Start by marking “With Child (Kate Martinelli, #3)” as Want to Read:
With Child (Kate Martinelli, #3)

With Child (Kate Martinelli #3)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  2,829 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
She would never have exposed Julia to danger. She had said so herself. But she would have to eat her words, when things started to spiral out of control. Like an arrow though her heart.
Published January 7th 2014 by Picador (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about With Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Child

Po Over
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery

Inspector Al Hawkins is engaged to Jani, an intriguing character to whom we were first introduced in Laurie R. King's scintillating debut, A Grave Talent. In With Child -- King's third installment of the Kate Martinelli series -- Jani's rebellious teenage daughter, Jules, is not taking the transition well. She confides as much to the transient neighborhood youth, Dio. When Dio mysteriously goes missing, Jules engages father-to-be's partner, Kate Martinelli, to investigate. This proves to be quit

Heather
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just gave in and let myself spend the afternoon finishing this book. While I wasn't impressed with every aspect of the writing (sometime the dialogue seemed a little stilted), I ultimately became totally absorbed in the story. I'm impressed with the complexity and depth of the characters and can't wait to read another book in the series. This is the first one I've read -- someone gave me this book a while ago and frankly I was reading it so that I could pass it on or get rid of it -- now I wan ...more
Carol
I recently discovered Ms. King and have liked her work..This story was from her Kate Martinelli series. Kate has offered to watch Jules the thirteen year old stepdaughter of her friend and fellow police partner,while the couple are on their honeymoon. Kate decides to take a long car drive with Jules to surprise her friend in Washington. They stop for the night at a motel. The next morning Jules is gone. Kate already frantic finds out from the locals that a serial killer is on the loose..
WK
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lrk
Emotions run high in this Martinelli book where Kate is unwelcomingly given hard lessons in self realization by her life-partners behavior. In addition her dogged detective skills have never been more important then when Kate is given the responsibility of child-sitting Al new teenage daughter, and she disappears.
Jessica
King crafts her mysteries so much better than most other authors, even though (or maybe because) the mystery isn't an end in itself - it's a lens through which we see the characters grow and wrestle with themselves. A+ as always.
Harry
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was entertaining and a good read but got better and better as it went along. Realistic with dogged detective work in spite of failure but not overdone.
Mike Cuthbert
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an odd mystery in that it doesn’t really become a mystery until 2/3 in. Up until then it is a fascinating character study of a wounded San Francisco detective, Kate Martinelli, her partner, Lee and a confused and confusing teen, Jules Cameron. Add in Jules’ friend, Dio, and you have an interesting cast, but nothing much happens to them until Jules begins getting mysterious calls and Kate decides to take Jules on a trip north of San Francisco. The book then shifts into high gear and becom ...more
Vickie
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book 5 stars because I could NOT put it down. Halfway through I was completely committed to the plot and stayed up a few hours past my bedtime to finish it. the ending was quite, quite abrupt, which left me a little bit unsatisfied, but I still enjoyed myself up to that point.

I was a bit concerned because I read the first, but not the second, book in this series. Fortunately the jump is not too crazy, and I was able to deduct what had previously occured no problem.

I'm not a fan of th
Linda S Adams
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Laurie R King!

I have been reading King for years - but the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series, not the Kate Martinelli books. I started with the first one of the series, A Grave Talent, followed by To Play the Fool and now by this one ... With Child. The main character, Kate Martinelli, is an experienced San Francisco police officer in the mid 1990*s who has just been transferred to Homicide in the first book of the series.

But as with all the Laurie R King books that I have read , these a
Susan W
Not as good as her others, but a good read.
  • The Intersection of Law and Desire (Micky Knight, #3)
  • I'll Be Leaving You Always (Lauren Laurano, #2)
  • Califia's Daughters
  • Apparition Alley (Kate Delafield, #6)
  • Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1)
  • Stay (Aud Torvingen #2)
  • Till the Butchers Cut Him Down
  • Petty Treason (Sarah Tolerance, #2)
Edgar-winning mystery writer Laurie R. King writes series and standalone novels. Her official forum is
THE LRK VIRTUAL BOOK CLUB here on Goodreads--please join us for book-discussing fun.

King's most recent novel, Dreaming Spies, sees Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes travel from Japan to Oxford, in a case with international players and personal meaning. The Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series foll
More about Laurie R. King...

Kate Martinelli (5 books)
  • A Grave Talent  (Kate Martinelli, #1)
  • To Play the Fool (Kate Martinelli, #2)
  • Night Work (Kate Martinelli, #4)
  • The Art of Detection (Kate Martinelli, #5)