Start by marking “The Soul of the Rose” as Want to Read:
The Soul of the Rose

The Soul of the Rose

Published October 1st 2013 by Abingdon Press

To ask other readers questions about The Soul of the Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soul of the Rose

Start your review of The Soul of the Rose
Dale Harcombe
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars
Set in 1876, The Soul of the Rose is a sweet novel about a woman with strong Christian convictions. Celia is well educated and not afraid to voice her opinions. After the death of a close friend, Celia starts over in a bookshop owned by Mr and Mrs Chestley, who are friends of her parents. Throughout there are quotes and references from several novels including Jane Eyre, and The Scarlet Letter, and a quote or two from the poet Tennyson. A pristine edition of Tennyson in its
Haywood Smith
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It takes a really special book to get me out of editorial mode and let me become a reader again. This wonderful book did that for me from the first page. I was lost i the story and the characters, and hated for it to end.
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Debating the merits of fine literature at great lengths is the common ground that has brought Celia Thatcher and Edward Lyons together.

Celia works for Mr. Chestley as his assistant in a bookstore in Massachusetts in 1876. It's a place she used to frequent with her family as a young girl and its that love of books that has made her a valuable edition for Mr. Chestley. She loves to read, and one of its delights was to provide an escape from the real world. She just wishes she can find someone who
Jo

Summery courtesy of goodreads.com
Melanie
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1LYKCZF...
Review on my blog: http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

The Soul of the Rose was a good read and different than I expected going in. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but parts of this book reminded me of Beauty and the Beast, which made my reading experience much more entertaining.

I really liked the main characters and the story. It was great how The Gospel and Apologetics were incorporated into the story - I liked t
Teresa Pollard
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Soul of the Rose is beautiful! It's beautifully written, the characters have so much depth, and it's a beautiful love story. With all the grace and elegance of the great literature of the past, Ruth Trippy creates an atmosphere of a culture clash with faith that is realistic to an earlier time, yet timely to our generation as well. Brava!
Carrie
3.5
The first 80 pages and the last 80 pages really captivated me, but the middle lost me a bit.
Faye
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Celia decides to make a fresh start by taking a job working for dear family friends, the Chestley's, at their book shop. While there, Celia makes a big impact on the small community, catching the eye of a young man training to be a lawyer, as well as the mysterious and reclusive, Edward Lyons.

Celia shares her love of literature with the community through a weekly book discussion, the community welcomes her readily, even Mr. Lyons who is drawn to her fresh beauty and insightful mind.

With multiple
Jill Willis
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an enchanting Victorian love story. Trippy captures the essence of this conservative era through book club discussions, flower shows and walks through a picturesque town. Her descriptions make me wish for simpler times when conversations can fill up entire afternoons.

The tale is woven in such a way that the reader really has no idea which of the main character's suitors will capture her heart until the very end. Her faith in God is tested and she must make almost impossible decisions.

Trippy
Lisa Johnson
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Title: The Soul of the Rose
Author: Ruth Trippy
Pages: 337
Year: 2013
Publisher: Abingdon Press
This is just a lovely romantic story set in Massachusetts in 1876. If you are looking for action, then this isn’t the book for you. It is a charming romance set in a time that some of the more romantic of us long for, but one that has passed on. There is also a potential murderer thrown in!
Celia Thatcher has been sent to live with good friends, the Chestleys, of her parents upon the death of her best frien
Cathy
After the tragic death of her closest friend, 20-year-old Celia Thatcher is sent to work in the bookstore of family friends. Hoping the new surroundings in Massachusetts will help her regain a happy outlook on life, Celia catches the eye of not one, but two men: the elite, but unkempt Bostonian-turned-hermit, Edward Lyons, who is clearly trying to run from his past and from God, and Charles Harrod, a charming Harvard law student who promotes a religious belief Celia has never before considered. ...more
Victor Gentile
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ruth Trippy in her new book, “The Soul Of The Rose” published by Abingdon Press takes us into the life of Celia Thatcher.

From the back cover: “And the soul of the rose went into my blood…”

This line from a Tennyson poem enchants young Celia Thatcher, who supposes every woman’s heart hopes to be the rose that captivates a man.

Celia is searching for her own sense of hope after the tragic death of her closest friend. Moving in 1876 to work in a Massachusetts bookstore, to start life afresh, she soon
Jennifer Ricks
I really wish I could have given it 4 stars! I did read an ARC, so maybe some of my issues were remedied for the final print--one can hope! The best compliment that I can give is that it really reminded me of a "Proper Romance" like the works of Sarah M. Eden and Julianne Donaldson (who are FAVs!).

The story was good. It felt like a combination of Jane Eyre, Beauty and the Beast, and Jane Austen. I love how she kept the secrets from the past hidden as long as possible. It really kept me intereste
Rina
What an enjoyable read! A beautiful romance, intellectual discussions, a bookstore, poetry. What more can you ask for in a novel? This is a book I will very likely be buying for my personal library, one I will certainly recommend when discussing books, and one I will very likely buy as a gift for friends.

Celia is a delightful heroine, she’s smart as well as pretty, but the focus is on her love for books, flowers and art, not her appearance. She can hold her own when conversation involves Tennyso
Karen
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I would like to read more from this author.
LAWonder10
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great historical drama. It is a book you can read and relax with.

