Start by marking “The Enemy Inside (The Enemy Inside, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Enemy Inside (The Enemy Inside, #1)

The Enemy Inside

(The Enemy Inside #1)

While exploring darkness in others, be careful not to expose your own.

That's what Chicago detective Alicia Raymond discovers when she's assigned to investigate the gruesome torture and murder of a middle-aged trucker with a horrible secret.

Published August 8th 2013 by The Writer's Coffee Shop (first published August 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Enemy Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enemy Inside

MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
A respected detective with the Chicago Police Department’s Special Crimes Unit, Berg, formally known as Detective Alicia Raymond and partner, the irrepressible womaniser, Jay O’Loughlin, are assigned to investigate the murder of a truck driver. As the gruesome remains of dead truckies begin to mount, the pieces start to fall into place and it becomes clear that the deaths are related to a case they have been working on involving a string of missing women.

Personally though, Berg isn’t doing so we
Lynxie
It seems I am on a bit of a crime, mystery, thriller spree at the moment. Totally unintentional, but totally awesome so far.

The Enemy Inside is a brilliant story. It has likable, real and flawed characters. This was probably the best aspect. I loved that there was no Hollywood-ising of them. They had fantastic good qualities and some pretty intense bad ones, it was like reading about real people, not just characters in a book.

Berg (our female lead) was fiercely strong and pigheaded with her poli
Zee Monodee
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm a girlie and fluffy and all that, but I do love a good cop show. You know how CSI and the likes keep you riveted about the world of crime and cops and other TV shows/movies have serial killers and all that lovely hoopla? Well, The Enemy Inside has all this, and more!

I couldn't believe how easy this book was to read. Not the subject matter, but the way Ms Skye puts her words down on the page? Absolutely riveting! I went into this book a bit scared that it would be tedious (after all, my eread
Andrea (mrsaubergine)
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-edits
This book is an amazing debut. It is a rare thing for a whodunnit to have me completely bamboozled until right at the end, but this did, and it did it well. The plot is so well-crafted, with twists and red herrings aplenty, that the pace races along and you find yourself really caring for Berg and Jay.

In fact, I fell a little bit in love with Jay. Unlike the macho cop you expect, he is gentle and truly cares about his partner's downward spiral, the cause of which he doesn't understand. When it
Cindy Bidwell
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
*** I work for the publisher that released this novel, but I honestly enjoyed reading "The Enemy Inside". Written by an Aussie author, it's a well paced read, a little bit gritty with some fairly heavy adult content.

…Give it a go

C
Kari Anderson
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From Goodreads:
While exploring darkness in others, be careful not to expose your own.

That’s what Chicago detective Alicia Raymond discovers when she’s assigned to investigate the gruesome torture and murder of a middle-aged trucker with a horrible secret.

Before she can get a lead on one crime, however, the bodies start piling up and Alicia, better known as Berg, finds herself the unexpected target of the very same legal system she has dedicated her life to.

While simultaneously under attack from
multitaskingmomma
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Exciting Update! Blogtour And Free Ebook Giveaway : The Enemy Inside by Vanessa Skye (@vanessaskye)

Blog Post: http://headouttheoven.blogspot.com/20...

The Enemy Inside (The Writer's Coffee Shop)
Vanessa Skye
Expected Publication Date Aug 8 2013
Crime - Fiction
4.5 out of 5 Stars

Chicago Detective Alicia Raymond, aka Berg, hides her depression and a brutal past with dangerous, anonymous sex and an obsessive desire to track down killers. Bringing murderers to justice is the only thing she has in her lif
Ivyd
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it

Detectives Jay O’Loughlin and Alicia Raymond are assigned by their superior, Captain Leigh, to investigate the murder of a truck driver who was also a habitual sex offender. Soon there are more murdered truckers and the pair race to find some thread leading back to the killer. Their intense investigation takes place against a back drop of political pressure/intimidation and personal crises creating a compulsive read.

THE ENEMY INSIDE is dark, raw and not for the faint of heart or stomach
Book Addict Shaun
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, kindle
Wow. This book was very different from what I was expecting, but it was a thrilling read from start to finish nonetheless. I don't know how I would categorise this. It isn't just your usual crime fiction, it has elements of many other genres. Romance is probably one of them but for the most part the book is about the crimes and the mystery surrounding them. The two main characters also have damaged pasts which seems to be a common theme in books today. For a debut novel this was incredibly well ...more
Passion For Pages
Passion for Pages

I don’t understand why there aren’t more people raving about this book! I don’t understand how this book has gotten so little attention! Why isn’t it on more people’s reading radar?!

