Start by marking “Wendigo Fever (Warden, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wendigo Fever (Warden, #1)

Wendigo Fever

(Warden #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  207 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Part lawman, part tracker and part magician, the Wardens are monster-hunters - tasked with protecting the people from the various, nightmarish creatures that have invaded the world of men. However, despite being descended from a long line of Wardens, 16-year-old Errol Magnus believes it to be the absolute worst job on the planet: How could a single occupation simultaneousl ...more
Published April 27th 2013 by I&H Recherche Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Wendigo Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wendigo Fever

Sinisa Mikasinovic
I'll be completely honest here. I picked this book up because I saw Michael's name under 'Narrator'.

I knew absolutely nothing about the book, but this was enough for me to want to get it.

And made a mistake I did not.

Wendigo Fever certainly isn't a genre-defining masterpiece, but is still very good and enjoyable story.

Once again, it turned out to be a fantasy supernatural novel, and once again I really liked it.

Kevin Hardman started a trilogy about Wardens, protectors of the people. Wardens are m
Jordan Robinson
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone that likes fantasy or finds various monsters interesting.

The characters are solid. I can relate to the main character as I would feel just as reluctant to undertake being a Warden, the town monster hunter. His brother, Tom, is the actual Warden but Tom but Errol, the main character, through all the routines so that he's ready if he ever needs the skills. (Not really) Spoiler alert: He does come to need them.

The relationships in the book were a plus
Emily Ross
I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.

This is a short novel that begins the Warden series. A Warden is somebody who takes care of their local town and protects it from creatures, like the titular wendigo. Errol, the apprentice to his brother who is the town Warden, is thrust into the role that he doesn't want after his brother goes missing. Accompanied by a girl from the town, they set off to discover what happened to his brother.

I liked
Hazel West
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thoughts on the Overall Book: I love books with monsters and beasties in them, especially when they go the traditional rout as in, the monsters are actually monsters and not the love interests. There's a sad lack of those kinds of books, especially in YA, so I was excited to find this one and to have the chance to read and review it.

Cover--Yea or Nay: Not my favorite cover ever, but it's not terribly either.

Characters: Errol was a likable protagonist. Even though in the beginning of the book he
Beverly Laude
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, audio, fantasy
The world is full of creatures that can kill you & people rely on the Wardens to protect them. Tom is a warden & Errol, his younger brother, is a reluctant assistant. Errol's opinion is that being a Warden both the most boring & most dangerous job around!

When Tom leaves on a journey, Errol expects him back in a few days. He puts off doing any Warden activities until he just can't hedge anymore. His first solo job is against a Revenant, a murdered person who is seeking revenge.

With th
chucklesthescot
*I received a free copy of this book from the author through Goodreads in return for an honest review*

Errol and his older brother Tom are Wardens, who patrol the Badlands keeping local people and their farms safe from the deadly creatures and monsters that live there, risking their lives on a daily basis. When Tom goes missing, it is up to young Errol to find his brother, while being tracked by the deadly Wendigo which devours human flesh.

Errol is the reluctant hero, forced to study monsters and
Sigourney
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, for-review
A copy of Warden was kindly sent to me by Kevin Hardman in exchange for an honest review.

It always pleases me beyond belief when a book I receive for review turns out to be brilliant. Warden is a fast paced, well written and thrilling novella, and I found myself unable to put it down. The action really picked up a few chapters in and from that point on it was unrelenting action and tension.

The characters are fantastic (I think Dorsey is my favourite). Errol is a reluctant hero who, naturally
Joseph Thomas
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wendigo Fever is a short novel that introduces the book series "Wardens". Wardens are monster hunters trained to deal with monsters and creatures roaming the world.
Intro novel does not go into detail on how these creatures came to the earth, or history of Wardens but focuses on Errol the younger brother to Tom, a Warden. Errol has no interest in becoming a Warden. When his older brother Tom goes missing, Errol is thrown into assuming the duties of his brother as well as investigating his disapp
Trisha Perry
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When Errol's brother, the warden, goes out on a job one night but doesn't return Errol is force from apprenticeship into being a warden fast. Besides taking care of the town he is to protect he also wants to find out what happened to his brother. It is no secret Wardens die young, but not usually without a trace, so he sets out to find out what he can and one of the towns girls goes with him after she kind of gets him in a lot of trouble with a revenant.

I don't want to say to much for fear of sp
Nina DuBois
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book turned out to be more interesting than I expected. The Warden's are very intriguing and it awesome that they hunt down creatures. So while its no shocker that this book features a Wendigo, it was still very exciting.

This book is about Errol who is a Warden. He goes searching for his brother Tom, who went missing. In his search for his brother he discovers a Wendigo and soon it is stalking them. Errol must use all the training he got from his brother and his knowledge of this deadly mo
Mandy
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book reminded me of Supernatural the tv show even has two brothers who deal with the supernatural and keep it at bay from the human world but unlike supernatural these brothers have magic and spells they use. Great fast paced action book.
Cally Walker
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now this is fun

A brief review of monsters and things that go bump in the night, and someone ha to take care of them, right ?
Donald Hornbaker
An interesting work

I really enjoyed this book. I am looking forward to reading the next one in this series. I recommend this to all readers of fantasy and magic.
Justin Sylvia
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm not really sure how I came upon this book. This wasn't exactly what I suppose I was hoping for after reading the synopsis of this book from Audible. The premise itself is kind of cool & it feels like the two main characters, brothers who are Wardens...part magicians, part lawman, part trackers are doing something that if I could choose a mythical job, it actually might be this job. Apparently Errol the younger of the two brothers doesn't share my sentiment. However, Errol is forced to do ...more
Rustin Petrae
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warden is the second Kevin Hardman novel that I read and while Sensation was an overtly super-hero infused novel with a lot of sci-fi elements thrown in (and the occasional mystical/magical elements), Warden is the complete opposite. It deals with the arkane and the supernatural. Magic and monsters galore. And it was pretty good, if you ask me.

