Start by marking “Five Days in Skye (MacDonald Family Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Five Days in Skye (MacDonald Family Trilogy, #1)

Five Days in Skye

(MacDonald Family Trilogy #1)

Hospitality consultant Andrea Sullivan has one last chance to snag a high-profile client or she'll have to kiss her dreams of promotion good-bye. When she's sent to meet Scottish celebrity chef James MacDonald on the Isle of Skye, she just wants to finish her work as efficiently as possible. Yet her client is not the opportunistic womanizer he portrays himself to be, and h ...more
Published June 10th 2013 by David C. Cook

Start your review of Five Days in Skye (MacDonald Family Trilogy, #1)
Carla Laureano
May 08, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
It seems a bit self-serving to rate and review the book considering I wrote it, but that blank rating space stares at me every time I log on. Suffice it to say, I enjoyed every minute I spent with my characters and hope you will as well.
✨ Gramy ✨
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the series. When you crack open this tale you will meet James 'Jamie' McDonald and Andrea Sullivan, and you will not be surprised that there was an instant attraction between the two of them. These people lived high profile lives and you may have difficulty identifying with their professions. But you can easily identify with their feelings.

The well-rounded characters were complex (starting off somewhat stiffly) and self-restrained (able to control their sexual desires)
Emilee
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If ever a book made me want to visit the setting, Five Days in Skye is it! Scotland is so beautifully written. Along with this wonderful setting, is a sweet story of finding true love. James is every bit as awesome as I had heard. This book definitely met my expectations. I would recommend it to fans of contemporary romance.
Melanie
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, may-2020
I first heard about Five Days in Skye several years ago, but never got around to reading it until now. It was everything I had hoped for and more! I started the book and could right away tell that the heroine had spunk and I loved it! The way she and James met was just hilarious and I couldn't help laughing!

Speaking of James...I loved his character. He had flaws, which made him real, and I thought the way he cared for Andrea was amazing...I especially loved how he listened to her story and didn
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I have a new favorite author and a new favorite book! I practically swallowed this book whole; it was that excellent. Carla Laureano’s writing voice lilts warmly and engagingly and immerses you in the story until you become part of the scene rather than just reading words on the page. The characters reached out and introduced themselves to me … and then quickly became old friends I was joining on their journey. I hadn’t read more than 2 or 3 pages before t ...more
Loraine
First, I have to say that contemporary romance fiction is not my favorite genre; so a Christian romance has to be really good to make me say AHHH! But Carla Laureano's debut novel definitely landed in the "Ahhhhh category." There were so many things I really loved about this book. The incredible descriptions of Scotland and the Isle of Skye, in particular, created mental pictures that had me walking the hills of Scotland along with Andrea and James. Her descriptions of James' delectable dining d ...more
Sarah Monzon
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just as good the second time around
Kav
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whooossshhhh! That's the sound of my pent-up breath releasing in a swoony sigh of satisfaction! I don't think my toes are ever going to uncurl! That Jamie....just thinking about him gives me heart palpitations. So please excuse this romantically-addle-brained review, but once you meet this hero, you'll totally understand. And then we can lounge on our fainting couches and commiserate with each other because Andrea gets the man. :-)

And I'm totally enamored over the setting! I mean, hello, it's Sc
Lori
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! I loved everything about this book. The setting was absolutely beautiful and makes me want to take a trip to Scotland. The author did a fabulous job of with making the chemistry between James and Andrea sizzle 🔥, while keeping the content clean.
Evangeline
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blogreads
The best kind of escape read is one that does your soul good while your brain is soaking in endorphin bubble bath. Five Days in Skye is exactly that kind of read. With romantic chemistry from page one, a setting to make Rick Steves pack his bags, and luscious details—the food, the shoes, the guy!!—to satisfy every woman’s dreams, this book delivers the perfect holiday.

Andrea Sullivan is a high-powered career woman on track to a promotion when an unexpected incident throws her off course and into
Andrea Cox
by Andrea Renee Cox

Have you ever been whisked to a far-off land by reading fiction?

