Start by marking “The Way of Caine” as Want to Read:
The Way of Caine

The Way of Caine

(Warmachine)

Allister Caine has always been an enigma and an outsider among the warcasters of Cygnar, but few are privy to his true motivations or his complicated past…

Born into poverty, Allister Caine did what he must to survive, and the choices he made have followed him like a vengeful specter throughout his life. Now, just months after the Lion’s Coup and his full commission as a wa
Published May 2nd 2013 by Skull Island Expeditions

To ask other readers questions about The Way of Caine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of Caine

Start your review of The Way of Caine
Rick
I really enjoyed reading the back story on Caine even though I have not played him in-game. I always thought he was an interesting character just from the fluff in various rule books. It was especially interesting to see the warjack Ace and his special ability since I haven't seen anything like that in the game yet (Warmachine). This story had a lot of variety from street thugs to military training to espionage which keeps the reader on their toes.

This felt different from the other warcaster and
Benn C Williams
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Mighty Have Fallen...or Have They?

Allister Caine, newly minted into the ranks of the vaunted Warcasters, elite men and women with the magical gift to do amazing feats and the ability to control mighty iron clad Warjacks. But everyone knows Caine to be a drunkard, a fool, one who flouts the rules and barely holds his rank by virtue of his gift. Everyone thinks they know Caine...or do they? In this epic tale follow the exploits of one of the greatest Warcasters Cygnar has ever known. But how f
Rogan Hamby
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
I found this book laking. I'm a fan of the Warmachine universe and recently read two other of the short books in the series which I enjoyed a lot more. I understand it's only 108 pages but even in such a short book the plot and characterizations were predictable and flat. A few well written action scenes were really it's saving graces that kept it from one star.
Dave Kirlin
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I hope they continue the series. I really like the way Miles Holmes portrayed Caine and want to read more.
Dev Null
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, warmachine
Fantasy based on a fun character from Privateer Press' miniatures game. It's an all-right bit of backstory for the character if you play the game, but nothing you'd bother with if you don't.
Mario Medina
Aug 15, 2020 rated it liked it
It was Okay. Entertaining, short read, especially considering I knew nothing about Warcaster. It's quite short, so it can be read in one sitting.
Petrow84
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
That was some really good read. If you're not familiar with the setting, you'll find only a simple action-fantasy on the pages.

However, if you have some basic understanding on the Wrmachine lore, you'll find a very good novel right here.

Without revealing any important part of the story, it blows away the usual "Cygnar is the good guy" cliché, not only in its plot, but also because of its main character, who is a drinking, pickpocketing ne'er-do-well street kid in his twenties.

And even when late
Peter
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
I read (actually listened to ) this book because I like the iron Kingdoms setting and I was hoping that in this novel the feel and sphere of this setting would become vivid. But the opposite was actually true. I think the setting and the background of this story only makes sense when you already have an understanding of the iron kingdoms and the rules of warmachine.

The story and characterizations of the main characters are also flat and predictable. The story was also driven a lot by coincidence
Leah Nicolich-henkin
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
The plot of this book is completely unrelated to that of Hugo-nominated sequel "The Butcher of Khardov", and I highly recommend that you skip this one and go on to the next. This book is purely about a battle, but not even in a particularly exciting way. There's no real emotional arc; there's an attempt at one, but it feels tacked on. There's a beautiful woman who shows up briefly, and looks pathetic, and then strong, and then vanishes and has no further purpose in the story. Waste of time.
Mphecker
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Caine was the character that sucked me in to the Warmachine game, and I was very pleased to see a novella dedicated to him. This was a solid story, but it felt a bit jammed together at the end. Despite the rush through the story at the conclusion, this was an enjoyable tale about the rise of a fun character, and I would recommend it to other fans.
Taddow
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: warmachine
Despite being a Cygnar player, I was never really interested in Caine but after reading this story, I see more depth to him than I originally thought. The story was an easy and quick read with some enjoyable moments.
Shane Fraughton
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting depiction of Allister Caine. Not quite what I imagined him to be like, but still a fun read.
Jason
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great (short) read about an iconic character from the Iron Kingdoms. I've thoroughly enjoyed every story from Skull Island Expeditions and give 2 thumbs way up as well
Scott Carmody
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk, war
Fun little start for the warcaster Caine.
Michael Parker
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: iron-kingdoms
An excellent short novel with a look at Cygnar's favorite commando gunmage. Good story, done with style.
Ian James
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
this short story was good. I really liked looking into Caines back story a little deeper and the introduction of Magnus (however brief) was good as well.
Trish
Jun 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Not bad fantasy fare, and the first time I've come across Warcaster, having not met the game. Some interesting ideas.
Jeanette Masek, M.D.

• Blood & Iron
  • The Whisper Man
  • The Forever War #3
  • The Forever War 1: Private Mandella
  • Into the Wild (Malcontents, #2)
  • Wyrmbane
  • Instruments of War (The Warlock Sagas #1)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • Sycamore Row (Jake Brigance, #2)
  • The Broker
  • The Litigators
  • The Pursuit of the Pankera: A Parallel Novel About Parallel Universes
  • The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth, #3)
  • Extreme Makeover
  • Ones and Zeroes (Mirador, #2)

Warmachine (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Into the Storm (Malcontents, #1)
  • The Butcher of Khardov