Start by marking “Tristan and Iseult” as Want to Read:
Tristan and Iseult

Read Book

Tristan and Iseult

In a land of fog and desperate tribes, Tristan fights to protect western Briton from Saxon invaders. In the wake of battle, he returns to Kernow bearing grave news, and the order of power shifts. As Tristan defends the west, his uncle, King Mark, faces enemies to the east beyond the sea: the Irish Bloodshields. Mark is determined to unite the tribes of Briton and Ireland a ...more
Published April 28th 2013 by Quinn Publications

To ask other readers questions about Tristan and Iseult, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tristan and Iseult

Lyn (Readinghearts)
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who love a beautiful story. Especially good for younger readers learning about the myth.
Recommended to Lyn (Readinghearts) by: Sisterhood of the Traveling Book
J.D. Smith's recently published adaptation of Tristan and Iseult is a delightful read. She has a way of telling the tale that makes you really feel empathy for all of the characters involved. At one point, the pain and longing of Tristan, Iseult, and yes, King Mark almost brought me to tears. The story is told through chapters that alternate between Tristan's view of things and Iseult's. I really like when author's use this device as I like seeing and feeling how the different characters feel ab ...more
Jo Barton
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The moment I saw the cover I wanted this book, not just because Tristan and Iseult is one of my all time favourite love stories, but because there was the undeniable promise of rediscovering this lovely story all over again. I wasn't disappointed; the story captures perfectly both the yearning and disappointment of a young warrior who must abide by the rules of loyalty, and the enigmatic and beautiful Irish princess who is bartered and sold to the highest bidder. The mesmeric quality of the narr ...more
Catriona Troth
It is always a challenge to retell a familiar legend and make it fresh and new. But it is a challenge to which my fellow Triskele author, J.D. Smith, has risen admirably.

Smith takes us to the Celtic fringes of Britain, when the the Romans have left and the Saxon armies press inexorably from the east. It is a world of uneasy alliances and broken promises – a world where women are bought and sold as marriage goods to seal treaties, and where love is an unaffordable luxury.

Smith gives both Tristan
JJ Marsh
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful rendition of the Celtic legend, with an all-pervasive sense of atmosphere and location, this is historical fiction in 3D. The precarious nature of life in ancient Cornwall is vividly realised, as are the territorial politics. The reader is subject to all the brutal realities of battle and the agonies of falling in love through the eyes of the two protagonists. Tristan: warrior, hero and nephew to the Cornish king. Iseult: beauty, chattel and daughter of an Irish king.
While their fat
Liza Perrat
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully-written novella that retells this well-known Celtic legend made popular during the 12th century through French medieval poetry.
Tristan and Iseult, their opposing origins, their alliances and their love, come to life in this dramatic tale.
Narrated in an enchanting, almost whispered voice, the story never misses a beat, and I was mesmerized from start to finish.
Gillian Hamer
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful storytelling, strong, believable characters, vivid settings and a talent for making historical fiction writing look flawless. I loved this novella and hope to see more from this author on here soon.
Lipsy
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I have adored the tale of Tristan and Iseult since I stumbled it across it when looking into Arthurian legends. I bloody love Arthurian legends btw. Soon after becoming aware of the story I found an old Puffin version by Rosemary Sutcliff that I've loved ever since. Her retelling has always been the only one for me...but recently I discovered this...

So due to the aforementioned circumstances I'm sure you can understand why I went into this a bit skeptical. At first I found that the simple, almos
C.P. Lesley
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book—not least because it takes a different tack from the legend, at least as I remember it. I always like that: when authors take a traditional story and make it their own.

It does take a while to get started, but that backstory is important. And once the scene is set, the tale rips along. And the ending is heartbreaking—for reasons I will not reveal.

