Start by marking “Five Days in Skye (MacDonald Family Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Five Days in Skye (MacDonald Family Trilogy, #1)

Five Days in Skye

(MacDonald Family Trilogy #1)

Hospitality consultant Andrea Sullivan has one last chance to snag a high-profile client or she'll have to kiss her dreams of promotion good-bye. When she's sent to meet Scottish celebrity chef James MacDonald on the Isle of Skye, she just wants to finish her work as efficiently as possible. Yet her client is not the opportunistic womanizer he portrays himself to be, and h ...more
Published June 10th 2013 by David C. Cook

Carla Laureano
May 08, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
It seems a bit self-serving to rate and review the book considering I wrote it, but that blank rating space stares at me every time I log on. Suffice it to say, I enjoyed every minute I spent with my characters and hope you will as well.
✨ Gramy ✨
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the series. When you crack open this tale you will meet James 'Jamie' McDonald and Andrea Sullivan, and you will not be surprised that there was an instant attraction between the two of them. These people lived high profile lives and you may have difficulty identifying with their professions. But you can easily identify with their feelings.

The well-rounded characters were complex (starting off somewhat stiffly) and self-restrained (able to control their sexual desires)
Emilee
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If ever a book made me want to visit the setting, Five Days in Skye is it! Scotland is so beautifully written. Along with this wonderful setting, is a sweet story of finding true love. James is every bit as awesome as I had heard. This book definitely met my expectations. I would recommend it to fans of contemporary romance.
Loraine
First, I have to say that contemporary romance fiction is not my favorite genre; so a Christian romance has to be really good to make me say AHHH! But Carla Laureano's debut novel definitely landed in the "Ahhhhh category." There were so many things I really loved about this book. The incredible descriptions of Scotland and the Isle of Skye, in particular, created mental pictures that had me walking the hills of Scotland along with Andrea and James. Her descriptions of James' delectable dining d ...more
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I have a new favorite author and a new favorite book! I practically swallowed this book whole; it was that excellent. Carla Laureano’s writing voice lilts warmly and engagingly and immerses you in the story until you become part of the scene rather than just reading words on the page. The characters reached out and introduced themselves to me … and then quickly became old friends I was joining on their journey. I hadn’t read more than 2 or 3 pages before t ...more
Kav
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whooossshhhh! That's the sound of my pent-up breath releasing in a swoony sigh of satisfaction! I don't think my toes are ever going to uncurl! That Jamie....just thinking about him gives me heart palpitations. So please excuse this romantically-addle-brained review, but once you meet this hero, you'll totally understand. And then we can lounge on our fainting couches and commiserate with each other because Andrea gets the man. :-)

And I'm totally enamored over the setting! I mean, hello, it's Sc
Sarah Monzon
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just as good the second time around
Evangeline
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blogreads
The best kind of escape read is one that does your soul good while your brain is soaking in endorphin bubble bath. Five Days in Skye is exactly that kind of read. With romantic chemistry from page one, a setting to make Rick Steves pack his bags, and luscious details—the food, the shoes, the guy!!—to satisfy every woman’s dreams, this book delivers the perfect holiday.

Andrea Sullivan is a high-powered career woman on track to a promotion when an unexpected incident throws her off course and into
Andrea Cox
by Andrea Renee Cox

Have you ever been whisked to a far-off land by reading fiction?

I certainly have, many times. But this time was different. Five Days in Skye was written so exquisitely that I could smell the briny air and taste the scrumptious meals James created for the fictional Andrea. If this book was a debut for Carla Laureano, there are no boundaries to where her writing journey may take her. "Master storyteller" comes to mind, but I'm not sure it's a strong enough phrase.

Must say, thoug
Amanda G. Stevens
James MacDonald and Andrea Sullivan are two utterly successful people--he a celebrity chef, she a hospitality consultant known at her firm as the closer. Both of them think they're satisfied with their career-driven lives, until said careers force them to work together. Neither expects to confront old wounds, to reexamine the paths they've chosen, or to fall in love. But all these things happen when they spend five days together in Skye.

