Start by marking “Lucky Thirteen (Frontlines, #2.1)” as Want to Read:
Lucky Thirteen (Frontlines, #2.1)

Lucky Thirteen

(Frontlines #2.1)

Rookie pilot Halley's first drop ship command.

A short story in the Terms of Enlistment universe.

170 KB
ebook, Kindle, 14 pages
Published April 14th 2013 by Frostbite Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Lucky Thirteen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucky Thirteen

Start your review of Lucky Thirteen (Frontlines, #2.1)
Trish
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite episodes of Love, Death & Robots was this one about a ship that is said to be the unluckiest but actually proves to be great in the right hands.

Lucky Number Thirteen is so named for her serial number and after a few fateful incidents, she's almost feared for the bad luck she supposedly attracts. But then she gets a new pilot, who neither believes in ships having characters nor in any sort of luck. She'll find out that at least one of those assumptions is wrong.
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
This is a short companion novella featuring Halley. It was my least favorite book of the series. Not a bad story but just didn't capture my interest as the others did.
Gianfranco Mancini

Her hull number wasn’t actually 13. She wore a dark red 5 on her olive drab flanks. But one of the grease monkeys had found her assembly number plate while swapping out some fried parts one day, and the news made the rounds that the unlucky ship’s serial number was 13-02313. Not only did it have a leading and trailing 13 in it, but all the digits of her serial number also added up to 13. Thusly branded, she was named “Lucky Thirteen”, and put in storage as a cold spare until they needed an airf
Mike (the Paladin)
Did you read Terms of Enlistment? if you did you met Andrew and Halley who "fell in love" during basic training (hey it's the future, they were bunk mates...nothing like when I was in the army). This book takes place before the climatic events in that book but after the events of basic training. Halley is in her fist posting as a Marine Drop Pilot and her ship is..."Lucky 13". The ship got it's name because it twice survived to come back into service after all hands in it (crew and troops) were killed. ...more
Stephen
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Learned of this story from friend Trish. The book version of my favorite episode from Netflix's animated series Love, Death & Robots. My first Marko Kloos read. Impressive.

One of the most important things in any story is voice. Do the words on the page allow the reader to imagine the characters in all their nuance? Absent proper voice, the smart edgy femme fatale can translate as whiny witch, the manly hero as arrogant oaf. Kloos gets voice and in Lucky Thirteen voices Lt. "Comet" Hally perfect
Kingley
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, frontlines
Underrated short story, I think this is up there with Mountains of Mourning by Lois McMaster Bujold.
Laurence
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nice vignette to the larger story, sure.
Laura Larson
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: october-2018
This would more accurately be considered 1.1 as it occurs AFTER book 1 in the series but BEFORE book 2.
It's nice to see a bit of Halley, even if it is just a short story. I love her repeated proclamations to not be superstitious... but you can feel her heart arguing with her mind even in the short 15 pages this story occupies. One tough broad... and one big softy <3
Edward Ruschmann
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The real deal.

I'm a ground pounder so can't speak to the piloting skills. But the chopper rides I've had tell me the author damn well knows about hot zones.
James
Another piece of the Terms of Enlistment world and more development of another character, this time one who was a major part of the first novel. As with A Measure of Absolution, this story shows more of the stories' world and puts the reader behind the eyes of a different narrator.

So far I've really enjoyed the three things I've read by Marko Kloos, and I hope he's got a long and productive career ahead. As a (now-retired) career military type myself, I've found the stories to have a
Sineala
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is pretty much as the summary states -- a short story set in the Terms of Enlistment universe, about Halley's first dropship missions. I liked the novel, and I liked Halley (probably more than I liked the actual main character), so it was nice to see something from her POV. It's what you'd expect. There are spaceships. Stuff explodes. If you liked the novel, you enjoy books with spaceships and explosions, and you have a dollar you weren't doing anything else with, you might as well read it. ...more
G33z3r
Military SF story of shuttle pilot during internecine fighting on colony planet, happens to involve a character from Kloos's Terms of Enlistment series. (Non-essential backstory.)
Ramkumar Sundarakalatharan
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mil-fi
Will State The obvious, Marko Kloos is not Robert A. Heinlein and the Frontlines series is not Starship Soldiers/Troopers.

Actually, kind of picked Lucky 13 from the series even though I knew it was technically book 2.1. I wanted to know if I will enjoy reading it and what best way to understand than by a 36 page short story set in the same universe. A classic Military Science fiction. Out and out a fast paced read. The action sequences and scenes are vivid. Author has brought them before your e
JPT
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Frank
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable Short

