Start by marking “Jack of Hearts (A Novel of the Seven Courts, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jack of Hearts (A Novel of the Seven Courts, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Jack of Hearts (A Novel of the Seven Courts, #1)

Slave. Loner. Assassin.
Some boys throw their hearts away. Jack let a witch take his.
He surrendered it long ago to the Lady of Twilight so that he would never feel heartache-or anything else-again. But there was a price. The Lady transformed him into a callous hunter forced to do her bidding, and now she's commanded him to chase down and kill a thieving wizard named Morib
Published April 30th 2013 by Bell Bridge Books

To ask other readers questions about Jack of Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack of Hearts

Lisa
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have known Ricardo Bare for many years. I couldn't wait to read this, but I was also a little nervous: what would I say if I didn't like it?

No need to worry! Bare does an amazing job constructing Jack's world. Jack's background is mysterious. He's troubled, but why? (You'll find out.) He also writes a unique and imaginative take on the damsel in distress.

The real test for me (and the reason I waited several weeks between finishing the book and writing the review) is that most books disappear f
Jim
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me, there's always that scene in a story that grabs me, sucks me in, and makes me want to see it through. In "Jack of Hearts," it was when the giant ate the mule.

Aside from King's "The Dark Tower" series, I haven't read fantasy in 20 years. Bare's "Jack of Hearts" has me wondering what other great fantasy tales I've missed. I can't wait for book two.
Michael Manning
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wistful and intriguing story about a young man named Jack. I thoroughly enjoyed the tale and I look forward to see what the future has in store for him, whether he meets his fate, or finds his destiny.
T. Bakutis
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jack of Hearts is a straightforward adventure story with a small cast, a decision that works in its favor, and the globe-trotting nature of the book gives us lots of fun world building. The lore involving the Courts, magic and hearts, and the flora and fauna of the world was well explained and felt original. I particularly liked Mr. Bare's take on dwarves!

The book is, at its core, a cross-country chase involving the cast. We meet three different protagonists--Jack, the boy assassin with no heart
Wendy C
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jack of Hearts by Ricardo Bare

Jack of Hearts by Ricardo Bare is about a pale skinned boy named Jack who has given his heart to the Lady of Twilight in exchange for not feeling anything anymore. The Lady of Twilight agrees and changes Jack into a heartless, unsympathetic hunter. The Lady of Twilight tells Jack to find Moribrand (a magician) and kill him. Jack of course obeys the Lady. On his journey finding Moribrand, he is captured by men who work for a Salt Baron named Jacosta and they take hi
C.E.
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, teen
Jack of Hearts by Ricardo Bare hooked me with its beautiful cover art and the tagline - “Some boys throw their hearts away. Jack let a witch take his.” Yes, I bought the book for its cover which is never a good idea unless you will be satisfied with owning a small piece of art, however, in this case, the contents of the book lived up to the promise of the cover. Lucky me!

The book is essentially a chase scene as the titular character, Jack, at the behest of the Lady of Twilight pursues the wizard
Katie
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, won
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I don’t generally read books about alternative worlds and magic, but I thought this book looked interesting and I loved the premise. Overall, I enjoyed the story and thought the characters were unique and engaging. I thought Bare did a good job of describing Jack’s world and his various encounters and adventures on his journey.

As for the book, I thought that the opening did a great job of getting your attention. It outlined who Jack wa
Carrie
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, own
I picked this up as part of the Kindle Daily Deals, and I'm glad I did. The story was engrossing and enough was kept a mystery and enough revealed at different times to keep you interested.

The main character is a young boy, though I wouldn't really call this a YA novel. The world it was set in seemed quite interesting, though it wasn't fully fleshed out over the course of the story and I'd look forward to hearing more about it in future books. The system of magic is interesting and unique, thoug
Amery Baker
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I was excited to read this due to the reviews, but I am surprised that the reviews were so glowing. It was original story and I did finish it. Along the way, however, I was often bored by the story as the characters were very predictable and the story slow moving. Moribrand was shallow and then at the end has a character shift which doesn't really fit. Jack claims that he can not feel, but if you can't feel how do you know right from wrong?- which he obviously does. And how do you have feelings ...more
Andi
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
3.5 stars. I don't read much fantasy anymore, but I enjoyed Jack of Hearts. The story follows Jack's hunt for the magician, Moribrand, at the request of the Lady of Twilight.

