Start by marking “Green Lantern: New Guardians, Volume 3: Love and Death” as Want to Read:
Green Lantern: New Guardians, Volume 3: Love and Death

Green Lantern: New Guardians, Volume 3: Love and Death

(Green Lantern: New Guardians (Collected Editions) #3)

Tying into the latest Green Lantern event masterminded by comics' hottest writer Geoff Johns, Kyle Rayner and his fellow Ringer bearers must join forces to beat back Green Lantern: The Third Army and survive Green Lantern: The Wrath of the First Lantern! Green Lantern Kyle Rayner must master the emotional spectrum itself in order to stand a chance against the Third Army. B ...more
Published February 4th 2014 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Green Lantern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Lantern

Start your review of Green Lantern: New Guardians, Volume 3: Love and Death
Anne
There may be spoilers for other Green Lantern books in this review
Not that anybody cares what the hell is happening with the Green Lanterns anymore...

So I read this hoping I would maybe find some answers to why Carol's love ring was pointing in Kyle's direction in Green Lantern, Vol. 4: Dark Days.
Let me save you the time. If there's an answer, it's not in this.

The rest of the book was all about Kyle zooming from one end of space to another, trying to learn how to wield The Force.
Most of it
Jesse A
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Probably the best volume so far of this series.
Gavin
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Yawn.

I think this settles it.
I am NOT a GL fan. Especially not Kyle and the rainbow brigade. To be honest, it's not even Kyle and gang anymore, it's Kyle and Carol, with bits of others. We never even see the Red Lady Lantern from earlier volumes who had some strange chemistry with Kyle.

I skimmed this because it's just too stupid. Green Lantern as a series cannot work because there's always a major huge story building. They need to accept the idea for smaller arcs, or throw away issues or one sh
Douglas Gibson
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been obsessed with Kyle Rayner for the past year and am looking this new series! This volume takes us along as Kyle tries to master all the various emotions that come with the different colors of the spectrum and each story develops his character as much as it does the plot, which is what makes it such a great read. The ending of this volume is Geoff Johns' comic masterpiece, "The End," which i have read twice before, but still read again a third time as a wrap up to Kyle's story. Not to ...more
Michael Church
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
I read this in conjunction with Green Lantern Vol 3 as it was part of these events as well. Honestly, the book was hit and miss for me. I'm probably going to keep up with it because I'm a big Kyle Rayner fan and it's taking him in an interesting direction, but that's not a universal recommendation.

The only thing the book does consistently well is the fun factor. It seems this is the easiest place to readily find non-green lanterns as part of a story. I enjoyed seeing Kyle progress through these
Joshua
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The artwork is still absolutely superb! The story writing is great! There are so many stories in this book because it's so thick, or vice versa. I got at the least 2 hours worth of read time out of it. Plus it's just a $17 book! Great monetary value!
Rocky Sunico
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, green-lantern
This entire run of the New Guardians book has been trying to hint at significant purpose for Kyle Rayner beyond his former role as the torchbearer of the Green Lanterns. Here we have him trying to learn to master control over all the colors of the emotional spectrum much like what we saw in the Avatar cartoon series as Aang tried to learn his elements. As tied to the whole Third Army storyline, it didn't quite pan out to be as powerful or narratively significant as they were hyping it up to be a ...more
Andrea
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-new-52
Entirely in the Rise of the Third Army trade...
Mandy
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, dc, comics
Parmesh Kamptapersaud
it was okay
Derrick
Solid book with good writing and lovely art.

Low rating because, despite this volume's large page count, most of it takes place within two large Lantern-verse crossovers. Which means it's confusing and incomplete. Both of those stories seem interesting, and I am looking forward to reading Green Lantern: Rise of the Third Army and Green Lantern: Wrath of the First Lantern. But if all I had was this book, I would be well lost.
Matt Raymond
Again, things shifted around so that I liked & hated a bunch of new things. But really, it's such a bore. Nothing could make it interesting. Not even Carol getting her Star Sapphire on to bring back Hal.

The main story is just Kyle, being kind of manipulated by Carol, to master the emotional spectrum so he can be a white lantern. The most interesting parts of the story revolve around that, and still it's dull. After the first two colors are mastered, it gets repetitive. Cool, but nothing interest
Christopher Rush
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Despite the terrible mismanagement of the goal of this journey, Kyle Rayner enjoyably embarks on the typical epic hero quest to master the resources under his control. Not since Lion-O conquered all around him have we seen a hero as well-rounded and thoroughly justified in ruling as Kyle Rayner. Until they throw it all away in, as we said, a terribly mismanaged climax to the Rise of the Third Army storyline, scraping Kyle as the savior of the spectrum and secret weapon against the Third Army in ...more
Cale
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
The other obnoxious thing about massive crossovers? You're never completely sure you've gotten the whole story. I thought I had read all the pieces of the Green Lantern story, but there were issues in this oversize edition I hadn't read (among several issues I had). So more pieces get filled in, but ultimately don't add a whole lot to the overall picture. It still has the same 'epic' climax and closure. Same artwork (which is admittedly pretty good, and makes good use of the entire rainbow in it ...more
Anchorpete
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think Tony Bedard is one of the most underrated writers in comics. His Blue Beetle run is one of the best DC comics I have ever read. I am pretty sure they used his take on Jaime Reyes for the Second Season of Young Justice.
I think this book is great. Kyle Rayner is probably fourth, if I was going to rank the now 5 Green Lanterns from Earth. This book puts Rayner in the spotlight, and actually makes good use of his tragic/ridiculous "Fridging" story.
I am pretty sure this book ended up getti
Kyle
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: dcu
Some of this was a little interesting, namely the parts of the story that have Kyle trying to master the different colours of the emotional spectrum... Although, a pattern develops quickly, so by the time he gets around to the Red Lanterns, it all feels rather meh.