I certainly have, many times. But this time was different. Five Days in Skye was written so exquisitely that I could smell the briny air and taste the scrumptious meals James created for the fictional Andrea. If this book was a debut for Carla Laureano, there are no boundaries to where her writing journey may take her. "Master storyteller" comes to mind, but I'm not sure it's a strong enough phrase.

Must say, thoug
Amanda G. Stevens
James MacDonald and Andrea Sullivan are two utterly successful people--he a celebrity chef, she a hospitality consultant known at her firm as the closer. Both of them think they're satisfied with their career-driven lives, until said careers force them to work together. Neither expects to confront old wounds, to reexamine the paths they've chosen, or to fall in love. But all these things happen when they spend five days together in Skye.

Speaking of Skye, the book exudes a breathtaking sense of p
Becky
Jul 08, 2013 added it
Five Days in Skye swept me away to Scotland! Against the craggy beauty of the Isle of Skye author Carla Laureano weaves a story of love between an American businesswoman and a Scottish celebrity chef. Fans of the movie The Holiday are sure to enjoy this contemporary romance. Laureano's voice is deft, seamless, and wonderfully accomplished. An exciting newcomer to the world of Christian fiction! Congratulations, Carla, on your debut novel.
Cindy Wilson
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’m powerless against a book that blends romance, spirituality, and strong characters who capture my heart. Five Days in Skye did it all, accomplishing it so seamlessly, I hardly realized I wasn’t right there with the characters. I rooted for James and Andrea the entire book, along for a ride that made me smile, reflect, and wish for more. Five Days in Skye is a must read!
Janet Ferguson
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, adult
This book is for you if you are mostly a romance readers. The hero is great! What I really enjoyed about it, though, was the descriptions of Scotland! I'm really wanting to go there now!
Dee/ bookworm
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story. it had a few unanswered questions at the end, but most of them weren't really important. Still I'd like to think she got her coat back :)
Iola
Andrea Sullivan may have sabotaged her career with that last potential client. Now, as punishment, she has to convince TV chef James MacDonald, owner of three Michelin-starred London restaurants, that her company is perfect to help him renovate and market the family hotel he has inherited on the Isle of Skye. She has just a few days, and her job is on the line.

There is an immediate attraction when Andrea and James meet, but Andrea wants nothing to do with men, and especially wants nothing to do
Kathy
What a pleasant surprise! I really enjoyed this one, it was perfect to read while curled up on a Sunday afternoon. I was drawn in right from the start, Andrea and James have a great first meeting. I love stuff like that (you'll have to read it to see for yourself). Andrea is a no-nonsense business woman. She works hard and has no time for relationships. Then she meets James MacDonald and her life is turned upside down. James was great, I liked him right from the start. He was a good combination ...more
Lynne Stringer
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I wish there was a half star option, because I would have like to give this book three and a half stars, because I felt it was just short of the four star mark.

It is an enjoyable romance and I liked both lead characters and felt they were well drawn, although I felt Andrea did protest too much about not liking James, then liking James, then not wanting the relationship, etc. I also thought the Christian content felt a little forced. It didn't always feel like it was a part of the story. Perhaps
Serena Chase
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
review to come in June! But... this story and these characters simply captured me. Loved! Hated when it was over, sigh.
Tito
Wow it's been forever since I've written review, and I guess part of it is because it's been so difficult for me to find really good books to read. It really sucks being in a reading slump :/

To be honest, I was really hoping this book would pull me out of that slump, and it's not that it was a bad novel, but it just wasn't all that memorable. The main characters were likable, but they didn't really stand out to me. The side characters definitely seemed to have more interesting stories, and I'm
Renee
Charming story of a 2nd chance at love with a touch of faith to ground the fun in truth. Enjoyable!
Susan Snodgrass
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading this book. For the SECOND time!
I loved it the first time and I lived it even more the second time.

Carla Laureano writes this story so well, I felt like I was along for the ride. The characters were my friends and the way she describes the Scottish scenery, I felt like I was there!

