Start by marking “Horse Sense” as Want to Read:
Horse Sense

Horse Sense

There’s nothing easy about being an eleven year old boy, especially for Jamie. As he takes the unsteady steps into adolescence, his days of knowing who his friends are and trusting the adults in his life are numbered. The only thing Jamie can really count on in this changing world is the love of his best friend, a horse named Acorn. Jamie and Acorn’s friendship has a magic ...more
Published April 28th 2013 by Lapo Melzi

To ask other readers questions about Horse Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horse Sense

Anncleire
Letto in occasione del Gioco a Squadre - Città Rossa del Gruppo Reading Challenge

Task 1.20b: Un libro scritto in una lingua diversa dalla lingua nativa dell'autore

Real vote: 3,5

Ringrazio immensamente Lapo Melzi per avermi regalato la meravigliosa opportunità di leggere questo libro in cambio della mia onesta opinione.

Recensione anche sul mio blog:

“Horse Sense” è il primo libro di prosa di Lapo Melzi e mi è capitato per le mani tanto tempo fa, quando l’au
Serenity
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I got this book from the author and was excited to read this. First off just look at the cover! It very lovely and if you look close enough you will see shadows that will make you wonder.

Plus this book goes on the bully topic, which I know well. I have had people close to me who have been through it, so it was nice to read how Jamie got over it.

And there is a horse! What girl doesn't like a horse? Though if you are reading this, only do what you have read if you know how to handle a horse.
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)

Did I enjoy this book: Pretty much.

I should probably start with a disclaimer. I’m not really a YA fan. I’m typically not the EFC reviewer for this type of book, so I’m taking my best shot here.

What I liked: Eleven year old main character Jamie really figures out who he is and who he isn’t and ultimately stays true to himself. That’s a good message for kids his age because they really are trying to figure out the world and where they fit in.

I loved his relationship with his horse. I thin
Katie W
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
I've always loved horses. I think they're beautiful creatures, but I never realized how much personality they have. My youngest would love to have a horse of her own and I loved seeing the bond that this boy and his horse had with each other. Animals can be so loyal and fill the role of a best friend so easily.

I felt that there were two main themes to the story: bullying and that animal/boy bond. It's sad, but true--so many people are, or feel they are, bullied. It's a real issue and I was glad
Joy D. Fanning
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
*I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*

It's been a while since I've read a story with such a young protagonist, but it didn't really matter. As someone who was bullied myself growing up it was easy to relate to Jamie. Although I didn't have a horse to play with!

Besides being a story about finding yourself and being true to who you are, and overcoming bullies, I liked the bond between Jamie and Acorn. This book is a perfect example of how important animal relationships
Victoria Brinius
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was bullied in school and I had a cat. I can really relate to having a pet that makes you smile and helps you get through tough times. At one point I had 3 cats and 3 Shih Tzu's. Nothing beats the companionship of pets. The author did a great job of capturing how I felt. Jamie goes through a lot, and he also grows as a character. This is a coming of age story as well. This book should be in Guidance offices everywhere. Bullying is growing, and there is even cyber bullying now. There needs to b ...more
Kathlyn La
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells about bullying ( I think Acorn's eyes in the book cover represents it) and how the main character, Jamie, confronts and deals with it. Another thing, it is a story about Jamie's friendship bond with his horse whom he felt comfort.
Jamie's experiences somehow taught him to be a wiser kid.
I somewhat felt that this thoughtful book wanted to say something, make me feel something more.

I enjoyed following Jamie's jouney and struggles in life.
Based on what I have read about bullying,
Sierra Dobbie
I will begin with saying that I did receive this novel from the author in exchange for a honest review. When I first read the email from the author asking if I would like to review it, I was immediately drawn to the storyline. Typically, I enjoy reading books about real life experiences, including bullying, because I find it relate able. When I began reading it, though, I was shown that I couldn't relate to this novel as much as I thought I could.

I did not enjoy the characters in this novel. The
Sara Potyscki
Jun 25, 2016
Andrea
added it
Sep 28, 2017
Never Too Old For...: Read 4 Review #104 - Horse Sense (Closed) 21 44 Dec 11, 2013 08:44PM
Young Adult Reads: * Horse Sense - Lapo Melzi - r2r (125) signups 3 27 Aug 28, 2013 08:48PM
Lapo Melzi is a poet, writer and filmmaker. He grew up in a little town in the north of Italy and went on to study writing and filmmaking in New York. He received his MFA from renowned NYU Tisch School of the Arts and now spends his time between the United States and Italy.

Lapo Melzi è un poeta, scrittore e filmmaker. Cresciuto in un paesino nel nord Italia, ha studiato scrittura e cinematografia