Speaking of Skye, the book exudes a breathtaking sense of p
Dee/ bookworm
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story. it had a few unanswered questions at the end, but most of them weren't really important. Still I'd like to think she got her coat back :)
Iola
Andrea Sullivan may have sabotaged her career with that last potential client. Now, as punishment, she has to convince TV chef James MacDonald, owner of three Michelin-starred London restaurants, that her company is perfect to help him renovate and market the family hotel he has inherited on the Isle of Skye. She has just a few days, and her job is on the line.

There is an immediate attraction when Andrea and James meet, but Andrea wants nothing to do with men, and especially wants nothing to do
Lynne Stringer
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I wish there was a half star option, because I would have like to give this book three and a half stars, because I felt it was just short of the four star mark.

It is an enjoyable romance and I liked both lead characters and felt they were well drawn, although I felt Andrea did protest too much about not liking James, then liking James, then not wanting the relationship, etc. I also thought the Christian content felt a little forced. It didn't always feel like it was a part of the story. Perhaps
Becky
Jul 08, 2013 added it
Five Days in Skye swept me away to Scotland! Against the craggy beauty of the Isle of Skye author Carla Laureano weaves a story of love between an American businesswoman and a Scottish celebrity chef. Fans of the movie The Holiday are sure to enjoy this contemporary romance. Laureano's voice is deft, seamless, and wonderfully accomplished. An exciting newcomer to the world of Christian fiction! Congratulations, Carla, on your debut novel.
Cindy Wilson
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’m powerless against a book that blends romance, spirituality, and strong characters who capture my heart. Five Days in Skye did it all, accomplishing it so seamlessly, I hardly realized I wasn’t right there with the characters. I rooted for James and Andrea the entire book, along for a ride that made me smile, reflect, and wish for more. Five Days in Skye is a must read!
Serena Chase
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
review to come in June! But... this story and these characters simply captured me. Loved! Hated when it was over, sigh.
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
What a pleasant surprise! I really enjoyed this one, it was perfect to read while curled up on a Sunday afternoon. I was drawn in right from the start, Andrea and James have a great first meeting. I love stuff like that (you'll have to read it to see for yourself). Andrea is a no-nonsense business woman. She works hard and has no time for relationships. Then she meets James MacDonald and her life is turned upside down. James was great, I liked him right from the start. He was a good combination ...more
Susan Snodgrass
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading this book. For the SECOND time!
I loved it the first time and I lived it even more the second time.

Carla Laureano writes this story so well, I felt like I was along for the ride. The characters were my friends and the way she describes the Scottish scenery, I felt like I was there!

James and Andrea were flawed folks who needed to let God in to do His amazing work of grace and healing in their lives.

I felt their pain and rejoiced with them in happy moments. This booj is som
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I felt like I was on vacation in Scotland while reading this book! The setting was very much a main character. I didn't have a great first impression of Andrea or James, but as their true natures and emotions were revealed and they opened up to each other they became easy to connect with. I don't know if I could trust such a whirlwind start to a relationship, but it was sure fun to read about :) The romantic chemistry was wonderful, especially with the tension of holding themselves back. Sweet e ...more
Brenda
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was just what I needed to get me out of my reading slump. I loved all the descriptions of Scotland and Skye. I was Googling images of every place they visited and every hotel mentioned. It was practically a virtual holiday. And a very cheap one considering I scored this book as an Amazon freebie! I'm looking forward to the upcoming books in the series.
Carol Preston
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this story set in Skye as it reminded me of my visit there and the descriptions of the environment were great. Romance lovers will really enjoy this as the development of the relationship between the two main characters is spicy and well done. The story around the romance lingered but I would have liked a bit more of that. Still, well worth reading.
Andrea Grigg
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from the moment I started it. It has a beautiful setting, great dialogue, believable characters and a HEA, but the clincher for me was this. Five Days in Skye is a Christian novel yet it showed spiritual growth in the main characters without being 'religious'. A huge tick from me because of that. Can't wait to read Carla's next book.
Jane Potter
I loved this book from the moment I cracked the cover. The characters are deeply developed and flawed, like old friends. The setting is picturesque and moving. The love story is thrilling, passionate, and human.

