Start by marking “Coldheart (League of Magi, #1)” as Want to Read:
Coldheart (League of Magi, #1)

Coldheart

(League of Magi #1)

San Francisco is on the edge of a blizzard, the first in a hundred years. A cannibal killer stalks the streets. A rash of abductions targets people seemingly at random. A city falling into chaos.

Chris Black sees the connection. On the trail of a missing woman, he uncovers the delicate threads uniting the disparate mysteries. But he is mentally ill and all of it could be th
Paperback, First, 265 pages
Published May 31st 2013 by Captain Supermarket Press

To ask other readers questions about Coldheart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coldheart

Start your review of Coldheart (League of Magi, #1)
Leila
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Coldheart" is a wonderful collection that opens the door to a world I'm very excited to continue exploring. I'm getting a strong sense that it'll be very difficult for this author to disappoint me. :)

"Coldheart", like Robinson's novel "Dollmaker", features a protagonist who's no Mary Sue. He's mentally ill and fairly unstable, but very interesting as he attempts to find the truth in a world that may or may not reflect the reality of what's actually going on around him. A great opener to the an
Rob Slaven
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book free for review from the author or publisher in exchange for an honest review. Despite the privilege of receiving a free book, I’m absolutely candid about it below because I believe authors and readers will benefit most from honest reviews rather than vacuous 5-star reviews.

This book consists of six stories of variable length that center on or are at least related to an ancient otherworldly ... cult? of people? creatures? with extraordinary powers whose goal is to... take ov
Jocelyn Sanchez
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love it!! This book is a thrilling story that will keep you on your toes! I had a remarkably good time reading this book and I look forward to reading more from this author.

Coldheart is a page-turner that will keep you guessing throughout the book. It doesn't have a predictable plot and it's not dull. Actually, it's anything but dull!

I loved the main character and the plot was so unique and interesting! I don't give spoilers in my reviews but I will say that this book is a must read. Seriously
Carly Kirk
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku-2017
So every single story in this book is depressing/sad... But also engrossing and addictive... I had to keep reading in order to find out what happened in the next one. The writing is so good and the world that the author has created sucked me in. I had to know what the next book would bring...
Ry Herman
Good stuff. Stories of ordinary people caught up in titanic, world-sweeping secret magical conspiracies. Their insect's-eye view of events lets the reader learn the shape of things by inference and implication. I'll definitely be reading further stories set in this world.
Tena
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2-goodread_wins
I won this in a GOODREADS giveaway -- Coldheart by Justin Robinson -- HOLY COW! How did I miss this book?? Released in 2013?!? A collection of stories to gnaw at you, AND an intro into a new series! Get it, Read it!
Fanbase Press
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
The following review was originally posted on Fanboy Comics:

'Coldheart:' Book Review
by Ben Rhodes, Fanboy Comics Senior Contributor

Justin Robinson’s Coldheart is a novella and a series of short stories that are set in the same world and complement each other. The world of these stories is mostly the same as ours, but there are dark fantasy creatures warring with each other. This war is hidden from view, but exists on a massive scale. There are several fact
James
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stay home and take your medicine. Unless the love of your life is in trouble, missing. Unless you need to see the world as it is. Unless there's not time for the comfort of a medicated haze. Unless you're sure it's the world and not you that's finally gone over the edge. Unless you're ready to face the heart of the storm. Unless you're ready to take the beating of your life to save your reason for living. By all means, stay home and take your medicine.

***

Coldheart introduces the shadow conflict
Penny
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For me the marker of Justin Robinson's brilliance as a writer is his ability to take a fairly typical and often overdone storyline and do something unexpected and innovative with it. Coldheart starts with a seriously mentally ill protagonist, then explores his ability to process what is and is not real as the world around him changes and turns into something stranger than his delusions could account for. Rather than falling into the trap of using mental illness as a special sensitivity to magic, ...more
J. Ringo
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In Coldheart, Robinson does a very impressive (and at times, rather remarkable) job of world-building, piling up details and characters so subtly that you don't even notice just how fully realized everything is until you're fairly deep into the volume. The titular novella itself would be enough to recommend the book, but each of the short stories that follow manage to build on it in ways both entertaining and unexpected. Superficially, the stories are only tangentially related to one another (an ...more
Mana Taylor-Hall
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Coldheart is a amazingly fun book to read. It's a darker take of urban fantasy with ancient mythos and magi creating a intricate web of relationships and magic which will eat the mortal who stumbles into it alive.

The first half of the book is Coldheart itself - the story of single man that discovers that other world because someone precious to him is pulled in. Through Chris we learn just the edges of League of Magi and we see the powers they wield. But it is the hunt to save Sarah that is impor
Scott
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are so many great things to say about the collection of stories within Coldheart, but I'll keep it short, not giving anything away. The Coldheart novella itself introduces us to a world like our own, but secretly controlled by powerful beings and their arcane organizations that walk among the people unnoticed, unless they wish their presence to be known. (Totally NOT like our world right?). The other short tales comprising the remainder of the book vary in tone, straying from the noir thre ...more
Susan
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Justin Robinson pens "Coldheart" a fantastic collection of stories of magick. Each story contains ordinary people, the world of immortals and magick, then builds to where each will somewhat interconnect in meaning while leaving everything open for a future collection. I was totally captivated in this collection and hope the author continues on with it. Highly recommended for all fantasy and magick fans.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the author which was provided for an honest
Andrea Liff
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting fantasy stories in dark modern world setting that have deep characters despite the short story length.
Scott
Chris Priscott
Jun 20, 2020
KateMarie
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
First off, I'm not a fan of horror most of time. But Mr. Robinson has a way of writing where the horror is more mind games than gore. And that I enjoy.

I liked this book. The reader is able to get into the mind of the characters before things go wrong (right?) for them. There's a few transitions that made me scratch my head, but not bothersome enough were I stopped reading. If anything, it has me wondering what happens to bring everyone together in the next book.

If you're a fan of horror, but not
Holly
Jul 11, 2013
H.L. Cherryholmes
Oct 11, 2014
Rachel
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
That was really good! I will agree with some reviews that it felt incomplete at the end, but I feel like this entire book was the intro to a really interesting world. It's so complex and intricate. I love that Justin Robinson managed to create these characters so convincingly. Can't wait to go on to the second book.
Gayle Karen
Martin Hoecker-martinez
Mar 13, 2014
Laj
Jun 21, 2018
Much like film noir, Justin Robinson was born and raised in Los Angeles. He splits his time between editing comic books, writing prose and wondering what that disgusting smell is. Degrees in Anthropology and History prepared him for unemployment, but an obsession with horror fiction and a laundry list of phobias provided a more attractive option.

League of Magi (2 books)
  • The Daughter Gambit (League of Magi, #2)