Celia had experienced an upsetting crisis in her hometown. Her parents arranged for her to work for good friends in another town. Her employer also provided her room and board.

Celia loved books so she was more than content to work in the Chestley's book store. Her literary talent bloomed and expanded into the small community, where she also made some dear friends.

In an unfortunate situation, she met the town's recluse - M
Hayden
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for action, adventure, and mysterious plot twists, than The Soul of the Rose probably won't be what you're looking for. A fairly simple, straightforward love story, it nevertheless enveloped me in its quiet but interesting world, introducing me to characters I really did care about.

What I loved most about this book was that it focused more on the "heart connection" between the two characters, rather than sensual desire. Celia really seemed to care about keeping God in her rela
Veronica
This was an interesting story that reminded me of some classics I've read. It started out slow, but I became very interested in the romance. Edward Lyons reminded me of Mr. Darcy and he is compared to Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre in the story, which I could also see. I liked the book discussions and theological conversations Celia has with different characters. It was especially interesting to learn about the new idea of transcendentalism that was infiltrating the churches. There are a few men i ...more
Jessica
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Soul of the Rose is about Celia Thatcher who moves away to work for and stay with family friends after the sudden death of her best friend. Celia is an attractive, well read, intelligent young lady who immediately catches the eyes of two very different men. She has also left behind a young man at home who may also be interested. Each man has attractive attributes and disadvantages and Celia wants to make a God honoring choice. When she finally realizes whom she loves will she need to chose betwe ...more
Lucie Paris
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it
My opinion is quite divided on this historical romance.

The synopsis promises two men fighting to attract the attention of a woman. In reality, Celia's heart is already won at the first glance exchanged with the one she will belong to.

Well told, I found myself in another time and I traveled with the characters. Words and sentences flow with ease and I have felt that the author has put her heart into this story.

Conversations about books, religion or flowers are interesting. For once, the male her
Q2
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I would love to give this book four stars (and indeed, many reviewers loved it!) but for me this book was a tad slow-moving and melodramatic. I LOVED the setting and the dialogue--this is an excellent book for lovers of Pride & Prejudice and Victorian era dramas. The settings and details are beautifully described and imagined. The main character here, Celia, has basically fled her home because of a mysterious sad occurrence. She works as a bookstore clerk and fends off (flirts with?) three diffe ...more
Colleen
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Joan
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
This novel is the style of those written about 150 years ago. If you like Jane Eyre you will probably like this one. The plot of the novel is nothing unusual and there is not much action. Most of the novel consists of conversation or characters reflecting. I could not identify with the female lead character and I did not like the primary male character. And I found the ending a little lacking. See my full review at http://bit.ly/169Zq3A. ...more
Angela
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I am not a romance novel reader; however, I really did enjoy reading "Soul of the Rose".

I was surprised and delighted with the story line, quality of writing and the main characters came to life right before my eyes.

I hope to see more from Ruth Trippy . . . to watch her grow as a writer will be a true treat . . . :)

Disclosure: I got this book for free from Goodreads First Reads giveaway.
Linda
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A bookstore, creative lady, mysterious man, witty conversations and this reader's curiosity to want to know how everything would end. What more could I want? The Soul of the Rose was a pleasure to read. I look forward to reading more books by Ruth Trippy.

Now that I've stayed up late to finish this book, I need sleep so I can start another book tomorrow morning.
Lindi Peterson
Ah!! What a story! Ruth Trippy's writing is tender and lyrical and amazing. You can't rush reading this book because you want to savor every word. I love the characters and the town Ruth created. Ruth's voice is perfect for historical novels. I say this is a must read for all.
Joy
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable relaxing read. Lots of characters with lots of drama and romance set in a bookstore... how much better could it get? If you like historical fiction you'll love this one!

I received an ecopy free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Tricha Leary
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story of Edward and Celia. Celia stood her ground and would not let anyone in town sway her heart one way or another. She , also, held onto her beliefs regarding her religion and how it would affect her relationship with Edward even though she loved him.
Mary Beth
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
After the tragic death of her closest friend, 20-year-old Celia Thatcher is sent to work in the bookstore of family friends. Hoping the new surroundings in Massachusetts will help her regain a happy outlook on life, Celia catches the eye of not one, but two men.
Harmony Courtney
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this as a Goodreads First Reads book, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The juxtapositions of character, as well as the themes throughout, were relevant and timely. An entertaining read.

• Welcome to Adulting: Navigating Faith, Friendship, Finances, and the Future
  • The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • Honor (Quaker Brides, #1)
  • It Had to Be You (Christiansen Family, #2)
  • Once Upon a Prince (Royal Wedding, #1)
  • The Constitution of the United States and The Declaration of Independence
  • Angels in the ER: Inspiring True Stories from an Emergency Room Doctor
  • Mississippi Brides: 3-in-1 Historical Collection (Romancing America)
  • An Offering: The Tale of Therese
  • It's Your Misfortune and None of My Own
  • Seal of God
  • The Downstairs Girl
  • Under a Painted Sky
  • The Weight of Glory
  • One Went to Denver and the Other Went Wrong
  • The Killing Tide (Coastal Guardians, #1)
  • The Ringmaster's Wife