Nice work!
Viktor
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dramatic to the end and very gripping
The characters are vividly drawn and the plot convincing. How tough life was, what with warring tribes attacking from East and West, and social conventions dictating one's relationships. We feel the tensions.
Alfredo Manzano
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Leí una versión en español y fue bastante mala, la traducción deficiente en muchos párrafos.
Ahora sobre el libro es superficial y "telenovelesco", los personajes caricaturescos, la narrativa... extraña. Bueno en fin dicen que no juzgues un libro por su portada; pero la portada, de hecho, refleja exactamente el contenido del libro.
Teri Miller
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good re-telling of the Odessey

Of course much shorter. The characters are well developed, and I felt for them. There are a few problems a proofreader or editor could have fixed, especially toward the end. I definitely recommend this book.
Jill Miclean
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the story of Tristan and Isolde and this is a wonderful version.
Sarah Faulkner
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
More of a novella really. Was interested in learning more about this medieval legend, but the author just sketched the bare bones of it. Can clearly see the inspiration for Romeo and Juliet.
Erin
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Retellings are an interesting subgenre. The writing and tone are exclusive to the author who put pen to page, the plot is borrowed, and the characterizations, atmosphere and theme an odd combination of both the familiar and authentic. The best retellings strike a balance. They are built within the framework of the original material, but bring something new to the table, something surprising and/or unexpected.

I give J.D Smith
Christoph Fischer
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Tristan and Iseult” by J D Smith is a passionate re-telling of the famous legend. I must admit that I am not overly familiar with other versions of the story to draw a comparison. As it stands it is a very powerful and intense read, written with great urgency and masterful sense of suspense.
Told in alternating short chapters from either Tristan or Iseult’s viewpoint, we get to know both characters and the story from different sides. Iseult has accepted her fate and her impeding marriage to Morh
Amanda Wampler
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I wasn't familiar with the story at all before reading this. I was quickly drawn into the story and characters, enough to research a bit more online about the history of the story.

The writing flows well from chapter to chapter between the two main characters. The story is descriptive and gives a good peek into life during the 12th century. What was quite striking to me throughout the story was Iseult's lack of choice and power. She
Fiona
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was no doubt in the minority on picking up this novella in that I was not familiar with the tale of Tristan and Isolde. I was captivated by Iseult from the outset. Tristan took a little longer to warm to and I almost found myself skipping through his sections in the early part just to get back to Iseult. That soon changed however by which point I could not put the book down, willing these star-crossed lovers on towards the end. And oh my, what an end! This beautifully tragic love story will st ...more
Courtney Hall
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This tragic tale of star-crossed lovers was beautifully written. JD Smith has added a unique (to me, at least) twist to the classic story of Tristan and Iseult, a legend long said to have been the inspiration for, among others, Romeo and Juliet. I've read and seen various interpretations of the legend but never have I known it to end the way Smith ended it. I found myself fully immersed in the story. Each character is his or her own unique person, the setting comes alive and the time - in this c ...more
Barbara Scott-Emmett
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written and sensitively handled retelling of the story of these star-crossed lovers. I was constantly awed by the description and characterisation and, though I knew the story, I still hoped the outcome would be different this time. When I closed the book my response was 'Wow'.
Taunya
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
well I give it four stars for everything but the ending. It was written well enough but the ending felt rushed and it didn't go the way I wanted it to. Nice love story, but some less than classy language and more details could have been given during some moments. It was good enough, but not great.
Stephanie
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed J.D Smiths retelling of Tristan and Iseult. I am a great lover of the original tale and find Ms Smith does well in keeping it close to the original tale while still giving it new life.

I would definitely recommend this version.
gj indieBRAG
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that TRISTAN AND ISEULT by JD Smith is a B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!

James Sheridan
Oct 03, 2016
Sonja Stout
Jul 03, 2014
J.D. Smith
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
nightwink
rated it it was ok
Nov 23, 2015
Jay Gurden
rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Sisterhood of the...: Tristan and Iseult by J.D. Smith 26 24 Sep 28, 2013 11:38AM

• Spirit of Lost Angels
  • The Dream You Make
  • The Children of Henry VIII
  • The Master of Verona (Star-Cross'd #1)
  • The Old Mermaid's Tale: A Novel of the Great Lakes
  • After the Bloom
  • DragonFly (Missions of The DragonFly Squadron #1)
  • The Dragon & the Rose
  • The Girl Who Swam to Atlantis
  • Five Dances with Death: Dance One
  • The Watchers: A Secret History of the Reign of Elizabeth I
  • Glass House 51
  • Read the Flower: The Beautiful Beginning (Fleur Passages #1)
  • The First Blast of the Trumpet (The Knox Trilogy, #1)
  • The Liars' Gospel
  • Prisoner of the Queen (Tales From the Tudor Court #2)
  • Silver-Tongued Devil