Start by marking “Never Too Late to Go Vegan: The Over-50 Guide to Adopting and Thriving on a Plant-Based Diet” as Want to Read:

A persuasive body of research from the past 30 years has uncovered a long list of plant food factors that protect against the cell damage and chronic inflammation that are underlying causes of cancer, high blood pressure, Alzheimer s disease, and atherosclerosis. These are exactly the conditions that millions of baby boomers are diagnosed (or already contend) with daily. N ...more
Published January 28th 2014 by The Experiment (first published January 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Never Too Late to Go Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Too Late to Go Vegan

Lisa Vegan
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who’s not yet vegan, especially those who are over 40
So, I’ve loved all of Ginny’s books, and have also enjoyed/admired Carol Adams’s and Patti Breitman’s work. This book is another winner, and is geared toward an important demographic. I consider Ginny a friend and am proud to call her friend. She’s a lovely person and has done so much good for the animals, and for helping people become vegan and helping them be as healthy as possible on vegan diets.

I wouldn’t normally have had this book at the top of my radar given that I went vegan long before
Julie  Durnell
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a great starter book for someone wanting more information on eating vegan/healthier and especially for people 50+. There are great tips/recipes and the health aspects seem sound. I really liked that the authors did not come off as morally superior because they are vegan; looking askance at those who do eat meat, dairy,and eggs- instead they are encouraging, informative and supportive.
Lindsey
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lindsey by: Virginia Messina
I bought this book for my mom for her 60th birthday, but of course I read it before giving it to her, and I ate it right up. I love books by Ginny, who has such well-educated, low-stress nutritional advice and by Carol Adams, who always seems to have delicious recipes and calm, loving advice in her books. This book is the first of its kind. I don't believe I've read any book before that talks about how to eat vegan in assisted living situations or how to handle being vegan if you are a caretaker ...more
Holly
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
I'm not yet in the age group of her intended audience, but I read Adams's Sexual Politics of Meat in college and think this will be an interesting book -
Dana
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: health-and-diet
This book contains some good information about why a vegan diet is healthy and why it can help you to be healthy even after the age of 50. The book is well-written and easy to read and I did learn some things from it. I was not thrilled, however, with the recipes because they rely on fake meat, fake milks and other fake food highly processed products. I think that the concept of eating a vegan diet sounds great, but I also want to eat whole foods and avoid processed foods, soy and GMOs. I have y ...more
Terri Palermo
The more I read, the clearer it becomes that this is what's best for me. This book would be a good resource for anyone...it's not over the top for those over 50...more along the lines of it's never too late to make changes to improve your health and life.
Lesley Looper
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, vegan, food
This was a good read with lots of interesting information. Some of the sections seemed a little long (like the caregiving section), but others may connect. Good advice on how to deal with family and friends who might feel uncomfortable. (The advice often includes. "Let me bring a dish to contribute!") Good encouragement and reminder that it's never too late to improve the food intake.
Anthony Brian Butler
Informative and perfect for those who are considering a plant based diet in your middle of later years.
Carla Turcotte
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for those thinking about going vegan, new vegans, or for those just wanting to learn a few new things about the positive aspects of being vegan.
Bernadette
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Bernadette by: Found while searching new vegan releases
Excellent book. Makes very convincing points on why it is never too late to change one's lifestyle, including eating, to more mindful, compassionate choices for our fellow animals, the environment and one's own health. Includes a good collection of recipes to get newbies started on eating vegan, with tips on easily adapting non-vegan recipes to vegan. Includes testimonials from the authors on their vegan journeys, as well as from others, some of whom contributed to the recipe collection. My favo ...more
Cheri
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-nutrition
A well written, useful book for those interested in moving to a plant-based diet. In addition to what you'd expect (basic nutrition and recipes, tips for dining out, online resources), the book addresses the particular needs of people over the age of 50, such as dealing with adult children who are upset by your change in diet; working with the food staff at a retirement community to get plant-based meals; and the challenges of care-giving and being cared for. Overall, both thoughtful and inspiri ...more
Coleen
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read in spurts. Not only recipes and the health reasons to go vegan, but great advice on handling different situations such as the caregiver role for someone who does not eat vegan. Using common sense and compassion, the authors lay the groundwork for the new vegan and how to accept and forgive yourself if you cannot make it 100% vegan right out of the starting gate. Like so many of the books I read, I got this from my local library. It is one of the few that I'm willing to buy for my ow ...more
Allyson Faith
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I have been a vegetarian for many years (actually, a pescitarian, since I occasionally eat fish). I am now moving into veganism, having read more about factory farming and the dairy and chicken industries. Even so-called compassionate farming and "cage free" hens are lies, and this book has opened my eyes. For me, new to veganism, it has good, solid information, many suggested websites and book titles, and tasty-sounding recipes.
Emily
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
A good basic intro to vegan life, but also a lot of anecdotal filler. Makes its claim to elder status by including chapters on care taking and retirement homes. Many upper middle class assumptions about available resources.
Astrid
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Not much new for the existing vegan, but had quite a bit of helpful stuff wanna-be vegans, especially for seniors, like how to deal with veganism in the retirement home or hospital and such. The recipes looked easy to make and I'll try some of them.
Roland
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good for someone who has not read other vegan books.
Barbara
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was so great to read that becoming Vegan at any age is a great idea. Lots of answers to my many questions and many good ideas for recipes. I am so glad that I found this book!
Susan
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I got a few recipes from the book that seem promising, and it had some good info for people who want to change their diet.
Elijah Olson
Linda
Oct 03, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Living
  • The 30-Day Vegan Challenge (New Edition): The Ultimate Guide to Eating Healthfully and Living Compassionately
  • Get It Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living
  • But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan!: 125 Recipes to Win Everyone Over—Picky kids will try it, hungry adults won't miss meat, and holiday traditions can live on!
  • Vegan Express
  • Unprocessed: How to Achieve Vibrant Health and Your Ideal Weight
  • The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Ways to Cook Allergy-Free-Without Dairy, Wheat or Meat
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • Rawsome Vegan Baking: An Un-cookbook for Raw, Gluten-Free, Vegan, Beautiful and Sinfully Sweet Cookies, Cakes, Bars & Cupcakes
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Know to Be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
  • Happy Herbivore Light & Lean: Over 150 Low-Calorie Recipes with Workout Plans for Looking and Feeling Great
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • Living Vegan for Dummies
  • The Artful Vegan: Fresh Flavors from the Millennium Restaurant
  • Vegan Fire & Spice: 200 Sultry and Savory Global Recipes
Carol J. Adams is a feminist-vegetarian theorist and author of books on eco-feminism and the links between species oppression and gender oppression.