Start by marking “Shards of History (Shards of History, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shards of History (Shards of History, #1)

Shards of History (Shards of History #1)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Feared and reviled, the fierce, winged creatures known as Jeguduns live in the cliffs surrounding the Taakwa valley. When Malia discovers an injured Jegudun in the valley, she risks everything — exile from the village, loss of her status as clan mother in training, even her life — to befriend and save the surprisingly intelligent creature. But all of that pales when she le ...more
Trade Paperback, Trade Paperback, 324 pages
Published May 21st 2013 by World Weaver Press (first published August 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shards of History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shards of History

Maria
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shards of History has to be one of the most beautifully written novels I have ever read - both visually and metaphorically. Rebecca Roland has the ability to capture you with her stunning descriptions of the world surrounding the Taakwa people, Jegudun creatures and yes, even some dragons.

Our protagonist, Malia, is a strong-willed, selfless, courageous and unyielding woman - so, needless to say, I love her! She comes from a village where typical gender roles are reversed and women have all the p
Amalia Dillin
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a great, rich world, and a wonderfully strong woman as the protagonist, who led us on a very natural journey of growth. There are so many possibilities and doors left open for exploration in this world, still, too, and I'm curious to see if it becomes a series.
A.M. Leibowitz
This is a terrific beginning to the series. Although it does end with some loose threads, it can still be enjoyed as a complete story. The main plot of the book resolves by the conclusion.

The world-building here is excellent. While there are some longer descriptive passages, they pertain mostly to providing us a visual of the countryside, home life for Malia and her people, and the encampment of the Maddion. Nothing feels like too much or as though it’s there only for exposition. For the most pa
Carolyn-anne Templeton
First, I want to start a fan club for Enuwal. The novel really turns the traditional alpha male/submissive female trope on it's head. And damn it, sweet, adorable guys are hot. For some reason, don't ask me why, he reminds me of Ren from Gabriel's Ghost (who, unlike this book, was the only redeeming quality of an otherwise horrible book), which is a BIG PLUS.

The lead character, Malia, is very strong and encounters her travails with an admirable amount of confidence that is, refreshingly, not br
Nicole Bates
Rebecca Roland's first novel, Shards of History, is a beautiful blend of historical fiction and fantasy. The Taakwa, a tribal people much like the Native Americans of the southwestern United States, live in fear of the Jegudun, an avian species that they believe to be their life-long enemies. What the Taakwa don't realize is that the real threat comes from the dragon-riding Maddion, a people they have labeled The Outsiders.

One woman, Malia, learns the truth about the Jegudun, and her own people'
Susan Sullivan
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! The world building is so refreshing and captivating and the jeguduns are fascinating. Malia is a compelling heroine and I found myself wanting to live in her world. Frankly, I'd tired of traditional fantasy years ago, but I gobbled up this fantasy novel like candy. Can't wait for the sequel!!!! This book is amazing! I highly recommend it.
Richard Flores IV
Goodreads needs to add three more stars to their rating system just for this book. I loved everything about it. I love Malia and everyone she meets a long the way in her journey. The world is amazing, the description is awesome. I'm just simply in love with this book.
Chrisette Trevino
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Malia, clan woman in training, finds her life changed forever when the magic surrounding her valley fails & the Outsiders attack. The Taakwans & the Jeguduns find themselves having to work together in order to defeat Kushtrims' forces. Will they be able to put aside their fears & differences ? Will Malia be able to convince them all to come together ? Does she have enough experience in her young life to be able to consolidate them against the Outsiders ? Definitely a book to keep you ...more
HeatherAnne Norbury
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In terms of world building, Rebecca has done it beautifully in Shards of History. She eschews the traditional Medieval Europe angle of most fantasy novels for a decidedly American Indian one. Malia is a strong heroine who must make extremely dangerous choices, that fly in the face of generations of history, in order to save her people. In Malia's world, gender roles are somewhat reversed. I say “somewhat” because the men are still the hunters and warriors, but the women are the leaders and the m ...more
S.L. Saboviec
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shards of History proves that a book from a small press can be as absorbing, well-written, and well-edited as a book from a large press. The characters were realistic and the struggles were palpable; the writing propelled me through the pages.

My favorite portrayal was was Malia, such a strong yet vulnerable protagonist. She's stuck in crappy situation, with a husband she has to stay with because of her obligations to her village and a discovery that she can't unveil because of her society's prej
Amber
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This was a nicely written book and a good first book from this author.

According to oral history the Taakwa and Jegudun have always been at odds with each other. The Taakwa are not allowed to leave the valley or they'll be attacked by the Jegudun. When the main character Malia encounters one in the forest she begins to see that perhaps there is more to the Jegudun race then they know.

Some of the plot was a bit predictable. The world setting doesn't extend too far and some of it is presented rath
Eileen
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Young adults and those of us who've been reading fantasy for much longer, will love this one -- particularly since it eschews the second-world fantasy trope of pseudo-Medieval Europe in favor of the rich landscape of the Native American cultures of the Southwest.

The social and cultural dynamics build to a clash and crescendo at the end of the novel. And Malia is a heroine we can all root for! Not some fainting flower, she defies the men in her life to save her people, and as it turns out, fix th
Linn
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-read
A nice new world setting and interesting plot. Somehow though it never fully caught my interest and maybe I guess it was because the writing style didn't appeal to me. I'm usually one for long descriptions and visual build up, whereas this was more plot driven.
Laura Harvey
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a fast, fun read. Roland creates an authentic feeling world populated by distinct creatures and cultures, magic and mayhem. Malia is a heroine from the start.
Tess
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book with it's imaginative world and characters. Roland makes them come to life and kept me guessing as to what would happen next. I like that! Looking forward to the next book.
Appleseed Girl
Brittany Elsen
Oct 25, 2013
TJ
Aug 29, 2015
  • Time Enough for Love (Italian Time Travel, #2)
  • Billy Purgatory: I Am the Devil Bird
  • Jaq's Harp (Future Tales, #1)
  • The Kiss Test
  • Moonlit Nights
  • Spider's Lullaby (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #1.5)
  • Storm Warning (East Coast of Scotland, #2)
  • Ashes (Arson, # 2)
  • Melt
  • Children of Sun and Moon (Skyfall, #1)
  • Faythe Reclaimed (Hanaford Park #3)
  • The Castings Trilogy (Castings, #1-3)
  • CaddyGirls
  • She Speaks to Angels (AngelFire Chronicles, #1)
  • Released (The Shapeshifters' Library, 1)
  • The Rake's Wicked Proposal (The Notorious St. Claires, #2)
  • Moon Spun (Unbidden Magic, #3)
  • The Last Slayer (The Heartstone Trilogy #1)
Rebecca is the author of the Shards of History series, The Necromancer's Inheritance series, and The King of Ash and Bones, and Other Stories. Her short fiction has appeared in publications such as Nature, Flash Fiction Online, Fantasy Scroll Magazine, New Myths, and Every Day Fiction, and she is a graduate of the Odyssey Writing Workshop. You can find out more about her and her work at rebeccarol ...more
More about Rebecca Roland

Shards of History (3 books)
  • Fractured Days
  • The King of Ash and Bones, and Other Stories

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
    $9.99 $2.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)