The things that I liked:

First of all, definitely the magic. I have always been a huge fan of stories that involve magic. I liked the way Kevin used it in
 Marla
3.5 stars. Scary but too short. Really enjoyed it, the only reason I couldn't give it a higher than average rating was it was too short and left me wanting more monsters and more character development and maybe another story line woven in. Reminded me of Last Apprentice series (or Wardstone Chronicles) by Joseph Delaney and that is high praise in my book.

Likes:
* Wardens being monster-hunters using weapons, magic and their wits
* Errol making mistakes and learning from them
* Errol not slacking off
Ben Langdon
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: march-challenge
The Warden series is shaping up to be a pretty good horror/fantasy series. I'm rating it at a 4, although only just. There are some positives and drawbacks to the book, but overall I think it sits in the 4 star range. I received a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Positives:
1. The greatest thing about the story is the development of character. I've recently read Hardman's 'Sensation' book about a teen superhero, and there has been a lot of improvement in characterization. Th
Satinder
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
* I reviewed this book as part of Read it and Reap*

Wendigo Fever follows the adventures of 16 year old Errol as he searches for his missing brother in the dangerous world of the Badlands. This book was labelled YA but I felt it was more of a children's book. That is not a criticism of the author; as a kid's book it is brilliant, had I been a younger reader I would have loved it. It is a frolicking, adventure-type fantasy with a fairy-tale feel and as such, a little light for me.

The world-buildin
Michael Tankersley
I would like to, first of all, thank the author for the opportunity to read this book in exchange of a fair review.

I found this book to be greatly to my liking. The main focus of the book is about the other brother, the one who was supposed to go out into the world to better things while big brother carried out the family heritage. When big brother comes up missing in action it falls to him to find his brother and save the "ward" from monsters and certain disaster.

Of course there has to be a st
Renee Deschamps
I was given the book "Warden: Wendigo Fever" by Kevin Hardman through Goodreads Read it and Reap program, in exchange for an honest review.

This was a fun and fast read. It was easy to get caught up in the main plot, putting some of my fav characters (from my fav tv show) faces onto the brothers while they were hunting the Wendigo, as well as some other various monsters throughout the pages, keeps readers interested.

That being said, it was a refreshing break from day to day life, to get lost in
Eva Holmquist
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it

I liked this book very much... :-)

A horror novel with a reluctant hero with scary monsters and a believable character development. In the beginning I found it a bit slow, but it improved rapidly and proved itself to be a fun and engaging read. There was a lot of details which I enjoyed (I dont want to be more specific because I dont want to post spoilers). It was a bit short. More a novella than
Scott
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found the story fairly typical to start with usual young teen trying to do his best against a better more capable brother in the family business of monster hunting.
Did find it very interesting how the author had a take on this being a future world and how the monsters/demons had been introduced into this world and how humanity now existed.
Once the story pace picked up a bit i soon found it to be an excellent story.
So much so that i went looking for the kindle copy of it.
Usual sterling performan
Athena
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-blessings
It was a lovely fantasy short read!!
It was fun and adventurous..It had character...I liked it very much!!!

I loved the prologue and the epilogue..The prologue sparked my interest and the epilogue was intriguing and preparing us for the next book..
I also loved the progress Errol's character displayed..He started out as a boy in his own desires and dreams and the book ended with him as a responsible loyal man..

I seriously recommend it,if you like fantasy...
Geli
Dec 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mages
Somewhat lacking, though that might be because I didn't have the time to immerse myself into the world. I will revisit it later.
Victoria Zigler
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book, which is well worth reading. It's an entertaining and enjoyable read with a plot that keeps you guessing.
Victoria M Morton
Engrossing!

I love a book you can barely put down. I want more! I hope it's a long series. A very long series.
Iftekhar
  • Edgewise
  • The Dream of a Thousand Nights
  • Hero
  • Wayward Grace
  • The Extraordinary Life of Lara Craft (not Croft)
  • The Lake
  • Matt Archer: Monster Summer (Matt Archer #1.5)
  • Lovers, Dreamers and Me
  • Northwoods
  • The Wild (The Secret Journeys of Jack London, #1)
  • Reap (Reap, #1)
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 305
  • The Resurrected: Part One
  • The Betrayal of Renegade X (Renegade X, #3)
  • Clockwork Tangerine
  • Greeting Cards

Warden (4 books)
  • Lure Of The Lamia (Warden, #2)
  • Attack of the Aswang (Warden, #3)
  • Untitled (Warden, #4)
“Hey!  Over here!” The revenant turned towards him. “Death!  Revenge!” “Yes,” Errol answered. “I know you were wronged, but you’re harming innocents.” “Death!  Revenge!” “I understand that, but–” “Death!  Revenge!” Errol sighed. Revenants were perversely single-minded” 1 likes
“Tom was quite rare in having the talent to actually summon them.  (Errol, however, saw little value in a skill that allowed you to beckon things that only wanted to eat you.)” 0 likes