Start by marking “The View From The Tower” as Want to Read:
The View From The Tower

The View From The Tower

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
"Can she trust them? Can you?" A psychological thriller about love and betrayal, and the damage done when ideals and human lives come into conflict. Helen is in a hotel room with her lover when a gunman murders her husband, Federico, a high-level civil servant, less than a mile away. Helen soon finds herself entangled in a web of suspicion that involves those closest to he ...more
Published January 2nd 2014 by Exhibit A (first published December 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The View From The Tower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The View From The Tower

David Katzman
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: Charles Lambert is an all-around wonderful human being who read the manuscript for A Greater Monster before I published it, and he provided me a thoughtful promotional blurb for it, which graces the back cover. He also wrote a recommendation for me for MFA programs. Given how prolific and busy he is, I can’t say enough about his kindness. Buy his books!

Lambert is a patient, careful writer. A View from the Tower is another great achievement, a work of emotional and psychological
Josh
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
A crippling tale of love, loss, redemption, violence, and political intrigue. THE VIEW FROM THE TOWER is a slow burning crime novel that’s more about retrospective relationships post death than the mystery surrounding the identity and motives of a killer.

Federico is a powerful and influential public servant living in Rome and married to the attractive Helen when he is gunned down running an innocuous errand. At the time of the murder Helen is in bed with former lover and close friend of Federico
Tripfiction
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ROME: A marriage of smoke and mirrors

Another cracking novel from Charles Lambert that transports the reader to Rome, the everyday Rome that often only the locals are 'privileged' to experience (it could be, however, not so much a privileged as a mixed blessing, read on). Mix in Italian politics, the wider Roman family, some manners, morals and mores, and you have a snapshot of the life of one marriage, full of intrigue and deception, set over the period of one week, early June 2004.

Helen, origin
Marleen
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing

I received my copy from the publisher through NetGalley

Over two years ago I read “Any Human Face” by Charles Lambert and was very impressed by this, at the time, new to me author. That book was the first one in a planned trilogy about the darker side of Rome. “The View from the Tower” is the second title in that trilogy and impressed me even more than the first one did.

Just like “Any Human Face” this is a literary thriller. Even though Helen’s husband is murdered at the start of the story the em
Frances Gapper
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A thriller and a page-turner, this book also has considerable psychological depth and I particularly liked the thoughtfulness of its main characters. Moving between the viewpoints of Helen, her lover Giacomo and her friend/colleage Martin, the most obvious question posed by this novel is who killed Helen's husband Federico - but its deeper concerns are to do with relationships and this is what made it fascinating to me. "How unexpected the behaviour of the heart," Martin thinks towards the end. ...more
Lianne
The following review was posted in its entirety at my blog, caffeinatedlife.net: http://www.caffeinatedlife.net/blog/2...

I was approved of an ARC of this title from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The View from the Tower is an intriguing novel in that there is a lot going on underneath the surface, a lot of things that Helen had no idea about. It’s interesting and startling in that, as the reader is learning about these things from Helen’s perspective, the reader a
Charlie Hill
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a nicely judged tale of intrigue and sexual politics, that starts off as a thriller and morphs into a meditation on youth and loyalty and loss. The sense of place is very strong and although the politics are ever-present, they never threaten to overwhelm the more basic pleasures of life (don't read this if you're thinking of giving up cheese or wine...); in this respect, it reminded me of the Barcelona-set novels of Manuel Vazquez Montalban. Prose-wise, Lambert wears his obvious eruditio ...more
Kirsten
May 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I read a lot of thrillers.....and this one just did nothing for me. Not really suspenseful in any way....as one other reviewer put it, I was not glued to the edge of my seat or anything. I found it to be more of a psychological study than anything else. The writing was good, and I found the alternating third-person narration an interesting approach.

I might have enjoyed the book more if I had liked *any* of the characters except Alina. I found all of them selfish , arrogant and cruel....which may
Charleen
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more of a quiet novel than I was expecting, but I did really enjoy it. Unlike some other slower books, I was never bored, but instead enjoyed the slow reveal of details, some of which are already known to the characters but not the reader, and some a secret to nearly everyone.

You can read an extended review on my blog:
Review: The View From the Tower

(review copy received via NetGalley)
Beverley Albright
Apr 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book on the goodreads giveaway.

Unfortunately, I did not care for this book. Politics is not my thing and Italian politics even more so. If it had been just the murder and love triangle, then I may have enjoyed it more. I just couldn't get interested in the characters because the past and present political landscape did me in.
Matthew Ogborn
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
More a densely layered character study than intricately plotted story, this was a welcome change of pace. I started reading it in Rome, which proved evocative. The mixture of political flip flopping, spousal mystery and family intrigue was potent enough for me to carry on reading more of his novels.
Heather
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a Goodreads First Reads giveaway winner!

This book started out really slow for me (considering the subject matter). But I felt like it had potential, so I kept reading, and I'm glad I did. It came to an unexpected head and conclusion. If you're a fan of murder and international intrigue, check this one out!
carelessdestiny
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: murders
This slow and intense novel featuring characters I would never like to know had me riveted until the final, and very strange, last sentence. I'm dazzled by the psychological veracity and the control the prose exerts on revelations in the plot.
Garrett Klein
Mar 14, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a good, decent thriller. The third-person narration style was interesting as it switched between the points of view of the different characters in the story, and the descriptions of the scenery were vibrant. That being said, it didn't glue me to the edge of my seat or anything.
Diana Donnelly
May 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was a Goodreads win. I give every book a 100 pages to hook me and this one I didn't get into. With so many books to read I just do not continue if the interest isn't there.,
Cindy
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Creepy kind of character study, takes a couple of twists that surprise. The title's explanation is thought-provoking.
Maria
Apr 21, 2015
Dot Win
May 09, 2017
Charles
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Scott
Ed
Feb 26, 2014
Tracy
Mar 30, 2014
  • Letters From a Murderer (Finley Jameson & Joseph Argenti #1)
  • The Cambodian Book of the Dead
  • Clean Burn (Janelle Watkins, Private Investigator, #1)
  • Rotten at the Heart
  • Hard Road (Jon Reznick, #1)
  • Lawless & The Devil of Euston Square: Introducing Campbell Lawless
  • Zero at the Bone (Frank Swann, #2)
  • Scare Me
  • One More Body
  • What Makes You Die
  • The Clearing
  • Skin of the Wolf
  • Combustion (Judd Bell & Corey Purchase, #2)
  • Wounded Prey (Farrell & Kearns, #1)
  • Courier
  • Who is Killing the Great Capes of Heropa?
  • Heartwood (Elemental Wars, #1)
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
Charles Lambert was born in the United Kingdom but has lived in Italy for most of his adult life. His latest novel, The Children's Home, described by Kirkus Reviews as 'a one-of-a-kind literary horror story', is set in neither country. Earlier books include three novels, a collection of prize-winning short stories and a memoir, With a Zero at its Heart, selected by the Guardian as one of its top t ...more
More about Charles Lambert...