Start by marking “The Eclipse of the Century” as Want to Read:
The Eclipse of the Century

The Eclipse of the Century

While recovering from a near death experience, Keith travels deep into Asia to visit a strange town he felt himself to be in whilst he was ill.
Published April 16th 1999 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Eclipse of the Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eclipse of the Century

Roz Morris
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: afterlife
Quirky and unforgettable. A man has an accident and while unconscious has an out-of-body experience. When he recovers he sets out to find the place for real. Full of poetic imagination; the land he travels to could be an afterlife, but is not like any afterlife you have read about before. The characters he encounters draw him into a bizarre adventure. I'd say the novel is slow to get going, and with my writer hat on I'd say the early part could have been streamlined a lot. Jan Mark would probabl ...more
Samantha
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Many people purport to glimpse heaven during a near death experience for Keith Chapman it is Qantoum he sees. When he realises it is a real place he wants to know more and about the mysterious statement "Go now, we'll meet again … under the black sun, at the end of a thousand years".

My initial impressions after reading the first half of this book is that it would struggle to maintain the attention of many young adults at which this novel is aimed, it certainly struggled to maintain mine as an ad
Miriam Joy
I've read this book before, but it was a long time ago and I think a lot of the details were lost on me at that age. (Although it claims to be a children's book. I would probably disagree.) It's a weird one -- a sort of Night Vale-esque surreal desert town combined with fear about the millennium, which I barely remember but have heard about, and an odd collection of characters.

It's a little odd though, in that it doesn't end with a conclusion to the events you THINK are at the centre of it, and
Robina Fox
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superb and haunting book. The pace is deliberately slow – the sense is of a place where people wash up and wait – where nothing happens but something always seems on the verge of happening. Amazingly atmospheric – one of the best books I have ever read.
Imre Oks
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow! As it said on the blurb, this book really was a delightful read!After an unsure, uneasy start, new little interesting features pop up. Great amount of science fiction from 2 thirds in, right about my style!
Struan
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Totally weird story line with barely any ending or closure. Still evoked a concept of time and exploration that really inspired me as a younger reader. Very mature ideas for a supposedly young book! Would recommend to anyone looking for something off the beaten path!
Sofi
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A book that you will find nothing to compare with.
Julia
Aug 24, 2013
Matthew Smith
rated it did not like it
Jun 09, 2016
Jan 05, 2015
Michelle Haglund
Oct 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
British children's author and two time winner of the Carnegie Medal, Janet Marjorie Mark also taught art and English in Gravesend, Kent, was part of the faculty of Education at Oxford Polytechnic in the early 1980s and was a tutor and mentor to other writers before her death from meningitis-related septicaemia.

Meet the author
What is your favourite animal?
The noble rat
What is your favourite boy’s