James and Andrea were flawed folks who needed to let God in to do His amazing work of grace and healing in their lives.

I felt their pain and rejoiced with them in happy moments. This booj is som
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I felt like I was on vacation in Scotland while reading this book! The setting was very much a main character. I didn't have a great first impression of Andrea or James, but as their true natures and emotions were revealed and they opened up to each other they became easy to connect with. I don't know if I could trust such a whirlwind start to a relationship, but it was sure fun to read about :) The romantic chemistry was wonderful, especially with the tension of holding themselves back. Sweet e ...more
Andrea Grigg
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from the moment I started it. It has a beautiful setting, great dialogue, believable characters and a HEA, but the clincher for me was this. Five Days in Skye is a Christian novel yet it showed spiritual growth in the main characters without being 'religious'. A huge tick from me because of that. Can't wait to read Carla's next book.
Carol Preston
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this story set in Skye as it reminded me of my visit there and the descriptions of the environment were great. Romance lovers will really enjoy this as the development of the relationship between the two main characters is spicy and well done. The story around the romance lingered but I would have liked a bit more of that. Still, well worth reading.
Brenda
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was just what I needed to get me out of my reading slump. I loved all the descriptions of Scotland and Skye. I was Googling images of every place they visited and every hotel mentioned. It was practically a virtual holiday. And a very cheap one considering I scored this book as an Amazon freebie! I'm looking forward to the upcoming books in the series.
Clara
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
Wow, here's a solid and mature writer that is a must-read

Andrea and James are full of flaws, enough to make them doubt themselves when it comes to wise choices. They are both successful career-wise, which is what makes their paths cross. Nevertheless, when it comes to finding healing and peace, they're just getting by, assuming they have personally run too far from it.

And though five days seems too fast to fall in love, when they enraptured by the beauty and quietness of Skye, watching with sole
Brandy Bruce
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful romance! Makes me want to go to Scotland!
Velma
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this romance, and the descriptions of Skye, Scotland made me add it to my bucket list. I look forward to the next book in the series.

• Start With Me
  • Driftwood Dreams (Carolina Coast #2)
  • Carolina Breeze (Bluebell Inn Romance, #2)
  • Sea Glass Castle (Carolina Coast #3)
  • Vying for the Viscount (Hearts on the Heath)
  • Autumn Skies (Bluebell Inn Romance #3)
  • On a Coastal Breeze (Three Sisters Island, #2)
  • Stay with Me (A Misty River Romance, #1)
  • Just Like Home (Harbor Pointe, #4)
  • A Portrait of Loyalty (The Codebreakers, #3)
  • A Match Made at Christmas
  • Then There Was You
  • The Heart of a Hero (Global Search and Rescue, #2)
  • A Gilded Lady (Hope and Glory, #2)
  • Just One Kiss (Harbor Pointe, #3)
  • The Light at Wyndcliff (Cornwall, #3)
  • Paper Hearts
  • To Love a Prince (True Blue Royal, #1)
Carla Laureano is the RITA® Award-winning author of contemporary inspirational romance and Celtic fantasy (asC.E. Laureano). A graduate of Pepperdine University, she worked as a sales and marketing executive for nearly a decade before leaving corporate life behind to write fiction full-time. She currently lives in Denver with her husband and two sons, where she writes during the day and cooks thin ...more

MacDonald Family Trilogy (3 books)
  • London Tides (MacDonald Family Trilogy, #2)
  • Under Scottish Stars (MacDonald Family Trilogy #3)

News & Interviews

“I love old places,” she said. “They have weight to them. Sometimes New York feels so transitory. Even London with all its history doesn’t have the same feel as Scotland.”
“The cities are too busy.” He shifted so he blocked some of the wind for her. “The quiet is deep here.” She glanced up at him, surprised by how well he understood her thoughts. “That’s exactly what it is. Deep quiet.”
5 likes
“Now I think, if this was my last day on earth, was it a worthwhile way to spend it?” 0 likes