow of the story as well and they pick and choose heartfelt characters and stories for her to work with which is really refreshing.

I'm look
Jesse A
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Didn't enjoy this one as much as the first 2 volumes. Somewhat disappointing. Sad to see the David Aja art missing from this one too.
Mike
I wasn't really grooving on this book when I first picked it up - like most of my shallow compatriots said, "where the fuck did Hawkguy go?"

By the time I finished it though, I was pretty enchanted by this seeming-diversion away from our battered hero.

Check it out - here's an interesting theory:
- read as a story uninterrupted by any knowledge of what's going on back on the East Coast (i.e. from Kate's point of view), this is a story of growing up fast, and seeing how easy it sounds to be a better
Anthony
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel-now
Kate Bishop moves to the West Coast to try life on her own. She manages to get a job as a PI, even though she's not technically an official PI with a licence, but that doesn't stop her from trying really hard. She also spends a lot of time dealing with her nemesis - Madame Masque. Since volume 1 when Kate embarrassed Madame Masque and pretended to be her, Masque has had it in for Kate. Fraction has built a pretty cool feud between these two.

The regular artist for the Kate Bishop issues is Annie
Justin Sorbara-Hosker
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
OK, people are gonna come at me with pitchforks, but I didn't find this nearly as compelling as 1 & 2. I miss David Aja's art, first of all - & dividing the storyline up so there's no Clint is a bit of a drag. I understand he alternated between Clint/Kate when the issues released, but I like him more than her (don't call me sexist - I just know him better and like him more).

Also, setting up a detective agency and running into Elliot Gould and Brian Wilson/Jerry Garcia? Not as interesting as clo
Ashley
Didn't like this one as much as the previous ones, but not because of lack of Clint (although I did miss him), but more because I didn't really like the bad guy in this one.

This one entirely follows Kate in her adventures in L.A., but nothing happens like she thinks it will. When she gets there and tries to check in to her hotel, her card is declined, and her car repossessed. And the nice woman who helps her out and takes her to lunch turns out to be Madame Masque, Kate's relatively recent new
Bhanuj
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was okay. The first two volumes were marvellous, but this third one, didn't strike the right cords. It was dull, boring with too too many dialogues, which was a complete opposite of the previous two volumes.

The artwork was also average at best. There was nothing that would woo your senses. Half of the time, the dialogues got so boring that I had to skip pages and pages. The ingenuity shown in first two volumes was lost here. The humor was dry as if someone has taken the sauce out of pasta.

T
David Schaafsma
I liked the first two volumes more than this one, which focuses on Kate Bishop, the female Hawkeye. The first two volumes had sharper writing, sharper dialogue… This Hawkeye has energy, spunk, pizazz… and I wasn't very into it. Different artist… for different Hawkeye focus and thus different effects? Maybe. But didn't like the art quite as much. Still, Matt Fraction has a fine series here. I'l stick around and see if I like it more again.
Agnė
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Hawkeye fans
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

Matt Fraction’s “Hawkeye, Vol. 3: L.A. Woman” is a collection of issues #14, 16, 18 and 20 of Hawkeye comic book series plus the first issue of Annual. Hawkeye’s talented but spoiled teenage protégé Kate Bishop got tired of Clint Barton’s, that is Hawkeye’s, drama so she left for Los Angeles and took with her Lucky the Pizza Dog. But on the West Coast things are not perfect either. Kate gets dead broke and tries to make ends meet working as a private investigator. On top of that
Doctor
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, avengers
I have been re-reading these HAWKEYE TPBs before bed, as a) they're a heckuva lot of fun, b) I've read them before, and c) I won't need to re-read them the next morning because I forgot what I read before I fell asleep. Peachy keen!

Outside of my wife, no one is really that close to me, 'cept maybe our dogs, Fez and Gracie, but neither of them reads. If you were to know me, you'd know that Matt Fraction's run on HAWKEYE is one of my favorite comic reads ever!

This volume brings the focus on Katie
Chantaal
This continues to be one of the best books in the Marvel line up right now, and I'm kind of devastated that it will be ending soon.
Dayla
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Two words: Kate Bishop.
Emily
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
I know, right?? I loved Kate Bishop in the first two Hawkeye volumes, but I am now convinced that Matt Fraction is incapable of writing a competent protagonist. The stories in this collection make it look like I could be Hawkeye. When Kate has to face off with two goons, they just beat her up without breaking a sweat--kind of like if I tried to take on two grown men without any kind of plan or special training.

It's especially odd because Kate saves Clint about a zillion times in the earlier sto
Miguel
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel
Wait... no Clint Barton? ...no David Aja? Well after read it, i can say its still a pretty damn good read! I love Kate. She's so strong, funny, smart and beautiful! Cant wait to read more about her!
The art fits the story and the character very very well!
Matt brakes every super hero story cliché in this volume! Loved it!
Crystal Starr Light
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhero, marvel
Bullet Review:

Decently written (not a fan of Pulido's art - or is it Wu's? Now I'm not certain whose it is, but I liked Aja's of the earlier volumes), but I think it was hella confusing (the Madame Masque storyline grew crazy insane by the end) and weird that it was about Kate Bishop instead of Clint Barton.

Still better than some I've read.
Elly
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ilu Kate Bishop.
C. Varn
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fraction moves away from David Aja's artwork, and from Clint Barton. Instead, here, we follow Kate Bishop escaping to LA to run. The fill-in artist on the original Kate Bishop versus Madame Masque returns, and while the stylistic choices are consistent with some of the aims of Aja, Javier Pulido's style reduces action to the point that it is somewhat hard to follow. When Fraction works with Annie Wu, a similar 70s style is used, but Wu's figure work is less cartoonish and far more expressive. Fr ...more

• Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Vol. 1: Anchor Points
  • Moon Knight, Vol. 2: Dead Will Rise
  • West Coast Avengers, Vol. 2: City of Evils
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Generation Why
  • Daredevil, Volume 5
  • Thor, Volume 2: Who Holds the Hammer?
"How he got started in comics: In 1983, when Fraction was 7 years old and growing up in Kansas City, Mo., he became fascinated by the U.S. invasion of Grenada and created his own newspaper to explain the event. "I've always been story-driven, telling stories with pictures and words," he said.

Education and first job: Fraction never graduated from college. He stopped half a semester short of an art

Hawkeye (2012) (Collected Editions) (6 books)
  • Hawkeye, Volume 1: My Life as a Weapon