Start by marking “The Adventures of Peter Cottontail and His Green Forest Friends” as Want to Read:

The Adventures of Peter Cottontail and His Green Forest Friends

(The Bedtime Story Books)

This deluxe edition presents three of the most popular books by a beloved storyteller. Thornton W. Burgess's timeless tales of woodland whimsy recount the exploits of Reddy Fox, Peter Cottontail, and Grandfather Frog. Featuring the original art by Harrison Cady, the stories offer young readers examples of friendship, honesty, forgiveness, and other virtues.
Published March 19th 2014 by Dover Publications (first published 1914)

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Peter Cottontail and His Green Forest Friends

Start your review of The Adventures of Peter Cottontail and His Green Forest Friends
Karla
I hadn't read any Thornton Burgess since I was a wee tot, and I'd forgotten that these stories were basically a bunch of critters being obnoxious assholes to one another for the trolly lolz. :P
Jon E
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite part was when Reddy Fox was giving Bobby Coon his plan. His plan was Reddy Fox was going to be behind a log and Bobby Coon would be showing him it. His plan was to catch Peter Cottontail. Reddy Fox missed and then Peter Cottontail skipped to something like clover.
Chyina
I've seen movies and tv shows about Peter Cottontail, but admittedly, never read the books. Despite being an adult reading a children's book, I enjoyed the tales. They made me smile and even made me want to read more about the critters in this book. These are wonderful little stories that I think any child could enjoy and most adults would like for a quick light read.
Kenneth
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of several Thornton W. Burgess books that I remember my dad reading to me and my sister when we were little. Loved them. Later read it on my own.
DelAnne Frazee
Reviewed For NetGalley and Dover Publications
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 5 Stars

Jonathan
This was waaay too episodic and formulaic. It's just "Peter Rabbit changes his name and gets laughed at", "Peter Rabbit fools Reddy Fox" N same same but different ways, and "Peter Rabbit decides to hibernate and gets laughed at". As another reviewer encapsulates perfectly, "these stories were basically a bunch of critters being obnoxious assholes to one another for the trolly lolz". For a child, that might be ok, but for an adult, it just doesn't bring with it that sense of excitement and ...more
Ruth
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
I have a few of these books, which are a happy childhood memory. There are several stories in this little volume. You will find a lesson in each.They definitely qualify as bedtime stories.
Boyschool
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet book!

Just adore all the books in this series of stories about the animals that live in the green meadows and the green forest.
Loralee
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-kids
Very cute, the kids liked it a lot.
Shirley
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We've read this one with each of my kids in their school when they were little. I was surprised they wanted to re-read it again after our last Burgess book, but it is still a good one.
Rachel
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
We love reading aloud Burgess' books. This is an author my son really loves.
Helen
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our favorite adventures yet! Great read aloud for our 4 and 5 year old boys. The chapters are short and have lots of fun adventures that also teach good lessons!
Danielle
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this old time tales written over a century ago. So creative and country.
Jonathan Marshall
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-friendly
The Burgess Books

This is a phrase that brings a smile to my face as often as I hear it. As a young child, I would lose myself for hours in the simple world of the wood and pond inhabited by Little Joe Otter, Buster Bear, Grandfather Frog, and terrorized by Farmer Brown's Boy. I can remember the very shelf, even the exact spot in the little library in Felton, CA where these books were kept. I would return practically every week with a new armload to last me until our next trip to the library.
Lis Ann - The Indigo Quill
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
See full review @ The Indigo Quill

A special thank you to NetGalley and Dover Publications for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This new edition of Thorton W. Burgess' beloved tales is an unabridged republication of three books: The Adventures of Reddy Fox, The Adventures of Peter Cottontail, and The Adventures of Grandfather Frog. Originally published by Little, Brown, and Company in 1913-1915, these stories that have followed us through generations have been
Andréa
The Adventures of Peter Cottontail and His Green Forest Friends comprises three classic Thornton W. Burgess books from the early twentieth century: The Adventures of Reddy Fox (1913), The Adventures of Peter Cottontail (1914), and The Adventures of Grandfather Frog (1915). Each of those books, in turn, is a collection of stories starring the animals of the Green Forest and its surrounding area. Although each book focuses on a different main character, the general cast of characters is the same ...more
Tali
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
A free copy of this book was provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
The Adventures of Peter Cottontail and His Green Forest Friends is actually a collection of three books written by Thornton W. Burgess, about Reddy Fox, Peter Rabbit and Grandfather Frog, all of whom live in the Green Forest.
This is a fairly innocent collection of books (most of these stories were first published in the 1910-20s) which are reminiscent of the stories of Beatrix Potter. In each of these
Anna (BooksandBookends)
I received a copy of 'The Adventures of Peter Cottontail and His Green Forest Friends' by the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is split into three sections, telling the tales of three characters: Peter Rabbit, Grandfather Frog and Reddy Fox. Burgess has written the stories in a style which is somewhat akin to that of Beatrix Potter. Each tale is wonderfully enchanting, with adventure, mischief and humour interspersed throughout. This would be a lovely book to
Bryan
Feb 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is one of the books I remember enjoying the most as a child. I think I was read this when I was about 4 or 5 (before I went to school).

