Start by marking “Rapeseed” as Want to Read:
Rapeseed

Rapeseed

Rapeseed is a wonderful coming-of-age novel about an extraordinary woman. It's a more standard coming-of-age story of a teen-age boy, and a more unusual coming-of-age of an American family abroad... because families mature like this too. It is a many-colored, multi-cultural novel. From a small Kansas town, Carolann Cooper is a synesthete with blended senses. She sees her l ...more
Published September 1st 2013 by Gobreau Press

To ask other readers questions about Rapeseed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rapeseed

Start your review of Rapeseed
Nancy Freund
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well, I'm the author, and it took me 10 years to write and publish this novel, so I alternate between thinking it's a 5-star read and less-than- zero. It's got some complicated themes within a pretty easy-to-read, accessible story-line, so I'll just be bold and give it five stars.
Nancy Freund
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm the author... if anyone's going to give Rapeseed five stars, it better be me!
Gretchen
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
An interesting story, with some big questions at its center - how do you define yourself? And how does that change in relation to how others define you? Among the challenges characters in the book are facing: physical deformity, adolescence, culture change, pre-marital pregnancy, death, guilt and several others I'm probably forgetting.

I really enjoyed the novel when I was able to see through the rear view mirror how it all fit together. During the book which is a very fast read, there were too
Gydle
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great first book by Nancy Freund. Had a bit of a slow start - not quite sure where we are and what the story threads are, but then it picks up nicely and the pieces start to come together. The experience of being an American expat is really well captured - the confusion, cultural differences, difficulty finding your bearings. This woman is pretty unmoored in her life, and the book is about finding your bearings in a marriage and as a parent as well as in a new country.

The main character is synes
Katie
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Literary fiction is not my thing. I go for more fast-paced paranormal YA. But I think it's a good thing to stretch my brain cells every once in a while and read something out-of-the-ordinary for me. And every once in a while I'm glad I did. Rapeseed made me glad to have read out of my comfort zone.

I give this book five stars because the writing was seriously stellar. The story wasn't perfect. I did have some issues with the characters and motivations and some threads I didn't really understand.
Seetha Chinnappa-Sarwal
Nancy Freund's book Rapeseed asks us to travel from the wheat fields of Kansas to the auction houses of England and to begin with I was not sure what to expect - was it just another book about expat life? Indeed, the writing is authentic and amusing in its approach to two countries divided by a common language, but the story covers some dark themes and is really about two generations fighting their demons. I particularly loved the gentle portrayal of characters, especially of Chip, the enlighten ...more
Mary Albanese
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
PACKED WITH EMOTIONAL PUNCH!

RAPESEED by Nancy Freund is about a fictional US family on a one year assignment in England. Although I have now lived in England for 16 years and it feels like old hat, their struggles with British ettiquette and simple things (getting a bank account) really resonnated with me. On top of that, there's the outrageous plot with big emotions that just won't quit (think jealous twins), all masterfully delivered just when I was dying to hear the next bit. If you are an ex
Bonnie Boyles
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for a debut author and debut press, Gobreau Press. It's been over a week since I read "Rapeseed", and I keep mulling over the family relationships. The colorful theme drew me but Carolann's son added a great benefit to reading this book. I left the book with a new favorite fictional character, Carolann's son. His growth and independent thoughts kept my attention throughout the book.
Enid L.  Lapham
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daffodil Yellow

The color of rapeseed flowers in the sun. It tells of promise and hope. Disabilities can be terrible, but only when we allow it. I enjoyed this story of a budding teen and his parents as they mature in a land distant from small town Kansas. Getting out into the broader world grows everyone. Read it and find out for yourself.
J'pkorir Rose
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
highest color mentions in a book, color has not been attached to every possible human sense before.
" sometimes,evidently, rape wasn't black and white and it wasn't varying shades of gray. Sometimes, in very particular circumstances, it turned out, rape was an unbelievable sunshine yellow.."
and if the original title of the book was The Color of Rape, it would have been one STAR down
gj indieBRAG
We are proud to announce that RAPESEED by Nancy Freund is a B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!

Sophie Knight
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very well written and interesting subjects such as synesthesia and expat life.
Elizabeth (Alaska)
Apr 28, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Homeless Heart
  • Kept
  • The Sandover Beach Billionaire (The Billionaire Surprise #6)
  • The Promises You Keep
  • The Hermit Next Door
  • Sunshine & Secrets (The Paradise Cookery School #1)
  • Tuesday's Child
  • The Secret Place
  • The Girls Across The Bay (Knox and Sheppard, #1)
  • Bailey's Law (Jack Bailey #1)
  • The Cowboy's Christmas Bride (Cowboys of Chance Creek, #9)
  • Search for Maylee
  • Blues of Autumn
  • Chasing the Butterfly
  • Montana Mail Order Brides Box Set: Books 4 - 6
  • The Wave at Hanging Rock
  • Heavy Weather (A Carolina Coast Novel)
  • The Father's Cabin (Kingdom Living #1)
Nancy Freund is a writer, editor, speaker, prior English teacher, and mentor. Born in New York, raised in Kansas City, and educated in Los Angeles, she was married in England, and today lives in French-speaking Switzerland. She is the author of Foreword Reviews finalist for Book of the Year in General Fiction and Category Finalist for the Eric Hoffer Prize 'Rapeseed,' (Gobreau Press, 2013) 'Global ...more

News & Interviews

“A boy starts with bravado, and then he grows into real bravery." -- Nancy Freund, Rapeseed” 0 likes
“A boy starts with bravado, and then he grows into real bravery.” 0 likes