Start by marking “White Walls” as Want to Read:
White Walls

White Walls

Psychiatrist Jade Thatcher thinks that returning to her small, Australian hometown to start again, will be a healing experience - until her new job proves to be just the opposite. Her patients are linked in ways that she can’t explain, and the hospital has seen too many doctors come and go. It’s not long before she is lured by a well-guarded secret; one that sends her to a ...more
Published June 21st 2013 by Hayley Coates

To ask other readers questions about White Walls, please sign up.
H.M.C. H.M.C. I was sitting in a lecture on abnormal psychology and I started to wonder about how we've all got some kind of insanity. There's just different…moreI was sitting in a lecture on abnormal psychology and I started to wonder about how we've all got some kind of insanity. There's just different degrees of it, and some are more acceptable than others, it seems. Whether it be moving through life with an external locus of control, or an actual diagnosed issue, we all struggle with judgement, self-worth, and taking right action to some degree.
It got me to thinking about our systems: medical, educational, etc. and how far we would go to 'save' those we love. I love the idea that there can never really be black and white. It's all so very grey. And we can never truly walk a mile in another man's shoes.
The other thought that came to me was that it's interesting how absolute freedom from societal bonds often equals insanity, yet living obsessively inside them often equates to the same thing.
(less)

Stef Rozitis
Grateful for my signed copy but if I didn't enjoy the book I would have said so! ;)

Well, it was certainly easy to keep turning those pages (made my sick day a little less bleak which accounts for the fast speed through it). I liked that the mental illness patients were people before they were illnesses and that in fact there was an arbitrary line drawn between the "insane" patients and the "sane" everyone else. A lot of truth in that I think.

I wasn't mad keen on the romances, especially the one
Maureen DeLuca
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story will get you thinking twice about conspiracy theories...and mental illness.

The story is about Jade, a psychiatrist who after a failed marriage, takes on a job at a mental facility where not everything is as it seems. Filled with complex characters, the story is suspenseful, disturbingly realistic, and will keep you on the edge of your seat.

I never read anything from this author before- and I'm looking forward to reading more of her for sure !!
Kim Cresswell
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Set in a small Australian town, White Walls is a well-written psychological thriller filled with a cast of true-to-life characters. Some are flawed. Some are weighted down by personal bagage. Many are mentally ill. Others, downright frightening.

Anna
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
White Walls is a psychological thriller that had me biting my nails, as my heart raced and my mind tried to foresee the next twist. It's a whirlwind of a story that burst off the page and engulfed me it as it surged, twisted and turned.

Jade Thatcher is a psychiatrist who after a failed marriage returns to her hometown and gets a job at the Rowan's Home Psychiatric Institution. But all is not as it seems and as Jade gets to know her patients, more and more questions arise and she soon discovers a
T.D.
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters are well written and endearing. The author clearly has a good understanding of mental health issues and treatments as the story felt very real and grounded.
What I really loved was the surprises. This story doesn't conform to expectation but travels its own path. I thought I had an idea of the story until it changed and became something different. I found this intriguing and enjoyed the twist. But the surprises didn't stop there. The story keeps surp
Petra Be
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Christina Knowles
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
White Walls, a suspense-thriller, by HMC drew me in instantly with an assortment of interesting characters. As the book opens, we get a peek at the possibly paranoid delusions of a very disturbed man, George Barter, an artist who won’t leave his home even to purchase art supplies. I knew I liked this book immediately when I could easily picture George arguing with the store clerk on the phone and then, in an angry tirade, tearing up his own art with a pair of scissors. Each character has a defin ...more
Angie's Reading Dungeon
First I would like to thank H.M.C. for gifting me a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book more like loved this book, I have read a few psychological thrillers but this one was different I think it helped that she has a degree in psychology.