But even though Jack has no heart--literally (he gave it to the Lady)--he shows heart in his actions along the way. He discovers the Oracle, Cassandra, held in a mirror, and takes her with him on his journey.

While this reads as a young adult novel, there were some violent things that occurred, like the giant, Minnow, eating
Debra
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 star rating

** Received from GoodReads first reads giveaway.

I loved the description of this book. It sounded very intriguing and interesting. It proved to be both of these things. A very good debut novel from Ricardo Bare. The characters are well written and developed. The story was interesting. Jack gives away his heart to the Lady of Twilight (instantly I wanted to know why? What does he not want to feel?). He is in pursuit of Moribrand and finds Cassandra (a girl trapped in a mirror(how di
Sharon
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't really reads books where the characters are in their teens as it's hard for me to relate since I'm... well let's just say older. I bought the book when it was the Kindle Daily Deal, since it was a good price and the story line hooked me in spite of the characters being young. Not sure what I was expecting but... Loved it! I am not a writer and can't go into what makes these characters and story a wonderful read from a literary point. I can just say from an avid fantasy reader I enjoyed t ...more
Niffer
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, fantasy
I received this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I really enjoyed this book. It was a good, solid fantasy with well crafted characters and an interesting and unique plot. I've read a number of books recently that were not nearly as well crafted and this was truly a breath of fresh air. Definitely recommended.
Angie
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack's story is exciting, heart-breaking, and mysterious. The creative, diverse characters completely come to life throughout this epic tale - the girl in the mirror, the giant, the Salt Barron... Absolutely loved reading Jack of Hearts and can't wait to see what happens in Book 2!
Lisa
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Held my attention. Had to stay up until I finished which is one of my criteria for a good book. Good pacing. Fairly nice character development, although Moribund the Wizard was a bit overdone. But I'm looking forward to the next book.
Janelle
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
2.5/5
A little disappointing. There are definitely some creative elements, but, in general, the world, characters, and plot are all underdeveloped. It isn't a bad book, but it certainly isn't memorable.
Brian Ivester
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book with incredible characters. If you enjoy fantasy novels, pick this one up. Ricardo has a real knack for creating new worlds and pulling you into them. Looking forward to the follow up.
Annette
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really a fresh voice in fantasy...I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
Marya
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This plot was so familiar, I thought perhaps I'd read it in the past?? Also, this must be the 1st book of a series, which I wasn't aware of, and the book leaves everything unresolved.
Kiki
An excellent read with characters who surprise and grow in complexity and a world that does the same. Am looking forward to the next one.
Kelley
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is a bit on the dark side. A fantastical tale that in a way reminded me of Arabian Nights tales. I enjoyed the adventure and mystery of the story.
Emma
Lily
Apr 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Jinxed
  • Sword's Call (The King's Riders, #1)
  • Amarok
  • After the Summerland (The Witches of Spring Hill, #1)
  • Scarlette: A Gothic Folktale
  • Bonded (ShadowLight Saga, #1)
  • The Pale Hand of God (The Paruus Histories, #1)
  • Fey.
  • The Twilight Swimmer
  • Shine Light (Night Creatures, #3)
  • The Hierophant (The Arcana Series #1)
  • Heir to the Lamp (Genie Chronicles #1)
  • Zero's Familiar Omnibus 1-3
  • Legend of the Book Keeper (Lost City Chronicles, #1)
  • Through Rain and Missing Mantaurs (Elemental Rain #1)
  • The King of Blades
  • True Form (True Form, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Sam and Alex: The Girl Without A Past
Ricardo Bare was born in Madrid, Spain, the son of an American fighter jet mechanic and a Spanish damsel. Roman aqueducts, crumbling castles, Moorish arches, churros and chocolate, and carving slices off a leg of jamon serrano that hung next to his aunt's kitchen door are still etched in his childhood memory.

It was probably finding an old copy of John Carter of Mars in his grandfather's attic tha