Start by marking “Stag Hunt” as Want to Read:
Stag Hunt

Stag Hunt

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In ancient Britannia, the warrior who brought down the king stag was named the defender of the land.

Eartha’s brother Balen has been in love with Princess Galiene since they were children. Upon the death of the High King, the tribesmen of the realm vie for the throne, and with it, the hand of the fair princess.

Balen is desperate to win his lady, but a rival tribesman is equ
Kindle Edition
Published May 1st 2013 by Pagan Writers Press (first published April 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Stag Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stag Hunt

Gloria Defeo
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stag Hunt is amazing tale that offers a little bit of pagan history with a twist. Eartha and Balen are siblings who are very close, and when he's unable to compete in the Stag Hunt because of an underhanded trick, Eartha takes matters into her own hands in a way that could go horribly wrong for a variety of reasons. This 30 page short story is loaded is action from sword fights to ancient rituals. Though written in the YA genre, this is a story that people of all ages will enjoy.
Sheila
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beautifully paired with a flash fiction short by Angelique Mroczka, Laura DeLuca’s evocative novella, Stag Hunt, brings Britannia of the dark ages to vivid life. The king is dead and the new queen decrees her champion will be the man who receives the gift of the stag’s dying life. A god gives himself for the land. A chosen champion gives loyalty and love. And a wise young woman values the power of honest affections.

Laura DeLuca’s writing is pleasingly evocative and the mythical sense of her stor
Heather andrews
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book starts off in action, which I like I hate when books beat around the bush to me that's just a waste of time, it's like GET ON WITH IT ALREADY! But not this book. Typical male, Balen is he gets butterflies like us ladies do when we're crushing hard on someone, "he gawked at her, his mouth hanging open for a few minutes, before making an awkward dash to join the other youths skipping rocks from the hill." Um.. really? you didn't say anything to Galiene geesh Balen! Balen is very in love w ...more
Michelle Cornwell-Jordan
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stag Hunt follows the story of Eartha, whose love for her twin brother causes her to make choices that is out of the norm for females during her time. The High King dies leaving Gailen, Eartha’s best friend, but also the princess, as next in line to rule. But tradition dictates that she is to find a husband. Gailen is deeply in love with Balen, Eartha’s twin brother, who Eartha is very protective towards. Gailen is distraught that another will be picked as her husband (for Balen is not considere ...more
C.p. Bialois
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a quick read that really struck a chord with me. I’m a huge fan of coming of age stories where the hero is a regular type who is put, or chooses to be, in extraordinary circumstances. And this fulfilled that perfectly.

The story was fast paced and engaging to the point where I didn’t have a problem envisioning the older forests of Britannia along with the people and customs. In many ways, it reminded me of some Native American legends where the braves are said to ask the animal’s spirit i
Literary  Chanteuse
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Eartha, is a courageous young woman of humble origins. She is also loyal to both her loved ones and to mother earth. When The high king falls in battle, his daughter Galiene must choose a husband and the successor. Eartha knows that her brother Balen will enter the dangerous ritual of the stag hunt. Not to win the crown but the hand of his childhood love Gailene. Knowing fate will have it's way she is determined that Balen will win. Even if she must enter in his place.

Set in ancient Britannia du
Lisa Markson
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing

First I have to say that I have read each and every book by this author Laura DeLuca and will continue to do so. There has never been a book that she has written that ever disappointed me. The book Stag Hunt made me think of the classic Disney story Mulan. She is very careful in drawing the reader in by giving such visual imagery of the surrounding environment. Each of her characters are given a three dimensional quality that you cant help but love and hope that love can persevere. Eartha takes
Merisha28
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stag Hunt by Laura DeLuca
I bought this book on amazon~~~~

This is a wonderful story with great visual scenes and characters. I've read alot of this authors work and am enamored by the way she writes and tells the story. This short Novella has the potential to be a full novel or a series if the author chooses to do so. This story has an awesome theme that is dear to my heart- that a woman can do anything when she puts here mind to it even if it means doing what is typically a man's job. The author
Barb Henderson
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stag hunt is a short novel that brings you back to an earlier time. The descriptions and emotions that the author produces has the reader travelling through the forest and feeling every reaction along with the heroine. Do not miss this novel
Maryann
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This short story is an original take on a ancient tradition. Beautifully written, it brings to life the world of ancient britaniana. There is lots of action and tender family moments. Loved it.
Jackie
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVED Stag Hunt! Very well written and captivating!
Beth
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This short story centers around Celtic pagan folklore, specifically the symbolism of hunting/killing the king stag to prove you're meant to be king of the land. I'm not sure if this is an actual historic Celtic occurrence or a neo-Pagan adaptation, but there's definitely an element of magical realism at play, so I'm calling it fantasy. It's a quick read, but a nicely empowering one.

I think the biggest thing I appreciated about this story was that the two female characters are both sympathetic. E
Ashley
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
I have read previous books by this author and truly enjoyed them. This book was no different.
This book revolves around the Stag Hunt that was done in Arthurian times. I truly enjoyed it. I liked the idea that a girl of that time could best all the boys in a dress no less. So when her twin brother falls ill and is unable to compete for the princesses hand and keep his true love forever she takes his place.
It was a fun and fluid tale and it was the perfect length. I loved the characters. I loved t
T.
May 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: freebies
This gets a 3 star rating because I found it lacking in character development, which is a large part of the enjoyment I get from the books I appreciate the most. I will say, I liked the storyline- it was fresh, although predictable after the first half. I liked the story, but it wasn't fantastic. It was free, and a pleasant read, but nothing you'll remember once you start the next book.
blub
The blurb pretty much sums up the story so there's not much to go over on that front. The general message about taking charge of ones life was nicely presented in this book. The character and world development could have used a bit of work but other than that not a bad book.
Misha Estrada
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, adventure
This is an entertaining short story suited to older kids. I really liked that it had a strong heroine.
Helen May
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A short story of an old time stag hunt with the winner to wed the queen and become king. Enjoyable and entertaining. Easy to read in a few hours.
Angie
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Eartha was such a strong person! It was a great short story and had a lot of action and drama packed into it. Great short story!
A.R. Von
  • HerStory: Fiction Honoring Women's History Month
  • A Celtic Tapestry
  • A Favorite Son
  • Children of the Tipi: Life in the Buffalo Days
  • Fate's Fables (Fate's Journey #1)
  • The Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff
  • Glastonbury: The Novel of Christian England
  • Just a Little Crazy
  • Summer Loving
  • A Murder Country
  • Genesis (Prophecy Rock Series Book 1)
  • From the Library of C. S. Lewis: Selections from Writers Who Influenced His Spiritual Journey (Writers' Palette Book)
Laura “Luna” DeLuca lives at the beautiful Jersey shore with her four children. In addition to writing fiction, Laura is also the editor of a popular review blog called New Age Mama. Her works include romantic thrillers, paranormal fiction, contemporary romance, and young adult. Visit her website at www.authorlauradeluca.blogspot.com for more information.
More about Laura DeLuca...