Jade moves back to her small town of Fairholmes after personal problems and she takes up a job at the local psychiatric hospital where she meets her patients and things aren't what they seem but Jade thinks they are paranoid, delusio
Christoph Fischer
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"White Walls" by H.M.C. is a truly excellent psychological thriller, set in the a mental health institution. Psychiatrist Jade comes with her own baggage and personal problems. The new job in her hometown is not proving as easy as she has had hoped for. Somehing just doesn't add up, suspisions and paranoia set in and trace beautifully the existing twilight or the grey areas if you so will between mental health and disease.
HMC has written some memorable and fascinating characters with great backg
Liam Taylor
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Generally, I tend to steer clear of psychological thrillers. More often than not, I find them quite pretentious; just trying too hard to be as smart and clever as they can.

Then something happened that altered my view on this particular reading niche... I was introduced to 'White Walls', the debut novel by H.M.C.

I found this book to be a thoroughly enjoyable and compelling read. Although the pace did slacken a couple of times, most noticeably around the midway mark, the writing style, progression
Helene Young
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
White Walls is an intriguing debut novel from H.M.C. Set in the near past of the 1990’s in Australia, it delves into the world of psychiatric care facilities and explores the fine line between fact and fiction.

Could the delusional ramblings of a mentally ill patient be real? Told from multiple points of view the story deals with issues of betrayal, self-worth and childhood abuse. More compellingly it raises the question of how far a researcher would go to prove their theory. Conspiracy theories
T.W. Lawless
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book is not only a well- executed, well-written psychological thriller but also a great psychological study of people who work at and are inpatients of mental health facilities. Sometimes you don't know who the patients are. Is that why the staff wear uniforms? I should know, I worked in a notorious mental facility when I was a student nurse in the 1980's.
There are enough disturbed and complex characters and enough plot twists and turns to keep you turning the pages. That to me is a sign of
Anthony Hulse
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this wonderful thriller in two sittings, which is unusual for me. I was hooked from the first chapter and the mixture of odd characters captivated me. Mainly set in a psychiatric hospital, White Walls is deeply atmospheric and each patient has his or own story to tell. Jade Thatcher is drawn into an enigma of intrigue, which concludes with her discovering a dark, frightening secret.

HMC is a truly gifted writer and I was surprised to see that this is her debut novel. I foresee a great futu
Alicia Kemp
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a gripping page turner! Bleary eyed through most of a rainy weekend, I got to know the inmates and characters of this small town. They are believable and quirky and there are plenty of clever lines to smile over. The premise of the story is disturbingly realistic and will have you thinking twice about conspiracy theories. Jade is a hero you want to succeed but the story is so clever you're never really sure if she will. Great read and highly recommended.
Louise
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was really good! At times I questioned if what was going on was really real or just a group delusion, and that uncertainty really made me want to keep reading it to find out what was real and if all the characters were going to get out okay. And it was also wonderful to read a book set in my country. The characters were all so interesting, I like how they all had their little quirks. The cats also made me enjoy this a lot, although I did worry at times if they'd survive.
L.L. Hunter
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
White walls is an entertaining thriller by an Aussie author! If you love a good read by Aussie authors then I recommend White walls! I love the insight into what it would be like living inside a psych clinic, I found delving into the patient's minds hilarious! Although a little slow paced in the middle, the ending totally makes up for it! I wouldn't mind if there was a second book. Great job Hayley!
Kellee Gilmore
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
White Walls was truly an amazing read. The characters were fascinating and drew me in immediately. The patients at this hospital had some real frightening, mental issues. Despite that fact, and what I really loved, was that they were each heroes in their own right. This novel is filled with twist and turns, and I found myself on the edge of my seat during the entire book. This is a must read for anyone that loves thrillers. I look forward to reading more from this truly talented author.
Kim Ebner
My true rating would be 3.5 stars. I liked this book, moving towards really liked it. I would recommend it as an easy read and a bit of a page turner. A little unrealistic perhaps but then again, that's what story telling is. It is an avenue to stretch our minds and consider things that might be a little different or unlikely.
Pam Daly
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the type of book that will make you cancel all your plans and stay curled up reading. White Walls makes you question if we can really trust the ones who are meant to keep us safe (and sane)? Nail biting to the end. I can highly recommend this book to all those who like a story with a twist.
Gene LaViness
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I picked it up kind of late the other night and finished it at four in the morning. It's the first book in a while that I enjoyed enough to read all the way through.
Nicci Hartland
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review to Come
Cinta
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Full review coming soon
Miriam
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A really good fast thriller. Good for people who get bored easily like me. I would like to read a sequel please.
Wendy Vitols
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This novel was third in my list of H.M.C books - I am pleased to say that it stunned me.
It is also responsible for keeping me up late at night - H.M.C creates narratives that you simply cannot put down.
I loved it - as with another reviewer, I also steer clear of psychological thrillers; this one, however, allowed my attachment to the characters. I had moments of true suspense in this twisting and turning tale, the setting was well described...basically, it was all very believable and recogniza
Greer
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
White Walls is an astonishingly brilliant debut novel for this budding Aussie writer. HMC displays so much compassion in her writing that one cannot help but bat for her created characters. I found it a fascinatingly heartful read - the relationship between Jade and her brother was particularly touching and very 'real'. I use the word 'real', rather than 'believable', because 'believable' connotes doubt. HMC executes its plot with precision, building suspense and providing comic relief in all th ...more
Kathryn
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
White Walls tells the story of a psychiatrist who returns to a small town to rebuild her life after her marriage ends unhappily. Jade soon finds work at the local psychiatric facility and discovers that her patients are linked in more ways than one ... And more importantly, could the accusations of corruption by her delusional patients be real?