Even though I have a fascination with murder mysteries, I don’t usually read them. Why? Because authors rarely write them in a way that I find interesting. I like the detail that goes into the crime scene. I like the blood and gore—although if you asked anyone if that was true they’d laugh and tell y
Kara-karina
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Enemy Inside is a very good police procedural and an excellent crime fiction. I've enjoyed reading about the hunt for the killer, the forensics and the slow detective work. The killings themselves are so vicious and psychotic that you can't help but get a chill just reading about them... But you hear BUT, right?

This is a great debut book for Vanessa Skye, but in my opinion characterisation of the main heroes did not go deep enough for me to truly connect to Berg and Jay.

Both have deep psycho
Keith James
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an excellent book. First time author Vanessa Skye has really nailed it.

Personally I'm not the greatest crime fiction reader, but after the first few pages I was hooked. Simply put, the story revolves around detectives from the Chicago Police Department attempting to solve a series of seemingly unrelated truck driver murders.

The main characters, Detectives Berg and Jay, aren't the normal cop heroes. As the book progresses each is revealed to have a darker, borderline side - particularly Be
Lily Mulholland
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
In this gritty and dark police procedural, debut author Vanessa Skye takes us inside the major crimes division of the Chicago PD. With a female lead, Skye takes us on a journey through the underworld inhabited not only by sadists, rapists and murderers but by the police who try to stop them.

Skye does a creditable job of introducing a strong cast of police who each has their own set of secrets they'd like to keep hidden from their colleagues. She kept me guessing to the end as she intersected cr
Monica
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Detectives Alicia Raymond and Jay O'Loughlin are on the trail of a serial or spree killer(s). Higher ups don't want to believe them due to political reasons. What is the missing link in the cases?

Except for some facts or possibilities it seems the police would have considered earlier on, the evidence and hypothesizing of the detectives and other law enforcement involved with the case read easily and authentically in this multi-leveled and at times darkly mysterious narrative.

Characters are true
Michele
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Not only was I completely surprised by identity of the killer, but I was amazed--and happily so--at how the author used every single detail in the climax of the story. Nothing was filler or fluff--there is a reason for everything. Love that. Unpredictable with lots of twists and turns and a satisfying, if ominous-sounding, conclusion, the author has set up what looks to be an amazing series. I can't wait for the next one!
Sara Lander
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a gripping thriller along the lines of Jeffrey Deaver with the zinging one liners and underlying darkness of Raymond Chandler. I read the book in three sittings and was kept guessing right up until the end. It's hard to believe that this is a first novel, can't wait for the other books in the trilogy.
Scott Craven
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For any fans of the crime/mystery genres, I cannot recommend this book highly enough. The story has a real edge to it, and the character development through the novel speaks to the author's understanding of the frailties of the human condition. Already looking forward to the next novel in the series.
Emma Bowen
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am not a big reader...in fact by the time I get to read a book in the evening, I am usually too tired. However, I became deeply engrossed in The Enemy Inside and it kept me captivated till the end. Vanessa's descriptions of both the characters and each scene make you feel like you are there with them in the story. I am really looking forward to the next chapter of Berg's life. :)
Rachel Devine
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Vanessa Skye had a hold on me till the end, what a wonderfully layered, shocking and satisfying journey. I was pulled into the story line and importantly, the hero character. Now having finished the book, Im eager to continue, eager for the next one.
Sarah Aisling
Aug 11, 2013 added it
Shelves: arc
Review coming soon to www.sarahaisling.com
Christa Beebe
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! Dark, raw and gritty... definitely kept me up at night! Can't wait for book 2 to drop!
Kathy
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Preliminary thoughts: The suspense is amazing, the dialogue is phenomenal, and I would swear that I was watching an episode of CSI or Criminal Minds on television as it played out in my mind.

Vanessa Skye has hit a home run with her debut novel, The Enemy Inside. I was enthralled and on edge throughout most of the book, and I loved every second of it. The writing is superb, but the dialogue for each and every character through the book's entirety certainly stole the show. It was natural, with fee
Heather Lawson
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance copy from NetGalley. Review originally posted on my blog: https://heatherreviews.wordpress.com/...
__________________________________________________________________________

This book is a wild ride from start to finish. Detective Alicia Raymond is battling some serious demons from her past when the case of a dead trucker lands on her desk. Along with her partner, Jay – who she has some complicated feelings for – they try to unravel the increasingly complicated mystery surrou
Gabrielle Mace
Jun 07, 2013
Mal Pollard
Nov 05, 2013
Evan
rated it did not like it
Nov 08, 2016
Libby
Nov 05, 2013
Luami
Feb 28, 2015
Vanessa Skye has always had a love of words and spent her school years writing poetry, speeches and fictional essays.

After completing a Bachelor of Arts in Print Journalism and studying Psychology at Charles Sturt University, Vanessa got a job at Rural Press—Australia's largest publisher of regional and agricultural news and information—where she worked as a journalist in the Central West of NSW f

The Enemy Inside (3 books)
  • Broken (The Enemy Inside, #2)
  • Bloodlines