I absolutely love James and Andrea's journey together and the way they build each other up and bring out the best in one another. They are flawed people with dark mistakes in their pasts. But they allow God to redeem them. They allow faith to triumph over fear. They seek love over loneli
Brandy Bruce
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful romance! Makes me want to go to Scotland!
April Jones
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to read the entire book in one sitting. It offered a wonderful escape, thanks to a beautifully descriptive setting and a dreamy male character.
Regan Walker
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Inspirational Contemporary Skye Experience

Having just spent several days on the Isle of Skye, I thought to read this to see if it lived up to its promise. (I really think the title should have been Five Days On Skye as Skye is an island, not a city, but oh well.)

A contemporary, and a sweet romance, this is the story of Andrea Sullivan, a hotel consultant, who puts together big deals for a living. But her boss has taken her off an account because she rejected the client’s unwelcome attentions, an
Tara
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
January 2015--just as good the second time around! I can't wait for the next book in the series and to hopefully get a peek into James and Andrea's future!

January 2014-- A few things I love in a book: a misunderstood hero...tension and chemistry between the main characters--with authentic, clean romance (and a few great kisses thrown in) that makes my heart skip a beat... when I feel like I can see the movie version in my head as I'm reading... a setting that I can fall in love with almost as mu
Paula Vince
Andrea Sullivan is a business consultant who had hoped to be soaking up the sun at Tahiti. Instead, because she resisted the lecherous advances of her most recent client and lost the contract, she is forced to try to catch up. The coveted position of company VP she's hoping for may be at risk, so she's heading off to Scotland's Isle of Skye to assess a new hotel/restaurant for James MacDonald, a celebrity chef with a rakish reputation. And she's feeling pretty grouchy about it.

I enjoyed this boo
Misty
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
James MacDonald is a world famous chef with several restaurants throughout England, a TV cooking show, and several cookbooks. Now he wants to focus on rebuilding his father’s hotel in Scotland. When his brother calls in Andrea Sullivan’s company which specializes in hospitality consulting, James is reluctant until he meets Andrea.

After defending herself from a client, Andrea Sullivan gives up her Tahiti vacation and goes to Scotland to meet the famous chef James MacDonald to assess his hotel and
Kathy Jo
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-fiction, owned
Five Days in Skye is really cute! I enjoyed it once I got out of my cranky mood and was able to actually read. Loved James! He was amazing! Andrea got on my nerves at first but once I got into the book I knew something horrible had to have happened to her to be the way she was. And of course I ended up loving her too. I loved James' family as well. Little Emmy was adorable and made me smile.

I have to say I usually stay away from religious type books because I have read way too many that are ove
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• A February Bride (A Year of Weddings, #3)
  • Made to Last (Where Love Begins, #1)
  • Wildflowers from Winter
  • Catch a Falling Star
  • The Wishing Season (Chapel Springs, #3)
  • Seeker of Stars
  • Meant to be Mine (Porter Family, #2)
  • The Language of Sparrows
  • Tomorrow's Sun (Lost Sanctuary #1)
  • Until I Found You
  • Mistaken: First Impressions Are Never What They Seem
  • One Among Men (The Maryland State University #1)
  • Her Minnesota Man
  • The Remedy (Eyes of E'veria, #2)
  • Gone South
  • Jaded (Mended Hearts #1)
Carla Laureano is the RITA® Award-winning author of contemporary inspirational romance and Celtic fantasy (asC.E. Laureano). A graduate of Pepperdine University, she worked as a sales and marketing executive for nearly a decade before leaving corporate life behind to write fiction full-time. She currently lives in Denver with her husband and two sons, where she writes during the day and cooks thin ...more

MacDonald Family Trilogy (3 books)
  • London Tides (MacDonald Family Trilogy, #2)
  • Under Scottish Stars (MacDonald Family Trilogy, #3)
“I love old places,” she said. “They have weight to them. Sometimes New York feels so transitory. Even London with all its history doesn’t have the same feel as Scotland.”
“The cities are too busy.” He shifted so he blocked some of the wind for her. “The quiet is deep here.” She glanced up at him, surprised by how well he understood her thoughts. “That’s exactly what it is. Deep quiet.”
4 likes
“It’s easy to say you’ll make time for what’s important tomorrow. But we’re only guaranteed this particular moment. Life’s too short to rush through it.” 0 likes