Start by marking “Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmers' Markets” as Want to Read:
Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmers' Markets

Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmers' Markets

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  2,023 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
First published in hardcover in 2002, Local Flavors was a book ahead of its time. Now, imported food scares and a countrywide infatuation with fresh, local, organic produce has caught up with this groundbreaking cookbook, available for the first time in paperback.

Deborah Madison celebrates the glories of the farmers’ markets of America in a richly illustrated collection of
Published May 13th 2008 by Ten Speed Press (first published June 11th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Local Flavors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Local Flavors

Rebecca
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yum
Wow, truth in advertising, people. A seasonal market cookbook that's actually functional! I wandered into my kitchen this afternoon with the vague idea of cooking that last bunch of beets. I flipped open this book for inspiration. This method is pretty much guaranteed to end with me bookmarking a bunch of recipes that I really earnestly mean to make next time if I can ever wrangle all the ingredients into the same time and place. While I eat roasted beets for the 12948674th time. But suddenly it ...more
Bethany
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Beautiful pictures.

About 5 recipes that I am very interested in.

Mostly I was moderately annoyed. I was expecting a book that would give me recipes that had local seasonal ingredients. In stead, I received recipes that had one or two seasonal/local ingredients along with other ingredients that were out of season or not local.

I am sure that others would love the book. It is just not what I was looking for.

Ordered from B & N
Tracy
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is outstanding. I made the swiss chard gratin (using half chard and half spinach), and went out and planted some chard so I'd have chard to make this with in the fall and winter! Every time I come home from the farmer's market, I turn to this book to see what to do with my CSA produce. Deborah Madison is the greatest.
Emily Crow
May 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: foodies, locavores
Recommended to Emily by: my mother
Shelves: cookbooks
Right now I am undergoing the painful process of weeding my cookbooks, which I have to do because my bookcase devoted to them is too full to accept any new ones. So anything I haven't opened up in the past few years gets reviewed, and if there aren't several recipes begging to be made, goodbye book.

Unfortunately, this one didn't make the cut. I love the concept and wish I had more time to visit farmer's markets and cook from scratch, but the fact of the matter is...I don't. I go to the grocery s
Maureen
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deborah Madison is probably my favorite cookbook writer. In this book she provides some great vignettes on farmer's markets and little snippets about not-so-common varieties of vegetables. There are recipes with meat in this one for those so inclined. This will be a great one to take with me to the farmer's market and meal plan around. A good companion to Animal, Vegetable, Miracle- if you liked that one.
Erika
This actually would be handy to have around during market season. In Ohio that doesn't last all year so this book actually irritated me since I couldn't get my hands on most ingredients to make any of these drooly-looking recipes. I did however make an herbal tea and I have an herbal sugar sitting in wait, so thank you Deborah Madison. I'll have to check you out again soon.
TLP
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Deborah Madison's vegetarian cookbooks. I find her recipes creative and different. This book is mostly vegetarian with that same creativity. She is, as always, educating us on ingredients along the way...
Crystal
May 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I have mixed feelings about this cookbook. It really is a charming book, full of homey shots of farmer's market merchandise and smiling family farmers and their families and customers. And the recipes--most of them sound delightful! some of them are a bit plain for my taste, but probably taste amazing too. The anecdotes and information gathered at the various farm markets around the country was interesting and sometimes informative as well. I love reading about the diversity of food around the c ...more
Maze Branch Oak Park Public Library
We really enjoyed our tasting and discussion of Local Flavors! With the exception of one attendee who is not a fan of vegetables, we really liked most of the recipes that we tried. These included Cucumber Salad with Chile and Roasted Peanuts, Big Tomato Sandwich, Greens with Red Beans, Cilantro and Feta, White Pizza with Sage, Goat's Milk Panna Cotta and Rustic Almond Truffles with Fruit Center.

We found the recipes to be written clearly for the home cook, and the accompanying text provided enga
Feb 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for recipes for farmer's market produce
Recommended to Jennifer by: Book: In Defense of Food
This book has some good recipes in it, but it is nearly just as much a showcase of different farmer's markets around the country - which is less useful (but interesting nonetheless) to those of us stuck in one location. Also, the author is from the southwest. Here in Midwest farm country we don't see many avocados or mangoes at the local farmer's markets. So keep those caveats in mind when looking this one over for recipes - especially if you are trying to cook like a local-vore. I still liked t ...more
  • Chez Panisse Fruit
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes
  • A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes
  • Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia
  • Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table
  • Full Moon Feast: Food and the Hunger for Connection
  • Urban Pantry: Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable and Seasonal Kitchen
  • Simply in Season
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper
  • My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • Coming Home to Eat: The Pleasures and Politics of Local Foods
  • Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make
  • Locavore's Handbook: The Busy Person's Guide To Eating Local On A Budget
  • Grub: Ideas for an Urban Organic Kitchen
  • One Big Table: A Portrait of American Cooking: 600 recipes from the nation's best home cooks, farmers, pit-masters and chefs
Deborah Madison is an American chef, writer and cooking teacher. She has been called an expert on vegetarian cooking and her gourmet repertoire showcases fresh garden produce. Her work also highlights Slow Food, local foods and farmers' markets.
More about Deborah Madison...