Sadly, a lot of the book is just filler for the Wrath of the First Lantern storyline.... Which was an utterly boring rehash of how each character's life may have played out differently if key emotional moments in the past had been chan
Eric Mikols
Feb 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: green-lantern
This title never really lived up to it's potential. Sometimes, it wanted to be about Kyle being able to use every color of the emotional spectrum, but other times it was about a team made up of individules from every corps. I was more interested in the latter, but the book was never sure which it wanted to focus on. This volume just kind of stutters its way through the Wrath of the First Lantern series and then sets Kyle up as a White Lanter. So, Kyle is back to being godlike in power and the te ...more
Stephen Kacir
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot to recommend in this final chapter of the New Guardians saga, but the end of the book gets cluttered with cross-over dreck that is barely intelligible without access to the other books involved in the cross-over. I will miss this comic series far more than I should, and I'm disappointed that DC didn't give it a more cohesive ending. Kyle is my favorite Green Lantern, and I hope that DC doesn't Wally West him into oblivion or forget him. Kyle is so much more interesting than Hal Jo ...more
Heather
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of Green Lantern for a long time and I never really expected to read another story equal to Blackest Night, but Bedard's New Guardians was every bit as good. The artwork has been solid throughout the whole run and this last volume is no exception.

As a bonus, there was very little Hal Jordan in this title and if we are being honest he really has been bringing things down in this universe for a while now.

Readers, beware. You need to read several other G.L. titles if you plan to k
Frederick Tan
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This issue is about the latest earthling green lantern Kyle Rayner. He is faced against The Third Army and need his friends and all their rings in order to stem against this new menace. Green Lantern Kyle Rayner must master the emotional spectrum itself in order to stand a chance against the Third Army. In the process of mastering the emotional spectrum of the various rings, he came face to face with the original lantern.
Isaiah
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Now that was a great read. Truly a definitive end to a great run. Makes me want to read the larger tie in it was attached to now. Kyle really came into his own as a lantern and a person. I did enjoy the parallels the story brought out to everyday life. Usually DC Comics don't do that but when the do it's time to take notice because it is inspirational.
Adam Fisher
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty sure I read most of this Volume before, in trying to keep up with both "Rise of the Third Army" and "Wrath of the First Lantern" storylines. Overall, the volume was good, but it has me wondering.... what's next for the whole Green Lantern part of DC's New 52?
High Recommend
Daniel Butcher
Mar 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-52
Really part of the Third Army storyline, but contains only one issue printed elsewhere in Green Lantern #20 (which is in a lot of places).

It just never clicked with me as a story I love and is probably my least favorite of the GL New 52 titles.
Laurel
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: green-lantern
Another enjoyable Green Lantern book for a fan but not really designed for new readers. Story isn't quite complete without the other GL titles. Still, I have always loved Kyle Rayner and was happy to explore his character some more. Art was a bit uneven but overall very good.
Jason
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
On the whole I enjoyed the book. I didn't think they handled the transition from being about Kyle to being about Hal terribly well. I loved getting more insight on the mythos of the power in the emotional spectrum. All in all a good book!
Liam Jennings
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
every time I think this is the weakest title in the GL range, Tony Bedard manages to spin it into something much deeper. I still think Kyle Raynor is the least appealing of all the Lanterns , but the writing here is why I keep coming back.
Angela
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, dc
Kyle has to learn the skills of all the other Lantern Corps to defeat a bad guy. This is quite fun, and looks at the characters of all the new guardians. I really like how this team interacts. A good read.
Adam Fisher
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall a good book, but the storyline is starting to feel a little dry. Need something major to shake it up. Still a great read though.
Jonathan
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This universe crossover was so epic. Each time I get to a green lantern vol 3 in the New 52 universe, it just grows that story line even bigger!
Tomas
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Flashbacks, alternative pasts, mind-altering...really unnecessary piece in the series..

• Green Lantern, Volume 3: The End
  • Shazam!
  • Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 8: The Death of Daredevil
  • Green Lantern Corps, Volume 4: Rebuild
  • Green Lantern Corps, Volume 1: Fearsome

Green Lantern: New Guardians (Collected Editions) (6 books)
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians, Volume 1: The Ring Bearer