Start by marking “Shadow Hawk (Vintage Ace, 75991)” as Want to Read:
Shadow Hawk (Vintage Ace, 75991)

Shadow Hawk (Vintage Ace, 75991)

When his position at court is usurped by his half brother, a young Egyptian nobleman seeks to regain his standing through military victories against the enemy.
Published 1971 by Ace (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Hawk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Hawk

Paul Genesse
Jul 24, 2012 Paul Genesse rated it it was amazing
Great adventure set in ancient Egypt. Andre Norton is a masterful author and I loved her characterization and the excellent plot. I flew through this book, which is just over 200 pages and is a really quick read. Shadow Hawk is a must read for those who love novels set in ancient Egypt. You can pick it up used in various places.

Paul Genesse
Author of the Iron Dragon series
Claire Banschbach
Nov 21, 2014 Claire Banschbach rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. I read it at least once a year. It has heavily influenced my own storytelling. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves historical fiction or stories of Ancient Egypt.
Valerie
Norton skipped from one genre to another. This is another of the backwaters of history: Egypt occupied by the Hyksos, and most of the Egyptians withdrawn to Upper Egypt (which, confusingly, is in the
South--always had trouble with that'n).

If I'd read the blurbs before I read the book, I would have put it down unread. Norton's tendency to glorify warfare has always been one of the things that alienated me most. But there're a lot of things that make the book worth reading: the discussion of Egypt
Darcy
Apr 13, 2012 Darcy rated it it was ok
I enjoy historical fiction, but this one was very difficult for me to get through. Every chapter was exactly the same length (too long), so some were clearly trying to pack too much information into a small space, while others seemed to be stretching out what could have been said more succinctly. As another reviewer has already said, there were far too many scenes in each chapter, making it difficult to follow and digest. Each character was referred by at least 2-3 different names, and those nam ...more
Ak Hauck
Jan 18, 2016 Ak Hauck rated it did not like it
Used this book as a read-aloud for our 5th grader studying Ancient Egypt. I found it quite difficult for him to track all the various characters (some of little consequence to the story) and the author writes in heavy handed, long winded, overly detailed sentences. While it is one of a scanty few books about the Hyksos invasion and rule of Ancient Egypt suitable for young people, it is tough treading for the reader, and challenging to follow for the listener.
Elena
This book gets two stars only because it had a good historical setting and some good descriptive scenes. Otherwise, it would get a one. Way too many characters and way too many scenes per chapter. Plus, the overall theme was confusing and there were lots of plot threads that were never followed up or developed properly. Very challenging read for the kids in my class.
Murray Writtle
May 06, 2008 Murray Writtle rated it it was amazing
A pure historical novel No sci-fi at all. Just speculative fiction built around the very few known facts about the Hyksos invasion of Egypt. Very likable main character and a fascinating intro into ancient Egyptian culture.
Jeanne
Jan 10, 2009 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Not at all what I expected. Andre Norton does a good job of conveying an alien or unknown feeling to the things she writes about.
emma grace
This one took me a while to get through; it was a bit slow, but altogether a good story.
John
Mar 06, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1979 grade B
Leah Norton
Nov 18, 2014 Leah Norton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Very difficult for me to get into. I was trying to read it aloud to my boys but the sentences are miles long and awkward at times. Did not finish.
Denise
Sep 13, 2012 Denise is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Currently reading this book....before my son does. It's a challenge to get through so far.
J.M. Cornwell
J.M. Cornwell rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2009
Amber Coleman
Amber Coleman rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2017
Stephanie Leong
Stephanie Leong rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2009
elf
elf rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2009
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2012
Diana Rising
Diana Rising rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2015
Joshua Letchford
Joshua Letchford rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2012
Rl Johnson
Rl Johnson rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2012
Archie
Archie rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2010
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Lee
Lee rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2012
Douglas
Douglas rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2015
Ericka
Ericka rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Ann Brookens
Ann Brookens rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Gregory Lee
Gregory Lee rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Lily Hillbilly
Lily Hillbilly rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Anne Robertson
Anne Robertson rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2016
  • Galen and the Gateway to Medicine
  • Hittite Warrior
  • Sun on the Stubble
  • Honey for a Teen's Heart: Using Books to Communicate with Teens
  • The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt (Landmark Books)
  • Journey Through the Night
  • Son of Charlemagne
  • Camp 30 (Camp X, #2)
  • The Sparrow Found a House (Sparrow Stories #1)
  • Beyond the Desert Gate (Roman Empire Sequence, #4)
  • Scroll of Saqqara
  • The Singing Citadel: Four Tales Of Heroic Fantasy
  • The Reb and the Redcoats
  • The Mammoth Book of Egyptian Whodunnits
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...