I thought that White Walls was a brilliant, insightful thriller. The author shows some real insight into the mechanics of mental illness and every charact
Simon Palmer
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
White Walls is a creepy, psychological thriller with a wide range of characters each different from the rest. It opens with George a very unique and likeable soul who has his own issues and then pans over to a young girl called Sam who also has problems. They will meet later at a mental institute with several more disturbing and engaging characters you will either love or hate.

Jade, a psychiatrist with her own problems, takes on a job at the mental facility under a difficult boss called Green. I
Pamela Murray
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
White Walls is an excellent debut novel. The author introduced some of the characters early, and so well, that when the plot veered away from them for awhile, it was easy to keep them in mind for when they returned. The way the story is written, the conspiracy is believable, which makes it an even more intense read. This book has subplots that build a satisfying, multi-textured experience. I love how everything is neatly resolved at the end. Highly recommended!
Stephen Ormsby
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
H.M.C introduces us to a cast of closet crazies before turning up the dial and dropping us deep into their world. This is when the book truly becomes a fun read. Full of suspense, I could not put it down and devoured White Walls all too quickly. I'm not going to reveal any of the plot as it should be discovered in all its glory by the reader. Suffice to say I thought this a very good debut read.

H.M.C is a wonderful new Australian talent that we will be seeing a lot more of in future.
Earl Chessher
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
White Walls reads like a literary classic. The build is solid, provocative, the characters delightfully believable.
This story, by H.M.C., grows and grows, sucking the reader in over his head. A well-controlled jaunt into deceptions and crisis, with a believable and satisfying conclusion.
You really should read this writer from Australia. She's going to become one of your faves.
— Earl Chessher
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Orphan Factory (The Orphan Trilogy, #2)
  • The Mezuzah in the Madonna's Foot: Marranos and Other Secret Jews--A Woman Discovers Her Spiritual Heritage
  • You Wouldn't Be Dead For Quids (Les Norton, #1)
  • The Story of Chicago May
  • Rotten Gods (Marika Hartmann, #1)
  • Half Moon Bay
  • Bird With the Heart of a Mountain
  • Can You Keep a Secret?
  • The May Day Murders
  • Beirut
  • Parallax View (Tracie Tanner #1)
  • Silent Fear (Detective Ella Marconi, #5)
  • Aundes Aura
  • Blue Future: Protecting Water for People and the Planet Forever
  • Mirror Deep
  • Girl in Shades
  • Bullets of Palestine
  • Chaperones
HAYLEY MERELLE CLEARIHAN
I live on two acres in the Gold Coast hinterland with my wild children, two furballs, and motorbike-loving Viking of a husband.
By day I’m an educator/facilitator/coach/advisor/shoulder to cry on/person to laugh at for students. I’ve been a teacher for thirteen years and counting.
I’m also crazy enough to call myself a writer

PEACE