Waiting for the next book in the series I've been reading other novels, but today I wanted the familiar territory of a known work. As I scrolled through my kindle liking at all I'd loaded I saw the two shirts by Marko Kloos. I picked Lucky Thirteen because I'm saving the other for just a little longer, until I have a stronger desire to live in Marko's universe.
This did not disappoint. The writing is as well done as the novels. The character has the same feel, and the story is
Guy Wheatley
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is another side trip into he Frontlines series, but unlike “Measures of Absolution,” this stands in it’s own right as an excellent read. We get insight into another important character in the series but even more importantly we get a feel for the soul of this universe and it’s creator. This is WWII corny at it’s absolute best. This short story follows pilot Lt. Halley on her first drop ship command in an old and out of date ship named Lucky 13. There is more heart in that ship and in this s ...more
Brandon
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
First I bought this by mistake I love Marko Kloos work and thought it was a side story for the Frontlines saga (which it is). The only problem is I didn’t see that it was only 30 mins long, but that aside I did real enjoy Nicol Zanzarella’s performance and I would have been happier with the book if it would have been around 2-1/2 hours long but for $1.99 for 30 min I didn’t feel like I got my money worth out of this short story.
Frances Law
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Poignant.

Kloos does a good job of guiding your feelings in respect of the ship Lucky 13. Named this partly because of it's manufacturer's plate which starts and ends with 13 and partly because it has lost its full crew and all on board twice without sustaining much damage to itself, it's considered anything but lucky. But then it finds itself with a young rookie pilot who disagrees with the gossip.
This is the poignant tale of their partnership.
Roger Wu
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Humans at war have always believed their machines were more than machines

This combat sci-fi short story drops right into that genre—-the loving crew chief, the bad luck streak, the human quality of the ship/plane/chopper. Like Robert Mason’s biography of his time as a Huey pilot in Vietnam (Chickenhawk), or some of the memoirs of the British aces and their Spitfires...this story imagines that future relationship happening again...
David Harriss
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Short, pointed, authentic.

This is a small one, told by Lt Halley. If that made no sense, check out Terms of Enlistment by the author.
It is 15 to 30 minutes of reading that feels like some of the stories my grandfather told about flying for the Army Air Corps in Italy - authentic. Not great, not bad, it fills a gap in Grayson's tale.
Janna
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Possibly the perfect short story - no background requested

Though i have read all of the Frontlines books, I didn't need to for this story. Having that background info feels more like the privilege of a special club than any kind of necessity. The protagonist is a favorite secondary character of mine, and the chance to read more about her experience was a treat.
Phil Jeffery
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Bought this by mistake, wanting to continue to read the Frontlines series. It was very short (30 min audiobook) - hey it was my mistake, I should have check the length first. The story itself was fine, but didn't really add any extra understanding about the series at all, just a nice little self contained side plot (unless there's some reference to it later I'm not aware of yet!).
Christopher
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-amazon
If you watched LRD you already know the story. I like that version because it gave the ship more presence, but I also like this version because it takes that part away.

Like that makes sense, right.

Anyway, a fun short read. I'll check out the rest of the universe eventually...

*looks at queue*

right?
M.E. II
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent short story

I love Kloos' frontline series. Read them all several times. Was excited to see this short story adapted for Netflix anthology series, love death and robots. Both versions are wonderful!
James Cox
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great short story

After reading the Frontline series, I discovered this short story. It is literally perfect. Both the tech, characters and story meshes nicely with the larger series. I just wish it had been a lot longer.
Fred Wagner
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite enjoyable for a 33-minute shortie of a novella. The narrator and her MC counterpart were enjoyable as well. An interesting change of pace. Enough said. Lucky Thirteen is gone now... but never forgotten.
Brook
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
It was fine. A small slice of side story, adjacent to the main Andrew Grayson narrative.

Very short and of little depth. More of a story of the dropship, rather than Haley. No insight to the character, no real story to speak of.

It was good, but I was hoping for more.
Mark Zodda
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting short story.
Dalida Jongsma
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great little story!

This story is about Hallys first drop ship. Have a little insight into how pilots think about their ships. Especially their first ones
Aaron Anderson
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this better than book 1 or 2 of the main series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Archangel One
  • Omega Rising (Omega Force, #1)
  • Battleground (Black Fleet Saga 7)  (Unification War Trilogy, #1)
  • Call to Arms (Black Fleet Trilogy, #2)
  • Message for the Dead (Galaxy's Edge, #8)
  • Warrior King (Odyssey One, #5)
  • Iron Wolves (Order of the Centurion, #2)
  • UnArcana Stars (Starship's Mage, #6)
  • Into the Unknown (A Standalone Mystery Thriller) (Scott Standalones Book 2)
  • Soldiers of Fortune (Omega Force, #2)
  • Columbus Day (Expeditionary Force, #1)
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
  • When Duty Calls (Legion, #8)
  • A Fighting Chance (Legion, #9)
  • Return of the Archon (Omega Force, #5)
  • The Enemy Within (Omega Force, #4)
  • Odysseus Ascendant (Odyssey One #7)
  • Turning Point (Galaxy's Edge, #7)

Frontlines (6 books)
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
“since the moment those photons left our own sun, I had been born, raised, educated, inducted into the Commonwealth Defense Corps, and trained to fly a drop ship, and I had still beaten the light to Fomalhaut by a few days.” 0 likes