I tried to read it to my 3-year old daughter, but I guess she's not quite ready for a chapter book, and she lost interest after the first 2 or 3 chapters. She prefers books with pictures on every page. I finished reading it myself for nostalgia's sake, and enjoyed the chance to remember my thrill as a young reader.

Plot summary - there's really 3 different
Jimyanni
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
The Thornton Burgess books are all great kids stories, about semi-anthropomorphized animals. They were written in the early 20th century, but aside from the writing style being just a bit old-fashioned, the stories are still great. In this case, I have no idea whether Burgess created his "Peter Rabbit/Cottontail" before or after Beatrix Potter created hers, whether one of them was influenced by the other, or whether "Peter Rabbit" was simply a culturally familiar name before either of them ...more
Emma Filbrun
Peter Rabbit decides that his name is too common. He searches for a new, more exciting name. It doesn’t take long to decide that Peter Rabbit is right for him, though. Peter is constantly having to outwit Reddy Fox, who wants him for dinner, and then when he learns that his friends are hibernating for the winter, he wants to, as well. Learning contentment is a constant struggle for Peter!

Read my full review here.

Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, children-s
I mostly just bought this book because I found it as a 1941 clothbound edition, and I love collecting old books, even though this one was in only OK shape. It's cute, but rather repetitive. If I end up reading this to my daughter (which would not be for a while yet anyway, seeing as she's not even here yet...) I'm not entirely sure if I should read it as is, or maybe slightly sanitize the speech of characters like Ol' Mistah Buzzard and Unc' Billy Possum. Then again, I suppose it would make for ...more
Mary Prado
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
CBZ Book Review---

Written by Authors Thornton W. Burgess and Harrison Cady

This book has three stories--Grandfather Frog, Reddy Fox, and Peter Cottontail. This book teaches children the importance of virtue,forgiveness and honesty. My favorite is Grandfather Frog as there was a lot of adventure and mischief. These stories are timeless and will hold a special place in a child's heart.
Pondering Pig Newton
A little hard to judge Burgess's books today, as it has been sixty years since I devoured them, but as a small boy I read them all - in fact, I think I taught myself how to read just I wouldn't have to wait for bedtime to hear more about the adventures of the animals of the Green Meadows, Smiling Pond, Laughing Brook etc etc.
Jessica
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true childhood treasure. Peter Cottontail and the Beatrix Potter stories were a favorite of mine growing up. Because of these, I have always enjoyed stories that feature animals as the main characters and ultimately fell in love with the Redwall Series.
J. D.
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A walk down Memory Lane. I remember reading, or being read, virtually all the Thornton W. Burgess books about sixty years ago, and find the stories of Peter Rabbit (or Cottontail) just as delightful on current rereading. I'm glad to have bought as many as possible for my grandchildren.
Stacy
I love all Thornton W.Burgess books. He has a warming way of turning children into naturalist through these books. I love 'em all very dearly. Peter cottontail was the first Burgess book I read as a child and I read them to my children.
Cws
Jul 29, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: br
BR3-Bur
Elaine
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it to my siblings last year {I think} and they loved it!
J
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Thornton Burgess tales are superior.

• Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version
  • Owls in the Family
  • Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2)
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
  • In the Year 2889
  • The Blockade Runners (Extraordinary Voyages, #8.5)
  • House of Teeth
  • Nature's Metropolis: Chicago and the Great West
  • The High Cost of Free Parking
  • Brazilian Gold Mine Mystery: A Biff Brewster Mystery Adventure
  • Charles I (Makers of History, #1)
  • Righteous Indignation: Excuse Me While I Save the World!
  • Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us
  • Radical Suburbs: Experimental Living on the Fringes of the American City
  • How to Behave Badly in Renaissance Britain
  • Doktor Ox'un Deneyi
  • Skin
  • The Book of Totally Useless Information
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.

The Bedtime Story Books (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Adventures of Reddy Fox